Keiper Re-Grades Jets Draft.

eboozer

New York Jets

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10324666/nfl-mel-kiper-regrading-2013-nfl-draft

Post-draft grade: B

Summary: I summarized the Jets' draft in April by writing: "I wanted the Jets to get a safety, but I still think they deserve a pretty good grade for hitting a few big needs. Now, they need to be patient with Smith." A season later, I'd say they still need a safety, but get a slight bump because they hit a huge home run with Richardson, who didn't just play like a good rookie, but like a Pro Bowl-caliber 3-4 defensive end, and is arguably already one of the best run-stoppers in the NFL.

But the grade can't climb much because of two things: One, Milliner struggled mightily, and some of the technical issues I said he'd have to clean up were even bigger than I thought. There's no doubting his talent, and I won't take back that I had him the highest-graded cornerback in the draft, but there's work to be done. (It does help his cause that there wasn't a great rookie cornerback to be found this season. Really. It's a tough transition.) Two, my comment on them needing to be patient with Smith still stands, but you have to wonder just how patient. He had some good moments in 2013, but look at the overall profile, and you're not talking about a player who starts for almost any other team. I said Winters would start and he did, and Bohanon is also a good player. Good draft, but the grade only inches up thanks to Richardson and value added late as we wait on Milliner and Smith.

New grade: B+

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New York Jets

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10324666/nfl-mel-kiper-regrading-2013-nfl-draft

Post-draft grade: B

Summary: I summarized the Jets' draft in April by writing: "I wanted the Jets to get a safety, but I still think they deserve a pretty good grade for hitting a few big needs. Now, they need to be patient with Smith." A season later, I'd say they still need a safety, but get a slight bump because they hit a huge home run with Richardson, who didn't just play like a good rookie, but like a Pro Bowl-caliber 3-4 defensive end, and is arguably already one of the best run-stoppers in the NFL.

But the grade can't climb much because of two things: One, Milliner struggled mightily, and some of the technical issues I said he'd have to clean up were even bigger than I thought. There's no doubting his talent, and I won't take back that I had him the highest-graded cornerback in the draft, but there's work to be done. (It does help his cause that there wasn't a great rookie cornerback to be found this season. Really. It's a tough transition.) Two, my comment on them needing to be patient with Smith still stands, but you have to wonder just how patient. He had some good moments in 2013, but look at the overall profile, and you're not talking about a player who starts for almost any other team. I said Winters would start and he did, and Bohanon is also a good player. Good draft, but the grade only inches up thanks to Richardson and value added late as we wait on Milliner and Smith.

New grade: B+

Kelly posted this article in another thread that I missed. She also had this added on...

"When you're thinking about the Jets' '13 draft, think about this number: 3,967.

That's the combined total of offensive, defensive and special teams snaps played by the Jets' five rookies -- impressive. It's the highest amount in the AFC East, slightly better than the Buffalo Bills (3,819) and way ahead of the New England Patriots (2,672) and Miami Dolphins (1,886).

> http://espn.go.com/b...weaks-jets-mark

The mid and late rounders we used on OL were all disasters, that really hurt. Winters was just brutal at times and his ceiling looks like it's marginally average. Ivory was a pleasant addition but the problem with trading away the 4th is you lose out on a good prospect on the cheap. My concern is that we only get a couple years out of him when that pick could have been used on something longer term. It's easy to bitch about Geno and Milliner, it really is, but honestly it's just too hard to be totally disattisfied with a draft where it's looking like we landed the best player in it.

The mid and late rounders we used on OL were all disasters, that really hurt. Winters was just brutal at times and his ceiling looks like it's marginally average. Ivory was a pleasant addition but the problem with trading away the 4th is you lose out on a good prospect on the cheap. My concern is that we only get a couple years out of him when that pick could have been used on something longer term. It's easy to bitch about Geno and Milliner, it really is, but honestly it's just too hard to be totally disattisfied with a draft where it's looking like we landed the best player in it.

In Ivory you had a body of work to base your evaluation on at the Pro Level. Who's to say that a cheap 4th rd. college player would give you anywhere near the quality if Ivory?

Ivory's contract is also VERY reasonable for a starting running back.

Here are the only RB's taken in the 4th rd. Anyone better than Ivory?

The only late rd. home run was Stacy in rd. 5

125 Green Bay Packers Johnathan Franklin RB UCLA  130 Baltimore Ravens Kyle Juszczyk RB Harvard 131 San Francisco 49ers Marcus Lattimore RB South Carolina

Yeah, probably could have drafted another All-World like McKnight and let the beast on the loose.

How can u find a reason to not be happy with a 4 th round pick that has all the making of being the best jets RB since Curtis?

Yeah, probably could have drafted another All-World like McKnight and let the beast on the loose.

How can u find a reason to not be happy with a 4 th round pick that has all the making of being the best jets RB since Curtis?

Never said I wasn't happy. Ivory is very good but costs a lot more money than a prospect at that slot does. There's an economic side to things as well and rounds 3-5 is where you can solve a ton of problems on the cheap. It's also still too early to evaluate it objectively, hence my concern. If he lasts long term, great. If not, that's bad.

I wouldn't mind the Jets signing Theo Riddick to a futures contract right now. Kid had great hands out of backfield... converted receiver.

Never said I wasn't happy. Ivory is very good but costs a lot more money than a prospect at that slot does. There's an economic side to things as well and rounds 3-5 is where you can solve a ton of problems on the cheap. It's also still too early to evaluate it objectively, hence my concern. If he lasts long term, great. If not, that's bad.

If it doesn't work out you cut him. It was a team friendly deal... $8mil...$2.5 mil guaranteed.... $750,000 base salary thru 2016

37th highest paid running back

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=RB

Agreed.  It's interesting that Tannenbaum hit a "homerun" in the draft early in his Jet GM tenure too (w/ Revis).

Aboushi and Campbell were abortions of a pick and I really don't see any way they warrant their draft slot. I understand our franchise has been tired of trading up due to Tanny's fiascoes, but sometimes moving up to grab a Larry Warford in the early third is worth more than Winters and a defensive tackle converting to OG. Sheldon looking like a perennial pro-bowler makes up for just about anything in the draft, but it would be nice for once to get starters on their rookie contracts for 3-4 years.  

I'm pretty sure Slats has mentioned it, but I don't see any way all 12 of our picks make the team. I'd be more inclined to burn a 5th or 6th rounder to move up a few slots to grab a guy you really want, rather than settle for someone who won't contribute for 2 years on a team that's void of talent.

this is a horrible evaluation of the deal for ivory. if you can get a rb that is as good as ivory with a 4th round pick you have struck gold. he isn't costing us much. it was a great deal.

Campbell is a conversion project that had his moments in camp last season. Aboushi needed to get into the weight room. IMO, both guys could come into camp this year and contend for jobs. If they couldn't play at all, I think Idzik wouldn't have kept them on the roster all year.

Campbell is a conversion project that had his moments in camp last season. Aboushi needed to get into the weight room. IMO, both guys could come into camp this year and contend for jobs. If they couldn't play at all, I think Idzik wouldn't have kept them on the roster all year.

Campbell perhaps.  Aboushi looked in camp like it was the first day he had ever been on a football field.   He was horrible.  

Campbell perhaps. Aboushi looked in camp like it was the first day he had ever been on a football field. He was horrible.

My impression was that he was just really skinny, especially in the legs. He got pushed around a lot. I want to see him show up to camp at 325 lbs, then judge him.

My impression was that he was just really skinny, especially in the legs. He got pushed around a lot. I want to see him show up to camp at 325 lbs, then judge him.

That was my impression of Winters.  Even though he is carried at 320 he looked weak and was getting thrown around.  Perhaps an off season getting strong will help him.

Aboushi aside from having no upper body strength appeared to have very bad foot work, and 0 technique

That was my impression of Winters. Even though he is carried at 320 he looked weak and was getting thrown around. Perhaps an off season getting strong will help him.

Aboushi aside from having no upper body strength appeared to have very bad foot work, and 0 technique

We'll see, I guess. The good news is that we're not relying on either Aboushi or Campbell to play yet, if ever.

Aboushi and Campbell were abortions of a pick and I really don't see any way they warrant their draft slot. I understand our franchise has been tired of trading up due to Tanny's fiascoes, but sometimes moving up to grab a Larry Warford in the early third is worth more than Winters and a defensive tackle converting to OG. Sheldon looking like a perennial pro-bowler makes up for just about anything in the draft, but it would be nice for once to get starters on their rookie contracts for 3-4 years.

I'm pretty sure Slats has mentioned it, but I don't see any way all 12 of our picks make the team. I'd be more inclined to burn a 5th or 6th rounder to move up a few slots to grab a guy you really want, rather than settle for someone who won't contribute for 2 years on a team that's void of talent.

No harm in shifting back and forth within and between rounds. Particularly when you're working with as many picks as we'll have (though several of those are going to be compensentory). The problem comes in when you start going down the picks-for-players road. That shift in philosophy under Tannenbaum is exactly what wound up being the breaking point for this franchise. Even more impactful than the Sanchez extension really.

If Milliner and Geno come on strong in year two.... A+

Can anybody, who's an Insider post the rest of the division and I'd be curious of the Rams and Minnesota grades.

Smith is going to make or break that draft.  He won' break it actually because of Richardson, but you get what I am saying.  He can take it from good to great.  :)

That one would sting. Missing on a guard in the third would suck. It just seemed like he turned the wrong way off the snap almost every time.

It happens. One of the habits that Rex and this franchise as a whole needs to shed is holding on to lost causes for way too long. It takes up roster space and more importantly prevents the organization from making sound decisions. Sanchez circa 2012 is obviously the worst of the worst but there are plenty others, the fact that ******* Ducasse is still on the roster is insane. Slauson having an absolutely incredible season really made things sting even more.

Agreed on Oboushi, never understood the hype except that he had experience playing LT, was found in the fifth round and presented value according to the talking heads. Apparently he was a first-team All ACC selection, so something is there; I just never saw it. 

I'm holding out hope for Campbell.  He plays low, has enough talent to play in this league (good motor), just won't make any trips to Hawaii.  The perfect sixth round pick if you ask me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_7BGrcIsjo  

Check out his sack of McCarrons at 2:39.

He's a player.  Just not an amazing one.  Might make for a great OG type. 

It happens. One of the habits that Rex and this franchise as a whole needs to shed is holding on to lost causes for way too long. It takes up roster space and more importantly prevents the organization from making sound decisions. Sanchez circa 2012 is obviously the worst of the worst but there are plenty others, the fact that ******* Ducasse is still on the roster is insane. Slauson having an absolutely incredible season really made things sting even more.

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on this, as it's something I've been droning on about for awhile: The great failing of Rex's program has been an inability to develop talent. There are no overachievers on this team. No Bart Scott- or Jim Leonhard-type developmental success stories (other than Harrison). Basically, if you're not a defensive lineman, you're as good as you're going to get from the second you walk in the door here.

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on this, as it's something I've been droning on about for awhile: The great failing of Rex's program has been an inability to develop talent. There are no overachievers on this team. No Bart Scott- or Jim Leonhard-type developmental success stories (other than Harrison). Basically, if you're not a defensive lineman, you're as good as you're going to get from the second you walk in the door here.

Rex doesn't develop QB's, RB's, WR's or even DLmen & DB's.... position coaches train 'em up. If these guys aren't developing, you get some new assistants.

Rex was great when he was LB'ers coach... He's a HC now. He'll concentrate on the defense and Marty will get after the offensive players.

Player development, strength and conditioning coaches also play an important role. I'm sure Idzik will be putting his stamp on this in the not so distant future. Seattle seems to stress player development.... probably why he was waiting so long on the assistant coaches contracts.

Having Matt Forte and Cutler slingin' it to the "Monsters of the Midway" will make any lineman look good. Hold your block for 3 seconds and Bam! 5+ yard avg. gain.

I hope we can get a 5th rd. comp pick for Slausen... that will lessen the pain of not bringing him back.

That's kinda hard to say, no? Those guys never saw the field, and Idzik has yet to cut one of his own draft picks. We don't yet know what level of couldn't play at all is required for him to go there.

That's kinda hard to say, no? Those guys never saw the field, and Idzik has yet to cut one of his own draft picks. We don't yet know what level of couldn't play at all is required for him to go there.

I think if they sucked entirely and the whole league thought they sucked entirely, you could have exposed them to the Practice Squad, especially when all the receivers started going down.

Archived