ESPN at war with Pats?

AFJF

It is not illegal to steal signals, as it is to rob a bank, so what is the analogy you are trying to make. a more appropriate analogy would be that it is ok for you to withdraw money from a bank, but that the bank can ask you to remove your hat and sunglasses before you do.

It really is not possible to break it down into smaller chunks than I have here.

Nobody is accusing you of wearing a brown jacket (stealing signals).  Wearing brown jackets (stealing signals) are not against the rules.  What is against the rules is taping from the sidelines (robbing a bank).  That is what you were accused of and shown to have been doing.  The fact that you were doing so in order to be able to get a better brown jacket (steal signals better) is presumably why that particular activity (taping) is prohibited from that location (from the sidelines).

WTF part of this is outside of your grasp?  Once it was made outside the rules the people involved must have formed some idea about why the Commissioner took that action. Even after they formed an opinion about why the commissioner made it against the rules they continued to do it anyway.  It was a calculated risk.  They did it because they derived benefit (competitive advantage) from doing it.  If they could get the same benefit by taping from other locations then that is what they would have done.  They taped from where they taped  BECAUSE THEY GAINED COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE FROM DOING THAT.

Just like they have derived competitive advantage from systematically doctoring the footballs for the last 8 years.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At some point New York politicians ended up getting rid of Sheldon Silver when even a month ago and for the last twenty years anyone who knew anything about NY politics would have told you such an outcome was simply not possible. 

At some point the other 31 owners are simnply going to get tired of the rotting stench coming from New England and they will decide to do something about it.  My guess is that it will be sooner rather than later.  Just imagine how reluctant the commissioner will have to be in public when he is forced to take real action against a multi-time offender and a personal friend.  Heck it might actually go a long way to restoring his reputation after the Ray Rice debacle and the issues surrounding the settlement with retired players.

Except for those owners who realize they owe Kraft a HUGE debt of gratitude due the the additional BILLIONS of dollars he negotiated for THEM in both the new TV deal as well as the ratification of the new owner-slanted CBA. Some have said he saved football.by brokering the negotiation between the owners and players during the lockout.

Except for those owners who realize they owe Kraft a HUGE debt of gratitude due the the additional BILLIONS of dollars he negotiated for THEM in both the new TV deal as well as the ratification of the new owner-slanted CBA. Some have said he saved football.by brokering the negotiation between the owners and players during the lockout.

I know this is a common assertion from Pats fans.  One of those repeat it often enough and it might become the truth kind of things.  The fact of the matter is that we both know that there is simply no possible way of being able to tell what the TV revenues might have been had Kraft not been involved in the league.  None.  It might be more money it might be less money or it might be exactly the same and as such it is a fundamentally stupid argument right out of the gate.  Really, you need to save that one for Patsfans.com where it appears they can bring themselves to believe anything at all.

Plus the owners are all pretty much ridiculously wealthy form their other businesses or from inherited fortunes.  I am not saying they want to lose money in the NFL but for many/most of them the NFL is a toy they play with the same way Larry Ellison competes in Americas cup races.

Those other 31 owners are collectively going to want to remove this stench from the NFL because cheating is one of their number systematically stealing from the rest of them and thumbing his nose at them to boot.  If this investigation comes to anything then Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick will have provided them with the perfect political cover for that.  So sorry but we have to take harsh action in order to protect the integrity of the sport... or some such.  Bye bye Bob.

I know this is a common assertion from Pats fans.  One of those repeat it often enough and it might become the truth kind of things.  The fact of the matter is that we both know that there is simply no possible way of being able to tell what the TV revenues might have been had Kraft not been involved in the league.  None.  It might be more money it might be less money or it might be exactly the same and as such it is a fundamentally stupid argument right out of the gate.  Really, you need to save that one for Patsfans.com where it appears they can bring themselves to believe anything at all.

Plus the owners are all pretty much ridiculously wealthy form their other businesses or from inherited fortunes.  I am not saying they want to lose money in the NFL but for many/most of them the NFL is a toy they play with the same way Larry Ellison competes in Americas cup races.

Those other 31 owners are collectively going to want to remove this stench from the NFL because cheating is one of their number systematically stealing from the rest of them and thumbing his nose at them to boot.  If this investigation comes to anything then Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick will have provided them with the perfect political cover for that.  So sorry but we have to take harsh action in order to protect the integrity of the sport... or some such.  Bye bye Bob.

So now they are going to tell kraft to sell the team, guys if you think the pats winning the super bowl  was bad, wait til they win this stupid thing and then with the tampering charge against the jets. This board is going to be fun.

So now they are going to tell kraft to sell the team, guys if you think the pats winning the super bowl  was bad, wait til they win this stupid thing and then with the tampering charge against the jets. This board is going to be fun.

Spot on. And if somehow Revis ends up on the Jets again, the penalty is going to be HUGE. First rounder HUGE. This place will go nuts. Ray Ray and SG3 will look like objective. clear thinking adults by comparison.

Because you say so right?  :rl:

Do you really believe your own BS?

The owners are, for the most part, business men who are self made billionaires.  So outside the likes of coke hound Irsay, they are smart men.  They did not get to be billionaires by being dumb.  Yes, there are the DNA lottery winners (Davis, Woody and Irsay), but by and large they are very smart business men.  They are voted in the club by fellow smart businessmen.

If Kraft was inept at negotiating TV deals or maybe could not further the growth of the league, do you really think they would have allowed him to remain the head of the Broadcast committee?  There was a lot of turnover, but Kraft remained.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/10/21/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-Committees.aspx

During the labor negotiations, he was lauded for helping bring the two sides together and strike a deal so no games were lost.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?id=6801788

He has secured 1.8 billion per team for the life of the TV contract that runs through 2022. He also assisted in securing labor peace for the next decade when it was speculated they might actually miss games and ultimately money. 

Even if Belichick and Brady are lying out there ass, they have a high resolution video of this elderly man deflating the balls and Kraft sacrificing kittens, they are not getting rid of him like the NBA did with Sterling. 

jim-irsay-mug-03172014.jpg

If this guy can survive his DUI coke ride, Kraft will easily survive seeing he actually contributes to the league.

Because you say so right?  :rl:

Do you really believe your own BS?

The owners are, for the most part, business men who are self made billionaires.  So outside the likes of coke hound Irsay, they are smart men.  They did not get to be billionaires by being dumb.  Yes, there are the DNA lottery winners (Davis, Woody and Irsay), but by and large they are very smart business men.  They are voted in the club by fellow smart businessmen.

If Kraft was inept at negotiating TV deals or maybe could not further the growth of the league, do you really think they would have allowed him to remain the head of the Broadcast committee?  There was a lot of turnover, but Kraft remained.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/10/21/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-Committees.aspx

During the labor negotiations, he was lauded for helping bring the two sides together and strike a deal so no games were lost.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?id=6801788

He has secured 1.8 billion per team for the life of the TV contract that runs through 2022. He also assisted in securing labor peace for the next decade when it was speculated they might actually miss games and ultimately money. 

Even if Belichick and Brady are lying out there ass, they have a high resolution video of this elderly man deflating the balls and Kraft sacrificing kittens, they are not getting rid of him like the NBA did with Sterling. 

jim-irsay-mug-03172014.jpg

If this guy can survive his DUI coke ride, Kraft will easily survive seeing he actually contributes to the league.

More bullsh1t "logic".  Unlike you idiots  i do not claim to know what would have happened if Bob Kraft had not been involved in the TV deals.  What I say is that there is no way to know what would have happened.  None whatsoever.  The TV deals could have been even bigger for all anyone knows.  To give credit for that to one man is beyond ridiculous.  Pats fans are the ones who to a man are asserting that without Bob Kraft the revenues would have been lower and all I am saying if if you are the ones who are making that claim then at least provide one scintilla of evidence that it is true. 

I am waiting.

At some point New York politicians ended up getting rid of Sheldon Silver when even a month ago and for the last twenty years anyone who knew anything about NY politics would have told you such an outcome was simply not possible. 

At some point the other 31 owners are simnply going to get tired of the rotting stench coming from New England and they will decide to do something about it.  My guess is that it will be sooner rather than later.  Just imagine how reluctant the commissioner will have to be in public when he is forced to take real action against a multi-time offender and a personal friend.  Heck it might actually go a long way to restoring his reputation after the Ray Rice debacle and the issues surrounding the settlement with retired players.

The Pats come out like media darlings in all of this. Seattle with Baldwin taking a dumo in the end zone, Lynch refusing to say anything, Sherman constantly running his big mouth and the Seahawks starting a fight when it was over. The Seahawks make the Jets look like Altar Boys.

Kraft is going nowhere. Hes one of the most influential owners in the NFL.

More bullsh1t "logic".  Unlike you idiots  i do not claim to know what would have happened if Bob Kraft had not been involved in the TV deals.  What I say is that there is no way to know what would have happened.  None whatsoever.  The TV deals could have been even bigger for all anyone knows.  To give credit for that to one man is beyond ridiculous.  Pats fans are the ones who to a man are asserting that without Bob Kraft the revenues would have been lower and all I am saying if if you are the ones who are making that claim then at least provide one scintilla of evidence that it is true. 

I am waiting.

I am not one of those but why do you think the other owners voted him to head the committee, if they thought there was someone better or more qualified to do so?  Those Patriot fans are making the same assumption that the NFL owners did when they asked him to lead  the negotiations. 

To ask someone to provide evidence of something that never occurred (nfl getting less money during a hypothetical contract) is not an argument at all.   Even among men who are pretty much all leaders, there are leaders and Kraft is one of them.

All but a very few, Allen, Kronke and a few others, the NFL team is now thier biggest holding. The teams are worth 2 bill dollars now, 25 years ago I would have agreed with you. I mean Kraft bought the Pats for 22mill of his own money I think and borrowed the other 150 mill.

Illegal substitutions? What world do you live in? If you're talking about the eligible, ineligible play calls, they are perfectly legal and simply more evidence of BB's coaching superiority. If you're talking about the Solder TD which the refs should have thrown the flag. Blame the refs for blowing the call. Don't call that "cheating". Just shows your ignorance.

As to the balls. Funny, no one is quoting Rappaport's story that only ONE ball was 2# psi below. The others were very close.

Where did I say cheating? Listen, you think you know, but you don't know.

And yes, illegal substitutions are exactly what they were, as told by the VP of officiating. What difference does it make if it is called, it was illegal.

While we are talking about facts, Rappaport himself said on national radio that 11/12 were in fact deflated, ranging from 2lbs all the way to right under. Still under, not by much, but who cares because that's whats the Patriots set themselves up for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All but a very few, Allen, Kronke and a few others, the NFL team is now thier biggest holding. The teams are worth 2 bill dollars now, 25 years ago I would have agreed with you. I mean Kraft bought the Pats for 22mill of his own money I think and borrowed the other 150 mill.

Kraft married into "his own money"

The patriots specialize in espionage and winning football through espionage. They cheated and they should own up to it. People don't call Bill Belichick "Bill Belicheat" for no reason.

Doctoring the footballs is a little more tangible that simply espionage but your point is well taken.

I am waiting.

So your staying with the inane theory that there is no proof he makes the league money.  He is the head of the committee that is responsible for 33% of their 9 billion in revenues.  Yeah, lets keep the guy that may or may not be a competent negotiator.  Who has BS logic?

So your staying with the inane theory that there is no proof he makes the league money.  He is the head of the committee that is responsible for 33% of their 9 billion in revenues.  Yeah, lets keep the guy that may or may not be a competent negotiator.  Who has BS logic?

The product is responsible for 33% or league revenues.  The product, not Bob Kraft.

There is zero evidence to support the idea the the league is earning one penny more because of Bob Kraft.  If you or anyone has any such evidence then let them present it.  I am not the one claiming anything in this regard.  You and you fellow Pats fans are claiming he is personally responsible for higher TV contract revenues without a single shred of evidence to support this claim.

Capisce paisan?

The product is responsible for 33% or league revenues.  The product, not Bob Kraft.

There is zero evidence to support the idea the the league is earning one penny more because of Bob Kraft.  If you or anyone has any such evidence then let them present it.  I am not the one claiming anything in this regard.  You and you fellow Pats fans are claiming he is personally responsible for higher TV contract revenues without a single shred of evidence to support this claim.

Capisce paisan?

Kraft’s remarkable successes with both the Patriots and with his industrial businesses have given him tremendous sway both with other NFL owners and with league executives. In just the past few years his profile in the league has risen markedly. He serves on the NFL owners’ executive committee and four other committees, more than any other owner. As co-chair of the league’s powerful broadcasting committee, he takes an active role in negotiating the lucrative contracts that allow CBS, Fox, Comcast, ABC, and ESPN to televise NFL games. In 2006, Kraft’s support for Roger Goodell was influential in getting the new commissioner selected. “I view Bob like I do Lamar Hunt, one of the founders of the league,” says Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys. “I don’t know that we have anybody that today has made that kind of contribution to the NFL franchise.” In other words, in a league known for its swagger, no one has more clout these days than Bob Kraft.

http://fortune.com/2010/11/03/footballs-true-patriot/

Kraft’s remarkable successes with both the Patriots and with his industrial businesses have given him tremendous sway both with other NFL owners and with league executives. In just the past few years his profile in the league has risen markedly. He serves on the NFL owners’ executive committee and four other committees, more than any other owner. As co-chair of the league’s powerful broadcasting committee, he takes an active role in negotiating the lucrative contracts that allow CBS, Fox, Comcast, ABC, and ESPN to televise NFL games. In 2006, Kraft’s support for Roger Goodell was influential in getting the new commissioner selected. “I view Bob like I do Lamar Hunt, one of the founders of the league,” says Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys. “I don’t know that we have anybody that today has made that kind of contribution to the NFL franchise.” In other words, in a league known for its swagger, no one has more clout these days than Bob Kraft.

YEAH BUT....Can you PROVE that some other dingleberry couldn't do a better job? Huh, can YA?!

Or he was one of the members of the committee who negotiated new TV contracts during a time in history when the value of live sports content, especially content for this product was going to go through the roof no matter who was doing that job.  

I must have missed the part where there is some evidence that contract revenues are higher because of Kraft.  Could you point out where that is again?

You guys are making those assertions. It is not incumbent on anyone here to prove those are false.   I think it is incumbent upon you to support them with some evidence.  Or, is it as I suspect a case of repeat it often enough and loudly enough and maybe the world will take it to be true?

And Kraft made his money the old fashioned way, he married into his it.

Where did I say cheating? Listen, you think you know, but you don't know.

And yes, illegal substitutions are exactly what they were, as told by the VP of officiating. What difference does it make if it is called, it was illegal.

While we are talking about facts, Rappaport himself said on national radio that 11/12 were in fact deflated, ranging from 2lbs all the way to right under. Still under, not by much, but who cares because that's whats the Patriots set themselves up for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thee was a play that Solder scored on that a player did not declare him self ineligible on. 1 play out of the 7 or 8 times that the play was run.  If you think that in the history of the league that any foul did not occur that was not called by the refs during 8 plays between 22 players your nuts.

Kraft married into "his own money"

correct, he attended Brandies on a need based scholarship. While he was already what any of us here would consider successful before he got married, Myra's family had much more money, but even them were not a family that could ever purchase a team. I think her family financed the purchase of the box company that he grew his empire from.  

correct, he attended Brandies on a need based scholarship. While he was already what any of us here would consider successful before he got married, Myra's family had much more money, but even them were not a family that could ever purchase a team. I think her family financed the purchase of the box company that he grew his empire from.  

At what point in that personal history one wonders did his is penchant for cheating begin?

Or he was one of the members of the committee who negotiated new TV contracts during a time in history when the value of live sports content, especially content for this product was going to go through the roof no matter who was doing that job.  

I must have missed the part where there is some evidence that contract revenues are higher because of Kraft.  Could you point out where that is again?

You guys are making those assertions. It is not incumbent on anyone here to prove those are false.   I think it is incumbent upon you to support them with some evidence.  Or, is it as I suspect a case of repeat it often enough and loudly enough and maybe the world will take it to be true?

And Kraft made his money the old fashioned way, he married into his it.

If the other owners, think he was the best man to do the negotiations, is that not enough? If they thought someone else could do it as well, why would they ask the guy that you say they are pounding at the door with pitchforks to remove him.

If the other owners, think he was the best man to do the negotiations, is that not enough? If they thought someone else could do it as well, why would they ask the guy that you say they are pounding at the door with pitchforks to remove him.

You are arguing with a fan of a team that is owned by Woody Johnson.

Probably a waste of time.

When he decided that he wanted to become rich :winking0001:

I have no doubt on that score.

But still no evidence to support your collective assertions.  I think you guys really need to stop making those assertions or at the very least put an asterisk or something next to them so that people know that they are not exactly 100% legit ;)

We put Jimmy Carter and Richard Nixon in charge of the country for Christ sake.   Just because the man occupies that chair does not mean he is the best man to occupy the chair.

Again, some evidence please.  Even one scintilla of evidence that the contract money is higher because of Kraft.

You are arguing with a fan of a team that is owned by Woody Johnson.

Probably a waste of time.

Has anybody on these boards held up Woody Johnson as some kind of an example of good ownership or good management? Anyone at all?

No, I didn't think so. And what can we conclude from that?  Perhaps we can conclude that the NY Jets fan base here does not walk around with rose colored glasses carrying unreasonably positive evaluations about the owner of our team.  Unlike some other fan bases.

Really TX this is pretty weak sauce you have been bringing here.

We put Jimmy Carter and Richard Nixon in charge of the country for Christ sake.   Just because the man occupies that chair does not mean he is the best man to occupy the chair.

Again, some evidence please.  Even one scintilla of evidence that the contract money is higher because of Kraft.

Because you can not answer a hypothetical question. No matter how many times you pose it.  How do you prove something that never occurred. And don't equate the business acumen of 32 highly successful (a few of which just geneticaly)  businessmen with a populace that is swayed by joe the plumber

Because you can not answer a hypothetical question. No matter how many times you pose it.  How do you prove something that never occurred. And don't equate the business acumen of 32 highly successful (a few of which just geneticaly)  businessmen with a populace that is swayed by joe the plumber

EXACTLY!

Thank you.  I am so happy that you have finally seen the light.

You cannot prove a hypothetical so please just stop and tell all of your friends to just stop ASSERTING that hypothetical as if it had some basis in fact.

It does not.

"Kraft was on the negotiation committee during a period when TV revenues increased greatly".  This is a statement of fact

"Kraft personally made more money for the owners than they would have made otherwise".  This is a bullsh1t assertion with no basis in fact.  This is the kind of over reach to which we are objecting here.  There is no way to prove it or to even support it so just stop saying it please. 

EXACTLY!

Thank you.  I am so happy that you have finally seen the light.

You cannot prove a hypothetical so please just stop and tell all of your friends to just stop ASSERTING that hypothetical as if it had some basis in fact.

It does not.

The fact is that the others owners think that he is! Theirs is the only opinion that matters.  For you to say that any one of them could do just as good a deal flies in the face of the actuality that the owners vote. Money is near and dear to thier hearts, if they did not think he was the best man, why ishe there?

I assume you have the best guy you know do your taxes and your investments or do you go to the yellow pages?

The fact is that the others owners think that he is! Theirs is the only opinion that matters.  For you to say that any one of them could do just as good a deal flies in the face of the actuality that the owners vote. Money is near and dear to thier hearts, if they did not think he was the best man, why ishe there?

I assume you have the best guy you know do your taxes and your investments or do you go to the yellow pages?

I have a guy to do my taxes.  There are plenty of guys.  Mine is pretty good.  There is zero reason for me to believe that plenty of other guys could not do just as well as he does.

Good analogy.

And once again until I am blue in the face here.... Pats fans are the ones making wild over the top assertions about how Bob Kraft personally put money into the pockets of the other owners as if nobody else could have done just as well or even better.  I am sorry but you are the ones making the claim and all I am saying is please provide some proof.

Or put an asterisk by the claim.

I have a guy to do my taxes.  There are plenty of guys.  Mine is pretty good.  There is zero reason for me to believe that plenty of other guys could not do just as well as he does.

Good analogy.

And once again until I am blue in the face here.... Pats fans are the ones making wild over the top assertions about how Bob Kraft personally put money into the pockets of the other owners as if nobody else could have done just as well or even better.  I am sorry but you are the ones making the claim and all I am saying is please provide some proof.

Or put an asterisk by the claim.

Whether or not you or I share the same opinion as the owners, the owners believe he is the best man to get them the most money. the patriot fans here are just agreeing with the owners. If they thought there was another guy who could have gotten 1% more they would have him lead the team.   

Archived