Charley Casserly…Rex’s Savior?

JetNation

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can call it passing the buck if you like but I would see it as Woody being smart enough to know his limitations.  When it comes to football he has many.  He's doing the right thing by reaching out to established, respected football people.  That was my first wish for this off-season.  Wish number two, was to allow the established, respected football people to evaluate this mess and make a decision based on their advice.   Woody is in over his head and I like that he's reaching for a life preserver instead of stubbornly drowning.

I get the question, but unless you're on the inside you don't know the answers.  If I were to go on comments from current/past players and coaches, I'd say Rex is held in very high regard as a HC.  Again, not my opinion, but the opinion of people who have coached and played in the NFL.  Players and coaches with super bowl rings. 

The New York Jets are broken. From coaching to administrative. 

You do not ask someone to look at that broken machine and say, we want you to to takes these broken parts and fix me up with a great new machine.

Anyone worth their salt will want to do it THEIR way, with THEIR people. Rex Ryan does not fit into many of those equations. look how that equation worked last time.

The Jets need to stop forcing people on their saviors. It is a broken process that way.

SD, nobody is suggesting  that.  Nobody is  saying we should tether any GM to any coach.  We're saying to bring in a GM and let him bring in his own coach if the one that is currently under contract does not fit what he is looking for.  Those are two completely different things.

Want a wager that Rex is announced gone by 2pm Monday?

The people that they have in place to lead this suggests that is the way the process goes. There really is no other way it can go.

The New York Jets are broken. From coaching to administrative. 

You do not ask someone to look at that broken machine and say, we want you to to takes these broken parts and fix me up with a great new machine.

Anyone worth their salt will want to do it THEIR way, with THEIR people. Rex Ryan does not fit into many of those equations. look how that equation worked last time.

The Jets need to stop forcing people on their saviors. It is a broken process that way.

I'm going to stop here because we're pretty much saying the same thing, but you can't see it that way due to the fact that I don't view Rex as Satan.

Want a wager that Rex is announced gone by 2pm Monday?

The people that they have in place to lead this suggests that is the way the process goes. There really is no other way it can go.

Seriously, with the not reading what I say.  Did I not just agree with  you earlier in this thread and say that I would put my money on Rex being gone on Monday?  Then a few posts later you're asking me to take the opposite bet? 

The thread title was authored by you, wasn't it?

The thread title contained a question mark, did it not?  Woody's advisor said that in his opinion Rex Ryan was the best coach in the NFL last season.  Is it all that crazy to suggest there's a chance he paints a favorable picture of Rex in providing the advice Woody is asking him for?  Let me answer that for you...for any sane human being, it is not that far a stretch.

The thread title contained a question mark, did it not?  Woody's advisor said that in his opinion Rex Ryan was the best coach in the NFL last season.  Is it all that crazy to suggest there's a chance he paints a favorable picture of Rex in providing the advice Woody is asking him for?  Let me answer that for you...for any sane human being, it is not that far a stretch.

Well according to you now, the chances are not so good. We agree.

Jetnation writer, eating waffles? ;)

Well according to you now, the chances are not so good. We agree.

Jetnation writer, eating waffles? ;)

Never said they were good and I've been saying for weeks that Rex is likely gone.  However, hiring a Rex proponent is a noteworthy development for an owner who clearly likes the most successful HC this team has had since they last won a ring.  We've been agreeing for the majority of the time, but for some reason you pick apart the points I make in an attempt to paint a different picture. 

Rex's achievements vs. every other HC they've had here since winning SB III.

A below .500 record. 25-40 since Jan 2011. 2 playoff appearances in 6 yrs. $100K in fines. Woody funding a league-wide program to educate NFL players and teams about sexual harassment during Rex's watch. Oh boy those are quite some achievements.

Some here seem to be on Jimmy Sexton's payroll.

A below .500 record. 25-40 since Jan 2011. 2 playoff appearances in 6 yrs. $100K in fines. Woody funding a league-wide program to educate NFL players and teams about sexual harassment during Rex's watch. Oh boy those are quite some achievements.

Some here seem to be on Jimmy Sexton's payroll.

What coach has this organization employed since SB III that has achieved more? 

What has he achieved? 2 playoff runs without a SB appearance? That's the bar Jet fans strive for? No thanks.

I was having a conversation with TomShane and brought attention to the fact that Rex has achieved more than any other coach in this sorry team's history since SB III.  That cannot be disputed by any rational human being no matter how much it hurts.  The comment I made was 100% fact and made no mention of where "the bar" should be set.

I was having a conversation with TomShane and brought attention to the fact that Rex has achieved more than any other coach in this sorry team's history since SB III. That cannot be disputed by any rational human being no matter how much it hurts. The comment I made was 100% fact and made no mention of where "the bar" should be set.

That's based on your definition of Achieved.

I was having a conversation with TomShane and brought attention to the fact that Rex has achieved more than any other coach in this sorry team's history since SB III. That cannot be disputed by any rational human being no matter how much it hurts. The comment I made was 100% fact and made no mention of where "the bar" should be set.

You're straight trolling now.

That's based on your definition of Achieved.

Of course it is.  Why in the world would I base it on somebody else's definition?  As a fan of the Jets, getting to the Super Bowl is the ultimate achievement and is where the actual bar should be set.  No coach has gotten the Jets as close as Ryan on multiple occasions.  So based on being a fan and wanting them to win a Super Bowl, I acknowledge Ryan being better than any of the other bums that have come and gone over the years. 

Of course it is. Why in the world would I base it on somebody else's definition? As a fan of the Jets, getting to the Super Bowl is the ultimate achievement and is where the actual bar should be set. No coach has gotten the Jets as close as Ryan on multiple occasions. So based on being a fan and wanting them to win a Super Bowl, I acknowledge Ryan being better than any of the other bums that have come and gone over the years.

Fair enough. JMO. No way in hell is he better or achieved more than Parcells who took over a 1-15 team and went 9-7, 12-4 & 8-8 (after starting out 0-3 when Vinny went down and won 7 of their last 9 with Ray Lucas (who had less talent than Sanchez or Geno) at QB. Now thats coaching and getting the most and best out of his players. Fact!

Anyway. Happy Holidays, AFJF!

This is so Woody. Let's do the corporate thing and have another committee. 

Years ago my company brought in this guy as a consultant. I went on a sales call with him and he told me, "never lose a big deal alone". He was serious. Bring your boss if you think you might lose the deal. Spread the blame.  Ah, you have to love the corporate mentality.

Now in 5 years we will have two consultants pointing fingers at each other and we will be looking for another new coach.

THAT is what I was talking about with the calling Woody Johnson a coward. he will NOT allow himself to be up on a stage the way that Idzik was last month. Which is the REASON that Rex survived the last big purge. There was nobody else LEFT in the building with whom to answer the hard questions that Woody knew would be flying fast and furiously at him-he HAD to have Rex Ryan up there with him or the cat would be let out of the bag as to how CLUELESS Woody Johnson really is when it comes to NFL football

This is so Woody. Let's do the corporate thing and have another committee.

Years ago my company brought in this guy as a consultant. I went on a sales call with him and he told me, "never lose a big deal alone". He was serious. Bring your boss if you think you might lose the deal. Spread the blame. Ah, you have to love the corporate mentality.

Now in 5 years we will have two consultants pointing fingers at each other and we will be looking for another new coach.

Disgusting, isn't it?

Don't think they'll tell the new GM that keeping Rex is a requirement. More like the new GM will have the option of keeping him. And if so, perhaps extend his contract so he's not a lame duck coach in 2015.

Based on Casserly's previous opinion of Rex throughout this Idzik debacle, if he brings in a like-minded GM... Rex should be back.

Bring in a new GM and let him decide. Pretty simple I think.

Yeah but there's a problem with that. Doing so is, in effect, putting the firing of Rex on the new GM. We may not care, but Ryan is a popular guy with players. Kind of a dick move and a new GM who doesn't want Ryan may not relish firing a popular coach as being his first order of business. 

What the 2 consultants should be telling Woody is he needs to clean house and a new GM will want to bring in his own guy. If there's a candidate or two that would have chosen Ryan as his guy, then so be it. Said GM could always re-hire Ryan if he truly had his heart set on him. Plus it would put to bed any confusion as to Ryan being forced upon yet another GM.

Everyone has to go, like a year end clearance sale. Maybe a couple of assistant coaches like Dunbar can stay, if they're under contract, but really they're only staying temporarily and the next HC will decide for certain if he wants to keep them around. Don't force any lower-ranking personnel onto higher-ranking personnel. Defeats the purpose of hiring the latter IMO.

Archived