Mawae Denied Hall of Fame bid

JetNation

Mawae and Mangold

Long-time New York Jets great, Kevin Mawae, who was eligible for induction to the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio failed to make the cut.  The NFL announced the fifteen finalists for induction but the Pro-Bowl center wasn’t on the list.  Originally drafted by the Seattle Seahawks, Mawae anchored the Jets offensive line from  1998-2005 after being acquired as a free agent by then-Head Coach, Bill Parcells.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
FKKlkXdGSeQ

View the full article

Lol he ruined poor Zach Thomas's career when he came to the Jets. That dolphin defense with Taylor and Madison and Zach thomas had some of the biggest mouths. and the Jets just kicked their ass all the time during mawaes tenure.

Btw Parcells brought him to the Jets lol

At the time he played his career had HOF trajectory, ESPECIALLY with the Jets. We had him at his ABSOLUTE ALLPRO PRIME for 8 years!!

And was EASILY replaced by the 29th overall pick in the 2006 draft. The Jets have been without a hitch at center, except for a three game span in 2011- ColinBaxter, ever since.

When I think of it that way, #68 is not a HoFer by today's standards.

But I still love him and he is a torch bearer in our franchises great lineage of Exceptional players at the Center position.

What???? Thats news to me.

Say it's not so , Joe.

Klecko Admits Lying To Jury( only Bill Clinton can get away with that)

by Jim Smith, Daily News Staff Writer

POSTED: January 12, 1993

Joe Klecko always knew about pain.

Twelve years in the National Football League as an all-pro defensive lineman had taught him about pain, the many times he played with injuries that would have stopped most mere mortals; the operations, the recoveries, the comebacks.

But it seemed there was no pain on the football field to compare with what Klecko suffered yesterday as he stood before the bar of justice and admitted he had committed perjury.

Still big and powerful, Klecko looked like he could easily rend into splinters the wooden podium at which he stood in federal court, but the loud, mournful sighs he emitted expressed his helplessness and anguish.

Klecko had been caught up in what has been described as one of the largest insurance fraud cases ever brought in federal court here. Altogether, 67 people have been charged in a scheme that authorities say bilked an insurance company out of at least $5 million in fraudulent damage claims.

Klecko had appeared in 1991 before a federal grand jury investigating a group of insurance appraisers and auto body-shop owners who had filed thousands of false claims for vehicles they said had been damaged by ash and oil spewed out by the Sun Oil refinery in Marcus Hook.

Travelers Insurance Co. paid out an average $3,500 per claim between 1988 and 1990. Some of those charged in the case were employees of Travelers.

But Klecko was not part of the scheme itself, according to U.S. Attorney Lee J. Dobkin.

Dobkin told U.S. District Judge Harvey Bartle III that Klecko lied to the grand jury to protect a close friend, an insurance appraiser who had filed a fraudulent claim on a truck Klecko owned, without Klecko's knowledge.

The lie, made under oath, was costly.

Klecko, 39, of Malvern, whose long and distinguished career in football was capped by a second career as a successful businessman, is now a convicted felon facing a maximum prison term of five years and a $250,000 fine.

He is more likely to receive a sentence of six to 12 months, all or part of which could be served in a halfway house or under house arrest, a source said. Bartle set sentencing for April 8 and allowed Klecko to remain free on $5,000 bail.

Klecko, 6-foot-3, 265 pounds in his playing days, looked like a beaten man as he entered his plea.

After the hearing, Klecko's attorney, John R. Wing, of New York, released a prepared statement on Klecko's behalf.

"I did not commit this offense for any personal gain, but rather to protect a close friend who was under investigation for insurance fraud," Klecko said in the statement.

"I had no participation in or prior knowledge of this fraud and never benefited from it in any way.

"What I did was wrong and I deeply regret having made this serious mistake.

"I am particularly sorry for the hardship and pain my bad judgment has unfairly imposed on my family and friends, whose incredible support has

assisted me throughout this difficult time."

Klecko entered his guilty plea only after the judge refused to dismiss the perjury charge based on Klecko's contention that prosecutors improperly lured him into a "perjury trap," knowing he'd lie to protect his friend.

Dobkin yesterday denied any impropriety and told the judge that he had told Klecko prior to Klecko's grand jury appearance that he and the FBI were skeptical of the story Klecko was giving and had urged Klecko not to lie.

Klecko, a native of Chester, now runs several restaurants and a health club and is a paid public speaker.

The New York Jets drafted Klecko in the 6th round in 1977, at a time when he was playing semi-pro football, and Klecko bacame part of a tough Jets defensive line that was called the "Sack Exchange" because of the success it had in tackling opposing quarterbacks.

Klecko led the NFL in sacks with 20 1/2 in 1981.

Despite a series of injuries, Klecko was selected to the All-Pro team four times during his 12-year career, during which he played defensive end and nose tackle.

He was waived by the Jets in February 1988, at a time when he was making about $800,000 a year, after a team physician recommended retirement, but he was picked up by the Indianapolis Colts and played one more season before calling it quits.

Klecko has co-authored a book about the Jets, and played the roll of a villain in a 1987 Burt Reynolds movie called, "Heat."

He was inducted into the Temple University Athletes Hall of Fame in 1987.

Archived