NFL Draft prospect announces he's gay: Michael Sam, OLB/DE Missouri

T0mShane

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"That will break a tie against that player," the former general manager said. "Every time. Unless he's Superman. Why? Not that they're against gay people. It's more that some players are going to look at you upside down. Every Tom, Dick and Harry in the media is going to show up, from Good Housekeeping to the Today show. A general manager is going to ask, 'Why are we going to do that to ourselves?'"

TEH HORDE!

He's not championing anything. He's making a sadly realistic prognosis.

Lol, no he's not...he's creating a witch hunt already. There's nothing realistic about the SEC player of the year not being drafted...especially with the players Mizzou has produced lately.

Sadly, in Deadspin's case, Sam getting drafted would be bad for business.

but this is ok....

Johnno - Fairy Rhodes played a mans game like a sissy, then when he had a chance to really do something positive -  he cowardly refused. I think he's a POS as a player and a person and I'll make whatever remarks I want to about him.

If some self righteous dildo want's to neg rep me for it - I'm more than fine with that. My comment was all about Rhodes and nothing about gay rights.

Anyone that knows me knows I'm very outspoken supporter of LGBT rights.

I think what this kid is doing is highly commendable and selfless. Hopefully it will be the start of a needed trend into the sport most looked at as "manly". 

Dude, there's already scouts saying they don't think he's a good player.

If he has even an ok but not great combine, he could easily slip out of the draft with all of them using the already stated excuse of a "distraction."

Scouts talk a lot. Prematurely putting together a torch mob is silly.

And distraction isn't an excuse, it's reality. He's going to bring a lot of cameras wherever he goes.

Scouts talk a lot. Prematurely putting together a torch mob is silly.

And distraction isn't an excuse, it's reality. He's going to bring a lot of cameras wherever he goes.

I just find it a bit curious that almost everyone openly commenting on this has been positive - including Richie Incognito; yet the majority of anonymous comments (most of which are from scouts and front office guys) are coming up with excuses to not draft the kid. 

I just find it a bit curious that almost everyone openly commenting on this has been positive - including Richie Incognito; yet the majority of anonymous comments (most of which are from scouts and front office guys) are coming up with excuses to not draft the kid.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't drafted. You guys were way off on the Incognito/Martin thing anyways. I'd ride with me this time.

Let's go find an anonymous source and fan the flames. Stop falling for it. Mel Kiper got every pick in the first round wrong last year...no one actually knows what these teams think

I'd be shocked if he wasn't drafted. You guys were way off on the Incognito/Martin thing anyways. I'd ride with me this time.

Let's go find an anonymous source and fan the flames. Stop falling for it. Mel Kiper got every pick in the first round wrong last year...no one actually knows what these teams think

I'm just going based on what they said. 

"If Stalin, Hitler and Mao could hit .340 I'd start them across the outfield."

Billy Martin  Which is not to equate being gay with being a murderous meglomaniac. Merely it's moving to a question of whether you can play than who he choses to sleep with.

If he can play he will get a shot. Not sure he's good enough s an LB and size wise he is not big enough to tangle with most tackles.May be he makes it on specials.  

How do you know this?

I've been reading draft stuff for two months and nobody at any point thought that Sam was ever going before the third day.

Is there a quote from an anonymous GM saying he won't be drafted?

“I don’t think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet,” said an NFL player personnel assistant. “In the coming decade or two, it’s going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it’s still a man’s-man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It’d chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room.”

“I just know with this going on this is going to drop him down,” said a veteran NFL scout. “There’s no question about it. It’s human nature. Do you want to be the team to quote-unquote ‘break that barrier?’”

"There are guys in locker rooms that maturity-wise cannot handle it or deal with the thought of that," the assistant coach said. "There's nothing more sensitive than the heartbeat of the locker room. If you knowingly bring someone in there with that sexual orientation, how are the other guys going to deal with it? It's going to be a big distraction. That's the reality. It shouldn't be, but it will be."

That will break a tie against that player," the former general manager said. "Every time. Unless he's Superman. Why? Not that they're against gay people. It's more that some players are going to look at you upside down. Every Tom, Dick and Harry in the media is going to show up, from Good Housekeeping to the Today show. A general manager is going to ask, 'Why are we going to do that to ourselves?'"

“I don’t think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet,” said an NFL player personnel assistant. “In the coming decade or two, it’s going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it’s still a man’s-man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It’d chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room.”

“I just know with this going on this is going to drop him down,” said a veteran NFL scout. “There’s no question about it. It’s human nature. Do you want to be the team to quote-unquote ‘break that barrier?’”

"There are guys in locker rooms that maturity-wise cannot handle it or deal with the thought of that," the assistant coach said. "There's nothing more sensitive than the heartbeat of the locker room. If you knowingly bring someone in there with that sexual orientation, how are the other guys going to deal with it? It's going to be a big distraction. That's the reality. It shouldn't be, but it will be."

That will break a tie against that player," the former general manager said. "Every time. Unless he's Superman. Why? Not that they're against gay people. It's more that some players are going to look at you upside down. Every Tom, Dick and Harry in the media is going to show up, from Good Housekeeping to the Today show. A general manager is going to ask, 'Why are we going to do that to ourselves?'"

Those arent the decision makers...they're just quotes. I'm sure you'll be able to find a scout or assistant who'd say the opposite. I bet the majority would.

Those arent the decision makers...they're just quotes. I'm sure you'll be able to find a scout or assistant who'd say the opposite. I bet the majority would.

That's fine and good but did you actually read Magary's column or just the headline and first graf?

Peter King quoted an NFL GM who said he doesn't think Sam is a good player. This was an hour after hearing the news. You don't think that will grow before draft day. 

The only way Sam is drafted IMO opinion is if he has a monster combine and pro day. 

Archived