Interesting PFF numbers from Jets vs. Chiefs

AFJF

Jets offensive line had their best game of the season..

D'Brick had overall rating of 2.7, second best rating of the year.

Oday Aboushi posted a 1.7, far better than his -2.3 last week and was the best run blocker at 1.3.

Willie Colon posted his best game at 1.7, only his second game this season with a positive rating.

Breno Giacomini was average at -0.8.

LCB Josh Thomas provided the best pass coverage of any DB at 0.9 on 29 snaps (18 pass plays)

Damon Harrison earned the only "above average" grade on defense at 1.3

After a strong game last week, Coples was the worst rated defender at -3.1

Having not played, looked at Geno Smith to see where he may finish the season statistically.

Worst rated QB by NFL and PFF ratings.

47.4 QB rating and 44% comp pct when he has over 2.5 seconds to throw, both are worst in the NFL.

4.59 seconds from snap to sack is .6 seconds longer than any other QB in the NFL. Could it be that the pass blocking hasn't been that bad but tons of sacks because Geno is holding on to the ball for almost a full second longer than any other QB in the NFL? Sheer coincidence that once Vick comes in, the O-line is significantly better?

The

What do the #'s mean...2.8, -0.9 etc?

Basically, it's a score they give to each player based on whether or not they do their job on a given play, no matter how they get it done. For example, if it's a lineman's job to block the DE, and he does it by using proper technique, or by falling over and getting in his way, they don't discriminate. They're just concerned with whether or not the player carried out his assignment. 0.0 is the "average" that they start with. They consider any play rating between 1.0 and -1.0 as average since it's so close to the 0.0 they start with, hence calling Giacomini's -0.8 as average. They also don't give credit when a player simply does what's expected. If a LB goes unblocked and tackles the ball carrier, that should be expected of him, so that's a 0.0. With that being the case, I believe they getting positive ratings by shedding blockers and making plays within 3 yards of the LOS, etc. There's a pretty long in-depth explanation that they offer on their site, but this is the nuts and bolts of it.

This is very subjective- how do they know what the players responsibility on every play is

Agreed...this isn't an exact science, but not a bad guide. If a guy is too often seen not blocking anyone or showing up late to make one, it's fair to guess he's not regularly being asked to do that. I've always said I'm pretty skeptical if these numbers, but good and bad plays will add up enough to give an idea.

Colon and Giacomini are terrible. 

I really thought Giacomini would be at least average, but I don't think he's been even that. Do you think his performance vs. the Chiefs had anything to do with him suddenly having to have to pass protect the blindside of a lefty QB? 

Aboushi has been a somewhat positive replacement for Winters. Winters and Colon are ******* trash.

I'm hoping that Aboushi and Dozier can play next year, at a somewhat high level. It'll save us from having to have to completely rebuild the OL. The tackles concern me... better to improve there before spending on guards.

I really thought Giacomini would be at least average, but I don't think he's been even that. Do you think his performance vs. the Chiefs had anything to do with him suddenly having to have to pass protect the blindside of a lefty QB? 

Aboushi has been a somewhat positive replacement for Winters. Winters and Colon are ******* trash.

I'm hoping that Aboushi and Dozier can play next year, at a somewhat high level. It'll save us from having to have to completely rebuild the OL. The tackles concern me... better to improve there before spending on guards.

Didnt even think about that...good call.  Its definitely a different position.  Might mean something about Brick's playing improving too.  Maybe he needs to move to where he's not protecting a blindside?  Maybe the Jets target a beast OT and move Brick and hope Aboushi and Dozier materialize? 

Didnt even think about that...good call.  Its definitely a different position.  Might mean something about Brick's playing improving too.  Maybe he needs to move to where he's not protecting a blindside?  Maybe the Jets target a beast OT and move Brick and hope Aboushi and Dozier materialize? 

Wouldn't that be nice. The concern I have with Brick is that he's never been known for road grading, and wouldn't you want that if you moved him to RT (assuming we have a right handed QB again next year)?

Jets offensive line had their best game of the season..

Breno Giacomini was average at -0.8.

LCB Josh Thomas provided the best pass coverage of any DB at 0.9 on 29 snaps (18 pass plays)

Damon Harrison earned the only "above average" grade on defense at 1.3

I am not sure how Harrison is the only one that is above average at 1.3 while Giacomini was average at -0.8 and Josh Thomas was at 0.9.  Is average between 1 and -1?

I agree on Geno holding the ball.  Our Oline is not stellar, but I think they are much better than the whole board demanding we invest.  I think our investment there has been better and more reasonable than elsewhere, particularly on O.

Has Josh Thomas ever played a single snap in the NFL prior to Sunday?

Colon and Giacomini are terrible. 

Thomas had ten starts for the Panthers in 2012 and 2013. They had picked him up in 2011 after he was cut by the Cowboys who drafted him in the 5th.  Williams is the 2014 UDFA from ND State. 

4.59 seconds from snap to sack is .6 seconds longer than any other QB in the NFL. Could it be that the pass blocking hasn't been that bad but tons of sacks because Geno is holding on to the ball for almost a full second longer than any other QB in the NFL? Sheer coincidence that once Vick comes in, the O-line is significantly better?

ding ding ding we have a winner

the OL was never bad in fact it's actually above average by NFL standards. Most teams dont' have a Nick Mangold.

If you give a guy 4.5 seconds and he can't make a decision, he's not an NFL QB. 

Wouldn't that be nice. The concern I have with Brick is that he's never been known for road grading, and wouldn't you want that if you moved him to RT (assuming we have a right handed QB again next year)?

Maybe 10 years ago, but you need pass protectors on both sides now.

I really hope to land Bulaga this offseason.

Archived