How Eric Decker is Influencing The Locker Room

How Eric Decker is already influencing the Jets' receivers The Jets added Eric Decker in free agency because, well, their leading receiver a year ago caught just one more pass than their new running back did with his previous team. The thinking was that even if Decker's high productivity with the Broncos resulted from some kind of Peyton Manning Effect—and it most certainly did—Decker still figured to represent an improvement well-worth $15 million in guaranteed money.

The full impact of Decker's arrival remains to be seen—as is true for everything about the 2014 Jets, considering it's still June and all—but the credibility he brought with him from from Denver already counts for something in the wide receivers' meeting room.

Don't just take it from me. Take it from Sanjay Lal, the Jets' wide receivers coach.

"In fact, I was showing one of the younger guys a clip, saying, 'You should run the route like this,'" Lal said. "He didn't quite realize who it was. And he said, 'Oh, that's Decker?' We joked about it. I said, 'Now you're going to run it like that? Because you saw Decker do it?' He was, like, 'Yep.' It was like, 'OK.'"

Then there's Decker's attitude and approach. Basically, Lal said, he works well with others.

"If he's a good guy and a genuine guy, it's invaluable," Lal said. "If he's echoing what we're coaching and he's on the same page, it's great, because it always means more coming from from a player than a coach.

"And he has so far. It's a great tool to have, and then on top of that, he's a productive player."

Stephen Hill, now in his third season after two disappointing years, was one young wideout in particular who looked forward to working with Decker.

"He's a big guy, and he can show me a lot of things I can put into my repertoire," Hillsaid last month during the Jets' first week of organized team activities.

The Jets' offense in 2013, with then-rookie Geno Smith under center for all 16 games, often resembled one of those old-timey comedians trying to juggle a chainsaw, an apple, and an uncooked egg. For every time the comedian bit the apple, fans were were bracing for him to bite into the egg. And no matter what happened, Santonio Holmes would only shrug.

But Smith is a year older. Holmes is gone. Decker is here. And even if Decker isn't going to catch 86 passes, as he averaged during his two seasons with Manning throwing him the ball, he can't do any worse than the team-high 43 receptions Jeremy Kerley had last season. Heck, Chris Johnson had 42 catches out of the backfield while playing for the Titans. Oh, and he's here, too.

Is anyone surprised to see this year's receiving corps already being viewed as one that's"rising from the ashes"? (Not that there was any other direction for it to go, but still.)

Keep in mind: Decker's catch rate last year on deep balls (passes thrown 20 yards or more) was 60.0, per Pro Football Focus. And his catch rate in the slot was 80.0. Both stats ranked first in the league.

According to Lal, Decker's presence mattered in other ways during the recently completed OTAs and minicamp.

"I’ll see him nodding his head," Lal said. "It just gives credence to what’s being coached.

"Now, he’s also learning the offense, like everyone else. But for him, it’s more of a translation because he’s seen the coverage that we’ve talked about, he’s run that route; it just hasn’t been called what we call it, or some nuance of the route is a little different. But he has an overall base of knowledge."

This is a good read, he touches upon this theme and it is scary to think about but the WR position (passing game in general) actually can't get any worse than it was.  Seriously, if they signed Decker, brought in Chris Johnson, brought back Kerley and cut every WR on the roster and replaced them with undrafted free agents, the passing game would still be better.

But now you have some draft picks in the mix and Amaro.

Not sure who is going to step up, and I know Decker's numbers will drop here but at least the worst is over.  :)

This is a good read, he touches upon this theme and it is scary to think about but the WR position (passing game in general) actually can't get any worse than it was. Seriously, if they signed Decker, brought in Chris Johnson, brought back Kerley and cut every WR on the roster and replaced them with undrafted free agents, the passing game would still be better.

But now you have some draft picks in the mix and Amaro.

Not sure who is going to step up, and I know Decker's numbers will drop here but at least the worst is over. :)

Between Decker, Nelson, Kerley, Hill, Cumberland, Amaro, Johnson, Powell and if one or two of Saunders, Evans, Enuwa or Ford can be the kick retuner/WR...Geno should have plenty of weapons.

Consistency alone should help but I think there is some talent on that list. It's crazy to say but I really could see breakout type years from guys like Nelson, Kerley, Hill or Cumberland. It's all on Geno though.

Archived