Dyer: Keep Rex-The Fans Have Spoken, And They Want Rex Back

flgreen

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was competent against the Raiders and Browns, two of the worst defenses in the NFL. If you're taking that to mean that a corner was turned, you're being MUCH more optimistic that you have a right to given the facts. 

Lol, against the browns and raiders.

also scored 20 points against the Panthers. Didn't win the game but the offense was functional. 

Tell me which teams in the NFL have a better collective front 7 than the Jets.

I'm waiting.

Seahawks, Panthers, Niners, Texans, Rams, Bengals, Broncos. All have more impact players in the front seven than the Jets. The Jets "front seven" story is Mo, Sheldon, and sometimes Snacks/Quinton. That's 3-4 players short of an awesome front seven. And zero linebackers. If you think the Jets have the best front seven in football you are ignoring the Niners who have Bowmann/Willis/Brooks and a good DL. the Jets just have the DL. 

You can't look at the offensive line on that game and feel good about anything except a few good runs by Ivory. 

the Panthers game was going along swimmingly until the punt block. But they hung in there against a better team, got behind and eventually geno threw his pick 6. But overall the offense is playing better and the team is playing better.

the Panthers game was going along swimmingly until the punt block. But they hung in there against a better team, got behind and eventually geno threw his pick 6. But overall the offense is playing better and the team is playing better.

It's quite a stretch to take anything positive offensively out of that game. They were barely moving the ball. 

It's quite a stretch to take anything positive offensively out of that game. They were barely moving the ball. 

3rd quarter they are down 16-6, start at their own 14 yard line. Drive it all the way down and Sheldon gets the "fridge" TD to make it 16-13. That was a good drive. Cumby had a 35 yard catch.  They were in a position to steal that game until the punt block. 

3rd quarter they are down 16-6, start at their own 14 yard line. Drive it all the way down and Sheldon gets the "fridge" TD to make it 16-13. That was a good drive. Cumby had a 35 yard catch.  They were in a position to steal that game until the punt block. 

Nowhere near enough to make anyone think that that is the underpinnings of a good consistent offense. 

Nowhere near enough to make anyone think that that is the underpinnings of a good consistent offense. 

it's improvement. They still have the stankiest weaponz in all of football. You guys should be crying about firing Idzik not Rex. Idziks the one that built this sh*tbag roster not the HC.

Jets' Calvin Pace on 'chaos' caused by coaching changes: 'As a player, it’s not ideal'

William Perlman/The Star-Ledger

on December 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM, updated December 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM

jets stock

Jets' Calvin Pace on 'chaos' caused by coaching changes: 'As a player, it’s not ideal'

Calvin Pace responded to being cut and having to take a pay cut after last season with perhaps the finest season of his 11-year career.

The Jets’ 33-year-old outside linebacker had a career-high 10 sacks this year, surpassing the eight he had in 2009, his second year with the team. This season, only defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson has more sacks than Pace. Wilkerson has 10½

Before the 2008 season, the Jets signed Pace to a six-year contract worth $42 million, including $22 million in guaranteed earnings — at the time, one of the most lucrative deals ever given to a linebacker.

This season was going to be that contract’s final year. But after Pace had just three sacks last season — his fewest since 2006 — the Jets cut him and let him test the free-agent market. Pace wound up re-signing with the Jets for a significantly reduced wage, by NFL standards — a one-year contract with a $940,000 base salary and $65,000 signing bonus.

He will turn 34 in October and believes he still has a year or two left. He would like to spend 2014 with the Jets, who conclude this season Sunday at Miami. But some of that might depend on whether coach Rex Ryan is brought back for a sixth season.

“I’ve said if they want me back, I definitely would come back,” Pace said. “If Rex hopefully is here, then it would be a thousand percent chance that I would definitely do that. I haven’t really thought about it too much.”

Pace is one of several players who have publicly advocated for retaining Ryan.

“Any time you make a change, it’s automatic that you’ve got to reset,” Pace said of a potential coaching change. “You’ve got a new system. A guy might want to bring some of his people in. As a player, it’s not ideal. It’s just not. It’s chaos. You’ll see people just getting cut or whatnot. I think Rex is the guy, but they haven’t asked me my opinion.”

If the Jets beat Miami, they will finish 8-8, but still out of the playoffs for the third straight year.

“If you look at the record, some people would say we overachieved,” Pace said. “I think we’re moving in the right direction. I think he’s the right guy for the job.”

But the Dolphins still have a playoff berth to play for, and they smoked the Jets 23-3 on Dec. 1. So 8-8 will not come easily for these Jets.

“They dominated us,” Pace said. “We didn’t do anything well. For whatever reason, we just couldn’t get off the field.”

The Dolphins went 7 of 16 on third downs in the teams’ first meeting, while the Jets were just 2 of 12.

Seahawks, Panthers, Niners, Texans, Rams, Bengals, Broncos. All have more impact players in the front seven than the Jets. The Jets "front seven" story is Mo, Sheldon, and sometimes Snacks/Quinton. That's 3-4 players short of an awesome front seven. And zero linebackers. If you think the Jets have the best front seven in football you are ignoring the Niners who have Bowmann/Willis/Brooks and a good DL. the Jets just have the DL. 

Ellis and Douzable are good rotational players on the d-line, too.

Coples plays as a linebacker more often than not. Pace had 10 sacks this season. Likely generated by the line but give him some credit. Harris/Davis isn't the best MLB combo, but it's not bad at all and I can't believe all the hate they get. It's a great front 7, easily among the top 5 in the league.

Rex is the guy who gets fired from the Jets and the next time you see him he's deep in the playoffs with a real QB. If you took Rex Ryan and swapped him with John Fox no one would say fire Rex Ryan. the problem with this team is the street free agents at every position not the coach. In short if the Jets fire Rex they will be making a mistake.

This argument makes sense, but it would be far more impactful if it weren't the same one you've made about every single person, player, coach, or front office, who's come under fire.

it's improvement. They still have the stankiest weaponz in all of football. You guys should be crying about firing Idzik not Rex. Idziks the one that built this sh*tbag roster not the HC.

Truth mixed with bullcrap.

You're dead on with regard to the Panthers game. They are a good team, a better team, and the Jets hung tight. The punt block was the death blow. I left that game very impressed with what they did vs. a far superior opponent.

But, blaming Idzik for this roster just shows your agenda transparently. One season, with minimal cap space, a ton of bad contracts, and a raw rookie and an injured vet who wasn't good anyway. NFL franchises aren't build in one offseason. Next year, you can start to see Idzik's fingerprint on this roster. At present, he was tearing down the nightmare that Tannenbaum built.

But, blaming Idzik for this roster just shows your agenda transparently 

if you read my quote i didn't say "I personally blame IDzik" what I said was if you are mad about the roster you are blaming the wrong person. My hope is that Rex returns and so does Idzik. I don't have a problem with the current direction of the team. In fact Marty Mornhinwheg might be the best OC this team has had... since the Parcells era.

if you read my quote i didn't say "I personally blame IDzik" what I said was if you are mad about the roster you are blaming the wrong person. My hope is that Rex returns and so does Idzik. I don't have a problem with the current direction of the team. In fact Marty Mornhinwheg might be the best OC this team has had... since the Parcells era.

I'm beginning to get on board with this. Rex is not BB, but I think you can win with him, and if you blame Tannenbaum to the degree that I do, I think it's only logically consistent to say Rex wasn't the reason this roster fell apart.

Can Rex fix the secondary without having a Hall of Famer taking away one side of the field?

Rex is the defensive Jason Garrett.

Rex has 3 OC's in 5 years, and is Garrett on his 2nd or 3rd DC in 3 years? Hmmm, same trend. Blame the coordinator, when the side of the ball that you cant even spell, sucks.

These 2 will lead the parade on Black Monday, along with Frazier, Schiano, Shanahan, Munchak and Smith.

Archived