The return of Trader Mike

JetsFanInDenver

It wouldn't be ideal, and wouldn't be my preference either, I freely admit.

With that said, Mariota > Smith.

So it wouldn;t be a great decision, but it would improve the team.  

/shrug, we're all going to just have to deal with what the new regime wants, when it comes to QB.

Literally the only advantage that Mariota has over Geno is that Mariota seems to be mentally tougher. Mariota is a little faster, but that's meaningless. As far as being a pure passer, Mariota couldn't stand on the same field as Geno.

What if they buy in on Mariota, but he sits for the entire season? Odds are this team won't be picking top 6 again next year and your Connor Cooks of the world will be gone.  Mariota might be the best QB the Jets will have the opportunity to acquire for a couple of years.

Burn the six on Mariota, then stash him on the bench until Marshall is 33, Decker is 29, Harris, Ferguson, and Mangold are toast? No thanks.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow just checked his stats. He really regressed last year and could not even stay on the field for the entire season. Got 61 receptions. 2014 Chicago Bears 13 61 721 11.8 55.5 47 8 5 4 41 1

He didn't regress? He caught 8 TDs with 720 yards missed 3 games while playing through injury the whole year. Marshall is gonna be fine

Literally the only advantage that Mariota has over Geno is that Mariota seems to be mentally tougher. Mariota is a little faster, but that's meaningless. As far as being a pure passer, Mariota couldn't stand on the same field as Geno.

Burn the six on Mariota, then stash him on the bench until Marshall is 33, Decker is 29, Harris, Ferguson, and Mangold are toast? No thanks.

So then you expect to win the super bowl this year or next? with what QB exactly?  Do you pass up on Connor Cook next year because our skill position players and offensive line will be too old to develop with him?  If Mariota has starting QB potential, you draft him and continue to build around him.  I was far from his biggest fan, but he's quite possibly the best QB we'll have a chance at acquiring for a while.  

So then you expect to win the super bowl this year or next? with what QB exactly? Do you pass up on Connor Cook next year because our skill position players and offensive line will be too old to develop with him? If Mariota has starting QB potential, you draft him and continue to build around him. I was far from his biggest fan, but he's quite possibly the best QB we'll have a chance at acquiring for a while.

I don't live my life this way and neither should you.

I don't live my life this way and neither should you.

Don't lie to me. If a hard 7 walked up to you right now, you take her, you're not waiting around for a 10.  F*ck it, I just don't feel like watching Geno Smith or f*cking Jake Locker play another season for us, regardless of who he's throwing the ball to. 

Don't lie to me. If a hard 7 walked up to you right now, you take her, you're not waiting around for a 10. F*ck it, I just don't feel like watching Geno Smith or f*cking Jake Locker play another season for us, regardless of who he's throwing the ball to.

I only rank women as a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10.

While I agree the Jets have a need and my hope is that the new GM learns that while moves need to be made and free agents signed it makes no sense to sell the farm to try to win today while not preparing for tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

add to that the fact that we had no one to replace him in the MIKE. Time to groom a replacement over the next 2 seasons. Slow as frozen sh*t he is, but #52 can tackle, apply pressure, stuff the run and provide leadership.

I nominate this as best post of the day ... plus he is a home grown Jet !

You're definitely right about that but does Bowles have a viable immediate replacement that's worth a fuk?  I don't see him on the roster yet.  If ever a home team bonus payment makes sense, it is now.  Maccagnan needs to draft prospects for Harris' successor pretty damned soon.  He's already one of the slowest ILB in the league, but he's still one of their best tacklers and really good against the run.  Major liability in any form of coverage.  But he is the leader out there and that definitely adds value.  I'm fine with it but reserve the right to make fun of his lack of speed.  

Is it possible that Bowles asks Harris to get his playing weight down into the 240 range and work on his speed?

Rex loved his LB being Huge... Bowles seems to like them leaner and quicker.

As some others stated... let's see how Bowles uses him and how Harris responds.

add to that the fact that we had no one to replace him in the MIKE.  Time to groom a replacement over the next 2 seasons.  Slow as frozen sh*t he is, but #52 can tackle, apply pressure, stuff the run and provide leadership.

And add to the fact that we denied our Divisional Rival and former HC his field General who will help him with installing his defense and making the right calls at the LOS.

That's big!

"

There are a lot of moving parts in Rex's defense.... if we can cause their defense to play a little more tentatively because they have to train up their signal caller to understand Rex's defensive calls, then all the better.

I like Harris and I like the signing

Not sure if this was supposed to be a thread bashing the new regime in comparison to Idzik, but Maccagnan basically got the fourth that Idzik was happy to give away for Harvin, and got a better pure receiver for a fifth. Looks to me like he's bracing for Geno to continue to start, and wanted to get him a big, reliable target.

You are comparing an inseason trade with an offseason trade. It's a very false equivalency.

Right now with the number of WR's available in the FA market and the strong draft class, it's a buyer's market.

As for Harris, I've expected him back all along, although the number is higher than I expected. Not ready to put up a billboard just yet.

That is usually what makes a contract  a bad one.

I got a ton of replies so let me summarize.

As far as i can recall not many defend the Harris super expensive extension. Which is really the most baffling move of the day.

I know a lot of you are excited about Marshall. But in a buyer's market where there are a lot of FA's available with a very deep draft class at that position it's not the most optimal move. Why give a 5th for a guy hitting 30 with ankle issues of late. Now that he is in Green and White I really hope the move work's out but it's not an optimal move by a far shot. Also i hope this does not prevent us from drafting a WR in the top 3 rounds.

The man has addressed a need with a talented PROVEN player for a pittance of a draft pick which resolves a CERTAIN TEAM NEED & allows further flexibility & less pressure so as to draft the BPA - Offense or Defense- at #6 overall in the 1st round.

These are not the days of Trader Mike (who I was a fan of up until his 2011 & 2012 antics) but shows that we have a KEEN GM who has the wherewithal who can:

1) Acquire a #1 WR talent for a 5th round pick

2) NOW have the latitude to CUT Harvin @ $10M salary &'still have a PLAYMAKER @ WR

3) KEEP the 4th rounder we could have lost due to the Harvin trade

4) RECOUP $3M in CAP SPACE by this Net effect of this trade

5) REALIZES MARSHALL SURPASSES ANYONE DRAFTEDMIN THE 5th ROUND IN 2015 by the NY JETS

6) addresses a need on offense that now alleviates pressure to POSSIBLY OVERDRAFT/REACH for Amari Cooper or White @#6

7) gives us the BIG WR we've lacked since MeShawn

8) does to prevent us from drafting a WR early (within first 3 rounds) but have IMMEDIATE production from a Vet

APRUEBO DE ESTE INTERCAMBIO!!!!!!!!!

The man has addressed a need with a talented PROVEN player for a pittance of a draft pick which resolves a CERTAIN TEAM NEED & allows further flexibility & less pressure so as to draft the BPA - Offense or Defense- at #6 overall in the 1st round.

These are not the days of Trader Mike (who I was a fan of up until his 2011 & 2012 antics) but shows that we have a KEEN GM who has the wherewithal who can:

1) Acquire a #1 WR talent for a 5th round pick

2) NOW have the latitude to CUT Harvin @ $10M salary &'still have a PLAYMAKER @ WR

3) KEEP the 4th rounder we could have lost due to the Harvin trade

4) RECOUP $3M in CAP SPACE by this Net effect of this trade

5) REALIZES MARSHALL SURPASSES ANYONE DRAFTEDMIN THE 5th ROUND IN 2015 by the NY JETS

6) addresses a need on offense that now alleviates pressure to POSSIBLY OVERDRAFT/REACH for Amari Cooper or White @#6

7) gives us the BIG WR we've lacked since MeShawn

8) does to prevent us from drafting a WR early (within first 3 rounds) but have IMMEDIATE production from a Vet

9) contract has no negative ramifications of cutting Marshall next year if it doesn't work out.

APRUEBO DE ESTE INTERCAMBIO!!!!!!!!!

Added an extra one that I think is pretty important.

Ah...we can afford that. Why not. it's not like there is a cap on these things. Its not like we could use the money to shore up another position. The amount we can spend is infinite.

Gotta love snide posters.  No one said or even implied what you describe in bold above.  So Mccags gave Harris a about $3 - $4 million more in guarantees than Harris probably would have obtained on the market ( even more from Rex probably).  What you are not acknowledging in your snide post is that there is nobody viable on the Jets roster to replace Harris this year.  Obviously, drafting a replacement will take a year or two to develop and start.  The only other way is to sign a 3-4 inside LB to replace him via free agency.  There were probably no candidates right now out there that Maccags felt were as good

Keeping Harris allows the Jets time to draft and develop his successor and maintain stability and leadership on the defense.  The Jets are not cap strapped this year nor will they be next year.  With all the extra cap space the Jets have, Guaranteeing Harris $15 million instead of say, $11 or $12 million for the next two years is acceptable.  

Gotta love snide posters.  No one said or even implied what you describe in bold above.  So Mccags gave Harris a about $3 - $4 million more in guarantees than Harris probably would have obtained on the market ( even more from Rex probably).  What you are not acknowledging in your snide post is that there is nobody viable on the Jets roster to replace Harris this year.  Obviously, drafting a replacement will take a year or two to develop and start.  The only other way is to sign a 3-4 inside LB to replace him via free agency.  There were probably no candidates right now out there that Maccags felt were as good

Keeping Harris allows the Jets time to draft and develop his successor and maintain stability and leadership on the defense.  The Jets are not cap strapped this year nor will they be next year.  With all the extra cap space the Jets have, Guaranteeing Harris $15 million instead of say, $11 or $12 million for the next two years is acceptable.

Thank you for explaining it out so the simple-witted plebs can understand "The Big Picture"

. +1

I don't post here often anymore, but...

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent poat  were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

This for sure. I am now sorry I woke up this morning and read this thread. Unbelievable.

Harris would've arguably been the top ILB a on the market, and like you said in another post, would've likely been sought after by Rex and Tanny within the division. We should wait and see what other ILBs make this cycle before declaring this to be a terrible contract.

Harris would've arguably been the top ILB a on the market, and like you said in another post, would've likely been sought after by Rex and Tanny within the division.

This isn't an argument in favor of the contract. The only outcome better than getting rid of Harris is the Bills or Fins being dumb enough to hand him $15mm guaranteed.

This isn't an argument in favor of the contract. The only outcome better than getting rid of Harris is the Bills or Fins being dumb enough to hand him $15mm guaranteed.

Bleh. I'm not in love with Harris or the contract, but I'm willing to give the new guys a bit of a honeymoon. They obviously felt that Harris was too important to them to let him hit free agency. I reserve the right to revisit this contract if/when I hate this regime in the future. For now, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

You are admitting the JETS overpaid. Rest is you justifications for overpaying him.

They overpaid a linebacker on the wrong side of 30. Age where players tend to lose their edge and generally have more problems staying on the field. Now that is signed up I hope none of that happens atleast for the next 3 years.

Overpaying is nothing to trivialize with snarky comments. No team got the BIG prize by overpaying. The first extension out of this new regime worries me. I just hope its not the start of a trend of everything they do from here on.

Now if they overpay Harris what would WIlkerson's extension look like ? I would be concerned. Now if they sign up WIlkerson for a great deal I will give them the props they deserve. But right now i am concerned.

Archived