IF, big IF we trade Mo, who do we target? Player/picks etc?

SouthernJet

I just don't see it.  If Maccagnan was going to trade Wilkerson it should have been last

night right after we took Williams.  That way you would've had first round picks still available

to pick up.  There's no way I want a #2 for Wilkerson

It's a weird situation. As much planning I think Mac did, I do not think he envisioned Williams falling to 6. If he did, I think Wilk would of been traded before the draft.

However, if he is going to be traded, I full expect it to happen within the next two days. My guess would be a 2nd or 3rd this year, a 1st next year, and a player.

I just don't see it.  If Maccagnan was going to trade Wilkerson it should have been last

night right after we took Williams.  That way you would've had first round picks still available

2016!! This isnt 1 year Fantasy Football where you hit reset every year. Have to think long term

If they trade him I would want franchise player compensation. Two first round picks. I would be more inclined to adapt formations and make the Dl a feature of the defense (more 4-3 fronts) and only trade MO if it helps get a top qb next year

2nd this year, 1st next year. 

The back half of this year's first round didn't offer much. Having two first rounders next year sets us up to go up for a QB, which we'll eventually have to do.

Then we use the 2nd's this year to load up at WR, RB, OL and OLB.

The question I find myself asking is: Which teams are rebuilding their D and what can they give us in picks/players?

I look at the Cowboys, Saints, Falcons off the top of my head. These seem like teams that can contend if they rebuild their D, do they have players on their roster that we would want? Assuming they do make the playoffs, do we want their late first rounder next year? If so, what else do we need this year to equal the value of a top 15 pick, which is what Mo Wilk is worth? 

I'd happily take Drew Brees off the Saints hands, lol. 

Ultimately, unless we get a franchise caliber player in return or a sh*t ton of picks, I don't think you trade him away. It wouldn't make sense.

It's a weird situation. As much planning I think Mac did, I do not think he envisioned Williams falling to 6. If he did, I think Wilk would of been traded before the draft.

However, if he is going to be traded, I full expect it to happen within the next two days. My guess would be a 2nd or 3rd this year, a 1st next year, and a player.

How could they have possibly traded Mo before the draft with expectations of Williams falling to them? That would have been pure poker.

2nd this year, 1st next year. 

The back half of this year's first round didn't offer much. Having two first rounders next year sets us up to go up for a QB, which we'll eventually have to do.

with the looming big $$ contract I don't think you get a 2nd and '16 1st for Mo. 

I agree with you on QB though.   I think Bowles and Macc get it wrt QB.   The big question is do they try to load up in the 2016 draft to make a run at Cook / Hackenberg or do they follow the Cardinals model and try to get a Carson Palmer type (Rivers?) on their way to retirement?  

Trading Mo would be a very inefficient and foolish misuse of available assets.

Why?  You just picked a guy at the #6 spot who can be, at the WORST, as good as Mo.  I think he could be better.  You will get him for the next 5 years at discounted price.  You then get a #1 at the very least for Mo, and that player will fill a position for 5 years at a discounted price.  Then, the money you save from paying Mo (probably an extra $6-7 million between his contract and Williams) you can go out and pay another player who will fill a position of need. 

That is getting either the same or better on the D-line and filling in two other needed pieces.  What is NOT to love about that scenario?

with the looming big $$ contract I don't think you get a 2nd and '16 1st for Mo. 

I agree with you on QB though.   I think Bowles and Macc get it wrt QB.   The big question is do they try to load up in the 2016 draft to make a run at Cook / Hackenberg or do they follow the Cardinals model and try to get a Carson Palmer type (Rivers?) on their way to retirement?  

Impending contracts rarely impact trade value. If someone trades for him, it's because they want to lock him up as their DE the next 5-6 years.

I'm all about adding 2016 picks right now. We could easily bypass all QB in this draft, while taking BPA and positioning ourselves to make a run on one of next year's QB studs, who (I'm no expert) seem like much better prospects.

I think with the new regime  Mo should have been there for the voluntary work outs instead of pouting because of his contract.. I can understand him being mad at Idzik but that isn't Mac's fault.. But some fans think Mo is worth 1 or 2 first rd picks?? LOL We got a late 1st for Abe who was a All Pro in his second season I think some are over valuating Mo's ability just like Mo and his agent are.. I hope Mo comes to his senses before he winds up on the Bills..

Impending contracts rarely impact trade value. If someone trades for him, it's because they want to lock him up as their DE the next 5-6 years.

the contracts do impact value in that they limit the pool of possible trade partners.   I can't see teams like Dallas or NO (both could use him) making a run at Mo given their cap constraints.  

How could they have possibly traded Mo before the draft with expectations of Williams falling to them? That would have been pure poker.

They couldn't have envisioned him slipping whatsoever, which is why we were shocked Williams was still available. If there was that possibility of him falling, I think Wilk would have been moved honestly.

I think with the new regime Mo should have been there for the voluntary work outs instead of pouting because of his contract.. I can understand him being mad at Idzik but that isn't Mac's fault.. But some fans think Mo is worth 1 or 2 first rd picks?? LOL We got a late 1st for Abe who was a All Pro in his second season I think some are over valuating Mo's ability just like Mo and his agent are.. I hope Mo comes to his senses before he winds up on the Bills..

Mo is not pouting.

If you trade Mo you have to get a first rounder next year. I think in general that would be the best scenario for the Jets. You have to assume with this defense we will at least be a middling team in terms of next year's draft position. Having that 2nd first round pick gives us leverage in what has to be a better QB crop than this year. So if Geno doesn't step up we would have the leverage to target potential franchise QB. And if by chance Geno does step up, we would be able to add 2 impact players to and already talented team.

Archived