Keiper Re-Grades Jets Draft.

eboozer

LOL trading down for Doug Jolley, then picking a kicker with that second round pick.  Definitely not one of Bradway's finer moments. 

That draft showed what was wrong and what was right with Bradway.  He traded #26 and our 7th which was used on Cassell for Jolley, the 2nd used on Nugent and two 6ths.  One was Cedric Houston, the other was used to trade up in the 4th for Rhodes.  Sure his first two picks in the draft were Nugent and Miller, but he did add Rhodes, Pouha in the 3rd and Joel Dreesen in the 6th.  

If I were GM I would see who Bradway was wetting himself about trading up for and rather than trading up, if he was still there when I picked I'd probably pull the trigger.  May have been what they were doing with Wilson in 2012, but he was gone 3 picks before.  Maybe they would have taken Wilson over Demario Davis. Who knows?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tannenbaum routinely gets bashed for this here.  It is a valid criticism, but there was some merit to using this method during the "window"  The Jets roster (except QB) was pretty strong.  It made sense to forego some lower picks for players that you knew could make an impact - like Greene.  As you state, the issue is that trading picks for players (Shepard, Cro, Edwards, Holmes) eventually forces your hand on contracts.  It would have been better to just draft a decent CB than to keep trading for one.  I think Tannenbaum's philosophy started okay, but he made a huge error with Sanchez and fell too in love with the trade up after his early successes in Revis and Harris. 

Bashing Tannenbaum is so 2012. The Jets are entering into a pretty brand new era, it only makes sense to critique where the last one went wrong so we'll know what to bitch about going forward.

That draft showed what was wrong and what was right with Bradway.  He traded #26 and our 7th which was used on Cassell for Jolley, the 2nd used on Nugent and two 6ths.  One was Cedric Houston, the other was used to trade up in the 4th for Rhodes.  Sure his first two picks in the draft were Nugent and Miller, but he did add Rhodes, Pouha in the 3rd and Joel Dreesen in the 6th.  

If I were GM I would see who Bradway was wetting himself about trading up for and rather than trading up, if he was still there when I picked I'd probably pull the trigger.  May have been what they were doing with Wilson in 2012, but he was gone 3 picks before.  Maybe they would have taken Wilson over Demario Davis. Who knows. 

Wow I forgot about Cedric Houston. That guy could have turned into a good running back if he hadn't given up on football.

But that draft was classic Bradway.  The trades/picks at the top half of the draft were terrible, while the bottom half was pretty solid.

Fortunately, the person actually responsible for negotiating those contracts works for the Dolphins now.

Both were embarrassing.  Bradway tendered Coles at a lower amount, where if a team signed him they only gave up their first rounder, as opposed to their first and third round picks.  

Then he screwed up the paperwork on Chad Morton's offer, and Washington snatched him up without having to give up anything.

Both were embarrassing.  Bradway tendered Coles at a lower amount, where if a team signed him they only gave up their first rounder, as opposed to their first and third round picks.  

Then he screwed up the paperwork on Chad Morton's offer, and Washington snatched him up without having to give up anything.

Again, not Bradway's department, and frankly getting a first-rounder for Coles instead of keeping him for an extra year at 1.5M then losing him for nothing was probably one of Tannenbaum's better moves anyway. Dawn Aponte wrote Chad Morton's contract.

I actually love that Bradway is here still. It can be written in stone that he has a real eye for talent, and its hard as **** to find good scouts and draft guys. As its been almost a decade since he was last the GM here you haven to be a little crazy to even care at this point. I was ecstatic about the Graves hire. The Cardinals never could get the pub they deserved fornfinding draft talent during the 2000s.

I'm so annoyed at how late I am to the mid round thing.

The mid and late rounders we used on OL were all disasters, that really hurt. Winters was just brutal at times and his ceiling looks like it's marginally average. Ivory was a pleasant addition but the problem with trading away the 4th is you lose out on a good prospect on the cheap. My concern is that we only get a couple years out of him when that pick could have been used on something longer term. It's easy to bitch about Geno and Milliner, it really is, but honestly it's just too hard to be totally disattisfied with a draft where it's looking like we landed the best player in it.

I disagree that Winters was that bad. He struggled some yes, but to say he was awful is never to have seen Wayne Hunter play. Now THAT was awful. I think B+ is a solid grade. And BTW his name is spelled Kiper.

I disagree that Winters was that bad. He struggled some yes, but to say he was awful is never to have seen Wayne Hunter play. Now THAT was awful. I think B+ is a solid grade. And BTW his name is spelled Kiper.

Wayne Hunter is not the guard that cost us a season.  Wayne Hunter is the tackle that cost us a season.  The guard that cost us a season was Adrien Clarke. 

He has absolutely been that bad. PFF had him as the 5th lowest graded guard of the season out of over 70. He had his best performance of the season against Miami (the only game where he finished with a +1 grade), which may be indiciative of something, but certainly nothing to rely on going into 2014. As far as a grade on the season goes, I suppose if you're being generous you could give him a D+ for being OK in the running game, but he was a complete disaster in pass protection.

He has absolutely been that bad. PFF had him as the 5th lowest graded guard of the season out of over 70. He had his best performance of the season against Miami (the only game where he finished with a +1 grade), which may be indiciative of something, but certainly nothing to rely on going into 2014. As far as a grade on the season goes, I suppose if you're being generous you could give him a D+ for being OK in the running game, but he was a complete disaster in pass protection.

Yeah, based on what was hopefully a late season sign of progress you absolutely let the kid come in and compete for a starting spot in camp, but the key there is competition.  No need to blindly consider it "his job" and hand him the spot as if he's some proven established veteran.  It's not like guard is the most difficult of positions to find an at least a somewhat competent option in FA for fairly cheap.  Wasn't the contract Slauson signed with the Bears last year at or around vet minimum (which I still don't know why they didn't retain him)?

Yeah, based on what was hopefully a late season sign of progress you absolutely let the kid come in and compete for a starting spot in camp, but the key there is competition.  No need to blindly consider it "his job" and hand him the spot as if he's some proven established veteran.  It's not like guard is the most difficult of positions to find an at least a somewhat competent option in FA for fairly cheap.  Wasn't the contract Slauson signed with the Bears last year at or around vet minimum (which I still don't know why they didn't retain him)?

Because cutting Vladimir Ducasse wouldn't have made the Jets any better or some ******* sh*t.

Slausen was paid handsomely. That's why we'll get a 5th rd. comp pick for him.

Name            Team         TotalValue           APY            Guarantee    GuaranteePer/Year       PercentGuaranteed        Free Agent
Matt Slauson Bears       $12,800,000    $3,200,000     $3,900,000        $975,000                              30.5%                        2018

See post above

Slausen was paid handsomely. That's why we'll get a 5th rd. comp pick for him.

Name            Team         TotalValue           APY            Guarantee    GuaranteePer/Year       PercentGuaranteed        Free Agent

Matt Slauson Bears       $12,800,000    $3,200,000     $3,900,000        $975,000                              30.5%                        2018

3.9M guaranteed, 975 base a year.   Cheap for a starter

Archived