Jets knew IK Enemkpali was a character risk when they drafted him

JOJOTOWNSELL

I agree that if charged are pressed, it will eventually be reduced like most cases.  However, this isn't the first physical altercation IK has been in.  Also, had an incident in college where if I'm not mistaken, he had to be tased.  I'm obviously by no means a GM but if I was why would I want a guy like this on my team?  You can find plenty of other guys to fill voids cheaply.  That's just my opinion and I respect yours so let's just see what happens.  

Tased?  Big Deal. Happen to me three times at the Old Country buffet and once I didn't stop eating. 

I would guess they aren't the greatest of friends, but IK asked Geno to attend to make the "event" a little more impressive, in that a starting QB is attending etc. Now, Geno isn't some big draw, but as IK is a 6th round pick/reserve, getting an NFL starter to attend I think makes the event a little better. I'd think the bad blood was as much as Geno cancelling at all, and at the last minute, as it was about the money. I'd think that the money and perhaps (conjecture here) Smith's lackadaisical attitude towards paying it back quickly were the trigger. Depending on your feelings about Geno, feel free to speculate if Geno not being a leader, smug dick etc only fueled IK more. 

That said, Geno being a dbag or not, punching someone in the face, as a pro player, over 600 dollars and hurt feelings is sort of dumb. Oh, I forgot, the finger in the face. That makes it ok. 

true.  I think Geno is a bit of a chump.  I just could not understand why he would want to fly to Sandstorm, Texas for this event unless the guys were buds.  What a cheap dick Geno is.  Geno, even if you had a good reason, you stiffed the guy.  Don't give him the high hat now.  What a mess. Some people think the team is better off.  I am not so sure.  Of course, if his teammates cannot stand Geno, then they are better off.

So, we lose a situational pass rusher (who looked good in camp reports), a bitch QB (who also looked good in camp), and how does this impact our IR designated to return situation? Can both Milliner and Geno get that designation?

Don't know.  I have to wonder, though, if the Jets had a viable guy to back up Fitzpatrick, and by viable I do not mean Grossman or Thigpen, would they IR Geno for the season to let the  team know they mean business.  Geno is apparently pretty unpopular.  Not sure, but that is the way I read the team's reaction.

Don't know.  I have to wonder, though, if the Jets had a viable guy to back up Fitzpatrick, and by viable I do not mean Grossman or Thigpen, would they IR Geno for the season to let the  team know they mean business.  Geno is apparently pretty unpopular.  Not sure, but that is the way I read the team's reaction.

Hopefully Petty improves during the preseason/early regular season to the point where he could be a viable backup to Fitz and we can finally put an end to the Geno era. Until that happens or we trade for a serviceable QB, we are stuck with Geno the rest of this year and need him to get healthy. 

He is the same rookie who got drafted. He punched a jag QB in the face after having a finger wagged in his face. He will get another chance. Patriot, Bills or San Fran.

I don't think the jag part is as important as the QB part.  Clearly Geno doesn't have as many friends as you would expect inside that locker room, but what GM is going to risk his job to bring in IK?  Sucks how this played out...I had such high hopes for IK.

I don't think the jag part is as important as the QB part.  Clearly Geno doesn't have as many friends as you would expect inside that locker room, but what GM is going to risk his job to bring in IK?  Sucks how this played out...I had such high hopes for IK.

Many a GM have done worse. Truth is you are probably right. I just don't see it as a career ender. Yet never really had a career so I'm probably wrong.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/11/jets-knew-ik-enemkpali-was-a-character-risk-when-they-drafted-him/

IK Enemkpali, the linebacker who was cut by the Jets today for breaking the jaw of quarterback Geno Smith with a locker room sucker punch, has a history of violence that the Jets were aware of when they drafted him.

In college at Louisiana Tech, Enemkpali was arrested for battery on a police officer. Enemkpali was eventually sentenced to probation for simple battery. At the time that the Jets drafted him, Enemkpali said he had learned from the experience.

“I was just being a young. [it was] a young, hot-headed decision,” Enemkpali said last year. “I didn’t think about everything. If I knew what I know now, I would’ve gotten myself out of that situation. I lost my cool. That’s what it was. I didn’t know he was undercover, which is no excuse, but . . . Yeah, I lost my cool.”

If the Jets knew what they know now, they wouldn’t have drafted Enemkpali. Teams take chances on players with character red flags all the time, and sometimes those risks come back to bite the team. That’s certainly the case with the Jets, who are now without their starting quarterback for the beginning of the regular season.

Jets coach Todd Bowles indicated that cutting Enemkpali was an easy decision.

“IK is gone,” Bowles said. “It’s something we don’t tolerate, something we can’t stand. You don’t walk up to another man and punch him in the face.”

Bowles declined to explain what led to the punch, but he said he was disappointed in his players that they weren’t mature enough to talk through their differences.

“It’s something very childish that sixth graders could have talked about,” Bowles said.

But the Jets’ locker room lacked the maturity of a sixth-grade class. As a result, Enemkpali is gone, and Smith is having his jaw surgically repaired.

Through everything yesterday I totally didnt see this thread. 

This is total bullsh*t. IK was a model citizen here until yesterday, all of a sudden the dude is a menace with character issues. Complete bullsh*t read by profootballtalk. 

Archived