Its not easy being green.

joewilly12

John Idzik's latest fumbling of free agents leads to more Gang Groans for NY Jets fans Idzik has not given Jets fans any hope that Gang Green can close the gap on the Patriots in 2014. The Giants, with not nearly the cap space, have already signed eight free agents, fixing their secondary, their return game and part of their offensive line. Comments (10) NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Monday, March 17, 2014, 11:50 PM

jets-rookies-football.jpg Bill Kostroun/AP  

Jets GM John Idzik (l.) refuses to endorse a Rex Ryan (r.) reunion with Darelle Revis.

John Idzik is known around the NFL for being a patient man, but his patience in free agency as he sits on a veritable fortune of salary cap space is now severely testing the patience of Jets Nation.

The Jets were pummeled with a gruesome 1-2 punch on Monday: Darrelle Revis officially was introduced as a member of the hated Patriots and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie signed with the hated Giants.

RELATED: 'GLACIAL' IDZIK IS TOASTED: JETS GM RIPPED FOR MISS ON CB

Sometimes, being a Jets fan is just a cruel assignment.

Free agency hits the one-week mark Tuesday at 4 p.m. Has anybody told Idzik it has started?

RELATED: RODGERS-CROMARTIE CHOOSES GIANTS OVER JETS

As the first phase of the market is just about all over – most of the big names have signed – Idzik has barely made a dent in the Jets’ primary needs with just two signings outside the building. The Broncos were so concerned about losing Eric Decker, despite 172 catches over the last two years, that they didn’t even offer him a contract, although he is an upgrade for the Jets, who had the worst receivers in the league last season.

Idzik, whose background is running the salary cap, has been too busy protecting Woody Johnson’s wallet. His plan must be to pick up some bargains as free agency enters phase two, but he had the money to make some quick strikes. Idzik has not given Jets fans any hope that Gang Green can close the gap on the Patriots in 2014. The Giants, with not nearly the cap space, have already signed eight free agents, fixing their secondary, their return game and part of their offensive line.

RELATED: TURNING THE CORNER: GIANTS, JETS BATTLE OVER RODGERS-CROMARTIE

Johnson and Idzik allowed ego to get in the way when they refused to endorse the Revis Reunion that Rex Ryan and Revis very much wanted and let him escape to New England for what is essentially a one-year $12 million deal with just a $7 million cap hit this year.

Then the Jets had DRC in the building over the weekend. He’s not Revis or Richard Sherman or even Aqib Talib, who replaced him in Denver, but he’s surely better than Kyle Wilson, a starter by default at the moment.

RELATED: ROGERS-CROMARTIE TO MEET WITH BIG BLUE

The cardinal rule in free agency: If you want a player, barricade all the doors until he signs. Idzik unlocked the gates and DRC went running to the Giants.

“You bring a guy in that you want, you don’t kick the tires. I’m not a kick-the- tires guy,” one NFL source said Monday. “When you bring a guy in, you tell yourself, ‘We’re bringing him in because we like him and we want to sign him.’ If you don’t like him, why bring him in?”

RELATED: HAGELIN'S HAT TRICK HELPS RANGERS FLY PAST JETS

The Jets have Dee Milliner and Wilson as the starting corners and the best news about that is it’s only March. Ryan loves Milliner, but if Wilson is still the starter in September, something went wrong. Ryan wanted DRC after not getting Revis, but once the former Bronco left Florham Park, he was not coming back. He went straight to East Rutherford — his itinerary was common knowledge – and the Giants signed him to a five-year, $35 million deal.

“Idzik is testing the patience of the agents,” one agent said. “He’s very deliberate and in free agency, it’s a game of musical chairs. There’s only so many seats and there’s only so many players. Idzik works at glacier speed. It’s good to be deliberate in certain instances, but when it comes to free agency, it’s dynamic, not static.”

Guess who is now the best cornerback left in free agency? That’s Antonio Cromartie, cut in a cap move by the Jets just 10 days ago. He’s still available and the Jets still need a corner after his second cousin signed with the Giants. Cro wants to come back, so maybe the Jets will now bring him back at their price, although after losing out on Alterraun Verner, Vontae Davis and DRC and showing no interest in Revis, the Jets may have surrendered valuable leverage. Once Idzik cleared out the bloated contracts of Santonio Holmes and Cromartie, he had ammunition to address some of the Jets’ biggest needs before continuing his methodical process of building through the draft.

Idzik went all-in on Decker with a five-year, $36.25 million deal that has $15 million in guaranteed money. The Jets hope Decker is not just a Peyton Manning creation because he will now try to put up No. 1-type numbers with Geno Smith as his quarterback. The Jets also had some interest in Green Bay wideout James Jones, but he signed Monday with Oakland. The Jets will survive without him. Idzik will try to find a true No. 1 receiver in the draft.

Idzik did sign Breno Giacomini to play right tackle – he was with him in Seattle — to replace Austin Howard, who signed with the Raiders. That’s an even exchange. Idzik’s other moves were re-signing his own players, including Jeff Cumberland, Calvin Pace and Nick Folk.

So, while the Patriots fixed their secondary by signing Revis and Brandon Browner and the Dolphins fixed their offensive line with tackle Brandon Albert and guard Shelley Smith, Idzik is sitting on Johnson’s wallet.

As Kermit The Frog says, “It’s not easy being green.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-gang-groans-fumble-article-1.1725052#ixzz2wK0HFYHh

Idzik could have had Cromartie cheaper a week ago instead of going through the charade of offering his cousin a one year prove it contract. Am I supposed to understand that this is just another piece of brilliance on his part? Okay, that was brilliant. Please don't attack me. He's great, really. I can't wait til the draft because you know, he's an awesome drafter. Especially with picks after number 13 overall. What a track record. 

Idzik could have had Cromartie cheaper a week ago instead of going through the charade of offering his cousin a one year prove it contract. Am I supposed to understand that this is just another piece of brilliance on his part? Okay, that was brilliant. Please don't attack me. He's great, really. I can't wait til the draft because you know, he's an awesome drafter. Especially with picks after number 13 overall. What a track record. 

It takes a couple seasons for draft picks to really show themselves what they're worth. Sheldon Richardson was a great pick and Geno was the 2nd best value pick outside of Honey badger which I wish we could have gotten. Not every rookie will be Sheldon Richardson come week 1 in the rookie year. I do like that he's retained every rookie in that class and he's going the development route. Love the draft or hate it, one thing you can say regarding Idzik, we're going to know if these guys can play football. 

It takes a couple seasons for draft picks to really show themselves what they're worth. Sheldon Richardson was a great pick and Geno was the 2nd best value pick outside of Honey badger which I wish we could have gotten. Not every rookie will be Sheldon Richardson come week 1 in the rookie year. I do like that he's retained every rookie in that class and he's going the development route. Love the draft or hate it, one thing you can say regarding Idzik, we're going to know if these guys can play football. 

Well that's the whole thing, I think it takes a tremendous amount of hubris on Idzik's part to think he can almost exclusively build his team through the draft and a tremendous amount of faith on the fan's part. There is very little evidence to support the idea that he is capable of that. Or am I to believe that there is some magical free agent out there that Idzik will deem worth exactly the dollar amount and cap space we spend on them, let alone enough of these magical free agents to make you financially competitive.

Everyone points to the Seattle model and the Broncos. They, along with the Chiefs had the three highest cap numbers last year. Seattle did it despite spending 600,000 each on a Pro Bowl level QB, an all world CB and their number one receiver. 

The thing that worries me is that you have a definite need at CB in a defense that relies on them, 40 mil in cap space (after Sanchez goes), 4 of the top 6 or 7 players at that position available and you come away with nothing. Am I irrational to be at least a little troubled by that? If this isn't the time to spend then when is? When does that happen? The truth is that nobody knows. 

Well that's the whole thing, I think it takes a tremendous amount of hubris on Idzik's part to think he can almost exclusively build his team through the draft and a tremendous amount of faith on the fan's part. There is very little evidence to support that idea. Or am I to believe that there is some magical free agent out there that Idzik will deem worth exactly the dollar amount and cap space we spend on them, let alone enough of these magical free agents to make you financially competitive.

Everyone points to the Seattle model and the Broncos. They, along with the Chiefs had the three highest cap numbers last year. Seattle did it despite spending 600,000 each on a Pro Bowl level QB, an all world CB and their number one receiver. 

The thing that worries me is that you have a definite need at CB in a defense that relies on them, 40 mil in cap space (after Sanchez goes), 4 of the top 6 or 7 players at that position available and you come away with nothing. Am I irrational to be at least a little troubled by that? If this isn't the time to spend then when is? When does that happen? The truth is that nobody knows. 

This is where Jon comes from. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000318407/article/how-the-seattle-seahawks-were-built

I've spent much of the FA period bashing Idzik, but this is ridiculous:

Some player reps felt like the Jets had questionable practices when the league’s three-day negotiating window opened 10 days ago. “There was interest… but at what level?” said one agent, who spoke to the Jets brass during free agency. “It wasn’t the level that they had led on.”

This is where I stopped reading. Why did Idzik sign Eric Decker then?

Almost is a word in that sentence.

The truth is none of us have any idea what goes on in Idzik's brain either for or against. Maybe you should have read the rest and tried to respond to that. You'd have a bit of context then to work with.

Almost is a word in that sentence.

The truth is none of us have any idea what goes on in Idzik's brain either for or against. Maybe you should have read the rest and tried to respond to that.

I don't think we have a "definite need" at CB and I think the nonsense about Rex allegedly being furious about not signing DMC is completely overblown or just plain made up. 

We have 7 CBs on the roster currently. Two of them were 1st round picks. One is among the best nickel/slot CBs in the league and the other is a 2nd year guy who finished the season being named Defensive Rookie of the Month. Not to mention that Rex once beat Peyton Manning in the playoffs with Drew Coleman taking a significant number of snaps. We have one of the best D-lines in the league with our best natural pass rusher coming back from injury, which will take a ton of pressure off the secondary.

Plus, DMC is one of the most inconsistent CBs in the NFL. Guy's got all the talent in the world but seems to lack motivation. Idzik wanted to sign him to a contract which would prevent complacency which was smart but the Giants just ponied up and paid him which tells me that he was leaning toward the Jets but took the easy money route because he doesn't feel the need to prove himself. If my analysis is correct, not signing DMC could wind up being one of the smartest moves of Idzik's young GM career. The guy got his $15 million guaranteed so now he can coast for a couple of years. 

I don't think we have a "definite need" at CB and I think the nonsense about Rex allegedly being furious about not signing DMC is completely overblown or just plain made up. 

We have 7 CBs on the roster currently. Two of them were 1st round picks. One is among the best nickel/slot CBs in the league and the other is a 2nd year guy who finished the season being named Defensive Rookie of the Month. Not to mention that Rex once beat Peyton Manning in the playoffs with Drew Coleman taking a significant number of snaps. We have one of the best D-lines in the league with our best natural pass rusher coming back from injury, which will take a ton of pressure off the secondary.

Plus, DMC is one of the most inconsistent CBs in the NFL. Guy's got all the talent in the world but seems to lack motivation. Idzik wanted to sign him to a contract which would prevent complacency which was smart but the Giants just ponied up and paid him which tells me that he was leaning toward the Jets but took the easy money route because he doesn't feel the need to prove himself. If my analysis is correct, not signing DMC could wind up being one of the smartest moves of Idzik's young GM career. The guy got his $15 million guaranteed so now he can coast for a couple of years. 

Fair enough. I hope you're right. 

Just looked for Idzik in the article, no mention of the cap guy and his scouting acumen. 

You would say such a thing. Now I will say this. If there's anyone, and I mean ANYONE who doesnt like this guy, there are 31 other teams to root for if you like. I hear that the Patriots are getting some new fans just because of Revis. I hear Jet fans are now Giant fans because of a CB that no one gave a sh_t about until Revis, Verner and Talib was off the board. 

You dont know Idzik's background? You're about to find out come May. I dont even count last year because he didnt have his scouts on board etc. This year is the year that you can get an idea. You dont have to be around for it though. Seattle has widened their bandwagon. The Raiders?.....yeah, they've been "whore-like" when it came to free agency this year. How about Denver? They're all back-page winners in march. I remember the Jets used to be back-page winners. Thats what we've always thrived for, being the back-page winners in march and snoopy bowl winners in august. 

Idzik doesnt seem interested and im rolling with him. So if you got a problem with Idzik you got a problem with me! 

Idzik is on the clock just like with Rex- no one is giving either a pass- but we have to see a couple of drafts and formation of the team to give us a real sense are we  improving to contend or not.Especially If the QB situation is still unsettled after this year- Idzik has to take the blame- 

You would say such a thing. Now I will say this. If there's anyone, and I mean ANYONE who doesnt like this guy, there are 31 other teams to root for if you like. I hear that the Patriots are getting some new fans just because of Revis. I hear Jet fans are now Giant fans because of a CB that no one gave a sh_t about until Revis, Verner and Talib was off the board. 

You dont know Idzik's background? You're about to find out come May. I dont even count last year because he didnt have his scouts on board etc. This year is the year that you can get an idea. You dont have to be around for it though. Seattle has widened their bandwagon. The Raiders?.....yeah, they've been "whore-like" when it came to free agency this year. How about Denver? They're all back-page winners in march. I remember the Jets used to be back-page winners. Thats what we've always thrived for, being the back-page winners in march and snoopy bowl winners in august. 

Idzik doesnt seem interested and im rolling with him. So if you got a problem with Idzik you got a problem with me! 

So the choice is absolutely love Idzik and every thing he does or root for someone else. That's the choice, right?

If it is, then:

I loved the Ivory trade.

I love the Richardson pick.

Milliner looks to have turned a corner

I loved getting Goodson. I'm sad he got hurt.

I loved the Decker signing.

I am not sad about trading Howard for Giacomini via free agency

I don't have a clue whether Geno will be any good

I don't have a clue whether Winters will be good

I'm kind of on the fence about Aboushi as well

Who the hell is William Campbell at this moment in history?

Do I get to stay or go? I'll wait for your judgement.

what you failed to mention about rex and drew coleman is that rex had revis on the other side. I think that makes a small difference,no?

brutal & viscous

So the choice is absolutely love Idzik and every thing he does or root for someone else. That's the choice, right?

If it is, then:

I loved the Ivory trade.

I love the Richardson pick.

Milliner looks to have turned a corner

I loved getting Goodson. I'm sad he got hurt.

I loved the Decker signing.

I am not sad about trading Howard for Giacomini via free agency

I don't have a clue whether Geno will be any good

I don't have a clue whether Winters will be good

I'm kind of on the fence about Aboushi as well

Who the hell is William Campbell at this moment in history?

Do I get to stay or go? I'll wait for your judgement.

Well, given that you arent able to make a decision for yourself I'll make it for you. 

You should stay. Why? Because you dont know weather Geno, Winters, Aboushi or Campbell are any good or not. The difference is we cant say for certain that they're terrible. Thats a plus for Idzik. As I said earlier, not every rookie is going to have a Sheldon Richardson start. However, in their 2nd year they'll be expected to make an impact while the current rookies learn. 

Give the man a minute to establish his approach. 

what you failed to mention about rex and drew coleman is that rex had revis on the other side. I think that makes a small difference,no?

On that side it did. But its not like Drew Coleman spent the day getting burned all over the place. 

You guys are acting like we aren't even going to have a 2nd starting CB. Like we'll constantly be playing with 10 guys on defense. 

On that side it did. But its not like Drew Coleman spent the day getting burned all over the place. 

You guys are acting like we aren't even going to have a 2nd starting CB. Like we'll constantly be playing with 10 guys on defense. 

just for the record, I never wanted DRC at all. but It doesn't really matter what I want, its what idzik wants. and as far as I can tell, idzik wanted an upgrade at cb. he just couldn't pull it off for one reason or another. this is what concerns me

just for the record, I never wanted DRC at all. but It doesn't really matter what I want, its what idzik wants. and as far as I can tell, idzik wanted an upgrade at cb. he just couldn't pull it off for one reason or another. this is what concerns me

Agree did not want DRC either and agree on the fact that it wasn't like there was 1 CB available and all 32 teams were trying to sign him.

Agree did not want DRC either and agree on the fact that it wasn't like there was 1 CB available and all 32 teams were trying to sign him.

The guy Idzik wanted was Vontae Davis, and unfortunately Davis wanted to stay in Indy.  Pretty simple.  I don't see why Idzik should get killed over that.

Archived