Five Reasons to Believe in Geno Smith

JetNation

Geno Smith

By Glenn Naughton

Having been subjected to some of the worst quarterback play in the NFL over much of the past six seasons, Jets fans are ready for a long overdue turnaround at the position that has been Gang Green’s achilles heel for far too long.

Head coach Todd Bowles is on the record as saying that the starting quarterback job heading into 2015 is Geno Smith’s to lose.  In all reality, Smith will likely be under center come week one unless veteran back-up Ryan Fitzpatrick far outplays the young QB.

With so much optimism surrounding the organization following an active off-season that re-stocked a barren roster with the likes of Darrelle Revis, Brandon Marshall, Antonio Cromartie and Stevan Ridley along with first round draft pick Leonard Williams, JetNation.com takes a look at five reasons to keep the faith in Geno Smith with the start of the 2015 season being just over three months away.

1) Chan Gailey

Arguably Bowles’ most important hire, offensive coordinator Gailey has an excellent track record in developing young and/or inexperienced quarterbacks.  He worked wonders with Fitzpatrick during his time with the Buffalo Bills and has been praised by past players and fellow coaches alike.

In an exclusive interview with JetNation.com, one of Gailey’s fomer quarterbacks, Jay Fielder of the Miami Dolphins had this to say about his one-time coordinator:

“Chan was a great teacher of the game and he did a great job of simplifying things for everyone.  He allowed guys to just go out and play and molded his offense around what they did well.”

Given Fiedler’s insight and Gailey’s history of effectively utilizing a spread offense, one that better suits Smith’s skill-set, Bowles would have had a difficult time choosing a coordinator who would have been a better fit than Gailey.

2) Upgrades at the Wide Receiver Position

It’s no secret that the Jets have had a difficult time acquiring established playmakers at the receiver position since the days of Keyshawn Johnson or Santana Moss.

Last season’s big offensive addition, Eric Decker, played the majority of 2014 with lingering hamstring injuries and his consistency suffered as a result.

Before acquiring the speedy Percy Harvin from the Seattle Seahawks, Smith worked with lower-level receivers such as Greg Salas, David Nelson and T.J. Graham opposite the banged up Decker on game day.

Wide Receiver Greg Salas saw significant playing time prior to the addition of Percy Harvin in 2014.

Wide Receiver Greg Salas saw significant playing time prior to the addition of Percy Harvin in 2014.

The addition of Marshall to what will hopefully be a healthy Decker along with slot man Jeremy Kerley and rookie burner Devin Smith gives Smith a diverse group of highly talented pass-catchers to work with.

Not to be forgotten in the receiver picture is last year’s second-round pick, tight end Jace Amaro should only help matters.  At 6′ 5” and coming from a spread offense himself at Texas Tech, Amaro could end up being as valuable as any receiver on the roster.

3) Smith’s Late-Season Surge

Following a strong finish for the second consecutive season, we asked if Smith’s improved late season play was reason for optimism and plenty of fans seemed to feel that it should be taken with a grain of salt if not dismissed completely.  This of course is due to the fact that the previous season was much of the same for Smith who ended his rookie campaign on a high note, and there was little carry-over in season number two.

Even still, Smith’s six touchdowns to just two interceptions over the season’s final four weeks of the season can only help build his confidence going in to 2015 with a new coordinator and some new targets on board.

A healthy Eric Decker scorched the Dolphins secondary for 221 yards in week 17.

Smith teamed with a healthy Eric Decker for 221 yards on 10 catches in week 17.

4) Better Defense

Of course Smith’s main concern will be related to the performance of his fellow offensive players, but a suddenly robust secondary should result in a dramatic improvement over the 31 touchdown passes (3rd worst in the NFL) New York allowed last season.

For Smith, there should be no more feeling that every drive must be a touchdown which should allow him to take what the defense gives him and force fewer throws into tight coverage.

If Bowles and defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers can get this unit to play to their full potential, average quarterback play should be plenty to propel the Jets toward the post-season.

5) Experience…He’s not a kid anymore

Coming out of college, it was no secret that Smith was going to have plenty to learn after playing in a pass-happy offense at West Virginia.

Rarely asked to take a snap from under center or read through his progressions, Smith was as raw as could be during his rookie season.  Rushed into action following an injury to the since-departed Mark Sanchez, Smith was trying to “drink from the fire hose” and it showed.

A more confident Smith should emerge in 2015.

A more confident Smith should emerge in 2015.

Offensive lineman Willie Colon recently came out and acknowledged as much, saying that Smith was “never ready” to start for the Jets.

With 30 NFL games under his belt, expectations should be higher, and the wide-eyed look of an inexperienced youngster should be a thing of the past as Smith looks to show improvement in year three.

Of course there are no guarantees in the NFL and Smith may very well fail to prove himself a viable starter in 2015, but this season will be by far the most favorable situation he has been placed in as a  pro.

With a veteran coordinator of Gailey’s caliber and a slew of weapons around him, it’s time for Smith to prove the doubters wrong and prove that there was reason to believe all along.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
6RGG_OwcV4Q

View the full article

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope it's true and Geno is the man! - or even just serviceable, I don't see it. Million Dollar arm, 10 Cent Brain.

If  he doesn't make it that's going to be the frustrating part...they don't need him to carry the team, they just need him to stop making so many mental errors.

I dont know if these are necessarily reasons to "believe" in Geno Smith.  He's done plenty to give fans little optimism.  But they're all certainly excellent reasons as to why he should be the starter week 1 and provide some hope that maybe the light does go on.

I think Carpenter is an upgrade too.  So you would expect some improvement from the OL as well.   He also plays 8 teams next year that didnt have winning records.  So the Jets should be in more games next year.  That and the best QB's they face are Brady, Romo and Luck...other than Tannehill...the rest are pretty much garbage that you would hope this D should shut down with ease. 

I hope it's true and Geno is the man! - or even just serviceable, I don't see it. Million Dollar arm, 10 Cent Brain.

I remember his rookie year. THROWN to the wolves. He never complained etc.

No weapons, weak O-line etc...  we went 8-8.

So while he makes bone head, possibly career ending errors, he has some acumen to be admired.

The flip the bird incident, the movies etc...  dont help my point but I remember thinking for a 22 year old, he took it like a man.

So..perhaps he finally gets it.

Geno sucks

What a stupid article. None of these points has anything to do with believing in Smith's ability to lead this team.

1 Chan Gailey - While Gailey may be an offensive savant, he will quickly learn that Smith is nothing more than a wannabe.   

2 - WR upgrades - this is one I feel is totally over exaggerated.  If you're a 'pro bowler' then do it with what you've got. 

3 - Late season surge - for 2 years now this has been the argument for Smith's progress.  8-8 on a team that really should have been 4-12 had it not been for the defense and 4-12 on a team that should have been 2-14. Some surge.

4 - Better defense - how this applies to Smith is beyond me.   

5 - Experience - Experience shows that Smith's learning curve is slower than a turtle crossing the road. He will get exponentially better, maybe, each year.  By year 2020, he may even be a decent back up.      

What a stupid article. None of these points has anything to do with believing in Smith's ability to lead this team.

1 Chan Gailey - While Gailey may be an offensive savant, he will quickly learn that Smith is nothing more than a wannabe.   

2 - WR upgrades - this is one I feel is totally over exaggerated.  If you're a 'pro bowler' then do it with what you've got. 

3 - Late season surge - for 2 years now this has been the argument for Smith's progress.  8-8 on a team that really should have been 4-12 had it not been for the defense and 4-12 on a team that should have been 2-14. Some surge.

5 - Experience - Experience shows that Smith's learning curve is slower than a turtle crossing the road. He will get exponentially better, maybe, each year.  By year 2020, he may even be a decent back up.      

Agree on all counts!

These are classic excuses for crappy Jet QB's dating back to Sanchez. It's always "his oline sucks" or "his receivers suck" or "his coaching is terrible". It's funny how there is zero accountability for the PLAYER HIMSELF THAT IS FAILING.

I would seriously take Tebow over Geno at this point. At least Tebow cared about winning and brought positive intangibles to the game despite his other deficiencies.

Tebow is a natural born leader.  Smith is a natural born loser. 

Tebow will go the extra mile.  Smith is an undisciplined prima donna.

Tebow has exceeded his God given talents. Smith has squandered his. 

Tebow is a philanthropist.  Smith is stealing Woody's money.

Tebow is a marketing machine for the NFL.  Have you ever seen anyone wear a #7 Smith jersey other than himself.   

Tebow can tell time. Smith can't.

Tebow is loved by his teammates. Smith is called out by his.

Tebow has earned his place in the NFL.  Smith feels its due to him. 

Tebow is well respected in outside circles.  Smith gets thrown off of planes.

Tebow is America's #1 bachelor.  Smith sends pee wee pics over the internet.

Tebow's desire to win is unparalleled.  Smith is a pouter, a whiner and a wannabe pro bowler. 

Tebow has humility.  Smith has humiliation. 

Tebow has courage and fire. Smith has deep seated fear and lacks any real spark.         

Tebow's tebowing TD salute is way cooler than Smith's lame azz bow.      

Tebow is a marketing machine for the NFL.  Have you ever seen anyone wear a #7 Smith jersey other than himself.   

Tebow's desire to win is unparalleled.  Smith is a pouter, a whiner and a wannabe pro bowler. 

Tebow has courage and fire. Smith has deep seated fear and lacks any real spark.         

Yet strangely, Geno is still a much better QB

:face:

What don't you understand?

Oh.. if he gets "exponentially" better, it'll be a major, major improvement. I think you meant "marginally" or "fractionally."

Only 2/5 of those reasons are anything to do with Geno, and of those 2, one of them ("Experience") is not a reason at all to believe in him.  Sanchez got plenty of pro experience with the Jets too. 

The other ("Late Season Surge") we saw already in 2013, and it had no impact on his next season.

We've hoped for 6 straight years that bad QB play could be helped if we could just bring in a better OC, more weapons, and play perfect defense.  Hasn't worked.

george_facepalm_seinfeld.gif

Only 2/5 of those reasons are anything to do with Geno, and of those 2, one of them ("Experience") is not a reason at all to believe in him.  The other ("Late Season Surge") we saw already in 2013, and it had no impact on his next season.

Sure, expect the fact he improved and stuff.

Sure, expect the fact he improved and stuff.

Already addressed this in another thread.  His QB rating went from 66.5 to 77.5, he threw 1 more TD pass than the prior season, and had the same YPA of 6.9.  This despite going from that awful 2013 receiving class to having Decker for 14 games, Amaro for 13, Harvin for 8, and Kerley for a full season.  I'm still not buying his progress.

Tebow :sign0182: :sign0182: :sign0182:

Already addressed this in another thread.  His QB rating went from 66.5 to 77.5, he threw 1 more TD pass than the prior season, and had the same YPA of 6.9.  This despite going from that awful 2013 receiving class to having Decker for 14 games, Amaro for 13, Harvin for 8, and Kerley for a full season.  I'm still not buying his progress.

8 less INTs?

Plus his 3 games w/ 80% completion %, plus his game with a perfect passer rating, plus his top 3 finish among all QB's, plus his increase in overall completion %, plus his reduction in turnovers, plus his 2 300 yard + games...but yeah, no progress or anything because you're in love with a conquering hero. 

8 less INTs?

That's more or less reflected in the QB rating but yeah.  Don't forget however that he was benched 2 games for Vick, and also had another 2 games where he only played a half of a game or less.  He was the QB for nearly every snap in 2013.

No progress.  Why?  Conquering hero. 

If he played the full 16, he would have been projected to probably have 16 or 17 INT's.  Making the difference of 4 or 5 INT's between 2013 and 2014 relatively meaningless too.

He also had 8 fumbles in 2014, same as 2013, in about 3 games' less snaps.

And yes, he would have thrown more TD's too.  Meaning he'd have eclipsed his 2013 total by about 3-4 TD's in 2014.  Ho hum.  Once again, I attribute that to Decker, Kerley, Harvin and Amaro a lot more than I do anything Geno did better.

That's more or less reflected in the QB rating but yeah.  Don't forget however that he was benched 2 games for Vick, and also had another 2 games where he only played a half of a game or less.

I hate when people cite the QB rating and other things.  The QB rating is (supposed to be) everything together. 

His TD and INT percentage both improved.  The only thing that I think got worse was his yards per game, but I guess the half games may contributed.  I don't hold very high hopes, but I think there is a very good chance he is the best we have. If handled properly he still has a chance to be an NFL QB.

I hate when people cite the QB rating and other things.  The QB rating is (supposed to be) everything together. 

His TD and INT percentage both improved.  The only thing that I think got worse was his yards per game, but I guess the half games may contributed.  I don't hold very high hopes, but I think there is a very good chance he is the best we have. If handled properly he still has a chance to be an NFL QB.

Yes a third string NFL QB

Archived