Semi-OT: Schitty failling at University of Georgia too

RoadFan

Wait, afo is claiming he wasn't a failure at any of the 3 places he's been employed the last 10 years?  The record speaks for itself.  He's coached many different players and QB's, and has been an utter failure:

Jets (OC) - 6 seasons

2006:  18th in points, 25th in yards, 12th DVOA

2007:  25th, 26th, 22nd

2008:  9th, 16th, 18th

2009:  17th, 20th, 22nd

2010:  13th, 11th, 16th

2011:  13th, 25th, 21st

AVG:  16th in points, 21st in yards, 19th in DVOA

Rams (OC) - 3 seasons

2012:  25th in points, 23rd in yards, 21st in DVOA

2013:  21st, 30th, 22nd

2014:  21st, 28th, 25th

AVG:  22nd in points, 27th in yards, 23rd in DVOA

Georgia (OC/QB Coach)

* 103rd in passing yards per game (out of 127 schools)

* 98th in first downs

* 75th in total offense

Conclusion:  Brian Schottenheimer is terrible at his job.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, afo is claiming he wasn't a failure at any of the 3 places he's been employed the last 10 years?  The record speaks for itself.  He's coached many different players and QB's, and has been an utter failure:

Jets (OC) - 6 seasons

2006:  18th in points, 25th in yards, 12th DVOA

2007:  25th, 26th, 22nd

2008:  9th, 16th, 18th

2009:  17th, 20th, 22nd

2010:  13th, 11th, 16th

2011:  13th, 25th, 21st

AVG:  16th in points, 21st in yards, 19th in DVOA

Rams (OC) - 3 seasons

2012:  25th in points, 23rd in yards, 21st in DVOA

2013:  21st, 30th, 22nd

2014:  21st, 28th, 25th

AVG:  22nd in points, 27th in yards, 23rd in DVOA

Georgia (OC/QB Coach)

* 103rd in passing yards per game (out of 127 schools)

* 98th in first downs

* 75th in total offense

Conclusion:  Brian Schottenheimer is terrible at his job.

FACTS

Thats  great...lets not let facts get in the way of my emotionally driven tirade!!!   Love it!

Think about money ball the movie how "stats" finally drove the team.  

More seriously, I believe that the "crap shoot" approach to the NFL draft can be minimized, even if gently by using stats.

Teams that reach often are low end teams, Browns, Raiders and in some cases JETS. 

A perfect example is REX's pick of John Conner. NO research, he simply saw him and wanted him while looking for a line backer.

John Conner has had a decent career given he was a 7th pick and a blocking FB, ST player.  His only issues are injury related or being on the bottom of rosters.  Hate using him as an example to anything stupid Rex did.  Its just too emotionally driven.

it amazes me how fans think.  everything is black and white.  we ignore he got Chad Pennington after TWO surgeries on his throwing shoulder when he didn't have a strong arm to begin with where he helped lead us to 10 wins a PO berth, the next year Chad was hurt AGAIN and he had a hurt Chad and a healthy Kellen Clemens to work with.  The next year he got a HOFer in a new system for the first time in 15 years, a guy who NEVER wanted to be here, a guy who was helping packer opponents prepare for GB rather than learning his new playbook and yet we were 8-3 until favre sabotaged our season.  a year later he had a raw rookie and navigated him to a good rookie season and that QB played his best football in postseason and we made the title game, a year later he elevated that then 2nd year QB to be a top 10 type QB despite injuries/suspensions all around him, a year later they took away much of the talent around the QB and the QB set franchise record for total TDs.  he leaves after that season and that QB who was developing has his worst season in the league and our O's were terrible the next few years until this year.  

How has SL done replacing him? they just FIRED their OC less than a year into the job.  Sometimes we need to discuss situations not just perceptions.

Next time.  Hard to do on an android phone.  Plenty of articles out there about Georgia's lousy offense.  Point was "Schitty sucks!" and his threads were fabulous fun.

all good. I too have problems when posting from my iPad or iPhone. But I gotta say it or @Maxman will fire me from my $100k per year with full benefits and incentive packages moderating position 

John Conner has had a decent career given he was a 7th pick and a blocking FB, ST player.  His only issues are injury related or being on the bottom of rosters.  Hate using him as an example to anything stupid Rex did.  Its just too emotionally driven.

Conner was a 5th rd pick we didn't have a 7th in 2010..What a bust year that was with Vlad,Joe Puke and the 1st pick with Kyle stiff neck Wilson..:rolleyes:

Wasn't that Rex's biggest problem?  He coached almost entirely with his emotions, and that impacted personnel/assistant coach decisions too.  Coaching with emotions is OK for a coordinator to do.  The HC needs to act more like upper management and have a little bit of a cold-blooded aspect to him.

Understood but thats not really the point  we were discussing.  

How about Scotty McNight as a coach's pick? :)

Brady was a 6th rounder and Jamarcus was a 1st.

That doesnt lend itself to saying take a QB in the 6th round.....

BITONI had a great post about left tackles showing that almost 3/4 of all LTs in the league are 1st rounder.

Wasn't that Rex's biggest problem?  He coached almost entirely with his emotions, and that impacted personnel/assistant coach decisions too.  Coaching with emotions is OK for a coordinator to do.  The HC needs to act more like upper management and have a little bit of a cold-blooded aspect to him.

That's a good point 80 and one of the reasons I have aiways said Rex coached like a fan..Just look at the game day thread and you can see the emotional range from hate to love to hate etc for the whole game.. For the team it leads to many highs and lows something the stoic Bowles doesn't do..

That's a good point 80 and one of the reasons I have aiways said Rex coached like a fan..Just look at the game day thread and you can see the emotional range from hate to love to hate etc for the whole game.. For the team it leads to many highs and lows something the stoic Bowles doesn't do..

Wow... finally growing up. :)

Wow... finally growing up.

I have always said that it's the Dumb people can't separate liking the HC as a person while understanding he's not a great HC.. If you had to tell the truth for a whole day your head would probably explode.. But being a CPA I understand lying is the way you make a living..LOL

Tinstar as well. His signature statement of "the real problem isn't Schotty but Shoddy Sanchez" was laughable. Sanchez wasn't great but Schottenheimer coached multiple QB's and "coordinated" many different offenses and everything he touched turned to sh*t. 

bitonti and CBNY were big time Schotty defenders on JI.

The guy was a disaster.  He cost us a playoff appearance in '08 and a SB appearance in 2010.

**** him

I have always said that it's the Dumb people can't separate liking the HC as a person while understanding he's not a great HC.. If you had to tell the truth for a whole day your head would probably explode.. But being a CPA I understand lying is the way you make a living..LOL

He was likable as a person for only so long. The majority hoped he'd grow into the position and improve as a HC. Never happened.

Sorry, wasnt clear.  Was playing on his words, complaining about Conner is emotionally driven.  He wasnt a complete bust ala Ducass or suck like a Wilson.  He didnt work out, not like he was a 1st round loss.  He contributed a little, got hurt and was released.  

He was likable as a person for only so long. The majority hoped he'd grow into the position and improve as a HC. Never happened.

Rex should have stayed a DC or went into sports TV which I think he would be great at.. Being a HC just isn't his forte too much responsibility..:)

It leads to equal parts highs and lows early on.  Until the team starts tuning him out (which is always inevitable).  Then it's only lows.  That's why this will be his last HC job.  Eventually the act (for lack of a better word, since it's no "act"....that's who he is and he isn't changing) wears off.  Then who hires you to be a HC?

From early evidence, Bowles seems to have the right personality for the job.  That's huge.

It leads to equal parts highs and lows early on.  Until the team starts tuning him out (which is always inevitable).  Then it's only lows.  That's why this will be his last HC job.  Eventually the act wears off.  Then who hires you to be a HC?

True..After a while most teams seem to tune out their HC I think the Giants are doing that now..

Sorry, wasnt clear.  Was playing on his words, complaining about Conner is emotionally driven.  He wasnt a complete bust ala Ducass or suck like a Wilson.  He didnt work out, not like he was a 1st round loss.  He contributed a little, got hurt and was released.  

I guess, but teams tend to make their mark on nailing some of those mid-late round picks.  And it wasn't the first time Rex used his influence to make a horrid draft decision.  Scotty McKnight sticks out too.  ALL draft picks are valuable, and you have to make them count.  Just because it didn't hurt OR help us doesn't mean it isn't a decision deserving of criticism. 

As someone else pointed out, that pick could have been used on Antonio Brown.  It likely would not have, but it's still possible.  And had that been the case, maybe the whole draft looks like a success story as a result.  Because that's what good franchises do.  They miss on a ton of picks, but the ones they get right end up franchise-changing picks.

I guess, but teams tend to make his mark on nailing some of those mid-round picks.  And it wasn't the first time Rex used his influence to make a horrid draft decision.  Scotty McKnight sticks out too.  ALL draft picks are valuable, and you have to make them count.  Just because it didn't hurt OR help us doesn't mean it isn't a decision deserving of criticism.  As someone else pointed out, that pick could have been used on Antonio Brown.  It likely would not have, but it's still possible.

Brandon was a 4th rd pick Terrell Davis a 6th like Brady was.. All picks matter and that includes some UDFA's like Wayne and Snacks..:)

True..After a while most teams seem to tune out their HC I think the Giants are doing that now..

Only after 2 Super Bowls.  Both of which came in seasons where he b*tch-slapped Rex Ryan in Head-to-head contests, and were used as momentum heading into the playoffs both years.  It's nice to be on the winning side of the coin this year. 

I guess, but teams tend to make their mark on nailing some of those mid-late round picks.  And it wasn't the first time Rex used his influence to make a horrid draft decision.  Scotty McKnight sticks out too.  ALL draft picks are valuable, and you have to make them count.  Just because it didn't hurt OR help us doesn't mean it isn't a decision deserving of criticism.  As someone else pointed out, that pick could have been used on Antonio Brown.  It likely would not have, but it's still possible.

Totally get that and agree.  Just John Conner is hardly the end all argument that Rex sucks.  

And every HC has influence, trys to get a guy picked.  Ultimately its the GMs fault for listening to someone who is biased, less informed etc and who can simply be told NO

I guess, but teams tend to make their mark on nailing some of those mid-late round picks.  And it wasn't the first time Rex used his influence to make a horrid draft decision.  Scotty McKnight sticks out too.  ALL draft picks are valuable, and you have to make them count.  Just because it didn't hurt OR help us doesn't mean it isn't a decision deserving of criticism.  As someone else pointed out, that pick could have been used on Antonio Brown.  It likely would not have, but it's still possible.  And had that been the case, maybe the whole draft looks like a success story as a result.

Absolutely...  but wait for it. The JETS board will pummel you and state things like the draft is a crap shoot etc....  BullShlt.

Good teams draft and develop better than bad teams.  That simple.

Is there an element of luck, unknown?  Certainly.  BUT taking a player over SAPP, Marino etc.. thats just poor management acting emotionally thinking they know something.

Totally get that and agree.  Just John Conner is hardly the end all argument that Rex sucks.  

And every HC has influence, trys to get a guy picked.  Ultimately its the GMs fault for listening to someone who is biased, less informed etc and who can simply be told NO

Tannenbaum, Rex, and Schotty were just such a horrible package deal.  Tannenbaum desperately wanted to be the cool kid (and thus gave Rex what he wanted), Rex Ryan was the class clown, and Schottenheimer was the PE teacher who thinks he's smarter than he is.  All with a clueless Principal in Woody.

Well Tanny did say no to Rex who didn't want Hill and no to Bradway who banged the table for Wilson..

Archived