How To Fix The Roster - Prioritization

nj meadowlands

How in the world do you fix this mess?  I waffle between "certain positions are hot garbage" and "the entire roster is wholly pathetic".

If you had to prioritize which positions needed to be addressed, how would you do it?  For me..

1) Quarterback - I've been avoiding this one for a while, but it's time.  Someone said this a while ago on this board, but I think we really need to just keep investing high picks in this position until something finally works.  Jameis Winston circus please!   So long:  Michael Vick, Geno Smith (relegated to backup)

2) Guard / Tackle - I'm so sick of watching Willie Colon alternate between committing false starts and getting blown off the ball.  With Mangold and Brick (quickly) aging, it's time to invest and invest hard in the O-Line.  So long:  Willie Colon, Brian Winters

3a) Linebacker - Assuming that Rex is gone and we go to a 4-3, we're going to need some 4-3 backers.  David Harris looks cooked.  So long:  David Harris, Calvin Pace

3b) Secondary - Oy.  This could easily have been number 1, which is scary.  I'll put this position at 3a based on the delusional hope that Dee Milliner and Dex McDougle could contribute and not be total garbage next season.  Darrin Walls and Antonio Allen seem like ok pieces in a dime package, but have no business starting.  So long:  Kyle Wilson, Dawan Landry

4) Wide Receiver - Before Geno's first quarter abortion yesterday--when I was still holding out hope that he could be serviceable enough to justify avoiding using our top pick in a QB next year--I was hoping we would bring Amari Cooper in to go with Decker, Kerley, and Harvin (whom, I think, we will probably attempt to restructure, and won't pay 10+mm next year).  Now, I have no idea.  I still think we need a big receiver to play on the outside, but I also think the current crop of guys would be plenty good enough to succeed with a competent quarterback.

The Jets need two starting corners. Milliner looked bad in limited time. Don't know what you'll get from McDougal. The safeties are bad too. Pryor has a long way to go. Allen should be moved back to safety. Walls would be solid Nickleback. Probably should address it through free agency as there are bigger needs through the draft. A #1 corner is a must.

The Jets need two starting corners. Milliner looked bad in limited time. Don't know what you'll get from McDougal. The safeties are bad too. Pryor has a long way to go. Allen should be moved back to safety. Walls would be solid Nickleback. Probably should address it through free agency as there are bigger needs through the draft. A #1 corner is a must.

I think Milliner looked good in limited time, but I won't be counting on him coming off that injury.  One legit FA CB and maybe you can live with those guys at the other spot.  If they are running a different D, CB may not be such a priority.  IMO Wilson has looked better the last couple of weeks where he is facing the ball and playing zone.  Guys like that can be had much cheaper than actual cover CBs like Revis. 

I think Milliner looked good in limited time, but I won't be counting on him coming off that injury. One legit FA CB and maybe you can live with those guys at the other spot. If they are running a different D, CB may not be such a priority. IMO Wilson has looked better the last couple of weeks where he is facing the ball and playing zone. Guys like that can be had much cheaper than actual cover CBs like Revis.

Yeah. If Rex is gone and the leaving your CBs on an island so you can blitz every play is gone too, then this becomes less of a priority. He's too stubborn or doesn't know any different to change his strategy when he doesn't have the players to play the scheme he wants. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I think Milliner looked good in limited time, but I won't be counting on him coming off that injury.  One legit FA CB and maybe you can live with those guys at the other spot.  If they are running a different D, CB may not be such a priority.  IMO Wilson has looked better the last couple of weeks where he is facing the ball and playing zone.  Guys like that can be had much cheaper than actual cover CBs like Revis. 

Yeah. If Rex is gone and the leaving your CBs on an island so you can blitz every play is gone too, then this becomes less of a priority. He's too stubborn or doesn't know any different to change his strategy when he doesn't have the players to play the scheme he wants. It's absolutely ridiculous.

CB over QB?

i used to be a proponent of 1st or 2nd rd QB pick every year until you hit gold. but now i am convinced jets cannot develop a QB so better to trade those same picks for a guy who someone competent already developed. the "if you can't make it, buy it" approach.

Rex Ryan has proven himself even more inept than the 2nd worst Jets coach of the past 20 years: Herman Edwards. Isn't it striking how similar their approach has become? The only difference (and it's not a BIG one either) is that Herm focused on defensive backs  first and foremost and Ryan has done his share of damage there but his #1 priority has always been the DLine. Where they are nearly identical is in the decimation of the offensive line, using the previous regime's assets there and never choosing to re-stock.

I think this deserves it's own thread NJ Meadowlands; Worse Jets Head Coach: Herm or Rex? 

1. Quarterback, quarterback, quarterback.  Neither Smith nor Vick should be Jets in 2015.

2. Cornerback.  Milliner is unreliable, the new kid an unknown.  We need a #1 CB at the very least. 

3. O-Line.  Fix the O-Line, beyond Mangold they're either average or weak.

4. Wide Reciever.  Dump Harvin, hire a real WR.

That's it, that would be more than enough to make the rest of this roster a playoff contender IMO.

People keep parroting this and it is bullsh*t.  Rex has totally changed schemes based on the CBs.  I don't know what ******* game you guys are watching.  Hell the Pats first TD is a perfect example.  Straight zone, blown assignment, Outside CB passed the back off, Allen lets the guy roll up the sideline for 50 yards.  People who think Rex is inflexible on D are not watching.  

People keep parroting this and it is bullsh*t. Rex has totally changed schemes based on the CBs. I don't know what ******* game you guys are watching. Hell the Pats first TD is a perfect example. Straight zone, blown assignment, Outside CB passed the back off, Allen lets the guy roll up the sideline for 50 yards. People who think Rex is inflexible on D are not watching.

Yeah you're right...Rex did finally adjust. The secondary is just that bad.

People keep parroting this and it is bullsh*t.  Rex has totally changed schemes based on the CBs.  I don't know what ******* game you guys are watching.  Hell the Pats first TD is a perfect example.  Straight zone, blown assignment, Outside CB passed the back off, Allen lets the guy roll up the sideline for 50 yards.  People who think Rex is inflexible on D are not watching.  

They were playing a ton of zone and off-man against the Bills. They also line up a ton of different guys on Wide receivers to give them different looks. Mangini was the one running the force a round peg into a square hole type defense.

Yeah you're right...Rex did finally adjust. The secondary is just that bad.

I actually think he always adjusted.  The trouble is sometimes you have to run man just to keep teams honest and the QBs they have been facing have been good enough to see it an destroy it.  Orton didn't have to be.  He completed 10 ******* passes. 

Archived