- Their front 7 is quick but small so once BUF got up in the game they
just pounded them on the ground to eat clock.  They did a better job
controlling Lesean Mccoy than the other BUF RB's because he tried to
"dance" to get his yards.  They had trouble with straight ahead runs

Other Notes

- Ryan had everyone in a frenzy, which is fine for the crowd but bad for his
team.  BUF was undisciplined committing 11 penalties for over 100 yards with
a lot of holds and personal fouls

Schedule makers did Indy a favor by giving them the Jets after Buffalo and I don't mean that as a slight to Gang Green. They should be prepared a little bit more for a blitzing team and will make adjustments accordingly. We will need a nice balanced scheme to confuse.  They key will be us being able to establish the run. 

I've said AJ was done after watching film of Fitz from last year. Reminds me of what happened to Keyshawn. Dropped off a cliff.

Dropped a lot of important balls, and let defenders through him to pick the ball off on a bunch of comeback attempts by Fitz.

Hopefully we don't get Fitz in many double digit deficits since he's much better playing with the lead.

Thanks for posting this! Any info on their corners? I think theyre going to have a hell of a time with our size offensively running and especially passing. Decker/Marshall to big for them to handle.

Vontae Davis didnt see a pass thrown in his direction till the 3rd quarter of the game.  He held Watkins catchless, with only 3 attempts in his direction, with one of them being a pass deflection.

But that's all good because Brandon Marshall ate Joe Haden's lunch on Sunday who is in the same conversation as Vontae. 

Darius Butler and Dwight Lowery are the only other recognizable names in the secondary and both can be easily had. 

Thanks for posting this! Any info on their corners? I think theyre going to have a hell of a time with our size offensively running and especially passing. Decker/Marshall to big for them to handle.

Vontae Davis shut out Watkins.  Harvin had the one bomb, but he made a diving grab.  He beat Butler, but didn't kill him.  They mostly kept it short.  Taylor had 195, but 50 was on that one play. 

Vontae Davis didnt see a pass thrown in his direction till the 3rd quarter of the game.  He held Watkins catchless, with only 3 attempts in his direction, with one of them being a pass deflection.

But that's all good because Brandon Marshall ate Joe Haden's lunch on Sunday who is in the same conversation as Vontae. 

Darius Butler and Dwight Lowery are the only other recognizable names in the secondary and both can be easily had. 

LOL Dwight Lowery......I hope he doesn't give them any inside info lolololol

Vontae is a good player but if Joe Haden got abused he's next. Darius vs Decker is a terrible match up for Indy but the worst match up is their front 7 vs our line and Ivory. Goodnight now

LOL Dwight Lowery......I hope he doesn't give them any inside info lolololol

Vontae is a good player but if Joe Haden got abused he's next. Darius vs Decker is a terrible match up for Indy but the worst match up is their front 7 vs our line and Ivory. Goodnight now

I just looked at the depth chart, they actually have Greg Toler as the CB2 opposite of Vontae.  I guess they have Butler covering the slot.  Lowery is playing FS.  Mike Adams playing SS. 

Thats weak sauce.  But the recipe is a healthy dose of Ivory, Powell and I'd activate Stacy too.

Vontae Davis is a good CB but he's not as good as Joe Haden.  And we
all saw what Marshall did to Haden on Sunday.  Add in Decker against
IND #2 CB (Toler/Butler?) and we have the advantage outside (how nice
is that to hear).  Remember our WR's faced Revis during camp they aren't
going to be "scared" of any CB's all season

Finally got a chance to watch last night, here's what I saw:

IND Offense

- BUF basically blitzed on every pass attempt to speed up Luck and force
him to get the ball out quick or flush him out of the pocket.  Credit to
their OLine because they did a decent job holding up (only 2 sacks).  I was
surprised IND didn't put Luck into the shotgun more often to give him a
little more time

- Luck was the only reason IND had a shot in the game as he made plays
under pressure and on the run.  He had one costly INT early on that changed
the momentum in the game

- Their running game was non-existant, Frank Gore was nothing special

- Andre Johnson was Andre Johnson in name only.  Looked slow and dropped
a lot of passes

IND Defense

- They tried to "speed up" Tyrod Taylor by applying pressure but they
allowed him to get out of the pocket to extend drives.  They also allowed
a 50+ yard TD to Harvin that threw the crowd into a frenzy.  Other than
that throw they did limit BUF passing game to dinks & dunks

- Their front 7 is quick but small so once BUF got up in the game they
just pounded them on the ground to eat clock.  They did a better job
controlling Lesean Mccoy than the other BUF RB's because he tried to
"dance" to get his yards.  They had trouble with straight ahead runs

Other Notes

- Ryan had everyone in a frenzy, which is fine for the crowd but bad for his
team.  BUF was undisciplined committing 11 penalties for over 100 yards with
a lot of holds and personal fouls

Thanks KRL. From what I saw Buffalo was getting to Luck only rushing 4 sometimes. They did not blitz on every pass play, they got to him rushing 4. 

Schedule makers did Indy a favor by giving them the Jets after Buffalo and I don't mean that as a slight to Gang Green. They should be prepared a little bit more for a blitzing team and will make adjustments accordingly. We will need a nice balanced scheme to confuse.  They key will be us being able to establish the run. 

I think our offense is very difficult to defend. Simple yet brilliant. Run the ball inside, and outside. 3 big receivers that can block, move from side to side, or into the slot. We are forcing matchup problems, and attacking them quickly. I don't know how you would go about stopping it as long as our defense allows us to stay patient.

If they drop an extra man in coverage, we run it right up the middle. Bring the man into the box, and we move Decker, or Marshall inside, and split Owusu out wide. If they follow with the CB into the slot then they have a nickel corner trying to defend a big fast WR on the outside. Leave the corner outside and they're covering Marshall with a slot corner, and probably giving up 10" on him. This is why Kerley was on the bench. Sorry Kerley. When Devin returns I'm not sure Kerley will get his one offensive snap.

Then we have a QB that can give a hard count, watch the defenders flinch, and utilize that information to switch from run to pass, or vice versa.

It's not an exciting high octane scheme, but it should control the clock, and limit the 3 and outs. It could frustrate teams into some big mistakes, and will probably lead to a lot of games like last week. We start slow, then build momentum roll into the 4th quarter to just start hammering away. So most our scoring should be in the 2nd, and 3rd quarters.

It's almost as if we have a competent scheme on offense. This was week one in a new system. Looked very good to me after the first quarter. Can't wait to see what it looks like after the bye.

This game should be a page out of the old Rex Ryan play book if you ask me.  Run, Run and run some more.  Shorten the game, keep Luck on the sidelines and pound the rock down their throat til they cry for mercy.

No. No. Need balance on offense always. Do not play into their hands and run against stacked box. Throw early in possessions and get them to defend the pass and then jam it down their. Idiotic ground and pound is not the way to go for this game. It is a good way to lose.

No. No. Need balance on offense always. Do not play into their hands and run against stacked box. Throw early in possessions and get them to defend the pass and then jam it down their. Idiotic ground and pound is not the way to go for this game. It is a good way to lose.

Well, I'm just going to have to disagree my friend.  The Bills ran the ball 36 times, threw the ball 19 times.  That's the recipe for success vs. the Colts.  Shorten the game, keep Luck off the field. 

Look back at what the Pats did vs. them in the AFCC game - Blount 135 yards, 3 TD's (45-3).  Or, look back at the last time the Jets played Luck and the Colts.  44 runs, 18 passes (35-9).

The Colts strength (or should be their strength) is vs. the pass because they feel they'll be protecting leads.  So they went and signed a great pass rusher in Trent Cole to play opposite Mathis.  They want to rush the passer and have you throw to DB's who are opportunistic.  They cant defend the run.  Make them stop the run, get them creeping closer the the LOS, then hit them with the play action.  That's how you beat Luck. 

I just looked at the depth chart, they actually have Greg Toler as the CB2 opposite of Vontae.  I guess they have Butler covering the slot.  Lowery is playing FS.  Mike Adams playing SS. 

Thats weak sauce.  But the recipe is a healthy dose of Ivory, Powell and I'd activate Stacy too.

Going to be interesting to see them try to cover Marshall in the slot. Stacy could be active, Fitz going to be throwing the screen to him and RBS all day or 150 yards for backs combined.

Well, I'm just going to have to disagree my friend.  The Bills ran the ball 36 times, threw the ball 19 times.  That's the recipe for success vs. the Colts.  Shorten the game, keep Luck off the field. 

Look back at what the Pats did vs. them in the AFCC game - Blount 135 yards, 3 TD's (45-3).  Or, look back at the last time the Jets played Luck and the Colts.  44 runs, 18 passes (35-9).

The Colts strength (or should be their strength) is vs. the pass because they feel they'll be protecting leads.  So they went and signed a great pass rusher in Trent Cole to play opposite Mathis.  They want to rush the passer and have you throw to DB's who are opportunistic.  They cant defend the run.  Make them stop the run, get them creeping closer the the LOS, then hit them with the play action.  That's how you beat Luck. 

Well those numbers are completely misleading. You need to be balanced to be able to run the ball and take time off the clock as the game goes on. Because you rush so much at the end and because the opposing defense is tired, there becomes little reason to pass, but it is a bad mistake to try and ground and pound early. You need to be balanced to pass biased to get some points and open up the run game.

And that is true of last week's game as well.

Buffalo was very balanced the first 22 plays which lead to 10 points:

Buffalo threw on 7 of first 11 plays (1 was scramble from covered pass play)

Buffalo threw on 10 of first 16 plays (scoring a touchdown)

Buffalo threw on 12 of first 22 plays (adding a field goal)

Only then did they start ground and pound as they had the lead, and were shutting down the colts. I could argue they should have stayed balanced, but the point remains. Buffalo was able to have that skew of pass versus run BECAUSE they threw the ball early and were balanced.

The game invalidates your point.

+1

The whole story about Gailey doing what works seems to go against "balanced offense".  You do what works and you keep doing it until they stop it.  No aiming for a specific pass/run ratio

Well those numbers are completely misleading. You need to be balanced to be able to run the ball and take time off the clock as the game goes on. Because you rush so much at the end and because the opposing defense is tired, there becomes little reason to pass, but it is a bad mistake to try and ground and pound early. You need to be balanced to pass biased to get some points and open up the run game.

And that is true of last week's game as well.

Buffalo was very balanced the first 22 plays which lead to 10 points:

Buffalo threw on 7 of first 11 plays (1 was scramble from covered pass play)

Buffalo threw on 10 of first 16 plays (scoring a touchdown)

Buffalo threw on 12 of first 22 plays (adding a field goal)

Only then did they start ground and pound as they had the lead, and were shutting down the colts. I could argue they should have stayed balanced, but the point remains. Buffalo was able to have that skew of pass versus run BECAUSE they threw the ball early and were balanced.

The game invalidates your point.

I'm not saying, dont throw the ball.  I'm saying run it until they stop it.  And you're stats are very misleading.  They were throwing on 2nd down in those first couple of series because it was 2nd and long in both scenarios.  And they had the ball in the 2 minute drill forcing them to throw which skewed the passing stats and I'm pretty confident, wasnt the game plan deployed by Rex and Co.  Oh yeah, they punted on both of their first series.  

But sure, lets go throw, throw, throw and get a couple of 3 and outs and give the ball back quickly to Luck.  That makes sense. 

Thanks KRL. From what I saw Buffalo was getting to Luck only rushing 4 sometimes. They did not blitz on every pass play, they got to him rushing 4. 

I didn't see the entire game, but according to what I have read that is statistically the most anybody has ever blitzed Luck.

Luck, according to play charting from profootballfocus.com, saw blitzes on 27 of his 54 dropbacks. On those plays, he was 10 for 25 with one touchdown and two interceptions. Absent the blitz, Luck was 16 of 24 with one touchdown and no interceptions.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2015/09/14/buffalo-bills-indianapolis-colts-andrew-luck-blitz/72282752/

But sure, lets go throw, throw, throw and get a couple of 3 and outs and give the ball back quickly to Luck.  That makes sense. 

Different philosophies. Forcing "ground and pound" in my view leads to more 3 and outs as running against a stacked box leads to 2nd and long  and lots of thirds and medium to long which become more difficult to convert. I have never believed in an unbalanced run approach early in games. I don't believe in throw, throw, throw either. I believe in balance, 55% of the time throwing on first down so you can run 60% of the time on third. I do not think it is a winning philosphy in the NFL any more.

Different philosophies. Forcing "ground and pound" in my view leads to more 3 and outs as running against a stacked box leads to 2nd and long  and lots of thirds and medium to long which become more difficult to convert. I have never believed in an unbalanced run approach early in games. I don't believe in throw, throw, throw either. I believe in balance, 55% of the time throwing on first down so you can run 60% of the time on third. I do not think it is a winning philosphy in the NFL any more.

The Seahawks have made back to back SB's with that philosophy. 

I agree you need balance but I think you need to tailor your game plan to your opponent. 

This game should be a page out of the old Rex Ryan play book if you ask me.  Run, Run and run some more.  Shorten the game, keep Luck on the sidelines and pound the rock down their throat til they cry for mercy.

I think it is really that simple.  If Luck spends more time on the bench then the field we have a legitimate shot. 

Finally got a chance to watch last night, here's what I saw:

IND Offense

- BUF basically blitzed on every pass attempt to speed up Luck and force
him to get the ball out quick or flush him out of the pocket.  Credit to
their OLine because they did a decent job holding up (only 2 sacks).  I was
surprised IND didn't put Luck into the shotgun more often to give him a
little more time

- Luck was the only reason IND had a shot in the game as he made plays
under pressure and on the run.  He had one costly INT early on that changed
the momentum in the game

- Their running game was non-existant, Frank Gore was nothing special

- Andre Johnson was Andre Johnson in name only.  Looked slow and dropped