Ian Rapoport- Rex safer than Idzik to keep job?

Matt39

Yeah, Rex should be given his 3rd QB to NOT develop, and more time, exactly what we need. This happens, I am so done with this ridiculous franchise.

How are you supposed to develop a Geno? Run practices and tell him to imagine he's throwing to real WR?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idzik blew the draft 12 players that could have changed this organization around this year instead we are 1-4 and the laughing stock of the NFL once again........

Before the draft you were all like "draft picks don't mean anything because they are 'not proven nfl players'", to all like "those 12 draft picks could have changed this whole organization." 

A few things:

1. There are no more of those guys that you'd want to give complete control to. Harbaugh is a psychopath, Gruden would draft 40 different QBs from D-III, and I don't want to give Cowher 12 years to win a title. Look at how badly Belichick butchers that Pats roster year in and year out. You need a GM and you need a coach. What the Jets need is a capable guy that outranks both of them to insure that there's a clearly defined organizational philosophy.

2. Rex sucks and has produced the same results with every draft class he's been handed, so it's hard to speculate how bad a GM is when the player development is obviously crap.

3. You have to give Idzik a shot with *his* coach.

God forbid we should have to wait *gasp* 12 years for a championship. 

Get a GM with half a brain who can manage to get Rex a QB. Rex should stay instead of Idzik.

Yeah, let's give Rex not only his 3rd QB to ruin, but also his 3rd GM! Never mind the fact that the same problem will exist as when we hired Idzik to begin with, namely that no top shelf candidate will take the job with Rex attached…and if the new GM on the job for 2 years is fried AND REX STAYS?!? You think we have a bottom of the barrel GM now with Idzik, just wait and see what candidates are willing to take the job if something like that happens.

I've posted a few times that I wouldn't bet totally against Rex staying and Idzik going...Rex's media army is already pushing it...horrifying as it may be it's not an impossibility

The media will push and push hard for Rex to stay , it will get worse and worse, we all know this I'm not breaking any news here...he sells papers and gives them access , they are not jet fans they have no interest in wins and losses.

Yup, like I've said many times this is my nightmare scenario, but not one that seems outside the realm of possibility. Every media outlet is pushing the "not Rex's fault" meme, and we all know Woody is dumb enough to buy it. You think we're a national laughing stock now? Wait until we fire a new GM 2 years on the job and try to saddle a 3rd GM with Rex. The term "circus" will be the understatement of the century!

I have no problem cleaning house entirely from the GM down to the coaching staff down to the scouting department down to the groundskeepers (at this point, this is probably our best option); I'd be okay with firing Rex and giving Idzik a shot with "his guy" (despite the fact that Idzik's done nothing to inspire confidence, it's difficult for a fair evaluation with Rex still here); the one scenario I would have a problem with is firing the GM on the job for 2 years while retaining Rex, and forcing him on the new (and sure to be sub-standard due to the Rex provision) GM. Unfortunately, we are such a stupid franchise with such a clueless owner, I can genuinely see option 3 as the most likely to occur.

SOJ

Yeah, let's give Rex not only his 3rd QB to ruin, but also his 3rd GM! Never mind the fact that the same problem will exist as when we hired Idzik to begin with, namely that no top shelf candidate will take the job with Rex attached…and if the new GM on the job for 2 years is fried AND REX STAYS?!? You think we have a bottom of the barrel GM now with Idzik, just wait and see what candidates are willing to take the job if something like that happens.

In all fairness, Tanny blew it himself. But yes i agree. Rex needs to go. 

A few things:

1. There are no more of those guys that you'd want to give complete control to. Harbaugh is a psychopath, Gruden would draft 40 different QBs from D-III, and I don't want to give Cowher 12 years to win a title. Look at how badly Belichick butchers that Pats roster year in and year out. You need a GM and you need a coach. What the Jets need is a capable guy that outranks both of them to insure that there's a clearly defined organizational philosophy.

2. Rex sucks and has produced the same results with every draft class he's been handed, so it's hard to speculate how bad a GM is when the player development is obviously crap.

I am not asking for a HC with complete control. I am asking for a football guy to run the franchise and make the key decisions. If that is a GM, fine, if that is a HC, fine.

I agree with you on Rex, he is a joke of a HC.

I don't think you have to give Idzik anything.

How are you supposed to develop a Geno? Run practices and tell him to imagine he's throwing to real WR?

See, here is the problem. I don't even really think Rex developed Geno, I think Idzik did, which is a major, major problem that the GM does not trust the HC (rightfully so) to develop the QB.

Geno had zero business starting last year to start the season. The guys footwork was so bad that it was a joke, he was nowhere near ready to start.

He should have sat behind Sanchez for the first half of the year, and came in either in the second half of the year, or this year.

Sanchez also had zero business starting his rookie year.

Some guys are NFL ready, some are not.

Nothing Rex has ever done has been worse than Idzik's most recent draft. 12 picks, only 2 players at non premium positions S and TE. in a historically deep year. 

what the hell is a non premium position ? Have you watched over the years while players like Polomalu and Reed have totally disrupted games ? Each Position is only as premium as the player in it. The jets had the chance this year to get Garappolo and they blew it because they put their faith in a QB who had one of the worst rookie seasons ever and continues to SUCK.

That being said If it were up to me to choose which of these two Idiots get shown the door I would say at this point Idzik but we can only hope they both get booted out on their asses and we sign

Harbaugh.jpeg

See, here is the problem. I don't even really think Rex developed Geno, I think Idzik did, which is a major, major problem that the GM does not trust the HC (rightfully so) to develop the QB.

Geno had zero business starting last year to start the season. The guys footwork was so bad that it was a joke, he was nowhere near ready to start.

He should have sat behind Sanchez for the first half of the year, and came in either in the second half of the year, or this year.

Sanchez also had zero business starting his rookie year.

Some guys are NFL ready, some are not.

How did Idzik develop anyone? It falls on the QB coach and the OC.

How did Idzik develop anyone? It falls on the QB coach and the OC.

Come one? Every decision about the QB has been made by Idzik since he got here. From starting Smith last year, to whether he gets benched or starts this year, every one.

Rex is not allowed to look at Geno without consulting with Idzik first.

Both need to go.... The only way to have this type of incompetence is when both are in way over their heads.

I agree. To me Idzik should be more gone than Rex. I have never seen this much roster mismanagement, oh and how is his hand picked OC doing? Probably also the worst in Jets history.

I agree. To me Idzik should be more gone than Rex. I have never seen this much roster mismanagement, oh and how is his hand picked OC doing? Probably also the worst in Jets history.

If I had to pick one to be worse, I would agree, but that is splitting hairs, they both suck a$$ really bad

If I had to pick one to be worse, I would agree, but that is splitting hairs, they both suck a$$ really bad

I agree. We need a coach who can handle all facets of the game. But none of that matters if we cant get some legit talent on this roster.

There are actually people in this thread advocating that keeping Rex while ousting Idzik is more logical than the inverse.

This fanbase deserves exactly what it gets from now on.

Rex deserves to stay more. I actually wouldn't have a problem with that. My preference is that both go though. Idzik should be sent packing today.

There are actually people in this thread advocating that keeping Rex while ousting Idzik is more logical than the inverse.

This fanbase deserves exactly what it gets from now on.

I want them both gone. If Rex lives and Idzik goes, I am done with the team for as long as Woody owns the team.

That said, I think as hard as it is to imagine, Idzik has done an even worse job than Rex since he is been here.

Rex deserves to stay more. I actually wouldn't have a problem with that. My preference is that both go though. Idzik should be sent packing today.

That's an opinion beyond farce. Who would take this GM job with Rex attached now? We already scraped the bottom of the barrel to find one GM willing to take the job with Rex attached, but if we fire him after 2 years AND force the next GM to take Rex as well? There's nobody willing to take the job under those circumstances. We'd be a laughingstock beyond anything we've ever seen in the league.

But hey, "boyitellya," and "I won't kiss Belichcik's rings" and stuff..

That's an opinion beyond farce. Who would take this GM job with Rex attached now? We already scraped the bottom of the barrel to find one GM willing to take the job with Rex attached, but if we fire him after 2 years AND force the next GM to take Rex as well? There's nobody willing to take the job under those circumstances. We'd be a laughingstock beyond anything we've ever seen in the league.

But hey, "boyitellya," and "I won't kiss Belichcik's rings" and stuff..

lets have Idzik pick our next head coach. Is there anyone who coached a team worse than MMs 0-16 Lions?

Idzik pushed "all in" with Geno - last season, off-season, draft, and this season.  

He squandered a boat load of picks in the draft, has not improved the OL, bugled free agency, and mis-managed the CB position.    

What has Idzik accomplished in 2 seasons to warrant a 3rd?   shedding salary cap doesn't qualify....anyone could do that.  

Idzik pushed "all in" with Geno - last season, off-season, draft, and this season.  

He squandered a boat load of picks in the draft, has not improved the OL, bugled free agency, and mis-managed the CB position.    

What has Idzik accomplished in 2 seasons to warrant a 3rd?   shedding salary cap doesn't qualify....anyone could do that.  

The guy just sucks. What the **** has he done in the NFL. Manage the cap for Seattle and ride the coattails of Carrol? Honestly, we need to get Harbaugh.

lets have Idzik pick our next head coach. Is there anyone who coached a team worse than MMs 0-16 Lions?

Nobody has a problem with firing Idzik; the absurd opinion is firing Idzik while retaining Wrecks, especially considering the only reason we couldn't land a better GM in the first place was because we forced him on all the potential candidates.

You think you hate Idzik? Wait 'til you get a load of whoever's willing to take over for a GM fired 2 years into his tenure, AND keep Wrecks on as HC! I'm sure you'll just love that GM...

Nobody has a problem with firing Idzik; the absurd opinion is firing Idzik while retaining Wrecks, especially considering the only reason we couldn't land a better GM in the first place was because we forced him on all the potential candidates.

You think you hate Idzik? Wait 'til you get a load of whoever's willing to take over for a GM fired 2 years into his tenure, AND keep Wrecks on as HC! I'm sure you'll just love that GM...

An 8 year old with 6 months of madden experience can GM better than this.

An 8 year old with 6 months of madden experience can GM better than this.

I doubt we'd be able to find even "an 8 year old with 6 months of madden experience" willing to GM this sh*tshow if we force Wrecks upon his 3rd GM yet.

How many GM's, QB's, and OC's do we allow him to go through before we finally arrive at the only logical conclusion left - that Wrecks is this team's biggest problem?!?

Come one? Every decision about the QB has been made by Idzik since he got here. From starting Smith last year, to whether he gets benched or starts this year, every one.

Rex is not allowed to look at Geno without consulting with Idzik first.

First of all this has nothing to do with developing a QB, this would be telling his HC to,start a player.

Secondly you have no clue if this is true or not. Did he want him to start, yes. Did he force Rex? You're guessing or making it up.

Idzik isn't going anywhere. The "all options on the table" for him means that he can keep Rex or fire him, IMHO. Not that he could possibly be fired.

That is how I read that too.  Rex sounded like he had one foot out the door at his press conference

Archived