Dyer: Keep Rex-The Fans Have Spoken, And They Want Rex Back

flgreen

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Said that our soulless GM is going to ruin the lives of so many fans.

And with Wrecks, soul involves slugging neighbors or watching you wife expose her feet to strangers in parking lots. No offense. Really NO OFFENSE AT ALL. GROUND AND POUND!THE FORWARD PASS IS EVIL!

If Rex is on the outs, why did Woody keep him for 2013?

By Brian Costello

December 26, 2013 | 1:03am

Modal Trigger

rexwoodytable.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
Rex Ryan and Jets owner Woody Johnson at the January press conference announcing Ryan would stay on as coach for the 2013 season.Photo: Anthony J. Causi
MORE FROM BRIAN COSTELLO

“I think Rex Ryan is perfect for the New York Jets.” — Jets owner Woody Johnson on Jan. 8, 2013

You might remember this press conference. Woody Johnson and Rex Ryan seated next to each other. Johnson professing his belief in Ryan as a coach and saying whomever he hired as general manager had to keep Ryan as the coach.

It was the beginning of the drama that has played out over this calendar year. Is Ryan coaching for his job? Will new general manager John Idzik want his own guy after one year no matter what? Is it playoffs or bust for Ryan?

We will get the answers Monday. The drama ends (well, this drama) along with the Jets season. We find out whether Ryan has won over his new boss enough to stick around.

If the decision is to fire Ryan, Johnson has a lot of explaining to do. Starting with his decision last year to fire GM Mike Tannenbaum and retain Ryan. Splitting the two did not make much sense at the time and will look even dumber if Ryan is fired. The only explanation could be Johnson did not want to pay Ryan the $6 million remaining on his contract to not coach the Jets.

By firing Tannenbaum, Johnson showed he was ready for the organization to take a new course … except he wanted Ryan along for the ride. So the Jets hired Idzik, stripped down their roster, drafted a new quarterback and turned the page on the old “Hard Knocks” Jets except for the guy calling the shots on the sideline.

It would have been wiser for Johnson to either get rid of both Tannenbaum and Ryan at the end of last season or give both of them one more year to turn things around. Instead, the franchise felt as if it was in a suspended state in 2013. Moving forward in some areas, but still stuck in neutral until Ryan’s future was decided.

Here is what Johnson said back in January when asked if he ever considered firing Ryan:

“No, I never considered that because my confidence in him as a coach, obviously gives me the confidence to keep him as a coach. Having been in business and in football for quite a while now, you can recognize talent when you see it. I hate to [make] excuses, but there are some extenuating circumstances that I think we can improve and get better. I think Rex Ryan is perfect for the New York Jets. He’s just like a New York Jets fan in many respects. He’s hardworking, he’s very smart [and] sophisticated, he’s 100 percent into this team, 100 percent. There’s nobody that’s more committed to this team and [who] has the skills to bring it forward than Rex. So, I don’t know how to say it any other way, but I’m totally happy with Rex as head coach and I think when we make these changes that we’re talking about today and refocus ourselves, I think it’s going to produce something really good.”

If there is a “Black Monday” press conference to announce Ryan’s firing, the first question for Johnson should be, “So Woody, what changed?”

Because all we’ve seen in the 11 months since he said those words was Ryan accept orders from Idzik to tone things down, put his head down and go to work. He ground seven wins out of a four-win roster, built a young defensive line than can be a strength for years and have every player on the roster ready to run through a wall for him.

Those “extenuating circumstances” Johnson referred to have to be the lack of talent the team had in 2012. Tannenbaum took the blame for that and was shown the door. Guess what? The talent in 2013 was no better.

If Ryan gets fired, it’s clear there was nothing he could have done to save his job short of a miraculous playoff run. Idzik has the right to bring in his own guy. But it should have happened 11 months ago, if that is what he wanted. Instead, Johnson kept the Jets franchise in this suspended state for 2013: Will Rex stay or go?

Eleven months ago, Johnson said Ryan was the perfect guy for the Jets. We’ll see if he still feels that way Monday.

Poll: Should the Jets keep Rex Ryan for 2014?

December 24th, 2013 1:45 pm

Reports have been circulating this week that Jets head coach Rex Ryan’s job could be in jeopardy come the end of the season.

In his five years as head coach of the Jets Ryan is 41-38. Ryan took his first two teams to the AFC Championship, posting four playoff wins over six games. Since then, Ryan has failed to make the playoffs and seen no better than a .500 record dating to 2011.

Please vote in our poll below.

Thank you for voting!

Yes  85.29%  (1,345 votes)

No  9.45%  (149 votes)

Undecided  5%  (83 votes)

Total Votes: 1,577

Comments (0) Return To PollCreate Your Own Poll

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/poll-should-the-jets-keep-rex-ryan-for-2014/

slats, bitonti and DMC must have each voted 100 times.

If Rex is on the outs, why did Woody keep him for 2013?

By Brian Costello

December 26, 2013 | 1:03am

Modal Trigger

rexwoodytable.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
Rex Ryan and Jets owner Woody Johnson at the January press conference announcing Ryan would stay on as coach for the 2013 season.Photo: Anthony J. Causi
MORE FROM BRIAN COSTELLO

“I think Rex Ryan is perfect for the New York Jets.” — Jets owner Woody Johnson on Jan. 8, 2013

You might remember this press conference. Woody Johnson and Rex Ryan seated next to each other. Johnson professing his belief in Ryan as a coach and saying whomever he hired as general manager had to keep Ryan as the coach.

It was the beginning of the drama that has played out over this calendar year. Is Ryan coaching for his job? Will new general manager John Idzik want his own guy after one year no matter what? Is it playoffs or bust for Ryan?

We will get the answers Monday. The drama ends (well, this drama) along with the Jets season. We find out whether Ryan has won over his new boss enough to stick around.

If the decision is to fire Ryan, Johnson has a lot of explaining to do. Starting with his decision last year to fire GM Mike Tannenbaum and retain Ryan. Splitting the two did not make much sense at the time and will look even dumber if Ryan is fired. The only explanation could be Johnson did not want to pay Ryan the $6 million remaining on his contract to not coach the Jets.

By firing Tannenbaum, Johnson showed he was ready for the organization to take a new course … except he wanted Ryan along for the ride. So the Jets hired Idzik, stripped down their roster, drafted a new quarterback and turned the page on the old “Hard Knocks” Jets except for the guy calling the shots on the sideline.

It would have been wiser for Johnson to either get rid of both Tannenbaum and Ryan at the end of last season or give both of them one more year to turn things around. Instead, the franchise felt as if it was in a suspended state in 2013. Moving forward in some areas, but still stuck in neutral until Ryan’s future was decided.

Here is what Johnson said back in January when asked if he ever considered firing Ryan:

“No, I never considered that because my confidence in him as a coach, obviously gives me the confidence to keep him as a coach. Having been in business and in football for quite a while now, you can recognize talent when you see it. I hate to [make] excuses, but there are some extenuating circumstances that I think we can improve and get better. I think Rex Ryan is perfect for the New York Jets. He’s just like a New York Jets fan in many respects. He’s hardworking, he’s very smart [and] sophisticated, he’s 100 percent into this team, 100 percent. There’s nobody that’s more committed to this team and [who] has the skills to bring it forward than Rex. So, I don’t know how to say it any other way, but I’m totally happy with Rex as head coach and I think when we make these changes that we’re talking about today and refocus ourselves, I think it’s going to produce something really good.”

If there is a “Black Monday” press conference to announce Ryan’s firing, the first question for Johnson should be, “So Woody, what changed?”

Because all we’ve seen in the 11 months since he said those words was Ryan accept orders from Idzik to tone things down, put his head down and go to work. He ground seven wins out of a four-win roster, built a young defensive line than can be a strength for years and have every player on the roster ready to run through a wall for him.

Those “extenuating circumstances” Johnson referred to have to be the lack of talent the team had in 2012. Tannenbaum took the blame for that and was shown the door. Guess what? The talent in 2013 was no better.

If Ryan gets fired, it’s clear there was nothing he could have done to save his job short of a miraculous playoff run. Idzik has the right to bring in his own guy. But it should have happened 11 months ago, if that is what he wanted. Instead, Johnson kept the Jets franchise in this suspended state for 2013: Will Rex stay or go?

Eleven months ago, Johnson said Ryan was the perfect guy for the Jets. We’ll see if he still feels that way Monday.

Rex was retained because the Turnip loves his money more than his team. Rex SHOULD HAVE been canned along with Mr. T, that is for sure. What Johnson has done is put his GM on the spot with now having to make a decision that may run counter to what HIS vision of a rebuilt NY Jets team should look like. That is wrong thinking, but what else can you expect from a Turnip? He has made Idzik have to choose between his own job security (keep Rex) or risk alienating the owner (firing Rex). I say be your own man Idzik and don't listen to the flip flopping fans, or the media, who were so outraged last year when Turnip fired just Mr. T and that called him a clown by the end of last season. The media NOW backs Rex - for whatever reason - and they seem to forget that he was a clown just 11 months ago.

it's the discipline mostly.  players were told early onthat since rex runs his mouth, they can too.  hey otherwise they won't like the HC or think its fair.  they can quit and keep their job.  they can suck and keep their job

the word on the street was ozzie didn't want rex as HC because he is too close to the players to make decisions in the best interest of the team.  we've seen this over and over

HC is a different skill set than playcaller.  you need to be the deciderer.  you have to swing the axe.  he just can't do it

next

Exactly right. How many plays has Kyle Wilson made since he has been here? I have yet to see ONE, in four years, but he is one of Rex's guys, along with Ed Reed, who has done squat. Rex pats on the back when he should kick in the a$$. Has got to go.

the "fire Rex" crowd always wants to fire someone. Next year it's gonna be fire Idzik. And next year after that it will be fire Rex's replacement. You guys never met a coach or GM that you didn't think the team should fire. 

You act like the Jets have been a successful franchise for the last 30 years. Who would you say the "fire Rex" crowd got fired that in hindsight was a mistake? When you're a sh*tty franchise like the Jets you have tons of bad coaches and GM's working for you.

You act like the Jets have been a successful franchise for the last 30 years. Who would you say the "fire Rex" crowd got fired that in hindsight was a mistake? When you're a sh*tty franchise like the Jets you have tons of bad coaches and GM's working for you.

Rex is the guy who gets fired from the Jets and the next time you see him he's deep in the playoffs with a real QB. If you took Rex Ryan and swapped him with John Fox no one would say fire Rex Ryan.  the problem with this team is the street free agents at every position not the coach.  In short if the Jets fire Rex they will be making a mistake. 

Rex is the guy who gets fired from the Jets and the next time you see him he's deep in the playoffs with a real QB. If you took Rex Ryan and swapped him with John Fox no one would say fire Rex Ryan.  the problem with this team is the street free agents at every position not the coach.  In short if the Jets fire Rex they will be making a mistake. 

You might see him deep in the playoffs as a DC for a team with a clue on the offensive side. I don't disagree with you at all that there is little difference between Rex and Fox (I'll even grant you that Rex is a better coach than Fox is) but when is Rex getting Peyton Manning who is not only a top 3 QB of all time but also the de facto OC who you can just hand over the offense to and forget about it??? And since that isn't happening with Rex, there is absolutely no reason that anyone should have any faith that a Rex Ryan coached team can ever have a competitive offense in the NFL as he's TOTALLY divorced from anything going on on that side of the football and you can't have a coach in 2014 like that and expect to win. 

Rex is the guy who gets fired from the Jets and the next time you see him he's deep in the playoffs with a real QB. If you took Rex Ryan and swapped him with John Fox no one would say fire Rex Ryan. the problem with this team is the street free agents at every position not the coach. In short if the Jets fire Rex they will be making a mistake.

So are you saying that if Rex had Mannjng that we would be better and that is a reason Rex is good?

I'm really confused, I don't think we can get Manninng, do u?

So are you saying that if Rex had Mannjng that we would be better and that is a reason Rex is good?

I'm really confused, I don't think we can get Manninng, do u?

Rex has coached this team of misfits to 7 wins that's actually a good job. If they had Manning and were in the same place i'd say yes Fire rex, he's underperforming. What Rex is doing is like ricky bobby winning the race in reverse. he's finding a way to win when most people would lose.  unbannedmike just said it Rex is a better coach than John Fox yet the Broncos are 12-3. 

Rex has coached this team of misfits to 7 wins that's actually a good job. If they had Manning and were in the same place i'd say yes Fire rex, he's underperforming. What Rex is doing is like ricky bobby winning the race in reverse. he's finding a way to win when most people would lose.  unbannedmike just said it Rex is a better coach than John Fox yet the Broncos are 12-3. 

We have to live in the realm of reality. Rex could be 12-3 with Peyton Manning too but guess what, we aren't getting Peyton Manning or a QB anywhere close to as good as he is. 

Rex has coached this team of misfits to 7 wins that's actually a good job. If they had Manning and were in the same place i'd say yes Fire rex, he's underperforming. What Rex is doing is like ricky bobby winning the race in reverse. he's finding a way to win when most people would lose. unbannedmike just said it Rex is a better coach than John Fox yet the Broncos are 12-3.

I am so sick if this nonsense about how bad out roster is. The top front 7 in football and a running game is not a group of misfits, no matter how many times the Rex apologists want to say it.

Fox took Jake Delhome to the SB, Jake Delhome!

And when Mannjng was a free agent, he wanted nothing to do with the circus Rex created here with the jets, and he chose Fox , so the rest of your argument is typical Rex apology, with no merrit.

We have to live in the realm of reality. Rex could be 12-3 with Peyton Manning too but guess what, we aren't getting Peyton Manning or a QB anywhere close to as good as he is. 

so basically firing Rex is like kicking the dog. It's not really his fault the Jets aren't a legit contender... but we gotta take it out on someone. 

I am so sick if this nonsense about how bad out roster is. The top front 7 in football and a running game is not a group of misfits, no matter how many times the Rex apologists want to say it. 

I've seen you say this before the top front 7 in football is not accurate. they might have the top starting 3 DL in football but they are still 4 players short of a top front seven. You really want to sit there and tell me Calvin Pace and Garrett McINtyre are the top OLB in football? 

so basically firing Rex is like kicking the dog. It's not really his fault the Jets aren't a legit contender... but we gotta take it out on someone. 

No, why are you looking backward? This is a prospective decision based on what is best for the team going forward and if you have no faith that rex can build a competent offense without a hall of famer falling into his lap, (and I have no idea how you could), you fire him. 

No, why are you looking backward? This is a prospective decision based on what is best for the team going forward and if you have no faith that rex can build a competent offense without a hall of famer falling into his lap, (and I have no idea how you could), you fire him. 

believe it or not, the offense has been competent over the last few weeks. Geno turned the corner around the time of the Raiders game and now the offense is decent. when Geno was playing like hot garbage the offense stunk. this is not a problem that gets better by firing the coach. 

believe it or not, the offense has been competent over the last few weeks. Geno turned the corner around the time of the Raiders game and now the offense is decent. when Geno was playing like hot garbage the offense stunk. this is not a problem that gets better by firing the coach. 

It was competent against the Raiders and Browns, two of the worst defenses in the NFL. If you're taking that to mean that a corner was turned, you're being MUCH more optimistic that you have a right to given the facts. 

I've seen you say this before the top front 7 in football is not accurate. they might have the top starting 3 DL in football but they are still 4 players short of a top front seven. You really want to sit there and tell me Calvin Pace and Garrett McINtyre are the top OLB in football?

You conveniently left out your boy Quentin Coples. Pace has ten sacks. Who's a bad player in that front seven?

they've looked better since Geno started playing better. Unless the next guy is bringing a QB with him, firing REx doesn't improve the offense.

Keeping Rex certainly does not improve it.

Bringing in the right staff most definitely can improve the offense, ecspecially if they can identify and develop a real QB.

Rex has shown he is completely unable to do this

Tell me which teams in the NFL have a better collective front 7 than the Jets.

I'm waiting.

Archived