An In-Depth Look: Quarterback Mike Glennon

Villain The Foe

Mike Glennon: Ball Placement and Accuracy (Part 1)

I will be showing some examples from Mike Glennon's worst statistical games (Total QB Rating) as a rookie (Bills) and second year player (Browns) in order to show his improvement in ball placement and accuracy.  

Glennon Vs. Bills 2013

Some may wonder why I separated Ball Placement and Accuracy. This example below shows the difference. As we can see in this example, Glennon has the arm strength to get the ball to the WR with ease, however the ball placement doesnt give the WR a great chance to make a play. The ball is an accurate one. If the WR was running down the field by himself this ball would be caught in stride. The problem is the placement of the ball. Glennon leads the ball to the inside shoulder of the receiver where the defender is, giving Gillmore an opportunity at an INT. To Gillmore's credit, this is outstanding man coverage and he's in the WR's hip pocket throughout the route. However, if Glennon is willing to attempt this throw then he has to play the boundary and make that throw to the receivers outside shoulder, giving his receiver the advantage, and at worst its an incomplete pass instead of a potential pick. 

Glennon%20incomplete.gif

This play is a superb effort on Glennons part in regards to ball placement, accuracy and zip. Unfortunately the TD was called back because Jackson's left heal was just out of bounds but its a great play nonetheless. 

Here you have Glennon in the redzone facing a 3 man rush make just a perfect strike in between 2 defenders and right over the head of a 3rd defender to hit Vincent Jackson right in the eyes, giving him an easy target to look at. The ball is accurate...right to the eyes of the WR, its placed in the only spot that it can be for a completion given the Bills defender attempting to undercut the pass, and to add, its perfect timing because that throwing lane closed up quick with 3 defenders around the ball. The rookie Glennon makes just an elite throw to the back of the end zone right here.

Glennon%20TD%20reversed.gif

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Glennon: Ball Placement and Accuracy (Part 2)

Now that we've seen an example from Glennon in his worst statistical game in his rookie year, lets look at the throws from Glennon's worst statistical game in his 2nd year. What will be apparent is not only the location that Glennon is placing the football, but also the touch on the ball and his ability to throw receivers open with his ball placement. 

Mike Glennon Vs. Browns 2014

1st and 10, ball placed right on the back shoulder for a 20+ yard gain

1.gif

2nd and 8, Glennon throws Evans open leading him away from the defender but Evans drops the pass. 

2.gif

2nd and 4, Glennon placing ball onto Evans outside shoulder taking the defender out of the play. TOUCHDOWN. 

5.gif

Here's another view. Notice how Evans has to position his body away from the defender in order to make the catch. 

6.gif

1st and 10, playing the boundary line with Vincent Jackson for a 20 yard gain. 

3.gif

1st and 10. Glennon waits for Evans double move then throws him the ball leading him away from the safety over top, not only keeping the safety out of the play but also giving his receiver time to brace for any hits by the safety in order to protect himself.

9.gif

2nd and 6, Defender is playing off on Evans, Evans hits him with a move before running straight out. Glennon throws a ball leading him to the sideline and Evans drops it. However, as you can see, if Evans doesnt come up with the catch then its simply an incompletion, the defender isn't even relevant in the play given Glennon's ball placement.

7.gif

2nd and 6 4th qtr. Glennon uses touch on the ball in order to direct Evans where he wants him to be, throwing him open an away from the 2 defenders for a 20+ yard gain. The refs unfortunately called this an incomplete pass. Notice how Evans starts his route by the numbers but the ball leads him over to the sideline. Glennon here shows the ability to use the entire field by way of anticipation, touch and moving his targets around on the board as if it was Chess.

8.gif

However, upon further review we see that not only did Glennon provide a perfect pass that only his WR could get, but Evans gets both feet down. This should have been a completion but instead the Bucs ended up punting the ball and losing the game. 

10.gif

So as we can see, Glennon seems to have progressed as a passer and not only began to throw the football between the defender and the boundary line, but the ball placement and touch many times takes the defender out of the play...and this is from a 2nd year QB in his 2nd offensive system with an organization that isn't investing in him as they should.

As a side note, Glennon was 17 of 33 for 260 yards and a 51.5% completion rate, however the Bucs receivers dropped about 5 passes in this game and the refs got it wrong on that 20 yard reception to Evans in the 4th qtr. 

Mike Glennon: Drops 

Many people who have considered Mike Glennon not to be the answer to our problems have used his stats as a reason. One of the more common reasons heard is Glennon's stats in relation to his "Top Targets" (Vincent Jackson, Mike Evans, Seferian Jenkins). There's some truth to this, Jackson and Evans have made some great catches, especially Jackson. But with that said, over the past 2 seasons (Evans this season) Glennon's targets have simply dropped passes. They had the 12th highest amount of drops in the league this past year. Here are some of the drops that have influenced Glennon's stats. 

After a penalty on the offensive line Vincent Jackson drops a pass that hit him right in the stomach on 1st and 20. 

Vincent%20Jackson%20Drop%202.gif

Mike Evans drops ball on simple slant route on 2nd and 14.

Mike%20Evans%20Drop%201.gif

Vincent Drops a 9 yard pass on 1st and 10.

Vincent%20Jackson%20Drop%201.gif

Wright drops a game tying TD in the back of the end zone in the 4th qtr.

TD%20Drop.gif

1st and 10, Fullback drops the pass

More%20Drops.gif

2nd and 10 (Same Drive) WR drops a 12 yard pass right in the hands. 

drop%20pass%202nd%20and%2010.gif

3rd and 10 (Same drive) Vincent Jackson catches the ball but fumbles (refs review and reverse the fumble as down by contact)

Jackson%201st%20down.gif

I hope everyone noticed that this these clips are all from the same game, and these aren't even all the drops that occurred in the game. Glennon ended the game completing 21 of 42 for 302 yards and a 50% completion rate, but there were at least 7 drops that I counted in his game including a TD. There was one drive where Glennon had drops on 1st down, 2nd down and on 3rd and long Vincent Jackson makes the grab but fumbles the ball, when under review the refs called him down by contact right before he fumbled. 

True but it holds more weight with a specific turd, like Mike Glennon.

I'm a big Glennon fan to be honest...but this QB situation is just a disaster.  Gotta' get it fixed this off-season.

What makes you a "big" Glennon fan?  Other than he's not Geno Smith?

Much like Jay Bilas is obsessed with "length", I think people are obsessed with a 6-5 QB with decent arm strength.  That's all I keep hearing about him from the pro-Glennon crowd. 

But when you ask about pocket presence, accuracy, and the fact that this year he got to throw to Vincent Jackson AND Mike Evans (you know, the guy who made Johnny Manziel look good in college), that same crowd goes silent.

Much like Jay Bilas is obsessed with "length", I think people are obsessed with a 6-5 QB with decent arm strength.  That's all I keep hearing about him from the pro-Glennon crowd. 

But when you ask about pocket presence, accuracy, and the fact that this year he got to throw to Vincent Jackson AND Mike Evans (you know, the guy who made Johnny Manziel look good in college), that same crowd goes silent.

And yet the Bucs still had the 31st best passing offense in the league. The Jets were 26th FWIW.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

What makes you a "big" Glennon fan?  Other than he's not Geno Smith?

I saw him play a few games in college and came away impressed.  I was hoping the Jets would take a flier on him if he lasted past round two.  Obviously they didn't, but I watched him when I could in Tampa and I liked what I saw.

He was smart with the football and for a rookie, did a damn good job against the Legion of Boom...2 TD's and no turnovers going 17-23.

Better than 2/1 TD/INT ratio with a comp. pct of 59% as a rookie on a team that didn't have a great running game was enough to sell me.

Dude got screwed last season finding out he was benched when he heard it reported on the radio.  For whatever reason, Lovie Smith didn't like him at all.  What HC has a rookie QB who showed that much promise and doesn't even allow him to compete for the job the following season?  Terrible job by TB with this kid.

The fact that he's not Geno Smith doesn't hurt either.

I saw him play a few games in college and came away impressed.  I was hoping the Jets would take a flier on him if he lasted past round two.  Obviously they didn't, but I watched him when I could in Tampa and I liked what I saw.

He was smart with the football and for a rookie, did a damn good job against the Legion of Boom...2 TD's and no turnovers going 17-23.

Better than 2/1 TD/INT ratio with a comp. pct of 59% as a rookie on a team that didn't have a great running game was enough to sell me.

Dude got screwed last season finding out he was benched when he heard it reported on the radio.  For whatever reason, Lovie Smith didn't like him at all.  What HC has a rookie QB who showed that much promise and doesn't even allow him to compete for the job the following season?  Terrible job by TB with this kid.

The fact that he's not Geno Smith doesn't hurt either.

Fair enough...at least you're not completely in the..he's tall, has a big arm and isnt Geno Smith category.  However, his stats are totally misleading.  Do a deeper dive and you'll see that he's atrocious until his team is down and they're playing catch up vs. some prevent fluff garbage D's.

Just look at his splits stats.  I know the kid is young but all you need to know about his game can be founds looking at his stats when the game is tied or they're above...its terrible.  But when they're behind...he's o.k.   3rd down?  He completes 45% of his passes.  The other stat is his passes over 10 yards. 38% between 10-20. 52% from 21-30.

The one stat I see that I like is his redzone efficiency.  While his completion % is low, he's 13-1 TD vs. INT in the RedZone.  That's solid. He was even better the year before in the RedZone and some off his stats were slightly better from 2013.  But its pretty consistent that he's really doing most his damage in garbage time. 

Fair enough...at least you're not completely in the..he's tall, has a big arm and isnt Geno Smith category.  However, his stats are totally misleading.  Do a deeper dive and you'll see that he's atrocious until his team is down and they're playing catch up vs. some prevent fluff garbage D's.

Just look at his splits stats.  I know the kid is young but all you need to know about his game can be founds looking at his stats when the game is tied or they're above...its terrible.  But when they're behind...he's o.k.   3rd down?  He completes 45% of his passes.  The other stat is his passes over 10 yards. 38% between 10-20. 52% from 21-30.

The one stat I see that I like is his redzone efficiency.  While his completion % is low, he's 13-1 TD vs. INT in the RedZone.  That's solid. He was even better the year before in the RedZone and some off his stats were slightly better from 2013.  But its pretty consistent that he's really doing most his damage in garbage time. 

Interesting stuff...I might watch a few of those games myself.

Interesting. Does he do it well or is he just an average ball sucker? What would like him to do more of?

Matt Moore is very good at giving head. That's why he'll be riding pine next season and the season after that and after that until he's forced to go to the arena league

Archived