Brock Osweiler

Sperm Edwards

I don't know anything about him as a player other than he hasn't played and he was once a 2nd round draft pick of Denver's right after they signed Peyton Manning. Also he's tall.

I only bring him up because he has only one year left on his rookie contract and Denver's not going to use him in this final contract year. Next year Denver has to make a larger commitment to him or let him go for nothing. I don't know what they'd ask, or how much they value him, or if he's any good. His only (somewhat) real NFL action was playing the 2nd half of the last game of the 2013 season, against 4-win Oakland's non-existent pass defense (and entered the game with a 31-0 lead). 

I know it's FA time now, but I just thought of him for the first time in a while. I don't have any clue what Denver would ask, if they even were willing to deal him at all.

Can anyone comment on what he was like in college? Presumably he wasn't terrible, and Denver has made no effort to replace him as Manning's backup. Denver also didn't give him work against live action even in the 4 games when they had late 3-4 TD leads (or more).  But they also weren't yet itching to finally go to him either if Manning wanted to play another season.

He certainly should have learned some things, holding Manning's clipboard for 3 years. Anyone care to enlighten me (or others) on what they once thought of him as a prospect?

I don't have any insight on him. Just a general observation that if a player had even a remote shot at being good, watching Peyton for a few years would have to increase your odds of success.

Can anyone comment on what he was like in college?

Physically stacks with anyone, didn't start enough games in college - only one full season, was really hot going into the draft and considered a steal for the Broncos (by me, I assume everyone agrees).

I am under the impression that he's lined up to get the Broncos' job after Manning leaves. If he's available then the Jets should go get him. That's as good a QB talent available this offseason without the first overall pick. Wanted to draft him in 2012 anyway.

Doubt Chan would want him. From what I've heard and seen is that Chan prefers shorter more mobile QB's, experienced, smart, with a quick release. Guys like Matt Moore, Geno Smith, Mariota would fit the bill I guess. Osweiler is the exact opposite. Tall, slow delivery, extremely raw. Same reason why I don't think Mallet or Glennon would be a good fit here in Chan's system. But who knows what type of QB Chan is looking for. If he feels like a tall pocket passer would be a good fit then I say go for it and grab one of those that might be available via trade.

Doubt Chan would want him. From what I've heard and seen is that Chan prefers shorter more mobile QB's, experienced, smart, with a quick release. Guys like Matt Moore, Geno Smith, Mariota would fit the bill I guess. Osweiler is the exact opposite. Tall, slow delivery, extremely raw. Same reason why I don't think Mallet or Glennon would be a good fit here in Chan's system. But who knows what type of QB Chan is looking for. If he feels like a tall pocket passer would be a good fit then I say go for it and grab one of those that might be available via trade.

wut

Physically stacks with anyone, didn't start enough games in college - only one full season, was really hot going into the draft and considered a steal for the Broncos (by me, I assume everyone agrees).

I am under the impression that he's lined up to get the Broncos' job after Manning leaves. If he's available then the Jets should go get him. That's as good a QB talent available this offseason without the first overall pick. Wanted to draft him in 2012 anyway.

So you mean to tell me that Denver is doing what 95% of the NFL no longer does, attempt to develop a QB? 

So you mean to tell me that Denver is doing what 95% of the NFL no longer does, attempt to develop a QB? 

Yeah. Have the convenience of developing a QB on the sideline while Peyton Manning in the meantime starts for them and rewrites record books. No one else seems to be doing that anymore. Everyone needs to draft a QB and develop him while Peyton Manning removes all sense of urgency in starting the kid because he's passing for 5500 yards and 55 TDs in a single season and taking them to the superbowl (4700 yards and 39 TDs/15 INTs being the down season where he's "screwing up" in relative terms).  No one does this anymore. We should totally do this. How stupid of us, this whole time.

Please get on a plane within the hour, and fly back over here for 5 minutes, so I can sarcastically insult you in person. 

Where do you come up with this crap?

Yeah. Have the convenience of developing a QB on the sideline while Peyton Manning in the meantime starts for them and rewrites record books. No one else seems to be doing that anymore. Everyone needs to draft a QB and develop him while Peyton Manning removes all sense of urgency in starting the kid because he's passing for 5500 yards and 55 TDs in a single season and taking them to the superbowl (4700 yards and 39 TDs/15 INTs being the down season where he's "screwing up" in relative terms).  No one does this anymore. We should totally do this. How stupid of us, this whole time.

Please get on a plane within the hour, and fly back over here for 5 minutes, so I can sarcastically insult you in person. 

The NY Jets had Mark Sanchez and could have drafted Geno Smith and developed him. They instead decided on throwing him into the starting mix and 2 years later we have some who are convinced that we should now take Mariota and start him. Philly looks like they're willing to move up to get their starting QB which is also Mariota and trading Foles. Tampa is willing to draft a QB with the #1 pick in this years draft and that position isn't even the problem, on top of the fact that Mike Glennon's numbers after 2 years with no faith from the organization/HC or a decent Oline are respectable. 

Most organizations are no longer willing to sit a guy for at least a year, yet when they throw rookies into the mix and the 1st year or 2 look like what they should look like (rookies/2nd year players) then they're pushed aside for another rookie. There's no margin for error anymore, and with that, no development. You dont need Peyton Manning to develop a QB. Some would say "Well you can't tank a season by letting some generic QB start while you sit your rookie QB on the bench" yet year after year we see team after team drafting rookies, starting them, not succeeding and then moving on to the next rookie...not just tanking a season but a generation. A commentator on the NFL network said it best, "Teams now want microwave QB's, guys who can produce right now. They no longer want to put them in the oven and really cook them". 

Yes, its great to have a Peyton Manning or a Eli Manning so you can develop a guy like Osweiler or Nassib, but you dont need that caliber of talent if you want to develop a QB. If we drafted Mariota for example then Geno Smith would be the starter this year no doubt, because I would be serious about finding an answer to the position. If I was Tampa I would be trading out of the 1st pick in order to stock up on Olinemen and give a guy like Glennon the shot that he's shown he's deserved. 

I may have said the statement a little "nonchalantly" but I think we can agree that there's some truth to the statement. 

Anyone care to enlighten me (or others) on what they once thought of him as a prospect?

Here is an archived profile.

STRENGTHS

Brock is a tall, strong-armed quarterback that has the size and athletic talent to play more than one position at the NFL level.  He works from a shot gun formation in a run/pass option offensive system.  He shows on film to have excellent accuracy to go along with his strong arm and nice speed to be a threat running the ball.  Brock has the ability to make all the throws needed to be a starting quarterback for the team that drafts him and does well in the pocket when under pressure.  He gets rid of the ball quickly and can throw on the run with solid accuracy.  Brock has excellent starting quarterback talent for the NFL. 

CONCERNS

Brock is very young on the field.  He does not read defenses, will throw into coverage, and makes bad decisions even when he has time in the pocket.  In general, Brock is a long ways away mentally from being able to start a 16 game NFL schedule.  Right now, I'm not sure if Brock takes what he learns in practice onto the field on game day.  He is stubborn, struggles to lead and throws every throw the same way -- like it's a fast ball.  He drops down and throws the ball sidearm on short throws; his mechanics overall are very sloppy and inconsistent.  He will have to prove he can play under center and perform when he is under pressure, which won't happen in his workouts and Juniors cannot be invited to the Senior Bowl or shrine games; therefore, teams may not be able to evaluate his skills in this area other than watching tape.

BOTTOM LINE

I'm not convinced that Brock's intangibles and ability to lead an NFL team are anything but average; however, he is a fiery type of quarterback and I do like that part.  Right now, he is better athletically than most of his competition, but against Boise St he was confused big time and struggled to keep it together and be a leader for his team.  In his defense, he is young and new to the quarterback position that requires more than athletic talent to be successful.  He did not have very good coaching, and was in an offensive system that did not require him to think;  therefore, he did not bother.  I'm not suggesting he is not a smart kid as I think he probably is, but his athletic talent and the situation he was in has stunted his mental growth.  If Brock has good workouts he could be drafted in the first round.  After all, Joe Flacco (QB Ravens) came out of Delaware and got drafted in the first round!  I wouldn't draft Brock in the first round personally, but I can see a team or two thinking his talent and potential is too much to pass on and reach for him.  My thinking about Brock is that he needs a full NFL contract under his belt to learn what is required of him to be a starting quarterback at the NFL level.  He can back up and learn because he has enough athletic talent to win a game or two if your starting QB gets injured.  If you draft him too early and throw him on the field, I believe he will learn as he goes, but I also think you are asking too much of him.  In my opinion,this is a handle with care pick.  Good talent but very young intangibles and the big question is how quickly he can bring what he learns in practice to the field consistently.

The BS Detector 

Drew Boylhart   Jan /12

The NY Jets had Mark Sanchez and could have drafted Geno Smith and developed him. They instead decided on throwing him into the starting mix and 2 years later we have some who are convinced that we should now take Mariota and start him. Philly looks like they're willing to move up to get their starting QB which is also Mariota and trading Foles. Tampa is willing to draft a QB with the #1 pick in this years draft and that position isn't even the problem, on top of the fact that Mike Glennon's numbers after 2 years with no faith from the organization/HC or a decent Oline are respectable. 

Most organizations are no longer willing to sit a guy for at least a year, yet when they throw rookies into the mix and the 1st year or 2 look like what they should look like (rookies/2nd year players) then they're pushed aside for another rookie. There's no margin for error anymore, and with that, no development. You dont need Peyton Manning to develop a QB. Some would say "Well you can't tank a season by letting some generic QB start while you sit your rookie QB on the bench" yet year after year we see team after team drafting rookies, starting them, not succeeding and then moving on to the next rookie...not just tanking a season but a generation. A commentator on the NFL network said it best, "Teams now want microwave QB's, guys who can produce right now. They no longer want to put them in the oven and really cook them". 

Yes, its great to have a Peyton Manning or a Eli Manning so you can develop a guy like Osweiler or Nassib, but you dont need that caliber of talent if you want to develop a QB. If we drafted Mariota for example then Geno Smith would be the starter this year no doubt, because I would be serious about finding an answer to the position. If I was Tampa I would be trading out of the 1st pick in order to stock up on Olinemen and give a guy like Glennon the shot that he's shown he's deserved. 

I may have said the statement a little "nonchalantly" but I think we can agree that there's some truth to the statement. 

There is no pressure to start a rookie asap when the incumbent is Peyton Manning and he's rewriting record books. Ditto Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers. Or (even though he was a much later pick) Tom Brady holding a clipboard on the first 2 successive opening days of his career because they had Drew Bledsoe on a $100M contract or whatever it was.

There is a lot of pressure to start a rookie asap when the incumbent is Mark Sanchez. Completely different, because in a situation like this, the fan base is angry and the coaching staff (and GM) are putting their jobs on the line for someone they know is terrible.

I'm saying when the incumbent is a train wreck - one who has no business having the job simply handed to himself either - it's not as easy to just say, "We're going to just have Geno working with the 2's and he won't be given a chance no matter how horrid Sanchez is for yet another preseason. I think Idzik did try to do it "right" but unfortunately the one he put his faith in to hold the fort was David Garrard, who quit on him like 2 weeks after Geno was drafted.

I'd assume Denver plans to keep him around as Manning is a good hit or two away from a wheelchair

I generally assume that as well. But he was worthy of a 2nd round pick 3 drafts ago, the knock on him is he wasn't quite ready to face NFL defenses due to lack of well-rounded exposure, and he's been holding Peyton Manning's clipboard for that time. Sure, Denver would want to reap the benefits of their patience with him (not to mention their investment). 

But they surely are aware they could lose him for nothing a year later, and unless they have full confidence they still have a favorable chance of winning it all with Brock this year should Manning go down, they could take the attitude that something is better than nothing. That in a win-now season they might be no worse off with an experienced veteran because Osweiler may still need to take enough live lumps to take them out of contention. So they could maybe entice Kyle Orton into coming out of retirement and draft another one this year.

Just saying that even if the odds are poor we could snag him for something reasonable, it doesn't hurt to pick up a phone. It's not like we have anything obviously better (or even average) sitting around. Plus we have a plenty good enough receiving corps and ground game and experienced OC to make his intro to live action as easy as can reasonably be expected. Just need a little upgrade on the OL.

There is no pressure to start a rookie asap when the incumbent is Peyton Manning and he's rewriting record books. Ditto Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers. Or (even though he was a much later pick) Tom Brady holding a clipboard on the first 2 successive opening days of his career because they had Drew Bledsoe on a $100M contract or whatever it was.

There is a lot of pressure to start a rookie asap when the incumbent is Mark Sanchez. Completely different, because in a situation like this, the fan base is angry and the coaching staff (and GM) are putting their jobs on the line for someone they know is terrible.

I'm saying when the incumbent is a train wreck - one who has no business having the job simply handed to himself either - it's not as easy to just say, "We're going to just have Geno working with the 2's and he won't be given a chance no matter how horrid Sanchez is for yet another preseason. I think Idzik did try to do it "right" but unfortunately the one he put his faith in to hold the fort was David Garrard, who quit on him like 2 weeks after Geno was drafted.

So because there's pressure from angry fans you can no longer develop a QB that you know as a professional isn't ready? I thought GM's or HC's get paid millions to make tough decisions and bring sustainable success? How could an angry fan base expect the GM/HC to accomplish this if these people dont even have the balls to deal with the public/media? That would make me angry most of all knowing that collectively as fans we can somehow dictate those type of decisions 4 months after draft day. 

Mark Sanchez could have started that 1st year Geno was here if Geno really wasnt ready. However, we all heard that it seemed like that competition was geared towards Geno. This is why guys like Pete Carroll are successful. He went in and drafted a guy and when he got to camp he put the best guy on the field, and it didnt matter who got the big contract. The guy he put on the field just so happened to be the rookie, because the rookie was better, and he was willing to sit guy they just paid millions to because he wasnt the better QB. And it wasnt like Pete Carroll was some offensive guru, he's a defensive coach. So If you dont have Peyton, Tom, Drew or Aarron then you basically can't develop a QB in this league because of the "pressure" to start a guy who may or may not be ready? This is ridiculous. Not you of course, I do believe that this is happening in the league and its ridiculous. 

If a guy is drafted and you can see that he's not ready yet, then Mark Sanchez being the other QB shouldn't be an excuse to force a guy onto the field. And David Garrard's body failed on him from what I understand. That was one of those classic signings by Idzik trying to get greatness out of a injury prone guy. 

If we draft a QB then Geno Smith should be starting unless the rookie shows that he's clearly better. If we pick up a QB it better be via trade because the FA QB's are either trash or injury prone and is a waste of time. 

If its pressure from the "fans" then I'm here to push in the opposite direction. We need to trade for Mike Glennon or Foles as a last option or simply draft a QB and if we see during training camp that he's not ready simply start Geno. Jet fans are angry regardless. 

So because there's pressure from angry fans you can no longer develop a QB that you know as a professional isn't ready? I thought GM's or HC's get paid millions to make tough decisions and bring sustainable success? How could an angry fan base expect the GM/HC to accomplish this if these people dont even have the balls to deal with the public/media? That would make me angry most of all knowing that collectively as fans we can somehow dictate those type of decisions 4 months after draft day. 

Mark Sanchez could have started that 1st year Geno was here if Geno really wasnt ready. However, we all heard that it seemed like that competition was geared towards Geno. This is why guys like Pete Carroll are successful. He went in and drafted a guy and when he got to camp he put the best guy on the field, and it didnt matter who got the big contract. The guy he put on the field just so happened to be the rookie, because the rookie was better, and he was willing to sit guy they just paid millions to because he wasnt the better QB. And it wasnt like Pete Carroll was some offensive guru, he's a defensive coach. So If you dont have Peyton, Tom, Drew or Aarron then you basically can't develop a QB in this league because of the "pressure" to start a guy who may or may not be ready? This is ridiculous. Not you of course, I do believe that this is happening in the league and its ridiculous. 

If a guy is drafted and you can see that he's not ready yet, then Mark Sanchez being the other QB shouldn't be an excuse to force a guy onto the field. And David Garrard's body failed on him from what I understand. That was one of those classic signings by Idzik trying to get greatness out of a injury prone guy. 

If we draft a QB then Geno Smith should be starting unless the rookie shows that he's clearly better. If we pick up a QB it better be via trade because the FA QB's are either trash or injury prone and is a waste of time. 

If its pressure from the "fans" then I'm here to push in the opposite direction. We need to trade for Mike Glennon or Foles as a last option or simply draft a QB and if we see during training camp that he's not ready simply start Geno. Jet fans are angry regardless. 

Whether you realize it or not, this post says competition involving a rookie is ok when someone else does it. When it's us we aren't supposed to.

Geno wasn't lighting it up his rookie camp (far from it) but Sanchez was also atrocious. It's easy to point to cutting off the competition earlier, but Sanchez was just that bad himself. Truthfully, neither had earned the starting job (though Geno had earned it even less than Sanchez).

And for the love of Sperm, we are not getting Glennon. Without even commenting as to the wisdom (or lack of it) in trading for him, he is on Tampa this year. If he was at all on the market, it would have been a poorly kept secret by now. Tampa doesn't have to psyche anyone into thinking anything; they have the #1 pick and will take a QB (likely Winston, it seems) if they feel like it. Knowing that, they're still not shopping him around and instead cut the other QB on their team. The veteran one, who (his own talent/performance aside) could actually help teach Winston a thing or two from his decade-plus in the league.  It's amazing how much more stubborn you are than even I am. I don't know whether to be impressed or annoyed. Let's go with impressed for now.  :love0030:

John Idzik is +1 ing this post all day LOL

In today's NFL, especially in the leagues biggest media market, you have to win now. The old days are done. Too many highly drafted guys have been in the right mindset, and situation to produce from day 1.

Jerry Hughes is the perfect example. I wanted the Jets to take this guy so bad with that late 1st rounder that they wasted on Kyle Wilson (thanks Rex!) in 2010. Instead Indy took him and he got lost in the mix. They give up and ship him to Buffalo and all of sudden, 20 sacks in two seasons. Now going into year 5 he's a sought after edge rusher. It took a couple of years to click for him. But Indy wouldn't wait 3 years.

Archived