David Nelson- Signs Extension

BurnleyJet

So, he's a good downfield blocker?

Decent but the comparison I see:  reliable hands but a bit slow...acts like a pro in the locker room.

IMO...Cotchery had some chemistry with Sanchez...the game he got hurt he had that tough catch where he's hopping around...just a gutty player.  See the same with Nelson...nothing special speed wise but somehow manages to get open or at least works to get open once the initial play breaks down...catches the ball when it's thrown his way.  Doubt he makes All-pro but nice WR to have around.

It's not that he doesn't deserve a contract but what's the hurry?  If he's already under contract for next year, he's not going anywhere and besides we picked him off the scrap heap anyway. I would think he would jump at the chance to come to camp next year even if had no contract.

Don't know if he's that impressive.  After having  back-to-back 80 yard games early in the season, he went away and the last four games combined he has 14 receptions for 140 yards.  Some posters have said he doesn't fight much for the ball.

Not a bad pickup from the Bills' practice squad but I'm a little surprised the Jets consider him in "don't let him get away" territory.  My guess is that they sense he and Geno are beginning to gel and signing Nelson was a vote of confidence in Geno

honestly hes a five. i expect never to hear from Davis Nelson again. If at any point David Nelson is on the field next year and it's not as a fifth WR, we have failed.

Who's ahead of him on the current roster - not counting the soon to be dismissed Holmes? I'd say the only lock is Kerley, and he's a guy you'd like to have as your #3. Hill? It'd be nice, but no guarantee. I guess if you have Nelson as your #5, Hill could be your #4? So you're saying the Jets have failed if they don't bring in two new starting WRs? So an expensive FA and a first round pick?

It's obviously a huge position of need, but that would be a lot - even with all the money and picks Idzik has to spend next year. They need a TE, too. And maybe -I don't know- a QB?

I think Nelson's a nice little signing. He's got some chemistry with Geno, and he's a guy who can start for you in a pinch.

Don't know if he's that impressive.  After having  back-to-back 80 yard games early in the season, he went away and the last four games combined he has 14 receptions for 140 yards.  Some posters have said he doesn't fight much for the ball.

Not a bad pickup from the Bills' practice squad but I'm a little surprised the Jets consider him in "don't let him get away" territory.  My guess is that they sense he and Geno are beginning to gel and signing Nelson was a vote of confidence in Geno

Or they think that he will be a much better receiver once they get a QB who can actually throw him the ball and not the DB covering him

Or they think that he will be a much better receiver once they get a QB who can actually throw him the ball and not the DB covering him

Perhaps, but he's a scrap heap player whose career is not guaranteed.  He'll sign with the Jets or anybody who offers a contract.  There is no reason to sign him right before the last game of the season, unless to give a hint to Rex that they kind of like the direction the team is going in considering the injuries and everything else, but Rex and the team still have to show them something this last game or there still might be a change.

Perhaps, but he's a scrap heap player whose career is not guaranteed.  He'll sign with the Jets or anybody who offers a contract.  There is no reason to sign him right before the last game of the season, unless to give a hint to Rex that they kind of like the direction the team is going in considering the injuries and everything else, but Rex and the team still have to show them something this last game or there still might be a change.

Actually I agree.

If the Jets get blown out, and show no heart today, this could be Rex's last game

Archived