flgreen

Film review: Rex outsmarts Payton, Brees

November, 5, 2013

NOV 5

3:30

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

One last look back at the New York Jets' 26-20 upset of the New Orleans Saints:

Rex outsmarts Payton: The game was billed as Ryan vs. Ryan, but it never was going to be Rex against Rob, the Saints' defensive coordinator. It was really a chess match between Rex and Saints coach Sean Payton, one of the brightest offensive minds in the game. The outcome: Checkmate, Ryan.

Drew Brees put up his fantasy numbers, throwing for 382 yards (the most against the Jets in the Ryan era), but he was rattled at key moments in the game. He was confused by the Jets' different looks, forcing him into rare mistakes -- taking two delay penalties and burning three timeouts in the first quarter. On the first timeout, he was befuddled by a 2-4-5 alignment. When he came out of the timeout, it was a 3-3-5 look by the Jets -- and a delay of game penalty.

This wasn't a blitz-heavy game plan by Ryan. In fact, the Jets sent five or more rushers on only 19 percent of Brees' 53 dropbacks, slightly below their average. They didn't have to blitz because Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples overmatched the Saints offensive line.

The Jets' Muhammad Wilkerson was able to put steady pressure on Saints quarterback Drew Brees this past Sunday.

After watching the tape, I noticed a clever wrinkle: On some passing plays, the Jets used a defensive lineman in a spy-type role. Instead of rushing, a lineman peeled back and hovered around the line of scrimmage, reading Brees' eyes. Coples said afterward that the game plan was to obstruct the B gaps, meaning the guard-tackle gaps. In their scouting report, they noted how Brees -- listed generously at 6-foot -- liked to throw through the B gaps instead of the middle. I think the Jets used a defensive lineman as a roving shot blocker, hoping to deflect the ball or at least block his vision. This was a big point of emphasis in practice, as the coaches were constantly on the pass-rushers to get their arms up against the "5-foot-10 quarterback," as they referred to him.

On Brees' first of two interceptions, Coples was the rover, lurking behind a three-man rush. At the last second, he rushed, getting one of his long arms in Brees' face as he released the ball, which was intercepted by Demario Davis after an on-ball deflection by S Dawan Landry -- a great play all around. Other times, I saw NT Kenrick Ellis and DT Sheldon Richardson peeling back instead of rushing.

Two impressive sequences jumped out. In the third quarter, they sacked Brees on back-to-back plays. How often does that happen? Wilkerson split a double-team for the first sack. On the second, Brees tried a quick count, but he outsmarted himself because TE Jimmy Graham was isolated on LB Calvin Pace. Graham is a great receiver, but he doesn't do blocking. Pace beat him cleanly for a sack.

The second impressive sequence occurred at the end of the game. Brees had the ball at his 19, with 1:58 on the clock. He has made a career of game-winning drives. Not this time. He threw four straight incompletions, one uglier than the next. On first down, the Jets had one down lineman and five others standing at the line. It looked like a blitz, but it was a ruse because they rushed two and dropped nine, including Coples, who lurked in the spy role. CB Antonio Cromartie was a safety on this play, another wrinkle.

Overall, it was a brilliant game plan by Ryan.

The art of deception: Obviously, the Jets were committed to running the ball, hoping to exploit a defense that had allowed a league-high 4.8 yard per carry. Here is an amazing stat: QB Geno Smith passed for only one yard in the first quarter and none in the fourth.

Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg did a fantastic job of using the read-option to exploit the Saints' aggressive front seven, which tends to over-pursue. On Chris Ivory's 27-yard run in the first quarter, they used the read option out of the Pistol formation. OLB Parys Haralson, influenced by the option, over-ran the play, leaving a gaping hole for Ivory.

On Josh Cribbs' 25-yard pass in the second quarter, the Jets ran a triple-option type play out of the Wildcat. Cribbs took the direct snap, faked to Bilal Powell and sprinted right with a run-pass option. He threw a dart to TE Zach Sudfeld, the Jets' best pass of the day.

I loved the two touchdown runs at the end of the second quarter. It was a great set-up by Mornhinweg, who used virtual mirror-image plays to outfox the Saints. On Ivory's three-yard scoring run, they were in shotgun, with Ivory to Smith's left -- the strong side, along with the tight end (Sudfeld) and two receivers (Stephen Hill and David Nelson). They ran a weakside play, with Ivory blasting off right tackle, behind key blocks by RG Willie Colon and RT Austin Howard.

After Cromartie's interception, the Jets got the ball back in almost an identical situation -- ball at the 3. They used the same personnel package, except they flipped the formation. Ivory went to the right of Smith, along with two receivers (Nelson and Greg Salas). The Saints probably were thinking it was a run to the left. It sure looked like as they ran Ivory to the left on a play-action. LBs David Hawthorne and Curtis Lofton bit hard on the fake. Smith used the read-option. He pulled the ball out of Ivory's belly and kept it himself, putting a nice, open-field move on DE Cameron Jordan for the touchdown. Actually, Jordan read it well, but he was faked by Smith and had no back up because Hawthorne and Lofton were out of position.

The Jets finished with 198 rushing yards. Ivory got the headlines, but the coaches did a nice job of exploiting the weaknesses in the Saints' run defense.

Geno's signature moment: The play that had people buzzing at One Jets Drive was a 6-yard scramble by Smith at the start of the third quarter. It wasn't enough for a first down -- it was a third-and-10 play -- but it got them into field goal range, as Smith avoided a big loss.

DE Tom Johnson blew past LG Brian Winters and had a clean shot at Smith, who eluded him with a nifty step-back move. Smith took off and gained six valuable yards, allowing the Jets to take a 23-14 lead after the field goal.

Odds and ends: Winters made a key block in the second quarter, pulling to the right on Ivory's 52-yard yard. Winters got a piece of Lofton, who ended up missing the tackle in the hole. Sudfeld, not known for his blocking, delivered a key block as well. Hill, invisible in the passing game, made a nice downfield block. ... There was confusion on Graham's 51-yard TD reception. S Jaiquawn Jarrett raised both arms before the snap, as if to say, "What do I do?" He ended up getting torched on a double move. ... I have no idea what Ryan was thinking on the Jets' final possession. They got the ball on downs at the Saints' 9, with 1:21 to play. The Saints had one timeout left. Three kneel-downs and it was over, but the Jets ran two plays and called a timeout before having Smith take a knee. What was the point of risking a fumble? Made no sense.

After watching the tape, I noticed a clever wrinkle: On some passing plays, the Jets used a defensive lineman in a spy-type role. Instead of rushing, a lineman peeled back and hovered around the line of scrimmage, reading Brees' eyes. Coples said afterward that the game plan was to obstruct the B gaps, meaning the guard-tackle gaps. In their scouting report, they noted how Brees -- listed generously at 6-foot -- liked to throw through the B gaps instead of the middle. I think the Jets used a defensive lineman as a roving shot blocker, hoping to deflect the ball or at least block his vision. This was a big point of emphasis in practice, as the coaches were constantly on the pass-rushers to get their arms up against the "5-foot-10 quarterback," as they referred to him.

Awesome.

Knock me over with a feather.  Can't believe Cimini said something so positive about Rex and the Jets.

Definitely a great game plan by Rex, Mornhinweg & the Jets' CS (and great execution by the players).  I want to see more of this.

Herm Edwards used to put together game plans like this. Same coach, essentially.

Jets bask in their biggest playoff rout ever

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- After what they went through to make the playoffs, what a waste it would have been to exit early.

That was the message Herman Edwards gave his New York Jets. They heeded it superbly, routing the befuddled Indianapolis Colts 41-0 Saturday.

Jets fullback Richie Anderson dives for the first-half TD.

After barely getting into the postseason, the Jets emphatically showed they belong with their biggest playoff victory and their first postseason shutout. Chad Pennington, the sparkplug of their turnaround, threw for three touchdowns, LaMont Jordan ran for two and the defense had Peyton Manning and the Colts off-stride from the outset.

"I am so proud of my teammates to see in every one of them that they are not complacent,'' Pennington said. "To me, it's special when you're able to step in the huddle and see the intensity and focus in the eyes of your teammates.''

New York (10-7) began the season 1-4, but won seven of its last nine to storm to the AFC East title on the final day of the season. The surge continued against the wild-card Colts (10-7).

"This is a breath of fresh air, but it is only the first win on a long road,'' Wayne Chrebet said.

The Jets will be at either Oakland or Tennessee next weekend. It was their first postseason victory since 1998, when they made it to the AFC championship game, and the score matched the last playoff game at the Meadowlands, when the Giants beat Minnesota for the 2000 NFC title.

"I'm 82-0 in my last two playoffs here,'' said safety Sam Garnes, who was with those Giants. "It definitely feels good to do 41-0 as a Jet.''

The only more lopsided shutout win in NFL postseason history was Chicago's 73-0 victory over Washington for the 1940 title.

This was the first NFL playoff game featuring two black head coaches. The Colts' Tony Dungy and the Jets' Edwards, longtime friends, are the only black head coaches in the league. Edwards spent five seasons as Dungy's top assistant in Tampa before becoming the Jets' coach in 2001.

The student came out on top of the mentor because his offense was unstoppable, his defense stingy and his special teams dominant.

"I'm just thankful for our friendship and the chance he gave me to stand here and be a head coach,'' Edwards said.

Dungy said he'll be rooting for Edwards' team the rest of the way.

"They played awfully well and made us look awfully bad,'' said Dungy, who took Indianapolis from 6-10 to 10-6 in his first season after being fired by the Bucs.

On the Jets' fifth offensive play, Pennington's screen pass floated into Richie Anderson's hands and he rambled down the left side for a 56-yard score. The touchdown was the longest of his 10-year career, the longest this season for the Jets and the longest scoring play from scrimmage in their playoff history.

The Peyton Manning-to-Marvin Harrison connection got the Colts moving -- for just about the only time -- immediately after the TD with three completions for 38 yards. But Mike Vanderjagt was short and wide with a 41-yard field goal into the wind.

John Hall made one from the same spot early in the second quarter for a 10-0 lead.

Troy Walters then fumbled the kickoff and Ray Mickens pounced on it at the Indianapolis 39. Jordan eventually swept left from the 1 for a 17-point lead.

It became 24-0 with 37 seconds remaining in the first half when Pennington rolled out and found Santana Moss alone in the right corner of the end zone. Moss grabbed the high throw and barely got both feet in-bounds.

In matching their biggest playoff output in a half, the Jets effectively secured their spot in the next round of the playoffs. But they didn't pull back. Chad Morton ran the second-half kickoff 70 yards to the Indy 19, setting up Hall's 39-yard field goal. Rookie tight end Chris Baker caught his first TD pass, a 3-yarder late in the third quarter. And Jordan, who rushed for 102 yards (89 in the second half), scored again from the 1 in the fourth period.

Manning was a miserable 14-for-31 for 137 yards and two interceptions, and his team had the ball for just 19:42 -- 7:44 in the second half.

Manning, who consistently barked instructions to his teammates at the line of scrimmage -- often to no avail as New York's aggressive defense applied steady pressure -- is 0-3 in the playoffs, and this was the worst of those defeats.

"I tried to be patient,'' Manning said, "but I got to be impatient because the more you get in the hole, they more they take you out of your game plan. So I ended up doing a lot of things I shouldn't have.''

He wasn't helped by six drops and an offensive line that couldn't keep pressure off him. Harrison, who smashed the NFL record with 143 receptions this season, had only four Saturday.

"This was more than we could ask for,'' Jets linebacker Marvin Jones said. "But the job isn't done.''

Game notes

Pennington, the league's most efficient passer, wound up 19-for-25 for 222 yards. ... Donnie Abraham and James Darling had the interceptions. ... Pennington tied the team record for TD passes in a playoff game, held by Joe Namath in the 1968 AFL championship game vs. Oakland, and Vinny Testaverde last year in a loss to the Raiders. ... The only other playoff game between the franchises was the Jets' 1969 Super Bowl win. ... The much-maligned Giants Stadium turf was not a factor, even though it was chewed up by the second quarter.

Film review: Rex outsmarts Payton, Brees

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The Saints had one timeout left. Three kneel-downs and it was over, but the Jets ran two plays and called a timeout before having Smith take a knee. What was the point of risking a fumble? Made no sense.

Did they ever explain why they did this?  It seemed insane.  

Did they ever explain why they did this?  It seemed insane.  

LOL

Yeah.  I was thinking what the hell they doing?  kneel  down.  Think everyone got excited, and Marty just started calling running plays.  Think Rex called time out to stop it.  Who knows? but it was goofy

...that Herm had no hand in defensive game planning?

Correct.  I remember you saying the same thing about him when he was here.  I remember you one talking about Herm would yuck it up with the offense guys during training camp while Donnie Henderson was running the D like a well-oiled machine.  Herm was a buffoon.  Rex is a defensive scheme artist.

Correct. I remember you saying the same thing about him when he was here. I remember you one talking about Herm would yuck it up with the offense guys during training camp while Donnie Henderson was running the D like a well-oiled machine. Herm was a buffoon. Rex is a defensive scheme artist.

You remember all that? Do you?

They could not run this article last week, because there was no film review. That Rex Ryan is a wily one. 

When defense works-Mastermind defense.

When defense doesn't work-Rex needs players

:face:

Yes, as evidenced all offseason, the media is on Rex's side.  

They could not run this article last week, because there was no film review. That Rex Ryan is a wily one. 

When defense works-Mastermind defense.

When defense doesn't work-Rex needs players

Rex sucks!!  Why can't he win every week like all the other good coaches?  LOL

How can there be a single insolent Jets fan arguing abou the job Rexy Sexy had done so far this season?  I mean before the roster got depleted on offense, we were a 2-14 team and ranked 32 out of 32 by ESPN.  After 9 games, we are 5-4 having faced one of the toughest schedule in the NFL. 

For example, If Gruden was our HC, Can he fokkkkin coach a defense at this level with 7 new starters on defense, either rookies or guys from the streets?  :blowup:

Archived