Klecko: Coples looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane (merged)

JOJOTOWNSELL

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truth is.

Rex called out coples and he answered. Hes been very good at that. Klecko & coples are completely different players but i think klecko statement will light the fire under coples for this year.

I doubt Quinton Coples is losing any sleep over Joe Klecko's opinion.

No one is saying to cut the cord on him. He just isn't a great player and if your first round DE isn't a great player, it was a bad pick.

Having Wilkerson and Richardson hides him a lot too.  It's fair to say he's a disappointment, but not fair to say he's a bust....yet.  Not that anyone is really suggesting that just yet.

It's hard to say which of two things happened with Coples. Either we realized he failed at the transition from tackle to end in college and planned on keeping him inside until Richardson came along, in which case that's fine but it's time to move on, or the plan was always to keep trying him on the outside, which was always stupid and three years in is still not close to producing a result. Either way it's probably best to cut the cord provided Richardson's pass rush progresses as expected.

No one is saying to cut the cord on him. He just isn't a great player and if your first round DE isn't a great player, it was a bad pick.

Someone is saying it...

I prefer to see him have a full healthy season in 2014 before I say he was a bad pick.  Kid has shown flashes of pure dominance.  I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt learning a new position on a broken ankle last year.  I expect a big season from him, he's got the goods.  He's just thinking too much. 

Having Wilkerson and Richardson hides him a lot too.  It's fair to say he's a disappointment, but not fair to say he's a bust....yet.  Not that anyone is really suggesting that just yet.

Oh yeah, the fact that they hit on those 2 really are giving them a pass for that pick (which was a head scratcher even when they made it)

Oh yeah, the fact that they hit on those 2 really are giving them a pass for that pick (which was a head scratcher even when they made it)

It wouldn't have been a head scratcher had we taken him a year earlier.  He was a consensus top 5-10 pick after his Junior campaign.  Then UNC went on probation and lost their HC and, surprisingly, he didn't have as great of a Senior year.  Who would have thought!  So between that and the Bruce Irvin situation, the pick looked like a sloppy one.

It wouldn't have been a head scratcher had we taken him a year earlier.  He was a consensus top 5-10 pick after his Junior campaign.  Then UNC went on probation and lost their HC and, surprisingly, he didn't have as great of a Senior year.  Who would have thought!  So between that and the Bruce Irvin situation, the pick looked like a sloppy one.

Yea, that was my point. 

He's a pretty good consolation prize after missing out on Bruce Irvin.  Not a bust, but getting punked on that and watching Irvin go win a Super Bowl certainly hurt.

Pretty sure I never bought into that nonsense.

Pretty sure I never bought into that nonsense.

Why not?  If you can't get the guy you want, and trading down isn't an option, you at least want to come out with a non-bust # 2 on your board, right?  Or are you denying that the Jets wanted Irvin in that spot?  Multiple sources reported this so I don't see how it can be denied.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/18992390/report-seahawks-bruce-irvin-pick-blew-up-jetssteelers-draftday-trade

According to Jason LaCanfora of the NFL Network, the Steelers and the Jets had "a draft deal essentially done for [the Jets] to drop back." The idea was that the Steelers would leapfrog the Bengals and grab David DeCastro, the man they desperately wanted for the interior of their line.

The Jets, on the other hand, were willing to fall back because, according to LaCanfora, they were cool getting either Quinton Coples or ... Bruce Irvin. But when Seattle decided to pull the trigger on Irvin at 15 -- a move they were lambasted for -- the Jets apparently bailed out on the deal and simply took Coples.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828c1cdc/article/jets-cursed-out-seahawks-for-drafting-bruce-irvin

After they took Irvin 15th overall, the Seahawks received a call from New York Jets headquarters. The Jets "good-naturedly" cursed at the Seahawks for taking the guy they planned to draft one pick later, according Len Pasquarelli of the SportsXchange. Irvin also was believed to be on the short list of candidates to be drafted in Chicago, Green Bay and San Francisco. One general manager called Irvin the "hottest player in the draft."

Why not?  If you can't get the guy you want, and trading down isn't an option, you at least want to come out with a non-bust # 2 on your board, right?  Or are you denying that the Jets wanted Irvin in that spot?  Multiple sources reported this so I don't see how it can be denied.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/18992390/report-seahawks-bruce-irvin-pick-blew-up-jetssteelers-draftday-trade

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828c1cdc/article/jets-cursed-out-seahawks-for-drafting-bruce-irvin

Yeah, by the source your provided, they wanted one of Coples or Irvin. With both of them on the board, they would've traded down and been happy with either one. Once one was gone, they stood pat and took the other. If they absolutely wanted Irvin over Coples, they wouldn't've been in talks to move down in the first place. In fact, if they saw Coples as such a drop off from Irvin, they probably would've pulled the trigger on trading down, anyway.

Just never bought into the idea that Coples was the "consolation prize." Still don't.

This is a put up or shut up year for Coples, and as long as he stays healthy, I feel pretty good about him putting up. He came on late in the season as a rookie, and again in his second year (and first in a new position). This is the year he should come out of the gates strong.

Archived