2 Former Jets Sign With CFL AND AFL

jetsrule128

FORMER NFL FIRST-ROUND PICK MAYBIN READY TO ADJUST TO CFL

OAKVILLE, Ont. - It's a new game with a new team in a new city, but it's just football for linebacker Aaron Maybin.

The former NFL first-round draft pick participated in his first workout with the Toronto Argonauts on Monday, a day after joining the CFL club's practice roster. Maybin admits he's got much to learn about the Canadian game but isn't the least bit worried or intimidated about lining up a yard off the ball, playing three downs or having more ground on a longer, wider field.

"The way I see it I'm a football player, I adjust to whatever style I need to adjust to," he said. "It (Canadian field) is bigger than I'm used to but there's nothing intimidating about it, nothing too different.

"Football is football. You've just got to adjust and understand it's a part of the game. That (a yard off ball) is a difference but as I said athletes adjust so it shouldn't be a problem."

While Maybin is short on CFL experience he's not lacking in confidence.

"Talent," he said when asked what's the top attribute he brings to Toronto. "I'm not really a guy that harps on his own abilities too much.

"I feel like there are things I can bring to this team and obviously the coaches feel that way too. I'm just coming in, working hard, trying to do my best to help the guys on this team that have been working all year to get to the places they want to be really bad and that's a championship."

The 25-year-old Maybin wore No. 56 on Monday — former Giants star Lawrence Taylor was a favourite player when Maybin was growing up — and he'll be given every opportunity to learn quickly. The defending Grey Cup-champion Argos (11-6) have clinched first place in the East Division and home-field advantage for the conference final Nov. 17.

So Toronto could give Maybin an extensive audition Friday when it hosts Montreal in the regular-season finale for both teams. The Alouettes (7-10) will finish third in the division and face the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (9-8) in the conference semifinal Nov. 10 in Guelph, Ont.

Maybin is back playing football after being released by the Cincinnati Bengals in August. That certainly raises questions about his overall fitness and how quickly he can round into game shape, but Maybin downplayed those suggestions.

"It's a consideration, not really a concern," he said. "Just making sure I don't try to do too much too quick and end up injuring myself trying to get to where I want to be and understand I'm not there yet and I still have some work to do."

Buffalo had high expectations for Maybin when it took him 11th overall in the 2009 NFL draft after he led the Big 10 with 12 sacks in 10 starts at Penn State. The Bills signed Maybin to a five-year deal that reportedly included a US$7.087 signing bonus and $15 million in guaranteed money.

The six-foot-four Maybin entered the NFL listed at 250 pounds but reported to the Bills in '11 weighing just 228 pounds. Maybin's lack of size certainly didn't help as he failed to record a sack or crack Buffalo's starting lineup over two seasons (27 career games) before being released.

Maybin joined the New York Jets in August 2011 but was let go in November 2012. He signed with Cincinnati on Jan. 25 before being released Aug. 18 having recorded 36 tackles, six sacks and five forced fumbles over his NFL career.

The Argos will give Maybin every opportunity to rush the quarterback coming off the edge, and with good reason. Toronto's defence has just 38 sacks this season, second-lowest in the CFL.

Maybin still looked very long and lean Monday as he practised with the Argos at an Oakville high school. But he did show he has the speed and quick feet needed to play defence in the Canadian game.

"He can rush the passer, that's his history," Argos head coach Scott Milanovich said. "Tall, kind of lanky, great first step, good with his hands.

"This was our first day and I didn't get a chance to just concentrate on him but he looked like he was doing a nice job down there in one-on-ones. We're just seeing what he can bring to us as far as getting after the quarterback."

Maybin's arrival in Toronto will prompt suggestions he's using the Argos as a springboard back to the NFL. However, Maybin downplayed that suggestion.

"I'm just focused on this opportunity and this chance," he said. "I'm not really focused on anything to do with the NFL."

SHARKS INK FORMER NFL RECEIVER MARDY GILYARD
10/31/2013 4:56 PM

1dc462d55112d1ec0cbfd1e997a57597.300.jpg

JACKSONVILLE – The 2013 South Division Champion Jacksonville Sharks announced Thursday that the team has added a receiver with National Football League experience, as Mardy Gilyard has been assigned to the Jacksonville roster on a one-year rookie contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Though the 26-year-old Gilyard (6’1”, 200) is new to the Arena Football League, he brings extensive professional football experience to Jacksonville. Drafted by the St. Louis Rams in the fourth round (No. 99 overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft, Gilyard has logged stints with four different NFL organizations over the course of the last four seasons. He got his most significant playing time with the Rams in 2010, returning 16 kickoffs for a total of 356 yards in 11 games with the team. Gilyard also saw game action with both the New York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles in 2012. In addition, Gilyard worked with the Kansas City Chiefs prior to the 2013 NFL season.

For his NFL career, Gilyard has totaled eight receptions for 78 yards. Most recently, he signed with the Canadian Football League’s Montreal Alouettes earlier this month, but was released from the team’s practice roster on October 24.

Before turning pro, Gilyard starred at the University of Cincinnati, where he was named to the All-Big East First Team and selected as Big East Special Teams Player of the Year after both his junior and senior seasons. As a senior in 2009, Gilyard racked up 87 receptions for 1,191 yards and 11 touchdowns, adding two kick return touchdowns and one punt return touchdown as well. Gilyard capped that impressive senior season by earning Offensive Player of the Game honors in the 2010 Senior Bowl, catching five passes for 103 yards and a touchdown in that game.

In 2008, Gilyard set a UC single-season receiving record with 1,276 yards on his 81 catches, scoring 11 touchdowns through the air in the process. He also excelled as a kick returner, scoring two touchdowns while leading the Big East with an average of 28.0 yards per runback. Gilyard also totaled 36 receptions for 536 yards and three touchdowns as a redshirt sophomore in 2007.

A Florida native, Gilyard was a First-team Class 5A all-state selection at Flagler Palm Coast High School, where he totaled 2,500 yards and three touchdowns during his prep career. Gilyard also excelled in track and field, earning three all-league and all-state selections.

Gilyard was supposed to be a track and field guy in high school as well as a football player, but his 40 time was 4.52.  Not terrible, not great.  Maybe his track events were not sprinting ones.

Gilyard failed out of college early in his college career and had to move into his car while he worked four jobs to pay off his college debt.  Most people would have given up but he didn't.  He came back to be a star in college.  The Jets didn't give him all that much of a chance when he came back last year.

Hard to root against a guy like Gilyard.

FORMER NFL FIRST-ROUND PICK MAYBIN READY TO ADJUST TO CFL

OAKVILLE, Ont. - It's a new game with a new team in a new city, but it's just football for linebacker Aaron Maybin.

The former NFL first-round draft pick participated in his first workout with the Toronto Argonauts on Monday, a day after joining the CFL club's practice roster. Maybin admits he's got much to learn about the Canadian game but isn't the least bit worried or intimidated about lining up a yard off the ball, playing three downs or having more ground on a longer, wider field.

"The way I see it I'm a football player, I adjust to whatever style I need to adjust to," he said. "It (Canadian field) is bigger than I'm used to but there's nothing intimidating about it, nothing too different.

"Football is football. You've just got to adjust and understand it's a part of the game. That (a yard off ball) is a difference but as I said athletes adjust so it shouldn't be a problem."

While Maybin is short on CFL experience he's not lacking in confidence.

"Talent," he said when asked what's the top attribute he brings to Toronto. "I'm not really a guy that harps on his own abilities too much.

"I feel like there are things I can bring to this team and obviously the coaches feel that way too. I'm just coming in, working hard, trying to do my best to help the guys on this team that have been working all year to get to the places they want to be really bad and that's a championship."

The 25-year-old Maybin wore No. 56 on Monday — former Giants star Lawrence Taylor was a favourite player when Maybin was growing up — and he'll be given every opportunity to learn quickly. The defending Grey Cup-champion Argos (11-6) have clinched first place in the East Division and home-field advantage for the conference final Nov. 17.

So Toronto could give Maybin an extensive audition Friday when it hosts Montreal in the regular-season finale for both teams. The Alouettes (7-10) will finish third in the division and face the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (9-8) in the conference semifinal Nov. 10 in Guelph, Ont.

Maybin is back playing football after being released by the Cincinnati Bengals in August. That certainly raises questions about his overall fitness and how quickly he can round into game shape, but Maybin downplayed those suggestions.

"It's a consideration, not really a concern," he said. "Just making sure I don't try to do too much too quick and end up injuring myself trying to get to where I want to be and understand I'm not there yet and I still have some work to do."

Buffalo had high expectations for Maybin when it took him 11th overall in the 2009 NFL draft after he led the Big 10 with 12 sacks in 10 starts at Penn State. The Bills signed Maybin to a five-year deal that reportedly included a US$7.087 signing bonus and $15 million in guaranteed money.

The six-foot-four Maybin entered the NFL listed at 250 pounds but reported to the Bills in '11 weighing just 228 pounds. Maybin's lack of size certainly didn't help as he failed to record a sack or crack Buffalo's starting lineup over two seasons (27 career games) before being released.

Maybin joined the New York Jets in August 2011 but was let go in November 2012. He signed with Cincinnati on Jan. 25 before being released Aug. 18 having recorded 36 tackles, six sacks and five forced fumbles over his NFL career.

The Argos will give Maybin every opportunity to rush the quarterback coming off the edge, and with good reason. Toronto's defence has just 38 sacks this season, second-lowest in the CFL.

Maybin still looked very long and lean Monday as he practised with the Argos at an Oakville high school. But he did show he has the speed and quick feet needed to play defence in the Canadian game.

"He can rush the passer, that's his history," Argos head coach Scott Milanovich said. "Tall, kind of lanky, great first step, good with his hands.

"This was our first day and I didn't get a chance to just concentrate on him but he looked like he was doing a nice job down there in one-on-ones. We're just seeing what he can bring to us as far as getting after the quarterback."

Maybin's arrival in Toronto will prompt suggestions he's using the Argos as a springboard back to the NFL. However, Maybin downplayed that suggestion.

"I'm just focused on this opportunity and this chance," he said. "I'm not really focused on anything to do with the NFL."

SHARKS INK FORMER NFL RECEIVER MARDY GILYARD
10/31/2013 4:56 PM

1dc462d55112d1ec0cbfd1e997a57597.300.jpg

JACKSONVILLE – The 2013 South Division Champion Jacksonville Sharks announced Thursday that the team has added a receiver with National Football League experience, as Mardy Gilyard has been assigned to the Jacksonville roster on a one-year rookie contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Though the 26-year-old Gilyard (6’1”, 200) is new to the Arena Football League, he brings extensive professional football experience to Jacksonville. Drafted by the St. Louis Rams in the fourth round (No. 99 overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft, Gilyard has logged stints with four different NFL organizations over the course of the last four seasons. He got his most significant playing time with the Rams in 2010, returning 16 kickoffs for a total of 356 yards in 11 games with the team. Gilyard also saw game action with both the New York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles in 2012. In addition, Gilyard worked with the Kansas City Chiefs prior to the 2013 NFL season.

For his NFL career, Gilyard has totaled eight receptions for 78 yards. Most recently, he signed with the Canadian Football League’s Montreal Alouettes earlier this month, but was released from the team’s practice roster on October 24.

Before turning pro, Gilyard starred at the University of Cincinnati, where he was named to the All-Big East First Team and selected as Big East Special Teams Player of the Year after both his junior and senior seasons. As a senior in 2009, Gilyard racked up 87 receptions for 1,191 yards and 11 touchdowns, adding two kick return touchdowns and one punt return touchdown as well. Gilyard capped that impressive senior season by earning Offensive Player of the Game honors in the 2010 Senior Bowl, catching five passes for 103 yards and a touchdown in that game.

In 2008, Gilyard set a UC single-season receiving record with 1,276 yards on his 81 catches, scoring 11 touchdowns through the air in the process. He also excelled as a kick returner, scoring two touchdowns while leading the Big East with an average of 28.0 yards per runback. Gilyard also totaled 36 receptions for 536 yards and three touchdowns as a redshirt sophomore in 2007.

A Florida native, Gilyard was a First-team Class 5A all-state selection at Flagler Palm Coast High School, where he totaled 2,500 yards and three touchdowns during his prep career. Gilyard also excelled in track and field, earning three all-league and all-state selections.

Why would you start this thread Evan? You are a horrible captain. 

oh shut up already.

hey ****nuts it's not as if Gilyard is some obscure, insider college football name. His last year was Brian Kelly's last year and Cincinnati was undefeated heading into the bowl and that scumbag Kelly quit  right before the game. Tony Pike was practically a Heisman candidate and the team was the media darlings of college football.  

Gilyard was their star player.

Archived