Jarrett all Smiles

flgreen

Jarrett all smiles since standout game

November, 12, 2014

NOV 12

10:00

AM ET

By Danny Knobler | Special to ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- You could hardly blame the New York Jets if they just want to get out of town after Wednesday's final practice of their bye week. The NFL season is long, and even longer when you go eight weeks without a win.

But you could hardly blame Jaiquawn Jarrett if he wants to spend the rest of this week soaking it in.

Jarrett grew up in Brooklyn and starred at Fort Hamilton High. If he wants to see how Jets fans responded to the 20-13 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers that ended an eight-game losing streak, he needs only to check out his own friends and family.

They're celebrating, especially because in his first start of the season, Jarrett was one of the Jets' true stars against the Steelers. In fact, Jarrett had a game so good that it would have stood out even in a much better Jets season.

Starting at safety in place of Calvin Pryor, Jarrett had two interceptions and a sack. In the 32 years since the NFL made sacks an official statistic, no other Jet ever had two interceptions and a sack in the same game.

It was enough for coach Rex Ryan to say that Jarrett will start again when the Jets return from the bye for a Nov. 23 game at Buffalo. It was also enough to put a smile on Jarrett's face, a smile that was still there on Tuesday.

"It's a wonderful feeling," Jarrett said. "My family is happier for me than I am for myself. My friends and my family are really enjoying it. Especially my mom, she's real happy. And my grandmother and my niece. Everyone is just real excited."

The way Jarrett sees it, the excitement will carry through the bye week.

"It's always good to have a little bit of a break," he said. "You wish we could take this momentum into the next week, but at the same time, I think we're going to continue to build on it."

Whatever building the Jets are going to do continues on the practice field Wednesday, but then will need to wait as the players get four full days off.

The Jarrett family's excitement won't need to take a break.

In two seasons with the Bills, Aaron Maybinnever recorded a single sack. In one game against the Bills on Sunday, Maybin recorded two sacks in the Jets’ 28-24 win. Jets coach Rex Ryan liked what he saw.

After reviewing the game tape today, Ryan singled out Maybin for praise and said he was a major reason the Jets won.

“Maybin, he had six quarterback hits, two sacks [and] made a great play on the screen pass,” Ryan said. “The all-hustle team right there. I really like that about Maybin. He plays with his hair on fire and it’s encouraging to watch.”

For Bills fans, hearing that about Maybin has to sting. After the Bills took Maybin with the 11th overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft, it was one negative story after another out of Buffalo about why Maybin couldn’t translate his natural athleticism into productive play on the field.

Ryan said he thought Maybin was highly motivated to play against the team that cut him.

“Obviously, that game was special to him,” Ryan said “Any time you play against a team that’s released you or whatever, you want to have a great game.”

Maybin has said that Ryan saw something in him that the Bills’ coaches didn’t. Ryan seems thrilled with the way Maybin has repaid that confidence.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/28/rex-ryan-praises-aaron-maybin-for-win-over-bills/

Exactly how I feel.  Let the kid play a few games and produce before we anoint the new defensive savior.

I like Jarrett and his energy.  I just want it to be consistent, not one game's worth of stellar play.

Granted, I haven't been looking, but where did you see anything anointing Jarrett as a new defensive savior?

Granted, I haven't been looking, but where did you see anything anointing Jarrett as a new defensive savior?

I haven't.  Not what I meant at all.  Sorry if it came across that way.  There just seems to be an overall expectation that I'm reading here and in the press.

As a fan for almost 50 years, I have seen this scenario played out dozens of times.  A guy has a great game, and we all jump on the bandwagon thinking that the player is for real.  Most times, it does not pan out.  I just don't want folks hopes built too high in case Jarrett regresses after last sunday.  I HOPE/PRAY that I'm wrong thinking he is not an elite player.  Maybe I should not have called him a JAG the other day.

Jarrett is an interesting player. Seems he saw more time last year and I totally recall constant praise from everyone on this board when he was in. I remember multiple side conversations (or at least a post or two here and there) in game day threads about, either a nice play he made or that he was playing good etc. From multiple posters on this board. Made a lot of plays off blitzes too...

In two seasons with the Bills, Aaron Maybinnever recorded a single sack. In one game against the Bills on Sunday, Maybin recorded two sacks in the Jets’ 28-24 win. Jets coach Rex Ryan liked what he saw.

After reviewing the game tape today, Ryan singled out Maybin for praise and said he was a major reason the Jets won.

“Maybin, he had six quarterback hits, two sacks [and] made a great play on the screen pass,” Ryan said. “The all-hustle team right there. I really like that about Maybin. He plays with his hair on fire and it’s encouraging to watch.”

For Bills fans, hearing that about Maybin has to sting. After the Bills took Maybin with the 11th overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft, it was one negative story after another out of Buffalo about why Maybin couldn’t translate his natural athleticism into productive play on the field.

Ryan said he thought Maybin was highly motivated to play against the team that cut him.

“Obviously, that game was special to him,” Ryan said “Any time you play against a team that’s released you or whatever, you want to have a great game.”

Maybin has said that Ryan saw something in him that the Bills’ coaches didn’t. Ryan seems thrilled with the way Maybin has repaid that confidence.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/28/rex-ryan-praises-aaron-maybin-for-win-over-bills/

Wait, I thought Rex had nothing to do with which players we acquire.

Jarrett is an interesting player. Seems he saw more time last year and I totally recall constant praise from everyone on this board when he was in. I remember multiple side conversations (or at least a post or two here and there) in game day threads about, either a nice play he made or that he was playing good etc. From multiple posters on this board. Made a lot of plays off blitzes too...

I agree. I think it's absurd he's only now getting on the field, with as bad as the secondary has been, every single DB suited up should have been getting snaps until someone jumped up and laid claim to a job next year.

This is the highlight of the Jets' season on several levels.  Easy to root for this kid.

Guy was a second round pick.  He might be a find.  Jets had him on their radar draft day, too.  I have my fingers crossed.  They need a guy who can play deep so they can move Pryor to where he belongs and see what they really have.

Archived