ESPN at war with Pats?

AFJF

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And that is all it is, accusations.

Of course opposing teams cry, whine and accuse the Pats of anything they can think of because they have been getting their asses kicked by the Pats for 14 years now.

But doesn't it offend your sense of rational probability that multiple teams reported having experienced the same kind of radio transmission interruptions but only when playing the Patriots?  Just how widespread is this conspiracy of complainers who are making stuff up out of whole cloth just to make the Pats look bad?

And you accuse others of being part of the tinfoil beanie crowd. Now that is funny

And this post has to be near the very top in terms of being historically disingenuous.

TAPING is against the rules whereas eyeballing is not.  TAPING is against thew rules because it confers an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE on those who engage in it.  It confers and UNFAIR ADVANTAGE because it permits the team who is doing the TAPING to study those tapes offline and after the fact.  Up in the booth, etc.  Therefore patterns and other subtle information which may go undetected to the naked eye is suddenly as clear as day when you have the chance to look over and over again possibly in slow motion.

If nothing else TAPING permits you to work backwards from the outcome and then go and see the signals which led to that outcome.  That is why it is CHEATING and why eyeballing is not.

These things are well understood by everyone (including you) which is why TAPING was made against the rules and why the Patriots were deliberately CHEATING when they decided to go ahead and make TAPES anyway.

They did it because it helped them to win games just the same way that they doctored the footballs used by their offense and in all likelihood the same way that they interfered with radio signals in their stadium as a way to give their own team an unfair advantage.   The only people who disagree with this are either intellectually dishonest or stupid.

If you are going to go off on rants like this, at least learn the rules.

Taping opposing teams in the NFL is perfectly legal.

If you are going to go off on rants like this, at least learn the rules.

Taping opposing teams in the NFL is perfectly legal.

Not under all circumstances.  Not under the circumstances that the Pats were found to have been taping.  So no, the taping to which you refer was never the subject under discussion and in fact is nothing but a low quality deflection.

And all of my downstream points about the ability to analyze, re-analyze and and time shift on the video record is the reason why such taping was made against the rules in the first place. 

BTW your point is like saying that "walking out of a store with merchandise is not illegal" when the actual subject under discussion is theft from a store 

Exactly, and dude is being a tool about it right now. I've seen people get banned from this site for less. 

Actually he is fighting the good fight as much as it is possible.  I think the set of facts he has to work with are just not very helpful to his case.

No stories online from what I can see but heard this morning on WFAN.  I did notice the on-field postgame situation with Sal Pal and what was apparently a Pats exec that was pulling a player away from him.  Apparently Kraft is upset at ESPN reporting the facts on deflategate and telling players/team not to speak to them.

haha cry baby patriots

Actually he is fighting the good fight as much as it is possible.  I think the set of facts he has to work with are just not very helpful to his case.

I'll disagree with "the good fight" part. Its one thing to hold a position as a fan of an opposing team. Its another to say that "Jet fans as a fan base have the greatest excuses of any team in the NFL" when all i've seen from Pats fans since Spygate are excuses on how nothing would have changed if they didnt spy on other teams...yet they were in fact cheating. And they're doing the exact same thing today with deflation gate when they know the point that no matter a close win or a blowout, its an unfair advantage and its against the rules of the game. 

Defending them is one thing, coming into a thread with bullsh*t like "Another Pats Thread" and making it seem like Jets fans are bitter towards this team for no reason, knowing that he's antagonizing people that are pretty pissed by the cheating and favoritism this team gets is not fighting the good fight, its being a f'ing a$$hole. 

Mike, fact is, no matter the outcome , they cheated, AGAIN. Sad really, all they do is bring unwanted attention to themselves.

Come on Al, when, and if, the investigation provides concrete evidence that the Pats were directly involved, I will agree with you the Pats cheated.

Until then, it's nothing but pure speculation.

Come on Al, when, and if, the investigation provides concrete evidence that the Pats were directly involved, I will agree with you the Pats cheated.

I have tried to stay away from this, BUT, why would anyone else but someone associated with the Pats tamper with the balls?

yeah..like the NFL will tarnish the billion dollar empire known as the NFL.

they cheated, have cheated numerous times and have no respect for fair competition.

Bellicek is a total scumbag and Brady is not far behind.

Not under all circumstances.  Not under the circumstances that the Pats were found to have been taping.  So no, the taping to which you refer was never the subject under discussion and in fact is nothing but a low quality deflection.

And all of my downstream points about the ability to analyze, re-analyze and and time shift on the video record is the reason why such taping was made against the rules in the first place. 

BTW your point is like saying that "walking out of a store with merchandise is not illegal" when the actual subject under discussion is theft from a store 

Again, just an utter disregard, or at least misunderstanding, of the facts and rules. As TX pointed out, the act of taping (and later reviewing, analyzing, etc.) is NOT illegal. Just can't do it from the sidelines. In fact, teams are REQUIRED by league rules to tape every play, plus the scoreboard for down and distance, for every game. There is no rule that a team cannot tape coaches signals. They just have to do it from an approved location.

Again, just an utter disregard, or at least misunderstanding, of the facts and rules. As TX pointed out, the act of taping (and later reviewing, analyzing, etc.) is NOT illegal. Just can't do it from the sidelines. In fact, teams are REQUIRED by league rules to tape every play, plus the scoreboard for down and distance, for every game. There is no rule that a team cannot tape coaches signals. They just have to do it from an approved location.

So, the Pats were in fact illegal in what they were doing. ok.

So the Pats have a "history" of doing something with no evidence that they are doing something but there is no doubt they did something?

Got it.

No doubt whatsoever.  The New England Patriots as a franchise is the equivalent of a culture of deceit, lying, cheating, bending rules as far as possible until they break and hopes that they won't be caught.  Even if there's no rule, the Pats choose to do the unethical thing (i.e. snowplow clearing a patch of field for game winning TD in a blizzard giving the Pats an advantage the other team couldn't have.) Worse, even when caught nowadays, this cesspool of an organization you cheer has full confidence that if and when caught, the Commissioner can be intimidated by his good buddy Kraft.  What a mess.  The Patriots organization is indeed the NFL's overflowing toxic nightmare.  

Indeed. But the difference between my version, and most here, is similar to the difference between going 65 in a 55 mph zone vs. first degree murder. Both are illegal. Sure.

No, it's like like going 100 mph in a 55 past a police station, minutes after getting let off with a warning.

Indeed. But the difference between my version, and most here, is similar to the difference between going 65 in a 55 mph zone vs. first degree murder. Both are illegal. Sure.

Well, what neither of us know, is exactly what the NFL found that they taped, and what they did with it.

We can assume, by the amount that they were docked, that the NFL, at the very least found that it gave the Patriots a competitive advantage. 

According to the memo Goodell sent to all teams in July 2007, yes, the Pats violated the rules by still taping from the sidelines.

I would like for just one Jets fan, or any fan of the NFL, to explain what would be different from taping from the sidelines versus taping from the end zone or pressbox.  Does taping from the sidelines give the Pats some sort of competitive advantage????? 

Spygate is nothing more than BB's total arrogance and disregard for authority.  He thinks he is above everyone else.

That's what pissed me off.

No doubt whatsoever.  The New England Patriots as a franchise is the equivalent of a culture of deceit, lying, cheating, bending rules as far as possible until they break and hopes that they won't be caught.  Even if there's no rule, the Pats choose to do the unethical thing (i.e. snowplow clearing a patch of field for game winning TD in a blizzard giving the Pats an advantage the other team couldn't have.) Worse, even when caught nowadays, this cesspool of an organization you cheer has full confidence that if and when caught, the Commissioner can be intimidated by his good buddy Kraft.  What a mess.  The Patriots organization is indeed the NFL's overflowing toxic nightmare.  

America's team?

According to the memo Goodell sent to all teams in July 2007, yes, the Pats violated the rules by still taping from the sidelines.

I would like for just one Jets fan, or any fan of the NFL, to explain what would be different from taping from the sidelines versus taping from the end zone or pressbox. Does taping from the sidelines give the Pats some sort of competitive advantage?????

Spygate is nothing more than BB's total arrogance and disregard for authority. He thinks he is above everyone else.

Cheater

Yes, they were 100% percent wrong in taping the defense from the sideline.  BB was a stubburn jerk, like the smartest kid in the class, that thought the words "for use during the game" as a shield. He found out that the NFL is not a court of law and using legalese as a defense cost the pats a pick and him 1/2mill dollars. . 

What gets fans riled up is that the reporting that they were "stealing signals" and that they were "spying"  and the other teams did not know.  The camera was the size of case of beer and the guy was out in front.  Every team in the league got the memo the same 3 times that the memo was issued. People act as if one one guy calls in the signals, when most teams use 3 or 4 and that teams change signals at 1/2 time.  But they rather think that Ernie Adams can somehow pick what guy is the guy who is actually giving the signal and what that signal means during a 1/2 of play.

I would like for just one Jets fan, or any fan of the NFL, to explain what would be different from taping from the sidelines versus taping from the end zone or pressbox.  Does taping from the sidelines give the Pats some sort of competitive advantage????? 

Spygate is nothing more than BB's total arrogance and disregard for authority.  He thinks he is above everyone else.

One can only assume that it did give them a competitive advantage. Why do it otherwise? To blatantly thumb their nose at authority?

That would be patently stupid. What about taping Rams walkthrough?

You can be sure, with what they were fined, that there was some damning evidence. Otherwise, if the BB was this arrogant SOB that is doing things to be obstinate, they would have filed an appeal.

Yes, they were 100% percent wrong in taping the defense from the sideline.  BB was a stubburn jerk, like the smartest kid in the class, that thought the words "for use during the game" as a shield. He found out that the NFL is not a court of law and using legalese as a defense cost the pats a pick and him 1/2mill dollars. . 

What gets fans riled up is that the reporting that they were "stealing signals" and that they were "spying"  and the other teams did not know.  The camera was the size of case of beer and the guy was out in front.  Every team in the league got the memo the same 3 times that the memo was issued. People act as if one one guy calls in the signals, when most teams use 3 or 4 and that teams change signals at 1/2 time.  But they rather think that Ernie Adams can somehow pick what guy is the guy who is actually giving the signal and what that signal means during a 1/2 of play.

If Patriots thought that they were rooked in the judgement that they were served, they should have appealed.

Funny thing is, they didn't.

One can only assume that it did give them a competitive advantage. Why do it otherwise? To blatantly thumb their nose at authority?

That would be patently stupid. What about taping Rams walkthrough?

You can be sure, with what they were fined, that there was some damning evidence. Otherwise, if the BB was this arrogant SOB that is doing things to be obstinate, they would have filed an appeal.

Kraft asked BB directly what advantage it gave the Pats and BB said "not one advantage" and then called BB stupid.  Which he was.

Seriously, taping the Rams walkthrough????

That never happened, it was a fabricated story from the Boston Herald, which they then offerred a full page apology saying it never happened:

On Feb. 2, 2008, the Boston Herald reported that a member of the New England Patriots’ video staff taped the St. Louis Rams’ walkthrough on the day before Super Bowl XXXVI. While the Boston Herald based its Feb. 2, 2008, report on sources that it believed to be credible, we now know that this report was false, and that no tape of the walkthrough ever existed.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2008/05/apology

Wednesday, May 14, 2008
By:

On Feb. 2, 2008, the Boston Herald reported that a member of the New England Patriots’ video staff taped the St. Louis Rams’ walkthrough on the day before Super Bowl XXXVI. While the Boston Herald based its Feb. 2, 2008, report on sources that it believed to be credible, we now know that this report was false, and that no tape of the walkthrough ever existed.

Kraft asked BB directly what advantage it gave the Pats and BB said "not one advantage" and then called BB stupid.  Which he was.

Seriously, taping the Rams walkthrough????

That never happened, it was a fabricated story from the Boston Herald, which they then offerred a full page apology saying it never happened:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2008/05/apology

Wednesday, May 14, 2008
By:

Really, you say that BB is stubborn, and then you believe him when he says taping was "no advantage"? You expect to have it both ways?

If Patriots thought that they were rooked in the judgement that they were served, they should have appealed.

Why would the Pats appeal?

There was concrete video evidence that the Pats were still taping from the sidelines after the memo came out.  They were caught red-handed with their fingers in the cookie jar.

Why would the Pats appeal?

There was concrete video evidence that the Pats were still taping from the sidelines after the memo came out.  They were caught red-handed with their fingers in the cookie jar.

Appeal the penalty, as being blatantly excessive. Much like players do.

Are you telling me that the crime gave the Pats no competitive advantage? Would you say the penalty was heavy?

The pats did not think that they were rooked, they were caught red handed. And what "appeal" are you talking about. there is no Appeal on team matters.  Was BB surprised at the punishment, you bet.

The pats did not think that they were rooked, they were caught red handed. And what "appeal" are you talking about. there is no Appeal on team matters.  Was BB surprised at the punishment, you bet.

You can appeal any decision, just like the Saints did. 

If the Pats did not think they were rooked with such a heavy penalty, then they felt the penalty was justified. And it signifies a strong admittance to gaining a competitive advantage.

No other way to look at it.

Appeal the penalty, as being blatantly excessive. Much like players do.

Are you telling me that the crime gave the Pats no competitive advantage? Would you say the penalty was heavy?

First it is not a "crime", no more than Alosi and the jets Special teams sticking out their feet and one that had less direct game impact.  Till this day not one person has determined what advantage could be gained from taping from that location. And as I said in the previous post, teams and HC coaches do not have appeal rights. Goddell is law.  Only players have rights.

Now, I also said last week that I believe that Kraft will sue in court to overturn any penalty that comes from evidence that would not hold up in a court.    By that I mean any game ball deflation that could not be simulated in a lab, and of course disregarding the ball that the colts had access to. 

Archived