Reed fires back at media criticism

flgreen

Jets' Ed Reed fire back at media criticism

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 21, 2013

BY  JEFF ROBERTS

STAFF WRITER

THE RECORD

FLORHAM PARK — Ed Reed never raised his voice.

He remained calm. He measured his words.

But the future Hall of Fame safety still blasted the media Friday just one question into an interview scrum, before later saying he "wouldn't mind staying" with the Jets next season — provided coach Rex Ryan returns.

The surly Reed initially declined to speak to reporters. Then he accused them of stirring controversy and being too ignorant of the game to pass judgment on the missed tackles and big plays the Jets' secondary recently has yielded.

"Your guys' job is to critique, be critics. That's what you do," he said. "That's why you ask the controversial questions. [You] try to make it controversial and then you trash people in the media. I could care less about that."

But a defensive Reed, 35, seemed like he very much cared.

The nine-time Pro Bowler is no longer the same player he once was. Reed has shown his age and a lack of mobility in his five games with the Jets. And he has missed tackles and been beaten on long passes.

"It's been a long year. Definitely not what I expected," he said. "Expectations [were] high coming into it."

But Reed appeared to blame the media and not his struggles. The Ravens chose not to re-sign him after 11 seasons and February's Super Bowl victory. He underwent hip surgery in April. Then the Houston Texans released him after nine games.

"Ed is a prideful guy," said Ryan, Reed's defensive coordinator for several seasons in Baltimore. "And he's probably never faced criticism in his life because of the kind of player he is."

Ryan pointed to the leadership and mentor roles Reed has played in the locker room. But he admitted that he has "not yet" seen the production on the field he had hoped

"If he's going down, he's climbing down from the very top of the mountain, and that mountain's Everest," Ryan said.

Reed bristled at the first question asked — how to explain the missed tackles and big plays the Jets have suffered — and began his rant. He then steered the discussion back to the media when the next question concerned how difficult a season he has endured.

"Even reading your guys' blogs, listening to your comments, knowing half of you don't know as much about football as you think ..." Reed said. "You could ask the questions, but that don't mean that you're an expert at what we do. It's funny to me. I smile at it. Laugh at it. But that's your job. Some of your jobs you're taking it to tear people down, [or] try to. Tear the team down."

The Jets (6-8) signed Reed in November, and he reported with only two pairs of jeans and a shirt and "had to go to the mall pretty much every week to get some clothes," he said.

Despite his increasingly confrontational stance with the local media, Reed said he wants to remain a Jet. "I wouldn't mind staying here. I know the coaches. I know the scheme," he said.

But Ryan's potential departure — the Jets have missed the playoffs for a third consecutive season — "probably" would change his opinion.

"I don't see why he shouldn't be [here]," Reed said

BRIEF: Jets special teams coordinator Ben Kotwica is scheduled to interview this weekend for the Army head coaching position, ESPN reported.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/236839751_Jets__Ed_Reed_fire_back_at_media_criticism_with_criticism.html?page=all#sthash.WjOoNg1E.dpuf

BRIEF: Jets special teams coordinator Ben Kotwica is scheduled to interview this weekend for the Army head coaching position, ESPN reported.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/236839751_Jets__Ed_Reed_fire_back_at_media_criticism_with_criticism.html?page=all#sthash.WjOoNg1E.dpuf

Man I hope Kotwica gets the job.    Bring back the cane

Yet another dead Raven keeping his career alive under Rex Ryan, the crown Prince of Resurrection of done football players. If Rex comes back you can be sure Reed will follow. Where else can he continue to collect an NFL paycheck. Much like Kyle Wilson, Reed's next play will be his first. He complains to the media that they write about him missing tackles. If he is back they will get to write a lot more about it. Rex LOVES him some underachievers. AND has been's from Baltimore.

Nobody is sacred to the NY media. Geesh. Their tone basically confirms what he said about them not having a clue. Yeah hes a step slower and yeah his ball hawking days are bascally over but you are interviewing the best safety to probably ever play the game, geez find something intellingent to ask him

Nobody is sacred to the NY media. Geesh. Their tone basically confirms what he said about them not having a clue. Yeah hes a step slower and yeah his ball hawking days are bascally over but you are interviewing the best safety to probably ever play the game, geez find something intellingent to ask him

lulz.

By sh*t the couch you mean making 2 AFC championship games despite being the only competent person in the organization? He'll have a new HC.job the same day if we let him go

Hey, his signature move is signing washed up free agent stars. I guess there might be a team that needs that.

FWIW, signing a clearly washed up Ed Reed when there were  so many other problems on the offense sealed it foe me with this joke of a coach.

By sh*t the couch you mean making 2 AFC championship games despite being the only competent person in the organization? He'll have a new HC.job the same day if we let him go

Five years from now you will still be talking about the 2 AFC playoff games.  That $hit never gets old.

Reed was right about one thing here, the media try's to do everything in its power to tear this team down, they know their will be more interest in a controversial losing team then a successful winning team, and it is completely the opposite with the other NY football team.

Archived