Interesting admission from Jets beat writer

GREENBEAN

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of those upgrades Bowles had a direct hand in, especially in the secondary.  Much like Rex played a major hand in the huge decline in talent over his final 4 years.

Absolutely Idzik gave Rex everything he wanted including sitting on 50 million.. You couldn't be more right..:rolleyes: 

Such silly nonsense.  As if soundbites mean squadoosh other than providing a little additional entertainment. 

This team never won or lost because of a quote you dope.  Go ram your head into a wall.

If speeches could win titles then Abraham Lincoln would have 10 championship rings but how many does he have? 0. What does that tell you. And he got murdered by a guy who gave a lousy speech to boot. You know who else gave a good speech? Hitler. But what did he win? Poland. Big deal that's like winning the Pac-10. In sum I think that speeches are stupid and whAt really wins games is swagger and knocking the other guys block off. This is why Rex is better than Lincoln and Hitler.

---PFTPacmenter

If speeches could win titles then Abraham Lincoln would have 10 championship rings but how many does he have? 0. What does that tell you. And he got murdered by a guy who gave a lousy speech to boot. You know who else gave a good speech? Hitler. But what did he win? Poland. Big deal that's like winning the Pac-10. In sum I think that speeches are stupid and whAt really wins games is swagger and knocking the other guys block off. This is why Rex is better than Lincoln and Hitler.

---PFTPacmenter

did Idzik get to redeem his Starbucks points when buying for the office today?

---PFTPacmenter

It tells me football wasn't invented when Lincoln was alive..:)

It's different when you actually back up your guarantees.  

Don't you remember the little comment Belichick uttered about our defense as he was walking off the field.  You think Rex's comments didn't matter to him.  You think the NY Giants weren't a little extra motivated because of Rex claiming in his book that the Jets owned NYC...even thought the Giants had rings and we had nothing.

It's OK to like Rex (or love him for that matter) but you gotta admit...the guys mouth is an enormous problem.  Doesn't help his teams.

can you remind me what belecheat said about our defense?

and you know this how?  

Seriously?  For starters, he's a former DB coach.  He coached Cromartie in AZ.  Skrine fits Bowles' scheme of using press corners perfectly.  And when Gilchrist was brought in Bowles offered the following:

"The way the game is trending, you see more receiving tight ends that are keeping you in base defense, so you need an extra cover guy, and it can't be a corner, so it's got to be a quasi-safety guy that used to play corner and kind of be a jack of all trades to do those type of things," Bowles said.

Bowles was in Miami when Brandon Marshall was there.  

Not to mention, the Jets signing Ryan Fitzpatrick had to have gone through Chan Gailey and thus Todd Bowles as well.

Are we still pretending that in this day and age the HC has little control over what players he gets? 

Absolutely Idzik gave Rex everything he wanted including sitting on 50 million.. You couldn't be more right..:rolleyes: 

Well maybe if Rex wasn't busy getting his prior GM and coordinators fired he wouldn't have been stuck with Idzik.  In fact he was stuck with Idzik because Idzik was the only guy to take the job with Rex on board.  You really think a guy like Mac would want to GM with that guy coaching?

The roster was in a tailspin before Idzik ever arrived, and that fact cannot be fully pinned on Mike Tannenbaum either.  For further evidence of how a Head Coach can play a major role in ruining a team's roster, see the 2015 Buffalo Bills. 

Well maybe if Rex wasn't busy getting his prior GM and coordinators fired he wouldn't have been stuck with Idzik.  In fact he was stuck with Idzik because Idzik was the only guy to take the job with Rex on board.  You really think a guy like Mac would want to GM with that guy coaching?

I think Rex should have gone with the guy who hired him Tanny..And  I love the Mac and Bowles combo, what I disagree with is the constant distortion of facts when it comes to Rex.. Saying the Jets already won as many games as they did last year implying everything was the same as it was last season is just silly unless your a true Rex hater..

The roster was in a tailspin before Idzik ever arrived, and that fact cannot be fully pinned on Mike Tannenbaum either.  For further evidence of how a Head Coach can play a major role in ruining a team's roster, see the 2015 Buffalo Bills. 

Uh. Doug Whaley is the GM up there, ok?

It's different when you actually back up your guarantees.  

Don't you remember the little comment Belichick uttered about our defense as he was walking off the field.  You think Rex's comments didn't matter to him.  You think the NY Giants weren't a little extra motivated because of Rex claiming in his book that the Jets owned NYC...even thought the Giants had rings and we had nothing.

It's OK to like Rex (or love him for that matter) but you gotta admit...the guys mouth is an enormous problem.  Doesn't help his teams.

This 100%

What you say matters for folks to act like it doesn't matter makes no sense.

Personalities make a difference or why have different coaches.

Or the 5-11 2000 Pat Team that was in the playoffs 2 of the previous 3 years before BB?? 

it didn't seem to be a problem while he was at the helm of a greater run of Jet prosperity than anything I had witnessed in the prior 25 years of watching them.

in fact if anything his bombastic approach helped.

Winning cures all ills.  We would all hate Namath too if we lost SBIII.  Rex was entertaining when he won.  When he stopped winning just another loud mouthed buffoon.  

Winning cures all ills.  We would all hate Namath too if we lost SBIII.  Rex was entertaining when he won.  When he stopped winning just another loud mouthed buffoon.  

yeah I get it.  my gripe is that I actually watched most of the press conferences and a huge majority of what people whine about are things he never said or were taken out of context.

we still have a million guys on this site saying he guaranteed wins and or SB's which he never did. 

we still have a million guys on this site saying he guaranteed wins and or SB's which he never did. 

Ryan had a declaration to make.

"I believe this is the year we're going to win the Super Bowl," Ryan said. "The fact is, I thought we'd win it the first two years. I guarantee we'll win it this year.

yeah I get it.  my gripe is that I actually watched most of the press conferences and a huge majority of what people whine about are things he never said or were taken out of context.

Rex has always said 2 things.. The Pats have us beat in 2 positions QB and HC..

Dont care.  Glad he is Buffalo's problem.  I'm enjoying this season more than any in a long time.  

can you remind me what belecheat said about our defense?

http://nypost.com/2011/11/14/patriots-coach-mocks-jets-defense-with-vulgar-phrase/

Patriots coach mocks Jets defense with vulgar phrase

Who says Bill Belichick is a boring quote?

As the Patriots coach walked off the MetLife Stadium field, he threw his arm around his son, Stephen, and added an exclamation mark to the Patriots’ 37-16 victory over the Jets.

“Thirty-seven points on the best defense in the league, s— my d—,” the Patriots coach said in celebration.

FOLLOW BRIAN ON TWITTER

BOX SCORE

PHOTOS: PATRIOTS CRUSH JETS

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

The remark just adds to the humiliating defeat the Patriots handed the Jets. The man in the hoodie doesn’t deliver gems like that to the press, but he clearly relished in beating the brash-talking Rex Ryan and the Jets.

“That tells you how big a game that was for both teams,” Ryan said Monday. “I don’t take offense to it. Quite honestly, I said the exact same thing to my son when we were walking off the field after we beat them in the playoffs about their offense being the No. 1 offense in the league. I’ve got no problem with that.

Ryan was asked if he thought Belichick knew about that previous conversation, which the Jets head coach then admitted never haappened.

“Realistically, you know my son wasn’t at that playoff game, right?” Ryan said. “But it sounded like a hell of a story.

“It’s something I’ll bring up to him after we beat them in the playoffs again this year.”

Belichick was asked about the comment this morning on WFAN.

“Any conversations I had privately I’ll keep private,” he said.

Later, at his regular Monday news conference, Belichick said, “I don’t remember it that way. I don’t think we’re here to talk about that. If you want to talk about the game, great.”

With AP

Ryan had a declaration to make.

"I believe this is the year we're going to win the Super Bowl," Ryan said. "The fact is, I thought we'd win it the first two years. I guarantee we'll win it this year.

You got me.  But for context this was said in Feb a month removed from the first AFC championship game and he was still riding high.  I'll give you it was unnecessary but it was different than saying it during an actual season.

I was referring more to the "soon to be champs" thing he did on ESPN.

If 0 trophies of any kind and 4 straight years of finishing with -90+ net points is your idea of "prosperity" I don't want to live on this planet with you anymore.  Stop defending him, it's over now, you lost the war.

In the other thread about Bowles's approach to this game, I basically admitted that I got caught up in Rex, his early success.  He was fun, a breath of fresh air after Mangini, totally different than most HC's and while I do think he can coach...maybe I got too caught up and couldnt see how his approach was damning to a team. While I agree with Pac, I dont think sound bytes win or lose games, it's the approach that creates a different level of focus and preparation for the team.  Rex made it too much about himself and put the game on some stupid sh*t instead of just treating it as business as usual.  It's hard to focus when you present just another game in that manner.  

However, the way Jets fan treat those back to back AFCCG runs, baffles me.  I'll never get it.  This board sneezes at it, talking about trophies this that and the other...but fail to realize that there is a very good chance, it never happens again.  For a fan base so accustomed to losing, it shocks me how dismissive everyone is to those accomplishments. It's really ******* hard to do and we should know that better than most.  I hope we get another chance to do something similar again but there is no guarantee.  Especially for a team so snake bitten at the QB position.  

I appreciate what Rex did those years.  They were exciting as hell and my favorite years as a Jets fan.  I hope Bowles can create that excitement and have similar success because I'm loving what I've seen so far but it aint easy.

In the other thread about Bowles's approach to this game, I basically admitted that I got caught up in Rex, his early success.  He was fun, a breath of fresh air after Mangini, totally different than most HC's and while I do think he can coach...maybe I got too caught up and couldnt see how his approach was damning to a team. While I agree with Pac, I dont think sound bytes win or lose games, it's the approach that creates a different level of focus and preparation for the team.  Rex made it too much about himself and put the game on some stupid sh*t instead of just treating it as business as usual.  It's hard to focus when you present just another game in that manner.  

However, the way Jets fan treat those back to back AFCCG runs, baffles me.  I'll never get it.  This board sneezes at it, talking about trophies this that and the other...but fail to realize that there is a very good chance, it never happens again.  For a fan base so accustomed to losing, it shocks me how dismissive everyone is to those accomplishments. It's really ******* hard to do and we should know that better than most.  I hope we get another chance to do something similar again but there is no guarantee.  Especially for a team so snake bitten at the QB position.  

I appreciate what Rex did those years.  They were exciting as hell and my favorite years as a Jets fan.  I hope Bowles can create that excitement and have similar success because I'm loving what I've seen so far but it aint easy.

It's a "what have you done for me lately" league and in hindsight, it's very easy to see that our success those first 2 years were not entirely the credit of Rex Ryan.  Mike Tannenbaum attempted to put together a winner quickly by burning draft picks and free agent dollars and essentially mortgage our future.  The short-term results were strong.  We had a fantastic offensive line those first 2 seasons, had Darrelle Revis at his peak, and Rex's schemes on defense took the league by storm.  It was a lot of fun at the time.

But remember, each of our last 3 coaches had bright spots that were overshadowed by ultimate failure.  Eventually, bad coaches get figured out in this league.  It's no small wonder that Rex's teams have failed against veteran coaches.  John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Tom Coughlin, Belichick.....they all played Rex like a fiddle his last 4 years here and now his first year in Buffalo. 

The goal as a HC in this league is to have sustained success.  Rex was not the guy to do it, and never seemed to learn from his lessons.  That's what makes us look back on '09 and '10 like ancient history.  Because it really was.  The Rex who was in charge then was a mirage.  The real Rex is the one we're seeing now.

The hope is that Bowles has the temperament to handle this early success well and see the big picture.  Early signs say he does, but of course it's only been 5 games. 

The only Jet who ever guaranteed victory is also the most beloved player in team history.  Rex never guranteed a win.

and no..  I don't think a little talk is the reason the Giants won the Superbowl or the Pats beat us 100-0 on Monday night - just like I don't think it helped them with the most thrilling win I've ever witnessed in 30 years of watching the team in Foxboro.

The Pats hated the Jets long before Rex showed up and will hate them long after.  Brady wants to beat us by 600 points on Sunday.  If Bowles said something fresh in a press conference does that mean he now wants to win by 605?

uh....I think his first press conference he predicted a super bowl win...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3848743

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Making one bold declaration after another, Rex Ryan gave his vision for the New York Jets: a Super Bowl trophy and a White House visit.

"With all the cameras and all that, I was looking for our new president back there," Ryan said with a big, bright smile Wednesday, moments after being introduced as the team's head coach.

"You know," he added, "I think we'll get to meet him in the next couple years anyway."

Dont care.  Glad he is Buffalo's problem.  I'm enjoying this season more than any in a long time.  

well yeah..  but i think it has to do more with what players are on the field and not what bowels press conferences sound like.

well yeah..  but i think it has to do more with what players are on the field and not what bowels press conferences sound like.

I don't listen to no freaking press conferences.      I watch games.  I am enjoying the product at a level I forgot I  could.  Been great for my digestion.        

Go to his first conference where he said he'd be meeting Obama at the White House soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived