Dyer: Keep Rex-The Fans Have Spoken, And They Want Rex Back

flgreen

Understand this, my hippie friend: if Rex is retained, it's a sure sign that Idzik was pushed into it by Woody, which means that the Jets franchise is as doomed now as it ever was under Leon.

I don't know what's gonna happen, but this isn't the only scenario my barfly friend. It could simply be that the Rex hating peeps who put all their eggs in the Idzik basket turned out to be wrong about him all along. He might just think that Rex is a good coach.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL C'mon T0m.

Your making an assumption with the "drive by Jets fan" stuff, that you are much more informed then the people that respond to these polls.

People who hang on Jets message boards are hardly "drive by Jets fans". They are people who range from informed hobbyist, to obsessed. It doesn't necessarily make them smart, but they do pay attention to what is going on with the Jets. They for the most part spend way to much time on these boards.

Lets face it. As much as people on JN consider you the genius Jets guru, the poll on J N is still running against you. If you can't influence the pollsters on J N, what little effect could Benigno, and Francesa have?

Nooooo, I certainly didn't mean to suggest that all pro-Rex-extension guys were drive-by fans. There is no doubt that those that frequent the message boards have enough information to have an informed opinion, even if I think it's insane. But, when you're getting a thousand votes on something, the majority of those are from dudes who aren't as invested in the Jets information machine as us poor suckers who have distorted priorities and too much time. These polls are arbitrary and would swing dead the other way if they lost to the Browns by two points.

Also, if anyone looks at me as a "Jets guru," they're beyond all help.

I don't know what's gonna happen, but this isn't the only scenario my barfly friend. It could simply be that the Rex hating peeps who put all their eggs in the Idzik basket turned out to be wrong about him all along. He might just think that Rex is a good coach.

I think the timing of the Bevell extension and the Idzik hiring is too convenient to have been a coincidence. Bevell was extended January 18th and Idzik was announced on the 19th. Also, Mornhinweg got a one-year deal from the Jets on the 18th. Hard to believe that they're not all connected.

My head is hurting, are people actually backing Rex again? I don't even want to troll anymore pretending to like him. I ******* hate this fan base. I'm moving to Nepal, you all deserve the Hell you're living in

Thier is actually disputed land in NEPAL, with Nuclear powers China, and India, claiming ownership, so pack a geiger counter, and clean suit, and alot of bottled water. Good Luck.

I think the timing of the Bevell extension and the Idzik hiring is too convenient to have been a coincidence. Bevell was extended January 18th and Idzik was announced on the 19th. Also, Mornhinweg got a one-year deal from the Jets on the 18th. Hard to believe that they're not all connected.

will you do something really cool if you are wrong and rex re-ups and jets make it to superbowl?

like shave ur head and eyebrows and streak across midfield at half time with a roll of tp stuck to ur sh*tty ass and "i luv big rex" written across your chest in pink lipstick?

that would be cool....

will you do something really cool if you are wrong and rex re-ups and jets make it to superbowl?

like shave ur head and eyebrows and streak across midfield at half time with a roll of tp stuck to ur sh*tty ass and "i luv big rex" written across your chest in pink lipstick?

that would be cool....

Dont most Rex lovers do this EVERY game?

that would be cool....

Yes.

Thier is actually disputed land in NEPAL, with Nuclear powers China, and India, claiming ownership, so pack a geiger counter, and clean suit, and alot of bottled water. Good Luck.

Post nuclear Nepal will be less of a wasteland than the Meadowlands when the Jets play so worry about yourself

that would be cool....

I'll see that and raise you self-immolation at midfield

Understand this, my hippie friend: if Rex is retained, it's a sure sign that Idzik was pushed into it by Woody, which means that the Jets franchise is as doomed now as it ever was under Leon.

This is dead on right.

Last week Idzik was making phone calls to Rex's replacements, Rex uses it as motivation to beat the mighty Browns, and now he's coming back.

Disgusting.

Woody does this and that moron piece of crap owner never gets a dollar from me again.

This is dead on right.

Last week Idzik was making phone calls to Rex's replacements, Rex uses it as motivation to beat the mighty Browns, and now he's coming back.

Disgusting.

Woody does this and that moron piece of crap owner never gets a dollar from me again.

There where no phone call's made and Rex was never in any real danger. It's called motivation and he's the master of it, he knew these last 2 weeks are crucial for the future of the franchise and that his players love him enough to outplay anyone. I would put everything I own on them beating Miami to force Idzik's hand.

Here's how those poll numbers happen:

1. Benigno apes Francesa, and Francesa said Rex should be back three weeks ago.

2. Benigno is the Voice of the Drive-By Jets Fan who tunes in on Sundays to "check out the Jets game."

3. Drive-By Jets Fan, believing he came to this decision independently, tells his office buddies, "Rex should be back."

4. Jets beat Cleveland, polls spring up on websites.

5. #KeepRex becomes a thing.

6. Print media, short of stories, jumps on seemingly populist narrative.

In short, the singular reason people think they want to keep Rex is because Mike Francesa, who hasn't watched a complete Jets game since Parcells quit, told them that's what they should think.

Very true, and Francesa deep down would fire Rex, he knows Rex is getting fired so he's lobbying now for him to stay because he hates Woody with a passion,..Francesa is only saying keep Rex for his own anti-woody agenda, and he'll have Rex on immediately after and play the " hey I thought you should've been back" card...he did the same thing last year when he knew Tennenbaum was getting fired, just the factbthat Francesa is doing this tells me he already knows Rex is gone

Just Google stuff and pretend to understand, you'll be one up on people here who can't comprehend what they hear or see from Rex on a weekly basis

conspiracy theorist?

its cool man - this is certainly the place to be.  You see all you have to do to change the world is be a radio talk host then through carefully place suggestions and this little thing called twitter you can create the next president of the United States.

what a world!

Mehta:

If Rex Ryan is fired by NY Jets, he leaves having done his best coaching job The defensive-minded head coach may not have done a better coaching job in his life than this season with a rookie quarterback and a team that was counted out.

If this is the end for Rex Ryan, if the best thing to happen to the Jets in a decade gets the pink slip in six days, he should take solace in knowing that this was his finest hour.

History will view 2013 as just another lost season for the star-crossed franchise. The numbers will reveal subpar statistical rankings.

Ryan, of course, will know the truth: He’s never done a better coaching job in his life.

Somehow, the embattled coach — “our leader,” as GM John Idzik said last month — has managed seven wins with a team packed with inexperience and middling talent.  Somehow, a team that entered the season with 11 new starters, three new coordinators and nine new assistants remained in the playoff conversation for three months before reality intervened to end what would have been a football fairy tale.

“I’m proud of this Jets team,” Ryan said Monday. “It’s a total commitment thing from top to bottom. We don’t have the record that we wanted... but we have the effort, we have the desire and the determination.”

Talent evaluators around the league know that Ryan’s cupboard needs to be restocked.

“The strength of the team is the defense,” one front office executive said. “There’s no need to go away from that. Personally, I’d keep Rex and focus on upgrading the roster on offense. He’s a damn good coach. They just need more offensive weapons.”

Ryan has won two of three games since Woody Johnson admitted earlier this month that he was “pretty happy with the way things are going.” The Jets were in a competitive game with the playoff-bound Panthers through three quarters in the lone loss.

I haven’t spoken to a player publicly or privately who believes that the Jets would be better off firing Ryan.

There have been plenty of instances when a head coach’s message becomes stale, when a fresh voice is the best course and it’s simply time to hit the reset button on a franchise.

That isn’t the case here. Ryan’s messages are as impactful on his mathematically eliminated team now as they were in the run-up to the season opener against the Buccaneers. Ryan has succeeded when so many others have failed. He’s kept his team engaged when the path of least resistance includes booking vacations and securing tee times.

Ryan is no fool. In fact, he’s a master self-preservationist, willing to conform to Idzik’s “competition” theme and change elements of his previously brash public persona.

Through all the adjustments, he preserved his core principles that have helped draw his inconsistent team closer during rough patches that could have blown the entire operation to a million little pieces.

It’s naïve to think that Johnson and Idzik haven’t formulated a strong opinion about Ryan’s future. There are fair arguments to be made in a discussion that is more complicated than it may appear.

Ryan will almost certainly be remembered for the back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances in 2009 and 2010, but this season has been his most impressive coaching job since taking over five years ago.

His detractors will say he only cares about one side of the ball or he needs to sharpen his clock management or … (fill in gratuitous complaint here).

Ryan is far from perfect, but he should be proud of this Jets team — and himself — no matter what happens in six days.

conspiracy theorist?

its cool man - this is certainly the place to be.  You see all you have to do to change the world is be a radio talk host then through carefully place suggestions and this little thing called twitter you can create the next president of the United States.

what a world!

The federal reserve is responsible for Rex

that would be cool....

S L O W D O W N, there, Corky. Re-upps AND MAKE IT TO SUPER BOWL? Yeah, the later is a given, right?

Decision on Ryan’s future will reveal Idzik’s power with Jets

By Mark Cannizzaro

December 24, 2013 | 9:35pm

Modal Trigger

rexidzik.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
Jets coach Rex Ryan's job future is in the hands of general manager John Idzik (left) -- or is it?Photo: Bill Kostroun (2)
MORE FROM MARK CANNIZZARO

Delicious holiday-season subplots await in South Florida on Sunday when the Jets play the Dolphins in their finale — and possibly Rex Ryan’s final game as their head coach.

Rarely does a late-season game with no playoff implications carry the kind of compelling storylines for a team that this one does for the Jets.

Five years ago, when the Jets played their final regular-season game against the Dolphins and needed a win to remain alive in the playoff hunt, they lost, and head coach Eric Mangini was fired the next day.

That’s where Ryan’s NFL head coaching career was born.

A big reason Mangini was fired was related to the powerful influence irate Jets fans had on impressionable owner Woody Johnson, angry the team’s season ended so badly after an 8-3 start. There was a public outcry for Mangini’s ouster, and Johnson — at his core a fan first — reacted.

Five years later, in the case of Ryan, you have to wonder what kind of influence Jets fans will have on Johnson this time.

The fans have spoken. There has been overwhelming public support of Ryan.

The players have spoken. Their ardent support for Ryan has been loud and clear, consistent and unanimous.

Ryan has spoken. He has stated unequivocally he believes he’s the “right man for the job.’’

The media have spoken. Newspaper columns, radio time and Internet space has been devoted to weighing in on the strong job Ryan has done this season with this overachieving team with limited talent.

Asked on Tuesday if he and other players might feel compelled to speak directly to Idzik in support of Ryan, guard Willie Colon said: “I think enough has been said.’’

“Me and other guys have stepped out individually and made our comments,’’ Colon added. “Rex is our guy. We believe in him. It’s a business decision and as players all we can do is play. That’s not our call. Right now, our play on the field speaks more volumes than us just coming out talking.’’

The only persons of interest who have not spoken are the two that really matter: Johnson, who has deflected all questions about the future of his head coach, and rookie general manager John Idzik, who has been so silent since coming here we can’t be certain he even speaks to his family.

That makes the most fascinating subplot to this latest version of Jets-Dolphins the fact that it will finally begin to uncover the shroud of mystery that Idzik has created regarding Ryan and the direction of the franchise.

Should the Jets beat the Dolphins and finish 8-8 — two wins more than the Vegas preseason over/under of six — and Ryan is fired anyway, we know Idzik never had any intention of keeping him beyond this season regardless of results.

If this happens, we know Idzik, who took the job a year ago with the understanding that he had to keep Ryan at least for the 2013 season, planned to hire his own head coach (Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, San Diego offensive coordinator Ken Wisenhunt, Lovie Smith?) all along once he finished (endured?) his one year with Ryan.

Johnson always has been smitten with Ryan, the man he made the face of the franchise five years ago, so it’s not likely he’s in a hurry to fire Ryan, whom he owes another $3 million for 2014. If Ryan is let go, we know Johnson has given Idzik full autonomy on all football decisions.

If Ryan is fired, don’t feel too sorry for him. He’s had a good run (two AFC Championship games) and made a lot of money and he will be hired five minutes after he’s fired (the Lions are a perfect fit for him if Jim Schwartz does not survive another playoff-less year).

If Ryan is fired, the only questions that will remain in his sizable wake will be whether he had earned the right to get extended for one more year and whether the replacement Idzik brings in truly is a better alternative to the continuity the organization could have kept intact had a change not been made.

Because they're not.

it's the discipline mostly.  players were told early onthat since rex runs his mouth, they can too.  hey otherwise they won't like the HC or think its fair.  they can quit and keep their job.  they can suck and keep their job

the word on the street was ozzie didn't want rex as HC because he is too close to the players to make decisions in the best interest of the team.  we've seen this over and over

HC is a different skill set than playcaller.  you need to be the deciderer.  you have to swing the axe.  he just can't do it

next

Archived