Who Will Be This Year's Whipping Boy?

F.Chowds

Was it also a figure of speech when you said Rex was completely incapable of ever having even an average offense? Because despite the monumental handicap of having Mark Sanchez + zero other options at QB, that was also something that has been accomplished.  Statistically it was probably his least-awful year, but he was still terrible and benefitted from a lot of ineptitude on the part of defenses he faced (dropped picks).

Don't be silly, 11th in total offense and 13th in points is clearly below average.  You know, just as long as you make the assumption that "average" is simply a figure of speech that means something entirely different than average.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be silly, 11th in total offense and 13th in points is clearly below average. You know, just as long as you make the assumption that "average" is simply a figure of speech that means something entirely different than average.

We're number eleven! We're number eleven!

Ok but not now, but one time we WERE number eleven! We were number eleven!

And thirteenth in the other thing! And thirteenth in the other thing!

Also this is all meant to be read in a Monty Python accent.

No one is suggesting this is the measuring stick right next to the 2013 Broncos. Rather it is pretty good considering our QB and on a run-first team our lead RBs career was deemed over from his last season in SD.  Or do you think it was Maestro John Fox orchestrating Denver's elite offense this past season?

There are plenty of coaches who WERE thought to be top offensive minds, who suddenly became stupid when they didn't get great (or even good) QB play matched with above-average receivers.  

Billick is the most obvious one that comes to mind.

Skeletor Shanahan right there with him. Brilliant offensive mind with Elway/Griese/Plummer with elite (if not HOF) targets. Not to mention cut blocking.  Most recently with Washington, though, he couldn't reach that illustrious #13 level in points scored when he had Campbell, McNabb, and Grossman. Best he could muster was #25 in 3 years.  Then RGIII is the QB and the offense scores the 4th-most points. 

Same with Parcells the measuring stick.  Look at him with Dallas. Comfortably a bottom-half scoring team when his QBs were Quincy Carter and Testaverde.  Picks up Bledsoe and they finally reach mediocrity (#15). Only switching to Romo PLUS the addition of T.O. (the latter against his will) made them a top 10 offense.

It's like that for virtually every coach. When it's Ryan, the expectation is a top-notch offense with a horrid QB every year (and no other options) plus below-average WRs for at least half his tenure. And these wholly unrealistic expectations come from the very fans who know the Jets' offensive talent the best. 

I don't think he's nearly the offensive mind that either Shanahan or Billick are/were, or even Parcells, but when their on-field options were on the Rex-years Jets level, they didn't typically do worlds better. 

Ok but not now, but one time we WERE number eleven! We were number eleven!

And thirteenth in the other thing! And thirteenth in the other thing!

Also this is all meant to be read in a Monty Python accent.

The bold is what really makes it all come together.

Although I think you'd know as well as anyone that there's quite a difference between being proud of an "accomplishment" (I mean the 2010 offense?  yeah, ok) and simply enjoying showing someone that they are absolutely wrong.  Trust me, I really have no interest in defending Rex's offensive prowess (or that of anyone on the Jets for the past decade and a half for that matter).

The best thing that happened to Rex's offense= was hiring Marty-put some in place that knows how to run offense schemes.

Agreed 100%.  

While Schottenheimer was inherited, and I got a real sense that he and Tannenbaum became good friends. Mangini as well, except Woody intervened.

Rex then picked his own man, Sparano, and got it very wrong (putting it mildly).  At least the mistake was cut loose after just 1 season (the opposite behavior of the criticism), and hired MM.

I like to think Sparano was a real learning experience for him in terms of how to move the football forward today, so maybe something came of that hire. So while ideally it would have been better to hire someone competent from the get go, it's better to hit on his 2nd shot than his 4th (the # of chances Woody may have given him, in time).

Every year there is one player who comes to symbolize the fans' frustration with a team. This isn't just with the Jets. Almost every fan base picks out a whipping boy, the guy who can do no right. The treatment isn't necessarily completely unfair. In most cases the player is simply not performing at an adequate level.

Last year it seemed like Clyde Gates took the title. He won it in a Week 2 contest in New England where he failed to make several relatively routine plays, any of which might have swung the result of the game. Even ending up on IR did not stop Jets fans from expressing their frustration with his play.

Who will that be this year? I'll guess Stephen Hill, the former second round pick who has accomplished little in the NFL. He has overwhelming athletic ability in a general sense, but the things he does well do not necessarily translate to a football field. He will have a chance to keep his starting job due to the Jets not targeting receiving talent in free agency outside of Eric Decker or on the first two days of the Draft. Unfortunately Hill has made almost no progress as a player. He is essentially the same receiver he was when the Jets drafted him. Even if he loses out on the competition to start, I imagine fans will continue to bring up his failure to develop at points where the offense struggles.

Who do you think the whipping boy will be?

This just won Post of the Week.  As declared by Courtney Aurillo on JetNation Radio!

Archived