An In-Depth Look: Quarterback Mike Glennon

Villain The Foe

He shows that exactly in his games that I watched. The guy is a pocket passer, he always keeps his eyes down the field to complete a pass and I have not once seen him get flustered and have the pressure from the Dline impact his game. The guy seems to live in the pocket.

In three years time people are going to be surprised by what he develops into if he's able to get out of Tampa and with a team that is genuinely interested in him and his success.

I agree. The guy isn't Brady but he's way better than scrubs like Matt Moore and Colt McCoy.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has officially gotten really creepy.

Why's it so creepy?  Because the OP is actually providing solid evidence (game tape) to back up his opinions?

Oh yeah, in depth analysis.... that's so creepy.  In depth analysis gives me nightmares when i sleep.  So creepy.

Why's it so creepy?  Because the OP is actually providing solid evidence (game tape) to back up his opinions?

Oh yeah, in depth analysis.... that's so creepy.  In depth analysis gives me nightmares when i sleep.  So creepy.

Have you tried a night light?

I agree. The guy isn't Brady but he's way better than scrubs like Matt Moore and Colt McCoy.

Exactly. The guy rarely makes mental mistakes on the field and for every INT he commits he throws 2 TD's....for a career average. And he's doing this with arguably the sh_ttiest offensive line in the league and the 4th worst rushing team in the NFL to depend on. I couldn't even tell you the last Jets QB to average a 2-to-1 TD/INT ratio in their career. The last Jet QB to average that for a season was Chad Pennington in 2002. 

People who are down on this kid dont know what they're talking about and haven't watched him play. I've heard people say that they'd rather give Geno another shot. Glennon in the 6 games (that Tampa didnt even want him to play) this season had two games where he threw for over 300 yards, in 30 games Geno Smith has thrown for over 300 yards 3 times.

People are not really calling for Matt Moore but the fact is he's been a topic of conversation. Glennon has been in the league for two years, played in 19 games and has thrown 29TD's to just 15 INT's. Matt Moore's been in the league 7 years, yet only played in 40 games and has thrown 33 TD's and 28 INT's. Fitzpatrick 10 year career numbers show us that he's pretty much destined to throw an INT for every TD and Ryan Mallett's been in the league 4 seasons, played a total of 7 games thrown a total of 79 passes completing just over 50% while throwing for a career total of 400 yards with 2 TD's and 3 INT's....and people are actually considering this guy. Meahwhile, Glennon has thrown 10X the amount of yards Mallett has thrown in half the amount of years that Mallet has been in the league, has a that 2/1 TD ratio that none of these QB's have and people are catching fits that we may have to actually give up a 4th or 3rd rounder for him? lol. We should be RUNNING to Tampa trying give away that 3rd round pick for this guy because that would make him the best QB we've had on this team since Favre's one year and Pennington's Jet career, and we'd be getting him for less money than Geno Smith going and in his 3rd year in the league. 

The decision to get a deal done is a no-brainer. Im not saying to mortgage the draft, people are getting super possessive about these picks and If Im correct we dont have a single player on the Jets team today that was drafted before 2011 besides D'Brick and Mangold, and you have to go all the way back to 2006 for them which means we've jerked our draft picks away for years. Getting a QB that shows his type of potential is worth a 3rd rounder. Odds are we would blow the pick in the draft any way. Why not try to solidify the QB position with talent that you can actually evaluate on a pro level? 

I know us though, we'll probably pass on Glennon and some ironic sh*t like the bills throwing a 3rd rounder to Tampa and they trade him to Rex and the Bills dominate the division for the next 10 years. 

Haven't read every post and not saying he's the answer but do people realize the cluster F the Bucs Offense was in during the season with their OC having a heart attack and a green QB Coach being forced into the OC role.

http://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/tampa-bay-buccaneers-marcus-arroyo-healthy-parting-011915

Most people who say that Glennon is trash never actually watched a Tampa Bay game, they're simply going the popularity route.

Most people who say that Glennon is trash never actually watched a Tampa Bay game, they're simply going the popularity route.

To be fair, this is how most fans come to conclusions about players IMO.  They recall the few blurbs they've seen written or a sportscenter highlight and that's what they use to draw their conclusions. Not all mind you, but many.

To be fair, this is how most fans come to conclusions about players IMO.  They recall the few blurbs they've seen written or a sportscenter highlight and that's what they use to draw their conclusions. Not all mind you, but many.

Certainly. Its enough to generalize. 

This is why after watching all his games and hearing what I've heard from people about Glennon I can only conclude that they didnt watch his games, because if they did they wouldnt be uttering those statements because they're obviously false.

Mike Glennon: Ball Placement and Accuracy (Part 1)

I will be showing some examples from Mike Glennon's worst statistical games (Total QB Rating) as a rookie (Bills) and second year player (Browns) in order to show his improvement in ball placement and accuracy.  

Glennon Vs. Bills 2013

Some may wonder why I separated Ball Placement and Accuracy. This example below shows the difference. As we can see in this example, Glennon has the arm strength to get the ball to the WR with ease, however the ball placement doesnt give the WR a great chance to make a play. The ball is an accurate one. If the WR was running down the field by himself this ball would be caught in stride. The problem is the placement of the ball. Glennon leads the ball to the inside shoulder of the receiver where the defender is, giving Gillmore an opportunity at an INT. To Gillmore's credit, this is outstanding man coverage and he's in the WR's hip pocket throughout the route. However, if Glennon is willing to attempt this throw then he has to play the boundary and make that throw to the receivers outside shoulder, giving his receiver the advantage, and at worst its an incomplete pass instead of a potential pick. 

Glennon%20incomplete.gif

This play is a superb effort on Glennons part in regards to ball placement, accuracy and zip. Unfortunately the TD was called back because Jackson's left heal was just out of bounds but its a great play nonetheless. 

Here you have Glennon in the redzone facing a 3 man rush make just a perfect strike in between 2 defenders and right over the head of a 3rd defender to hit Vincent Jackson right in the eyes, giving him an easy target to look at. The ball is accurate...right to the eyes of the WR, its placed in the only spot that it can be for a completion given the Bills defender attempting to undercut the pass, and to add, its perfect timing because that throwing lane closed up quick with 3 defenders around the ball. The rookie Glennon makes just an elite throw to the back of the end zone right here.

Glennon%20TD%20reversed.gif

Mike Glennon: Drops 

Many people who have considered Mike Glennon not to be the answer to our problems have used his stats as a reason. One of the more common reasons heard is Glennon's stats in relation to his "Top Targets" (Vincent Jackson, Mike Evans, Seferian Jenkins). There's some truth to this, Jackson and Evans have made some great catches, especially Jackson. But with that said, over the past 2 seasons (Evans this season) Glennon's targets have simply dropped passes. They had the 12th highest amount of drops in the league this past year. Here are some of the drops that have influenced Glennon's stats. 

After a penalty on the offensive line Vincent Jackson drops a pass that hit him right in the stomach on 1st and 20. 

Vincent%20Jackson%20Drop%202.gif

Mike Evans drops ball on simple slant route on 2nd and 14.

Mike%20Evans%20Drop%201.gif

Vincent Drops a 9 yard pass on 1st and 10.

Vincent%20Jackson%20Drop%201.gif

Wright drops a game tying TD in the back of the end zone in the 4th qtr.

TD%20Drop.gif

1st and 10, Fullback drops the pass

More%20Drops.gif

2nd and 10 (Same Drive) WR drops a 12 yard pass right in the hands. 

drop%20pass%202nd%20and%2010.gif

3rd and 10 (Same drive) Vincent Jackson catches the ball but fumbles (refs review and reverse the fumble as down by contact)

Jackson%201st%20down.gif

I hope everyone noticed that this these clips are all from the same game, and these aren't even all the drops that occurred in the game. Glennon ended the game completing 21 of 42 for 302 yards and a 50% completion rate, but there were at least 7 drops that I counted in his game including a TD. There was one drive where Glennon had drops on 1st down, 2nd down and on 3rd and long Vincent Jackson makes the grab but fumbles the ball, when under review the refs called him down by contact right before he fumbled. 

This thread is truly dumb. On no planet is Glennon a better QB than Geno. He is just not very talented. If you are looking for a purely hold the fort extremely limited game manager, with no ability to win a game on his, with no upside at all, Glennon is your guy. And yes I have watched him play many of his starts in the NFL.

Many people who have considered Mike Glennon not to be the answer to our problems have used his stats as a reason. One of the more common reasons heard is Glennon's stats in relation to his "Top Targets" (Vincent Jackson, Mike Evans, Seferian Jenkins). There's some truth to this, Jackson and Evans have made some great catches, especially Jackson. But with that said, over the past 2 seasons (Evans this season) Glennon's targets have simply dropped passes. They had the 12th highest amount of drops in the league this past year. Here are some of the drops that have influenced Glennon's stats. 

After a penalty on the offensive line Vincent Jackson drops a pass that hit him right in the stomach on 1st and 20. 

TD%20Drop.gif

More%20Drops.gif

3rd and 10 (Same drive) Vincent Jackson catches the ball but fumbles (refs review and reverse the fumble as down by contact)

Jackson%201st%20down.gif

I hope everyone noticed that this these clips are all from the same game, and these aren't even all the drops that occurred in the game. Glennon ended the game completing 21 of 42 for 302 yards and a 50% completion rate, but there were at least 7 drops that I counted in his game including a TD. There was one drive where Glennon had drops on 1st down, 2nd down and on 3rd and long Vincent Jackson makes the grab but fumbles the ball, when under review the refs called him down by contact right before he fumbled. 

Good job man...doing stuff like this is time consuming so much appreciated.

This thread is truly dumb. On no planet is Glennon a better QB than Geno. He is just not very talented. If you are looking for a purely hold the fort extremely limited game manager, with no ability to win a game on his, with no upside at all, Glennon is your guy. And yes I have watched him play many of his starts in the NFL.

Yes, if you're willing to completely dismiss in-game results  against NFL defenses, Geno is much better...just look at what he did in college.

If this thread lowers your IQ you can certainly find another thread. No need to leave these type of remarks here given that you have nothing to contribute.

Mike Glennon: Ball Placement and Accuracy (Part 2)

Now that we've seen an example from Glennon in his worst statistical game in his rookie year, lets look at the throws from Glennon's worst statistical game in his 2nd year. What will be apparent is not only the location that Glennon is placing the football, but also the touch on the ball and his ability to throw receivers open with his ball placement. 

Mike Glennon Vs. Browns 2014

1st and 10, ball placed right on the back shoulder for a 20+ yard gain

1.gif

2nd and 8, Glennon throws Evans open leading him away from the defender but Evans drops the pass. 

2.gif

2nd and 4, Glennon placing ball onto Evans outside shoulder taking the defender out of the play. TOUCHDOWN. 

5.gif

Here's another view. Notice how Evans has to position his body away from the defender in order to make the catch. 

6.gif

1st and 10, playing the boundary line with Vincent Jackson for a 20 yard gain. 

3.gif

1st and 10. Glennon waits for Evans double move then throws him the ball leading him away from the safety over top, not only keeping the safety out of the play but also giving his receiver time to brace for any hits by the safety in order to protect himself.

9.gif

2nd and 6, Defender is playing off on Evans, Evans hits him with a move before running straight out. Glennon throws a ball leading him to the sideline and Evans drops it. However, as you can see, if Evans doesnt come up with the catch then its simply an incompletion, the defender isn't even relevant in the play given Glennon's ball placement.

7.gif

2nd and 6 4th qtr. Glennon uses touch on the ball in order to direct Evans where he wants him to be, throwing him open an away from the 2 defenders for a 20+ yard gain. The refs unfortunately called this an incomplete pass. Notice how Evans starts his route by the numbers but the ball leads him over to the sideline. Glennon here shows the ability to use the entire field by way of anticipation, touch and moving his targets around on the board as if it was Chess.

8.gif

However, upon further review we see that not only did Glennon provide a perfect pass that only his WR could get, but Evans gets both feet down. This should have been a completion but instead the Bucs ended up punting the ball and losing the game. 

10.gif

So as we can see, Glennon seems to have progressed as a passer and not only began to throw the football between the defender and the boundary line, but the ball placement and touch many times takes the defender out of the play...and this is from a 2nd year QB in his 2nd offensive system with an organization that isn't investing in him as they should.

As a side note, Glennon was 17 of 33 for 260 yards and a 51.5% completion rate, however the Bucs receivers dropped about 5 passes in this game and the refs got it wrong on that 20 yard reception to Evans in the 4th qtr. 

When you say we need to sign a washed up wife beater to be our featured running back you lose credibility. Sorry

This is precisely why I stopped paying mind to you guys. You'd have a better chance of showing me how Ray Rice career is similar to Michael Vicks than you are showing me where I said on this board that we need to bring in Ray Rice as our featured running back. 

When you find that quote from me, make sure you respond and show me...but do me a favor and leave it in the correct thread. You dont need to follow me from thread to thread arguing about things you think I said. 

Mike Glennon: Ball Placement and Accuracy (Part 1)

I will be showing some examples from Mike Glennon's worst statistical games (Total QB Rating) as a rookie (Bills) and second year player (Browns) in order to show his improvement in ball placement and accuracy.  

Glennon Vs. Bills 2013

Some may wonder why I separated Ball Placement and Accuracy. This example below shows the difference. As we can see in this example, Glennon has the arm strength to get the ball to the WR with ease, however the ball placement doesnt give the WR a great chance to make a play. The ball is an accurate one. If the WR was running down the field by himself this ball would be caught in stride. The problem is the placement of the ball. Glennon leads the ball to the inside shoulder of the receiver where the defender is, giving Gillmore an opportunity at an INT. To Gillmore's credit, this is outstanding man coverage and he's in the WR's hip pocket throughout the route. However, if Glennon is willing to attempt this throw then he has to play the boundary and make that throw to the receivers outside shoulder, giving his receiver the advantage, and at worst its an incomplete pass instead of a potential pick. 

Glennon%20incomplete.gif

This play is a superb effort on Glennons part in regards to ball placement, accuracy and zip. Unfortunately the TD was called back because Jackson's left heal was just out of bounds but its a great play nonetheless. 

Here you have Glennon in the redzone facing a 3 man rush make just a perfect strike in between 2 defenders and right over the head of a 3rd defender to hit Vincent Jackson right in the eyes, giving him an easy target to look at. The ball is accurate...right to the eyes of the WR, its placed in the only spot that it can be for a completion given the Bills defender attempting to undercut the pass, and to add, its perfect timing because that throwing lane closed up quick with 3 defenders around the ball. The rookie Glennon makes just an elite throw to the back of the end zone right here.

Glennon%20TD%20reversed.gif

I want to start of by saying, this stuff is definitely time consuming and taking the time together to put everything together is much appreciated.  I don't quite agree with your sentiment that Glennon is the answer long term, but I do like you took the time to put evidence behind your logic.  Sadly, that's not really the norm on many boards.   

Anyway, my viewpoint in it, is that the difference between Geno and Glennon are negligible enough that I don't think he's worth the draft pick he's going to cost.  And I'll use these gifs as example as to why he's not that great.  

The first gif, he has one on one coverage on the outside to both WRs here, with the safety in the middle.  However, the WR to the top is more open than the WR at the bottom and has separation.  So this isn't a progressive read, it was a if it's one on one, throw it up read.  And the decision to throw is terrible, because the CB has inside position on the WR, and he throws it to the inside.  He had a much better chance of completing this pass if he progresses away from his first read.  However, in most likely hood, this was a "If it's man coverage" throw it up to our play maker call, but that's a luxury we don't have.  This is the difference between having guys that can absolutely beat you one on one like Jackson/Evans can instead of the guys we have.  I think this play in itself and the audacious throw to a guy that is well covered for a one on one play shows the issue we have at WR.  Any QB we have, can't throw this ball up.  Maybe Decker, but even that is pushing it.  Harvin isn't winning jumping battles down the field, neither is Kerley, or any of our lesser WRs.   

Second one is a good throw, and catch.  However, it's a much better catch and landing than a throw, so I think this play is made more by the WR than the QB.  

TD%20Drop.gif

More%20Drops.gif

Jackson%201st%20down.gif

Same as before:

1st gif:  It's a one read throw, and right into triple coverage.  The ball gets there, but that is a risky throw.  He has a much easier throw on the outside, when the CB is playing back on man coverage.

2nd gif:  I'm not sure why this would be a good play on Glennon's effort, even if he completes this pass.  At best this is a 4 yard completion on 2 and 14, and the defense is letting Evans go in front of them for short yardage, so they can bring up 3rd and 10.  

3rd gif: That's a great throw, WR shoud've caught it.  

4th gif:  That's a terrible throw, he has the separation on his defender and no one in front of him, since the outside WR is running a short slant route.  He leads him straight, and it's an easy TD.  Why did he throw behind him and have him adjust when it was a fine linear lane there for him to throw in?  

5th gif:  Under pressure, makes a throw in traffic to a guy not used to catching as much, and the best case scenario there is a 2 yard gain.  I'm not sure why this would be a good throw even if completed.  

6th gif:  A very good throw, WR should've caught it.  

7th gif:  A very good throw.  

I understand that you are more likely trying to show the dropped passes, but a few of them aren't really plays where Glennon made great decisions.  The mindset of a QB is vastly different when he has playmakers out there that can win 50/50 balls.  We don't have that.  I think there will be a regression if he comes here, at which point I don't think the draft pick is going to be worth the upgrade that Glennon may or may not provide.  

If this was in a vacuum and we could pick Glennon and Geno to be in a competition, I'd be all for it.  But Glennon plus 2nd rd pick isn't worth it over Geno, IMO.  

I want to start of by saying, this stuff is definitely time consuming and taking the time together to put everything together is much appreciated.  I don't quite agree with your sentiment that Glennon is the answer long term, but I do like you took the time to put evidence behind your logic.  Sadly, that's not really the norm on many boards.   

Anyway, my viewpoint in it, is that the difference between Geno and Glennon are negligible enough that I don't think he's worth the draft pick he's going to cost.  And I'll use these gifs as example as to why he's not that great.  

The first gif, he has one on one coverage on the outside to both WRs here, with the safety in the middle.  However, the WR to the top is more open than the WR at the bottom and has separation.  So this isn't a progressive read, it was a if it's one on one, throw it up read.  And the decision to throw is terrible, because the CB has inside position on the WR, and he throws it to the inside.  He had a much better chance of completing this pass if he progresses away from his first read.  However, in most likely hood, this was a "If it's man coverage" throw it up to our play maker call, but that's a luxury we don't have.  This is the difference between having guys that can absolutely beat you one on one like Jackson/Evans can instead of the guys we have.  I think this play in itself and the audacious throw to a guy that is well covered for a one on one play shows the issue we have at WR.  Any QB we have, can't throw this ball up.  Maybe Decker, but even that is pushing it.  Harvin isn't winning jumping battles down the field, neither is Kerley, or any of our lesser WRs.   

Second one is a good throw, and catch.  However, it's a much better catch and landing than a throw, so I think this play is made more by the WR than the QB.  

Same as before:

1st gif:  It's a one read throw, and right into triple coverage.  The ball gets there, but that is a risky throw.  He has a much easier throw on the outside, when the CB is playing back on man coverage.

2nd gif:  I'm not sure why this would be a good play on Glennon's effort, even if he completes this pass.  At best this is a 4 yard completion on 2 and 14, and the defense is letting Evans go in front of them for short yardage, so they can bring up 3rd and 10.  

3rd gif: That's a great throw, WR shoud've caught it.  

4th gif:  That's a terrible throw, he has the separation on his defender and no one in front of him, since the outside WR is running a short slant route.  He leads him straight, and it's an easy TD.  Why did he throw behind him and have him adjust when it was a fine linear lane there for him to throw in?  

5th gif:  Under pressure, makes a throw in traffic to a guy not used to catching as much, and the best case scenario there is a 2 yard gain.  I'm not sure why this would be a good throw even if completed.  

6th gif:  A very good throw, WR should've caught it.  

7th gif:  A very good throw.  

I understand that you are more likely trying to show the dropped passes, but a few of them aren't really plays where Glennon made great decisions.  The mindset of a QB is vastly different when he has playmakers out there that can win 50/50 balls.  We don't have that.  I think there will be a regression if he comes here, at which point I don't think the draft pick is going to be worth the upgrade that Glennon may or may not provide.  

If this was in a vacuum and we could pick Glennon and Geno to be in a competition, I'd be all for it.  But Glennon plus 2nd rd pick isn't worth it over Geno, IMO.  

thanks for the feedback. glennon isnt the best qb, but i think he has to ability to be a middle of the pack qb right now and a top 10 qb in the future. basically, i think he is more than a stop gap, i think the jets can win meaningful football games for the next 7 to 10 years with glennon at qb.

Archived