The return of Trader Mike

JetsFanInDenver

You are admitting the JETS overpaid. Rest is you justifications for overpaying him.

They overpaid a linebacker on the wrong side of 30. Age where players tend to lose their edge and generally have more problems staying on the field. Now that is signed up I hope none of that happens atleast for the next 3 years.

Overpaying is nothing to trivialize with snarky comments. No team got the BIG prize by overpaying. The first extension out of this new regime worries me. I just hope its not the start of a trend of everything they do from here on.

Now if they overpay Harris what would WIlkerson's extension look like ? I would be concerned. Now if they sign up WIlkerson for a great deal I will give them the props they deserve. But right now i am concerned.

I admit no such thing until you show me that neither Rex nor Miami would have offered Harris as much. But even if the Jets paid a few million extra, you fail to acknowledge the legit reasons why it is justified. The faulty analogy to Wilk is laughable as well. Different positions, different stages of their respective careers and different supply and demand out there for those positions.

I get that you're "concerned". But if you apply a little logic to your analysis, you can easily understand the deal and appreciate that it is reasonable in this case.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bleh. I'm not in love with Harris or the contract, but I'm willing to give the new guys a bit of a honeymoon. They obviously felt that Harris was too important to them to let him hit free agency. I reserve the right to revisit this contract if/when I hate this regime in the future. For now, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Fair enough I'm trying to talk myself into it, but it's tough, especially in light of the Marshall move, which I hate.

I admit no such thing until you show me that neither Rex nor Miami would have offered Harris as much. But even if the Jets paid a few million extra, you fail to acknowledge the legit reasons why it is justified.

Who the eff cares what Rex does. The JETS have to do what's best for them. Period.

If Rex or the Phags want to overpay for a 30 year plus linebacker let them do just that.

The JETS have to do what's best for them. Period.

and they did just that. Harris' value on and off the field for the next two years was worth what they spent considering there is no equivalent alternate or better on the roster now or available in free agency .  Within 2 years, we should hope the Jets find his successor, and if via draft, groom him to start by 2017.

This was not a bad move by the FO that you suggest it to be.

All Cutler needs is some more time!

- every host all day err day

Back when the Bears traded for Marshall, some queefstain on WSCR went on this weird racially coded rant about how the Bears were smart for ignoring provincial concerns like "character" (scare quotes very much implied) and getting a big thoroughbred stud. Yesterday he praised the Bears for "shipping a wife-beater out of our fair city." #BEARSSS

So Mccags gave Harris a about $3 - $4 million more in guarantees than Harris probably would have obtained on the market ( even more from Rex probably).

I admit no such thing until you show me that neither Rex nor Miami would have offered Harris as much. But even if the Jets paid a few million extra, you fail to acknowledge the legit reasons why it is justified.

You atleast need to be consistent in what you say. Even per you the JETS overpaid. You admitted it in the first post itself. Stop justifying that overpaid contract. No team won a Super Bowl overpaying their linebackers.

I don't like that contract. Period.

So it's not Tannenbaum but Maccagnan. But it sure feels like the Tannenbaum era.

After a couple of seasons of those boring. deliberate, value based moves, suddenly once again the excitement in the back in the air, turbo charged forced trades which did not need to be made, in which the draft picks are the acceptable casualty AND on top of that existing players being overpaid so they sign back with the team.

Atleast based on the first two major moves of the Maccagnan era we see so many similarities to those bygone days. Maybe you cannot blame him. What else do you do when the owner made the previous guy a scapegoat and ran him away out of town for making deliberate and value based moves. And i not being absolving the previous GM of his mistakes in the draft but i did expect a whole bunch of what i am seeing today and it does not surprise me.

Problem is if this continues then there is no way in heck we have a team that has the chance to contend for the BIG prize. Once again. Period.

We have cap space, and we have needs. We had cap space last year and had cap space. Trader Mike would have gotten us Revis and DeSean. Idzik got us Dexter and Percy, both for a combined total of 8 games while Revis won a ring and Desean had another 1k season.

Archived