Idzik Difficult Decision On Folk

JetNation

Graham Gano is a FA and he's not terrible. That said, I don't mind Folk coming back and pretty much have the same views Sperm has shared. I don't particularly care for potentially increasing the odds on getting a comp pick. 

I don't think we'll get any comp picks for this FA season.  Though it's possible with all the players Idzik signed to 1-year deals, which now makes them true UFAs, the odds of many of them being in demand enough for others to sign away from us for more than the vet minimums is pretty slim.  Unless the only FAs we go after are guys who were cut elsewhere, I wouldn't expect any.  With the space we have, we are unlikely to be sitting on our hands.  Last year, when we were signing low-level stop-gap guys, it made sense to stay away from UFAs.  When you're spending big money on players for long-term deals, you don't generally factor in the potential loss of a compensatory draft pick in the following year's draft (or I wouldn't, anyway).

Signing Willie Colon to a 1-year deal = we'd have stayed away from and not signed if he was a UFA rather than a player who was cut. 

Signing Eric Decker (if they go after him) to a 5-year deal = ignore the possibility of canceling out a 4th rounder next year.

For the same reason, stay away from band-aid players who are true UFAs (like Idzik did last season).  So don't bother looking at low-level guys from this list until you're certain we've blown away any chance at any compensatory picks of value with prior signings (or if we are not expecting any significant comp. picks in the first place).  Canceling out a 7th round comp pick? Fine.  Canceling out a 3rd-4th rounder? Screw that; find a similar scrub who was cut or draft someone.

How is this decision difficult? If he were only an average kicker, then yes, pay him the league minimum- but he clearly isn't. Give him a multi-year deal, which shouldn't be any sort of blow to the cap situation. Seriously, if Idzik is struggling with this decision, then he shouldn't be the GM

I know we have money to spend but this is not a position we should we wasting money on.  Kickers are replaceable.  And it's not like Folk is guaranteed to have another great year.  It's a year-to-year type thing for most of them.

reliable kickers are worth decent money. if folk is reasonable, you re-sign him. I wouldn't consider that wasted money. more like an investment. this board would lose its mind if idzik let folk go over a few dollars and then signed some bum who misses field goals all year. or worst yet. miss just the game winners

Except we wouldn't get that pick unless we stayed on the sideline and didn't sign a lot of UFAs this offseason.

Would be pretty funny, though, if he got a top 3 contract for his position from someone else, and under the CBA if that translates to a 3rd round compensatory pick.

I think I'd ante up a bit for him.  I have no stomach for kickers where it's an adventure every time they make an attempt.  He's as reliable a kicker as we've had pretty much ever.  In particular, it's not like we have some great offense in place where our kicker is kicking mostly XPs, and those FGs could easily be the difference between the playoffs and staying home in January.

But yeah, that's a lot of coin for a kicker.  Still, is he worth the extra million or two per year, or is it worth an extra million upgrade at one or two positions better-spent.  Probably Folk.  Also there's that other thing: kickers sometimes just start sucking from out of nowhere.  Look at David Akers.  Hell, look at Nick Folk when he was with Dallas.  Was a 91% kicker and then the next year he was a 65% kicker.  Think it couldn't happen again? It can.

in fairness the guy was recovering from surgery he was shakey when he got here and consistently got better and better.

Archived