who do you believe will be our starting receivers & qb by preseason

Jetknowledge

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that Jets fans want Sam Bradford so badly tells you everything you need to know.  Teams just don't give up on coveted franchise QB's.  He's better than half the starters in the league.  Just because he's had a couple of injuries and isn't super elite doesn't mean we'd ever get our hands on him until he's in Favre-as-a-Jet-age territory. 

It's not that easy to just say "He might not be the guy, let's get rid of him".  Not when QB is so scarce that even mediocre starting QB's like Joe Flacco and Jay Cutler are getting monster deals. 

It'd be such a better decision for the Rams to take advantage of the weak QB market and trade down from the 2nd pick.  Especially if the Texans take Clowney or Manziel.  A team out there will want Bridgewater badly enough to give up two 1st rounders.  If Bradford gets hurt again or sucks in '14, they'd then have plenty of ammo to go get a Mariota, Winston or Hundley if they so choose in '15.

The fact that Jets fans want Sam Bradford so badly tells you everything you need to know.  Teams just don't give up on coveted franchise QB's.  He's better than half the starters in the league.  Just because he's had a couple of injuries and isn't super elite doesn't mean we'd ever get our hands on him until he's in Favre-as-a-Jet-age territory. 

It's not that easy to just say "He might not be the guy, let's get rid of him".  Not when QB is so scarce that even mediocre starting QB's like Joe Flacco and Jay Cutler are getting monster deals. 

It'd be such a better decision for the Rams to take advantage of the weak QB market and trade down from the 2nd pick.  Especially if the Texans take Clowney or Manziel.  A team out there will want Bridgewater badly enough to give up two 1st rounders.  If Bradford gets hurt again or sucks in '14, they'd then have plenty of ammo to go get a Mariota, Winston or Hundley if they so choose in '15.

If ever another QB in this league reminds me of CHAD, its Sam Bradford. Sam obviously has a better arm than CHAD, but all the other qualities seem eerily similar. About the same size, smart, accurate, and a tad fragile.

I tend to agree, although there are a couple of scenario's out there that actually make some sense, where St. Louis would be trading or releasing Bradford, and picking one of the QB's at #2. Why though? I really don't know, as Bradford in my opinion is and excellent QB who when healthy ( there's that caveat again), is accurate and can make all the throws, and is smart. Maybe they are growing weary of him not playing full seasons, and want to try a different direction. I DONT see it, but I would welcome him to the JETS with open arms, if he ever became available.

The Rams would trade Bradford for a ransom or they wouldn't trade him at all.   He wouldn't be worth it if the Jets gave up a ton of picks for him.    All it would mean is Bradford was the QB and they still had no WR.

Don't listen to Hess.  He's an insane person.  Us getting Sam Bradford is the equivalent of Manti Te'o having a real girlfriend.

hahahaha - Why on earth would the Rams let go of Bradford? And what would it take to get him. Give the Rams our # 2, Eugene Smith and next years #2.   

QB Garappolo

WR Jared Abbrederis 4.41 speed  wooosh

Abbrederis was excellent in 2013 - is a phenomenal route-runner and is in the running as the best route-runner in the draft. 

Good size with deceptive quickness. Personal: Abbrederis is a scholar athlete.
WR Nelson

WR Kerley

WR Sanders

TE    C.J. Fiedorowicz   30 receptions for 299 yards and six touchdowns in 2013. He did a solid job as a blocker for the Hawkeyes, and has more speed and athleticism than one would think. Fiedorowicz turned in a solid performance at the Senior Bowl. 

Bradford had no real WRs in StL either.  What, the first bunch of games of Tavon Austin's career? Caught a bunch of 3-5 yard passes is all I remember.  

Still he's shown improvement (perhaps thanks to working with Brian Schottenheimer, who everyone blamed for Sanchez's ineptitude).  But he came into the league with injury concerns and has missed significant time in 2 of his 4 seasons so far.  Whether they're related or not is irrelevant; some guys are just more brittle than others.  

But for his great improvement numbers, 9 of those 14 TDs came in 3 games against Atlanta, Jacksonville, and Houston.  Give him credit because literally everyone didn't toss 3 TD passes against them, but still none of them were any good.  He had a good game against Arizona, but they were a pretty schizo defense no matter what their final ranking was.  They got man-handled badly a handful of times last season, including that week 1 game against the Rams.

I think he's overrated.  I also think St Louis isn't moving him.  They drafted him #1, paid him all that money, he finally looks like he's turning the corner and then they're going to dump him to begin that process all over again with another rookie QB? Fat chance.

Could be a very interesting off season with money and a ton of trash to sift through.

POSTED FEBRUARY 05, 2014

Sam Bradford, Julius Peppers among NFL’s potential big-name cap casualties

AFC EAST, AFC NORTH, AFC SOUTH, AFC WEST, NFC EAST, NFC NORTH, NFC SOUTH, NFC WEST, NFL FREE AGENCY

BY CHRIS BURKE

Coming off his least productive season in Chicago, Julius Peppers is owed $18.2 million in 2014. (Norm Hall/Getty Images)

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald agreed Tuesday to restructure his contract, thus helping save the Cardinals from the $18 million cap hit he would have handed them next season. Fitzgerald was never in danger of losing his roster spot over his lucrative contract, but some other recognizable names around the league are not so lucky.

With free agency approaching in March, here are a few players who may find themselves on the chopping block as salary cap casualties.

Julius Peppers, Bears: The 34-year-old Peppers is coming off his least productive season in Chicago and has a monstrous cap number of approximately $18.2 million next season. If he refuses to take (or is not offered) a pay cut, it’s hard to envision the Bears committing that amount of cash to Peppers.

Cutting Peppers would saddle the Bears with a dead-money hit of more than $8 million — they could ease the pain by holding onto Peppers until June 1, thus splitting that penalty over the next two seasons. Even cutting him before that date would save close to $10 million for the upcoming season.

Chris Clemons and Sidney Rice, Seahawks: Seattle nickle-and-dimed its way to a Super Bowl with some clever financial work this year, but time has come to pay the piper. Clemons has been a key player up front, but with Cliff Avril due a huge pay increase, from a $1.5 million base salary up to $7 million next season, and Michael Bennett likely on Seattle’s wish list in terms of free agents it would like to keep, saving $7.5 million by axing Clemons makes sense. So, too, does getting more than $7 million back by booting Rice, who’s rehabbing a torn ACL.

Defensive stars Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas are in line for contract extensions soon, too, so the Seahawks have to free up space somehow.

Sam Bradford, Rams: Count this situation as one of the offseason’s great mysteries. Bradford was on pace for his best season as a pro in 2013 before tearing his ACL. Now, with Bradford headed into Year 5 of a six-year contract, the Rams have to make a call on his future.

Two key factors at play here: 1. Bradford is due more than $14 million in base salary next season, and the Rams could save $10.4 million by cutting him (with about $7 million in dead money); 2. The Rams hold two first-round picks, including No. 2 overall, in a draft that boasts several potential No. 1 QBs.

The signs currently point to St. Louis giving Bradford at least one more season at the helm. That may change in the coming weeks.

Terrell Suggs, Ravens: The Ravens bid adieu to Anquan Boldin, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed last year. Could Suggs be the next longtime stalwart out the door? GM Ozzie Newsome reportedly said early last month that the team would make a decision on Suggs’ future by mid-January. So far, there’s been no news.

Suggs, 31, has just one year left on his deal, and the Ravens could save $7.8 million — all of his base salary due next season — by releasing him. A contract extension that spreads out Suggs’ upcoming $12 million cap hit makes more sense, but cutting him is at least a possibility.

Jason Campbell, Browns: Hard to really say what the Browns’ QB situation will look like come the start of the 2014 season. But what does appear rather obvious is that holding onto Campbell makes little financial sense. The Browns owe him $3 million in 2014 plus a $250K roster bonus in March; they could get all of that money back and take it off their cap by cutting him before then.

Troy Polamalu, Steelers: Similar situation to Suggs in that it seems unlikely, but …

The Steelers have slowly dismantled their veteran core due to cap issues, and the $8.25 million they could save by cutting Polamalu certainly would come in handy. (They will receive $6.25 million in savings by cutting OT Levi Brown, who suffered an injury before even playing a game for the Steelers after a trade.) Polamalu played in all 16 games last season and at times looked like his old, dominant self. Releasing him may leave too much of a void.

Chris Johnson, Titans: This marriage is on the verge of reaching its inevitable end. The Tennessean‘s Jim Wyatt wrote a couple weeks back that he’s fairly “certain” Johnson will be a free agent soon, what with the one-time 2,000-yard rusher saving the Titans $6 million of his $10 million cap hit if he’s cut. Johnson has gone over 1,000 yards in each of his six seasons, including 2013.

Still, the production has not measured up to the salary. And with a new coaching staff in place, Johnson’s days are likely numbered.

Champ Bailey, Broncos: Bailey, 35, said after failing in his quest to claim Super Bowl ring No. 1 that he was “not done playing football”. Will he get another shot at that first title with the Broncos?

Not if the situation stays as is. Right now, Bailey’s contract calls for him to earn $10 million in 2013 ($9 million base salary plus $1 million roster bonus). There is no chance Denver honors that deal with no dead-money penalty coming if Bailey is cut. The veteran DB will have to take a pay cut or sign a new contract after being released to remain with his current team.

DeMarcus Ware, Cowboys: A situation that is comparable to the Bears’ with Peppers, except that Ware has said he is not open to a pay cut and the Cowboys are in dire cap trouble for 2014. Dallas is on pace to be an estimated $25 million over the projected cap, with Ware commanding a $16 million hit. The Cowboys still would be on the hook for more than half of that — about $8.5 million — if they released Ware, but the $7 million-plus they could bring back to the 2014 cap might make it worthwhile.

Jerry Jones has a busy offseason ahead either way. He really needs Jason Witten, Tony Romo, Doug Free and others to agree to restructure their contracts to even have a prayer of getting under the cap.

Antrel Rolle, Giants: The Giants are in a stronger cap position for 2014 than the Cowboys, but they also likely have no interest in keeping Rolle’s $9.25 million hit on the books. A contract extension for the 31-year-old safety could solve that problem, but releasing him would free up $7.25 million — all of Rolle’s remaining deal save leftover bonus money.

Nate Burleson, Lions: A popular player in the Lions’ locker room and a productive one at a position of need, Burleson still has one foot out the door. That is not by his choice — he has said he wants to return for the 2014 season. The $5.5 million Detroit could save by freeing up Burleson’s roster space might be too valuable for a team with a brutal cap situation.

Will Smith, Saints: Smith missed all of 2013 with an injury, is a mismatch for Rob Ryan’s defense and carries a 2014 cap hit of nearly $14 million ($11.5 million of which New Orleans can save by cutting him). If Smith’s still on the roster come Week 1, someone fell asleep at the wheel.

Carlos Rogers, 49ers: The 32-year-old cornerback was rumored to be on the chopping block prior to the 2013 season, only to start every regular-season game. With upwards of $8 million due his way in 2014 — and $5.1 million available in savings with a release — Rogers probably has played his last game in San Francisco, at least under this current contract.

Kevin Kolb, Bills: EJ Manuel’s in place as the Buffalo starter, Kolb can’t stay healthy and he has a $1 million roster bonus due soon. This ought to be one of the easier calls of the offseason, and it would save the Bills $3.1 million on next year’s cap.

TAGS: 2014 NFL FREE AGENCY, CHRIS CLEMONS, JULIUS PEPPERS, JULIUS PEPPERS RUMORS, NFL, NFL CUTS, NFL FREE AGENCY, NFL FREE AGENCY RUMORS, NFL SALARY CAP CUTS, SAM BRADFORD, SAM BRADFORD RUMORS, SIDNEY RICE, TERRELL SUGGS.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/05/salary-cap-cuts-sam-bradford-julius-peppers/

The Rams would trade Bradford for a ransom or they wouldn't trade him at all.   He wouldn't be worth it if the Jets gave up a ton of picks for him.    All it would mean is Bradford was the QB and they still had no WR.

I agree, I wouldn't trade big time picks for BRADFORD, like I would to try to get either Bridgewater, or Manziel, BUT if the Rams made it clear that they are ready to move on from Bradford, I would certainly look into what they would need in return, just in case it makes sense for the Jets.

1 - Odell Becham

2 - Jarvis Landry

3 - David Nelson

4 - Stephen Hill

Slot - Jeremy Kerley

TE - CJ Fiedorowicz

QB - Geno Smith

Use first 3 picks on Beckam, Landry and CJ.

Not a chance this regime goes three offensive players with the first three picks. And having your first three receiving options be rookies is asking to get Geno crucified.

QB: Geno/Mark/Cassell/ Whichever Vet they bring in and wins the competition.

WR: Mike Evans

WR: Golden Tate

WR: Jeremy Kerley

WR: David Nelson

TE: Garrett Graham

I doubt Tate leaves Seattle for here. If he doesn't I'd take a look at Danario Alexander.

Doesn't matter the talent we bring in around Geno if he has another inconsistent, bottom of the league terrible season.

QB - Vick

WR - Maclin

WR - Lee

WR - Britt

WR - Kerley

Think we sign Vick and Maclin. Draft Lee along taking on a flyer on Britt who would have to take a hometown discount on the cheap and we would have to get the talented receiver head on straight. Would be a good redzone target as well.

#1. Geno Smith QB

#2. Jeremy Maclin #1WR

#3. Marqise Lee #2 WR

#4. Jeremy Kerley #3 WR SLOT

#5. David Nelson #4 WR

#6. Brandon Cooks #5 WR SLOT, KR, PR

#7.  C.J. Fiedorowicz TE

You think Cook will last into the second round at our selection? Most have him going in the 1st even McShay in his mock had him going to us. But if he were to then right off the bat he would be better then Kerley.

QB - Vick

WR - Maclin

WR - Lee

WR - Britt

WR - Kerley

Think we sign Vick and Maclin. Draft Lee along taking on a flyer on Britt who would have to take a hometown discount on the cheap and we would have to get the talented receiver head on straight. Would be a good redzone target as well.

Of course, I love this scenario. Kenny Britt is interesting. Dude is big and has talent, but a real head case. REX has shown to be pretty poor with head case WR's (Holmes), although, now that I think of it, he would probably make Britt a captain. Hmmm......

You think Cook will last into the second round at our selection? Most have him going in the 1st even McShay in his mock had him going to us. But if he were to then right off the bat he would be better then Kerley.

With this draft being so WR heavy, I could see Cooks and even Benjamin making it to the 2nd round.

Of course, I love this scenario. Kenny Britt is interesting. Dude is big and has talent, but a real head case. REX has shown to be pretty poor with head case WR's (Holmes), although, now that I think of it, he would probably make Britt a captain. Hmmm......

Britt is more of an head case off the field more so in the locker room/coach ability. Also should come fairly cheap. It he acts up then simply cut him.

With this draft being so WR heavy, I could see Cooks and even Benjamin making it to the 2nd round.

I agree it's possible but I think we can agree that Cook is way better then Kerley or at least better then being project as our number 5 WRs. I mean the best college WR in the nation has to be project better then that.

QB - Vick

WR - Maclin

WR - Lee

WR - Britt

WR - Kerley

That's awful. Vick is done as a starting QB that can play 16 games in this league.

Britt and Vick welcomes the circus back in town. That's not the Idzik way.

That's awful. Vick is done as a starting QB that can play 16 games in this league.

Britt and Vick welcomes the circus back in town. That's not the Idzik way.

If Vick gets hurt then place in Geno, right? If Britt acts up then he should be cut. Idzik brought in Winslow who was not only done as a football player but carried lots of baggage with his load mouth. As for ESPN (or the circus) they'll never leave. But Vick possibly becoming a Jet is no longer sudden and something very much expect at this point.

If Vick gets hurt then place in Geno, right? If Britt acts up then he should be cut. Idzik brought in Winslow who was not only done as a football player but carried lots of baggage with his load mouth. As for ESPN (or the circus) they'll never leave. But Vick possibly becoming a Jet is no longer sudden and something very much expect at this point.

I don't think Vick can beat out Geno, which is saying something. He's below average now and 34.

Archived