Winning records/schedule strength

Jetsfan80

But we're talking about this year. It has nothing to do with next year. This current team I feel can compete if they make it to the playoffs. I don't think they can win a Superbowl, but it would not shock me if they won a playoffs game or two

I don't think this team deserves to be in the playoffs based on the way they've played so far, but they definitely have a shot to make the playoffs based on the soft schedule. Gun to my head I'd rather take the draft picks than lose in the playoffs because I don't believe this team's success is sustainable 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Far too many people have decided to think negatively about our success this year.  The most common line?  Our inability to beat teams with winning records.  What we fail to realize is that this has been an unusual season.  The facts:

* Only 11 of the 32 teams (34 %) in the NFL have winning records heading into Week 14.  We're one of those 11. 

* Last year, 16 (50 %) of teams had winning records.  That's a far more typical number.

* We've only had 1 game this season against a team with a winning record currently.  New England, Week 7, on the road, and the game came down to the final possession. 

* Had we not beaten the Colts in Week 2, they would have a 7-5 record.  Evidently, this would have thus become a loss to a "quality team" rather than what it is:  A win over a current division leader.  I'll take the latter.

* Had we been swept by the Dolphins this year rather than the alternative, they would also have a 7-5 record.  I'm happy with sweeping them for the first time since 2007. 

* 2 other wins (Giants, Redskins) were against teams currently very much alive for a playoff spot.  That's a far cry from beating teams who have nothing to play for (like last year, when we beat the hapless Titans in Week 15 and the Dolphins in Week 17).

You can only play the schedule that's in front of you.  This isn't college football, where you make your own schedule and thus have control over playing cupcakes at home or tough games on the road.  We shouldn't apologize for our relative schedule strength or use it as a reason to be negative. 

The fact is, just about in the league has played a pretty weak schedule because of how top-heavy the league has been.  Only the Rams, 49ers, Bears and Lions can really say they played tough schedules.  Why?  The NFC West and NFC North are the only 2 divisions in the NFL that have multiple teams who have won 8 or more games so far this year. 

The Jets just won a meaningful December game this past Sunday.  It's OK to feel good about it.  Every game from here on out is like a playoff game anyways, and there are no easy wins in the NFL.  I'm simply thankful we have something to play for coming off a 4-12 season.  What say you?

after the Geno years and generally putrid play it is a mystery why people can't just enjoy this ride and instead seem willing to risk a season with meaningful December football for some perceived "upside" of Geno--which has never been shown or hinted at to exist--if they were making the decision. 

Man how crazy would it be if that last Bills vs Jets game decided who got the last seed for the wildcard? Can easily see it playing out like this with both teams schedules.

I think Pitt or KC would have to have a real collapse for this to happen ... I can see it being that Jets need a win to get in, but having it being both teams in that position looks less likely IMHO.

But you never know. ;)

And it effects nothing.  Old players are replaced and you move on.  Free agency changes a lot of the problems, you don't need multiple drafts.  We're old at positions you can be older, QB & OL.  The LBS need to be upgraded.  Point is replace a Colon, Pace, Cro and the age of the team changes drastically in relation to others.  I'd bet off the top of my head that the difference between the oldest roster and youngest isn't more than a few years

Exactly.  Pace (35), Colon (32), and Cro (31) likely won't be on the team next year.  We have several "core" guys that are over 30, but we also have Wilkerson (26), Carpenter (26), Richardson (25), Pryor (23) and Leonard Williams (21) as part of that "core group".  Decker (28) and Gilchrist (27) are right in the middle of their prime.  If we draft well, we'll add more young pieces to that "core group", with one of them hopefully being a QB, if "our guy" is not Bryce Petty (24).

It only takes 1-2 offseasons for a team to suddenly become one of the youngest in the league. 

I think Pitt or KC would have to have a real collapse for this to happen ... I can see it being that Jets need a win to get in, but having it being both teams in that position looks less likely IMHO.

But you never know. ;)

We're in today with KC.  Pitt's out looking in.  

We don't need anyone to have a real collapse.  Pitt needs us to collapse and KC doesn't care at this point

I don't think this team deserves to be in the playoffs based on the way they've played so far, but they definitely have a shot to make the playoffs based on the soft schedule. Gun to my head I'd rather take the draft picks than lose in the playoffs because I don't believe this team's success is sustainable 

Define "deserve"  The Jets have not played great, but who "deserves" to be in the playoffs?  The Pats, Bengals and Broncos are good teams.  The rest of the league is no more or less deserving than us.  We are in the mix and IMO we deserve to be.

Exactly.  Pace (35), Colon (32), and Cro (31) likely won't be on the team next year.  We have several "core" guys that are over 30, but we also have Wilkerson (26), Carpenter (26), Richardson (25), Pryor (23) and Leonard Williams (21) as part of that "core group".  Decker (28) and Gilchrist (27) are right in the middle of their prime.  If we draft well, we'll add more young pieces to that "core group", with one of them hopefully being a QB, if "our guy" is not Bryce Petty (24).

It only takes 1-2 offseasons for a team to suddenly become one of the youngest in the league. 

I am not that enamored with our "core group" of young players, but IMO we are not going to be losing any vets that can't be replaced.  I do not think the team will necessarily get younger, but there will always be a steady stream of vets available.  For instance, Erin Henderson is not a stud, but he is a capable player.  He's not a young first contract guy, but he can play and fill the role for a couple of years.  This FO does not seem insane and gets multiple players for each position.  It should not be too hard to maintain or improve our talent level.   Aging guys to worry about are Revis, Marshall, Mangold and Ferguson.   None of them appears likely to fall off a cliff, so I think we have some years for the FO to replace them and it won't have to be all at once. 

I remember a debate about ages of rosters years ago and when you look beyond who's were on the list it's ridiculous.  The youngest teams roster in the NFL was 25 and change, the youngest 27.  The who,e back and forth was over a year and change if you were going back between one of the oldest and one of the youngest.  The league and the influx of talent every off season creates competition and turnover every year.  

It's not baseball where you can have a whole team of 30+ year olds.  A few core players who are older will screw with your average age and give someone ammo for a pointless argument.  

Good post.  The whole logic is stupid.  So and so isnt good because they havent beat anyone.  No different than the so and so shouldnt expect the playoffs because they were bad last year.  It's all completely ridiculous and holds zero merit. 

The Panthers have only beat 2 teams with winning records, I guess they suck and are pretenders right? 

A couple of years ago the Pats made the Super Bowl playing the easiest schedule in the league.  I think if I remember correctly, they only beat 2 teams with a winning record on the entire season until the playoffs. Guess they sucked that year too?

Good post.  The whole logic is stupid.  So and so isnt good because they havent beat anyone.  No different than the so and so shouldnt expect the playoffs because they were bad last year.  It's all completely ridiculous and holds zero merit. 

The Panthers have only beat 2 teams with winning records, I guess they suck and are pretenders right? 

A couple of years ago the Pats made the Super Bowl playing the easiest schedule in the league.  I think if I remember correctly, they only beat 2 teams with a winning record on the entire season until the playoffs. Guess they sucked that year too?

Carolina has been playing well, the jets have not. But if you're satisfied with gift wins against crappy teams, go ahead and enjoy yourself while it lasts

I remember reading somewhere years ago that the undefeated Dolphins team played one the weakest schedules ever, the weakest for a SB winning team.

I've never heard anyone quote this, don't think anyone cares.

Some Jets fans for some unknown reason feel the need to look for reasons to piss on our own parade. 

Carolina has been playing well, the jets have not. But if you're satisfied with gift wins against crappy teams, go ahead and enjoy yourself while it lasts

I will enjoy myself.  Thank you for giving me permission.

Carolina is only playing well because they havent played anyone.  So it doesnt count that they're 12-0.

I remember reading somewhere years ago that the undefeated Dolphins team played one the weakest schedules ever, the weakest for a SB winning team.

I've never heard anyone quote this, don't think anyone cares.

Some Jets fans for some unknown reason feel the need to look for reasons to piss on our own parade. 

I like being 7-5 more than being 2-10 but I'll enjoy it while it lasts because cant wait gave me permission. 

just don't come crying when the jets bweak your widdle heart, because I told you so... F'n sensitive homer pussies

I promise I wont come crying.  

But do you promise to tell me I told you so, when, well, I'm not sure what you're telling me but just let me know when we are at the point you've told me so.

just don't come crying when the jets bweak your widdle heart, because I told you so... F'n sensitive homer pussies

What exactly did you tell anyone?  That 7-5 isn't really 7-5? 

You don't seem to get that good teams pile up wins against the shlt teams on their schedule.  The top teams win the few, very few games against tougher teams. 

No one here seems to be saying we're a top team.  But thanks for reminding us and thinking you're Nostradamus for it

I promise I wont come crying.  

But do you promise to tell me I told you so, when, well, I'm not sure what you're telling me but just let me know when we are at the point you've told me so.

We could lose every game the rest of the season and it wouldn't come close to the standard Jets "heartbreak".  I do appreciate cant wait's concern about this though, and the fact that he's allowing us to enjoy it while we can.  So generous of him.

We could lose every game the rest of the season and it wouldn't come close to the standard Jets "heartbreak".  I do appreciate cant wait's concern about this though, and the fact that he's allowing us to enjoy it while we can.  So generous of him.

why do you care so much about my opinion of the team? You seem to enjoy antagonizing people who you disagree with, following them around from thread to thread, why?

It's a win-win this week for cant wait.

Lose to the Titans this week:  "Told you so, we didn't beat any good teams."

Beat the Titans this week:  "Told you so, we only beat bad teams."

please refrain from discussing me, I come here to talk about football, not fight with instigators 

It's a win-win this week for cant wait.

Lose to the Titans this week:  "Told you so, we didn't beat any good teams."

Beat the Titans this week:  "Told you so, we only beat bad teams."

It's a trap game, Mariota is putting up numbers and is dangerous even though their record sucks and we're not that good.

But if we lose some will compare us to the all time great collapses of the NFL.  The flip flop is annoying to watch.  Bowles is the best, Bowles is clueless.  Bowles was too conservative followed by Bowles is too aggressive.  

i never said you shouldn't enjoy yourself, jesus christ you're a crybaby 

try some cheese with your whine next time

please refrain from discussing me, I come here to talk about football, not fight with instigators 

haha

Far too many people have decided to think negatively about our success this year.  The most common line?  Our inability to beat teams with winning records.  What we fail to realize is that this has been an unusual season.  The facts:

* Only 11 of the 32 teams (34 %) in the NFL have winning records heading into Week 14.  We're one of those 11. 

* Last year, 16 (50 %) of teams had winning records.  That's a far more typical number.

* We've only had 1 game this season against a team with a winning record currently.  New England, Week 7, on the road, and the game came down to the final possession. 

* Had we not beaten the Colts in Week 2, they would have a 7-5 record.  Evidently, this would have thus become a loss to a "quality team" rather than what it is:  A win over a current division leader.  I'll take the latter.

* Had we been swept by the Dolphins this year rather than the alternative, they would also have a 7-5 record.  I'm happy with sweeping them for the first time since 2007. 

* 2 other wins (Giants, Redskins) were against teams currently very much alive for a playoff spot.  That's a far cry from beating teams who have nothing to play for (like last year, when we beat the hapless Titans in Week 15 and the Dolphins in Week 17).

You can only play the schedule that's in front of you.  This isn't college football, where you make your own schedule and thus have control over playing cupcakes at home or tough games on the road.  We shouldn't apologize for our relative schedule strength or use it as a reason to be negative. 

The fact is, just about in the league has played a pretty weak schedule because of how top-heavy the league has been.  Only the Rams, 49ers, Bears and Lions can really say they played tough schedules.  Why?  The NFC West and NFC North are the only 2 divisions in the NFL that have multiple teams who have won 8 or more games so far this year. 

The Jets just won a meaningful December game this past Sunday.  It's OK to feel good about it.  Every game from here on out is like a playoff game anyways, and there are no easy wins in the NFL.  I'm simply thankful we have something to play for coming off a 4-12 season.  What say you?

If this schedule was the usual and if Fitz was on last years team it wouldnt matter. He would go "MIN" 11-5. 

Im dealing with it! 

Archived