Report: Jets privately apologize for negotiating tactics (by guess who?)

Lizard King

Forget even taking a side for a moment, when you break it down, this article is about and vague and undefined as possible.  What is it that is exactly being said here?  The Jets spoke to a FA, but wasn't willing to offer him and his agent as much as they wanted, so they signed elsewhere.  Ok... and?  While there seems to be plenty of guesses in this thread as to what type of FA it may have been (Jets' or other teams'), who specifically it involved, or what the overall issue actually was, none of this even comes close to being explained in the article.  Not to mention most of the quotes in article are quotes of freakin' Mehta himself.  Never mind defending or criticizing Idzik about it, what the hell is any of this supposed to mean?

It means that Mehta and the rest of the media like the whole Jets "Circus" theme and they are going to fight like hell to continue it despite all evidence to the contrary. 

Forget even taking a side for a moment, when you break it down, this article is about and vague and undefined as possible.  What is it that is exactly being said here?  The Jets spoke to a FA, but wasn't willing to offer him and his agent as much as they wanted, so they signed elsewhere.  Ok... and?  While there seems to be plenty of guesses in this thread as to what type of FA it may have been (Jets' or other teams'), who specifically it involved, or what the overall issue actually was, none of this even comes close to being explained in the article.  Not to mention most of the quotes in article are quotes of freakin' Mehta himself.  Never mind defending or criticizing Idzik about it, what the hell is any of this supposed to mean?

Let's play devils advocate for a second. So DRC's agent calls over and says "Hey, if you still need a cornerback, DRC would love to talk to you."

Idzik "We are interested, how much are you looking for?"

Agent "We would like to see $8 million per, 3+ years and $15 guaranteed."

Idzik: "Ok we can see that being a possibility. Come over tomorrow."

DRC Arrives.

Idzik "Well, after our research and your physical, we would like to offer you a 1 year deal for $6 million."

**Crickets**

Can you by chance see why this would piss someone off?

wait, so in the 3-day window, you are not even supposed to talk about contract, just show interest. How were the Jets misleading then? And which NFL GM starts a contract talk from the top and work it down? Its always the other way around. u start from the bottom and then go up. Manish Mehta is a used p*ssy that every Jets fan would love to piss on and not hand him any toilet paper. Hope he gets aids.

Let's play devils advocate for a second. So DRC's agent calls over and says "Hey, if you still need a cornerback, DRC would love to talk to you."

DRC Arrives.

Idzik "Well, after our research and your physical, we would like to offer you a 1 year deal for $6 million."

**Crickets**

Wait, u actually agree in this BS post u posted? If what u said was true, you would never see another agent meeting with a 2nd team. They'd get a deal done with the first team they visit. U do know what "contract negotiations" are right?

wait, so in the 3-day window, you are not even supposed to talk about contract, just show interest. How were the Jets misleading then? And which NFL GM starts a contract talk from the top and work it down? Its always the other way around. u start from the bottom and then go up. Manish Mehta is a used p*ssy that every Jets fan would love to piss on and not hand him any toilet paper. Hope he gets aids.

Whoa! Too much, man. 

Whoa! Too much, man. 

I just hate the guy more than I hate Brady. Atleast Brady has passion towards his own team. This guy has no loyalty. He sh*ts on the same team he covers for a living. I hope he sh*ts in his own cereal bowl and eat it...literally!

Wait, u actually agree in this BS post u posted? If what u said was true, you would never see another agent meeting with a 2nd team. They'd get a deal done with the first team they visit. U do know what "contract negotiations" are right?

Pound salt.

The Jets offered $6 million for one year, the Giants offered $39 million over 5, with $15 mil guaranteed.

That's a minimum of $9 million apart.

Have you ever negotiated anything? You present parameters up front.

DRC Arrives.

**Crickets**

But that's part of the point, while I get what you're saying with your "devil's advocate" situation, there is actually nothing in this article that suggests that was the case.  Like I said before, it's beyond vague, with nothing of substance really provided.  Everything beyond that insignificant bit of information, even if we assume it to be true, is pure guesswork.

Someone who wants to argue in Idzik's favor could just as easily conclude that the Jets never once made an offer of any kind and it was the agents blindly guessing they were willing to offer as much as they wanted, then being pissed when the team's offer came nowhere close to their desires.  I'm not arguing in either direction at this point, because the bottom line is that this article, and the so-called details it is referencing, really says next to nothing.

The only conclusions anyone can reach from this nonsense, in either direction, are the ones they had already previously reached and are desperate to justify.

Pound salt.

The Jets offered $6 million for one year, the Giants offered $39 million over 5, with $15 mil guaranteed.

That's a minimum of $9 million apart.

Have you ever negotiated anything? You present parameters up front.

Lets see a timeline, maybe? Jets offered 6mil for a yr. DRC didn't accept it. Giants called in. He went there n got basically $8mil per for 5 years. What is wrong with that? Jets placed a price tag of $6mil for DRC. Its how they evaluated him. Giants had to overpay to get him to play for them.

This is a normal negotiation. If anything, DRCs agent probably said thanks for setting up a base for them to negotiate with Giants.

What do u define a parameter in NFL negotiations? Teams agreeing on a figure first and then meeting?

Agents tell teams "we are seeking a contract within x to y range depending on Z or gaurantee. Can you accommodate such contract?"

GMs then says, "yes we are very interested, but would like to meet and pick the players brain n see what his interest is like, and how he views various variables of being a part of the team". U know what one of those variable was for Idzik? DRC's retirement talks. You will probably worship Idzik if DRC retires in 2015-16. Please don't teach me contract negotiations. I do that for a living and pretty good at it.

But that's part of the point, while I get what you're saying with your "devil's advocate" situation, there is actually nothing in this article that suggests that was the case.  Like I said before, it's beyond vague, with nothing of substance really provided.  Everything beyond that insignificant bit of information, even if we assume it to be true, is pure guesswork.

Someone who wants to argue in Idzik's favor could just as easily conclude that the Jets never once made an offer of any kind and it was the agents blindly guessing they were willing to offer as much as they wanted, then being pissed when the team's offer came nowhere close to their desires.  I'm not arguing in either direction at this point, because the bottom line is that this article, and the so-called details it is referencing, really says next to nothing.

The only conclusions anyone can reach from this nonsense, in either direction, are the ones they had already previously reached and are desperate to justify.

You're totally right. After I posted it, I realized I should have said that this one just one scenario. 

Lets see a timeline, maybe? Jets offered 6mil for a yr. DRC didn't accept it. Giants called in. He went there n got basically $8mil per for 5 years. What is wrong with that? Jets placed a price tag of $6mil for DRC. Its how they evaluated him. Giants had to overpay to get him to play for them.

This is a normal negotiation. If anything, DRCs agent probably said thanks for setting up a base for them to negotiate with Giants.

What do u define a parameter in NFL negotiations? Teams agreeing on a figure first and then meeting?

Agents tell teams "we are seeking a contract within x to y range depending on Z or gaurantee. Can you accommodate such contract?"

GMs then says, "yes we are very interested, but would like to meet and pick the players brain n see what his interest is like, and how he views various variables of being a part of the team". U know what one of those variable was for Idzik? DRC's retirement talks. You will probably worship Idzik if DRC retires in 2015-16. Please don't teach me contract negotiations. I do that for a living and pretty good at it.

Thanks for the negotiation lesson dickhead. I guess I know who to call next time I want to save 15% on my car insurance.

Thanks for the negotiation lesson dickhead. I guess I know who to call next time I want to save 15% on my car insurance.

How many times do we have ask people to cut this sh*t out.

This is the last warning.

I just cannot picture Idzik gushing over anybody.  Maybe they mean he did NOT genuflect on the phone when he called?

Seriously. I don't give a **** who started it.

Enough with the name calling.

Yeah I get that. But when I'm just having normal discourse and then someone swings by and takes a shot its messed up. Compare how BG and j4jets went about it and tell me u don't see why I'd get pissed off. I'm one of the calmest posters in FA I done no bitching whatsoever

Yeah I get that. But when I'm just having normal discourse and then someone swings by and takes a shot its messed up. Compare how BG and j4jets went about it and tell me u don't see why I'd get pissed off. I'm one of the calmest posters in FA I done no bitching whatsoever

got a little taste of your own medicine, I see. doesn't taste good, does it

Archived