Jets Tailgate Vehicles Thread

Lot K Tailgaters

A trailer would get musty and still need a vehicle capable of pulling it parking would be an issue as well. You could get the grill that mounts to the trailer hitch and put that on the back of a van. You could also drive that van year round and have an extra vehicle if your main ride needs to be in the shop.

I pretty much know all the possibilities, I've used all types of setups. Was just stating my opinion after having first hand experience with all of them.

How about a conversion van? Admittedly not as cool as some other options, but pound-for-pound (or dollar-for-dollar) I couldn't think of a better option.

Picked one up for like $1k when I became a PSL holder and the new stadium opened. Thing was falling apart when I got it, but a summer of repairs/upgrades in the driveway and it does the job better than anything else I can think of.

Had to do a bunch of mechanical things to get it running safely (tune up, brakes, exhaust, new wiring, some good all-season tires, fuel pump, water pump...). So weeks spent on that part. Though easily avoided if you don't want to do the work yourself. Just spend a bit more on a better running van.

Then the tailgating upgrades:

1. Wired in 4 marine batteries with a switch normally found in boats that allows me to switch between battery banks. So there's no risk of killing your main battery.

2. New digital antenna since older model conversion vans came with analog antennas. Even have an output jack with a power switch that will boost the signal. So it's easy to hook up any external TV to watch the Giants lose while tailgating.

3. Flat-screen TV upgrade in the van. Again since the older vans came with analog TVs.

4. External and internal lighting wired up to all the extra buttons that come with a conversion van. Makes night games more fun glowing/flashing green.

5. Better radio (w/bluetooth so you can DJ from your phone) and a couple amplifiers to power upgraded speakers/subwoofer(s). Also wired in a few extra long speaker lines that I use to hook up external speakers for "surround sound" during tailgates. It's nothing extremely loud like those PA systems some setup. But it's loud enough for your group to enjoy. Even surrounding groups if people join in. Most importantly though, with the surround speakers, it'll block out those really loud PA systems when needed. Kind of giving you your own little music bubble.

6. High output alternator (when needed for an extra boost).

7. Throw on some decals and you're set.

8. Not exactly an upgrade to the van but a Honda EU2000i generator comes in handy at times too if you're drawing tons of power the batteries and alternator can't handle. Kind of expensive but quiet enough so it doesn't annoy anyone next to you. Darn thing can be running full throttle and you can hold a conversation when sitting on it.

Complete tailgate solution in an easy to drive "normal" vehicle. Plus you've got comfortable captains chairs, a reclining bench/bed and a TV in the van if the weather ever gets too bad. Though we've only had to do that once for a couple hours so far.

Normal payload is 4 people with canopy, tables, chairs, power inverters, generator, microwave, coffee machine, Wii system, grill, coolers, external TV, dartboard/cornhole, propane tanks, heaters and so on... We've carried all that stuff with 7 people one time, but that took some really creative Tetris-like packing and it was damn tight.

Hell, the old '95 Dodge even has a hitch and enough power to carry all that and tow along a trailer . Which I'm thinking of adding one of these seasons for sort of a portable living room (couches, heat vent, tv on the wall, bar...) for those days later in the season when it's bitterly cold, windy as **** and sleeting/snowing.

Again, not nearly as visually cool as some of the trucks, ambulances and buses. But it was the best/cheapest option for what I needed.

Any pictures?

I still think a trailer is the best option. Why pay for a vehicle that you only want to use 8 days a year. You have to deal with maintaining it and keeping it in running condition all year just for those eight days. As cheap as a used bus or van may be, when you have to drop 1,000 or more to fix broken stuff on it do you really want to do that on something you drive 8 days a year. You can easily outfit the trailer with a couch, tvs, sat dish, fridge, and grill. It is also easier to roll your big grill in and out of the trailer than to lift it in and out of a van. Also, if you are planning on having a full size grill, and why wouldn't you if you are going to this trouble, a lot of them might not fit standing into a van, I know this from experience. I have used suvs, vans, trucks, and trailers as tailgate rigs.

Two issues for me with a trailer are:

1.  $75 extra to bring that thing in every week.  Plus I already have a spot I always park at.

2.  Where do I put the trailer the rest of the time?  Living in a condo complex I have a parking space but no place for a trailer.

Two issues for me with a trailer are:

1.  $75 extra to bring that thing in every week.  Plus I already have a spot I always park at.

2.  Where do I put the trailer the rest of the time?  Living in a condo complex I have a parking space but no place for a trailer.

I forget the amount but it isn't quite $75 per game. But when you offset that vs the cost of maintaining, registering, paying insurance a 12 year old van it is a decent trade off.

As far as parking, yeah unless you have a place to park it or can find a cheap enough storage lot that could be an issue.

Im going to contact GM and Ford and see if they can market a tailgate vehicle van to which you can order your favorite team and it will be all decked out ready to for game day upon delivery. Imagine riding around and seeing multiple Jets vans in your neighborhood doubles as a family cruiser and on game day turns into a weekend warrior party mobile. Stay tuned.................

Any pictures?

I've got a ton of pics of tailgating, but they're all stored in different places.  Here's a few I could get easily and a couple I just took now.  I just opened the JetMobile for the first time in 2015.  Damn thing is a mess!  One of these weekends I'll have to clean her out and get her back in form for the season.

Initially.  Getting those stripes off the side sucked.  2 full days with a drill and multiple rubber wheels.

IMAG0348_1.jpg

After striping off.  Now when magnet decals put on for gamedays it looks a little better.

20120901_145245.jpg

Some tailgate pics:

DSCF0090.jpg

The two next to the heater were wusses.  Couldn't handle the cold.

20131103_095702.jpg

10689723_10202419606279409_2092545987623

IMAG0528.jpg

Any pictures?

Wiring/misc pics:

IMAG0468_1.jpg

Battery bank switch.

IMAG0470_1.jpg

One of the amps and capacitors used for the external speakers.

20150720_104206.jpg

20150720_104354.jpg

And then if you ever run into a situation like this...

IMAG0506.jpg

Here's a good solution.  Always keep this packed just in case.

IMAG0706.jpg

Nice van I like it needs a little TLC secure those batteries that's the way to go park it anywhere ready to go on game day!

Thanks. Was a pain in the ass summer getting in decent running shape but kinda enjoyable too. TLC? Yup, one of these weekends I'll have to clean it and give her a tune up n oil change in prep for the season.

The batteries are secured to the wood beneath with straps. Hard to see in pics though.

Thanks. Was a pain in the ass summer getting in decent running shape but kinda enjoyable too. TLC? Yup, one of these weekends I'll have to clean it and give her a tune up n oil change in prep for the season.

The batteries are secured to the wood beneath with straps. Hard to see in pics though.

Nice pics I like it.  Funny I was at the Jets Bengals game in Cincinnati in 2014 and was invited to a Bengals tailgate through someone I knew.  They had one of those bathroom things also.  Not sure I want to deal with the cleanup of it though.

One positive of parking in lot K is the portajohns are a bit cleaner.

It depends if your HOA is for condos and townhouses or houses. I'm president of my condo association. Most thankless job ever. Somehow I got suckered into it though. There are laws though that you cannot ban flags or signs in windows. You can however regulate the size.

While we didn't have it happen our lawyer told us a story about how an African American husband and wife moved into an adult community. The next door neighbor decided to put up a confederate flag as soon as they moved in. The association called the lawyer and he said you can't do anything about it. You can talk to the homeowner but you cannot actually make him take it down. Also if someone wants to put up a sign in their window for a presidential candidate they endorse they can. You can regulate the size of the sign in the window though.

Either way I look forward to the day I can live in an actual house without some of these rules.

As condo prez what services do you provide that you find thankless? Also, could these services be provided by the homeowner themselves should they actually want it?

How can you be a condo prez and long for the days of less rules? Isnt this like a cop who thinks pot should be legal and arrests people for it anyway? I is confused.

As condo prez what services do you provide that you find thankless? Also, could these services be provided by the homeowner themselves should they actually want it?

How can you be a condo prez and long for the days of less rules? Isnt this like a cop who thinks pot should be legal and arrests people for it anyway? I is confused.

Where I live we have 154 condos and townhouses.  It's not a very bouchey area with houses in a gated community.

We have 5 board members all who live in the community.  It's voluntary and you run for your spot on the board.  I somehow ended up as president and none of us get paid.  We basically have to make all the decisions on what does and does not get done in the community. 

As far as can the services be provided by the homeowners themselves it depends.  Who is going to pick up the garbage from the dumpsters?  Arrange for the parking lots to be plowed?  Decided when stoops and concrete need to be replaced?  Decide on what landscaping needs to be done? etc. etc.

Most of our rules are common sense rules.  For example, if your dog craps on the grass pick it up.  You'd be amazed how many people don't do that. 

Where I live we have 154 condos and townhouses.  It's not a very bouchey area with houses in a gated community.

We have 5 board members all who live in the community.  It's voluntary and you run for your spot on the board.  I somehow ended up as president and none of us get paid.  We basically have to make all the decisions on what does and does not get done in the community. 

As far as can the services be provided by the homeowners themselves it depends.  Who is going to pick up the garbage from the dumpsters?  Arrange for the parking lots to be plowed?  Decided when stoops and concrete need to be replaced?  Decide on what landscaping needs to be done? etc. etc.

Most of our rules are common sense rules.  For example, if your dog craps on the grass pick it up.  You'd be amazed how many people don't do that. 

here in Charlotte....  a lot of associations are outsourcing the governance to a property manager because no one wants to do the friggin job.  IT IS the most thankless job ever.

I would get the van but not sure I could fit 3-4 people in it.  Also would be nice for a bus or ambulance for cold weather games you can sit inside the thing.  Just like you said a pain to keep when it's not game day. 

You can get magnet decals for game day and then use it as a regular vehicle the rest of the time

Nice pics I like it.  Funny I was at the Jets Bengals game in Cincinnati in 2014 and was invited to a Bengals tailgate through someone I knew.  They had one of those bathroom things also.  Not sure I want to deal with the cleanup of it though.

One positive of parking in lot K is the portajohns are a bit cleaner.

Disposable buckets with reusable seat. No way would I clean those out. Luckily though, haven't had to actually use it yet. That pic was from years ago. A Monday night game when the weekend before there was both a college game Sat and Midget game Sunday. Still no excuse for that though.

So just have it in case something like that ever happens again. Normally though, the portajohns have been great. Been in Lot D mostly past couple years and they've been spotless and never wait more than a minute.

Archived