Rookie Jeremiah George may turn out to be like an extra draft pick for the Jaguars

RSJ

Played 10 plays this past weekend and got 3 tackles.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/513351/vito-stellino/2014-11-01/rookie-jeremiah-george-may-turn-out-be-extra-draft-pick

Blogs: Start a blog Staff Times-Union Columnists Featured Community Blogging Tips

Blog Categories: Business Entertainment News Politics Sports

Rookie Jeremiah George may turn out to be like an extra draft pick for the Jaguars

More Sharing Services

Share on twitter

Submitted by Vito Stellino on November 1, 2014 - 3:34pm

Vito Stellino's Blog

JView this blog post on the All-Access Members site

Jeremiah George may turn out to be like an extra draft pick for the Jaguars this year.

The Jaguars liked George in the draft but they had more pressing needs than a middle linebacker and the New York Jets took him in the fifth round.

It was something of a surprise pick because the Jets run a 3-4 and he’s a 4-3 middle linebacker.

The Jets cut him at the end of camp and put him on the practice squad, which meant he could leave if he got an offer from another team.

The Jaguars liked his potential enough to sign him to their 53 man roster on Sept. 23, just three weeks after the Jets put him on their practice squad.

He was inactive for his first four games and finally got in uniform for the Miami game although he didn’t have any snaps at linebacker. He played 19 plays on special teams and made one tackle.

But the Jaguars like the way he’s progressing and there’s a chance he could start in the middle in Cincinnati.

J.T. Thomas played the middle against Miami because Paul Posluszny is out for the season but they could switch Thomas back to the outside Otto linebacker position and play George in the middle in the base packages.

“I may be starting in the base,’’ George said.

But how much he plays depends on the Cincinnati offense because he won’t play in the sub packages on passing downs.

“Cincinnati likes to do a lot of different type personnel so there could be a bunch when I’m out there and then there could be when I’m hardly out there so we’ll see,’’ he said.

He added, “I’ll find out on Sunday. I’m excited. I feel ready. I feel my preparation has been pretty good. They’ve been trying to push me along, getting me more familiar with the playbook.’’

Coach Gus Bradley has yet to announce whether George will start, but he’s been giving George good reviews.

“I think it caught our attention with his speed, his instincts. I think all caught our eye and then we were waiting for him just to see how well he could pick up the defense. He showed really well last week and then to have another good week on top of it, I think he’s caught our eye,’’ he said.

He added, “When we pick up somebody during the season, work with them, find out their traits, see what they can do and give them an opportunity to compete. I think with him, we saw his traits. He’s got short areas quickness, really good speed and really instinctive in the box versus the run. I think what we need to look at is his pass drops and things like that. That’s what took a couple of weeks for him to really get a feel for what we’re asking him to do. The run fit were pretty much right from the start.’’

As far as Thomas playing outside again, Bradley said, “I think JT has proven that he’s done a good job there so it’s a matter of going about it, and then with Dekoda (Watson) with the hamstring situation, I think that it’s going more in that direction (Thomas playing the Otto),’’

George said he wasn’t disappointed about being cut by the Jets because he said he’s a rookie and it’s part of the business.

But the Clearwater native, who played his college ball at Iowa State, is thrilled to be a Jaguar.

“It’s been great. I love it here. Yes, we’re a 1-7 team but the energy and competition we bring every single day has pushed us in the right direction,’’ he said.

If George steps into the starting lineup, it will be them another rookie starter.

Third round pick Brandon Linder has started every game at guard and center Luke Bowanko, a sixth round choice, has started the last five. So has quarterback Blake Bortles, their top pick, and wide receiver Allen Robinson, a second round pick, has started the last six. Linebacker Telvin Smith, a fifth round pick, has stared three of the last four. Running back Storm Johnson, their seventh round pick, has started one game although he has been inactive four games. And wide receiver Marquis Lee, a second round pick, has started three games.

If George moves to the starting lineup, it will make the rookie class look even more productive even though they didn’t draft him.

Archived