DAL Observations

KRL

Yup. People have to realize Dallas OL and DL are pretty good. a Fitz was under a lot of duress.  bUt when are we going to lost that mind boggling 4th and less than one play call?  Handoff to Ivory from 8 yards deep?  My only gripe.

Then later, on 3rd and one they ran it again, and it got stuffed again. Bowles wants to be a power running team, to be able to force it in there, but we could not last night, at all.

It was like 3 or 4 times where we tried this and failed.  At some point, you need to learn you lesson and try something else.

I don't think Ivory is that good a short yardage runner.  He does a bunch of his damage bouncing outside and he likes to take the ball from really deep.  He is good at getting yards after contact, but he has never seemed too successful in short yardage.  Bowles has been leaving a ton of points on the field going for it so much.  Haven't been a fan of all the 4th down nonsense.

Snacks has been a monster for the past 5 weeks.  I've said it every week and last night was probably his best game. 

Leonard Williams had his best game too.    His motor was on full display.  Sack, multiple QB hurries, tackles and he hawked Whitehead down on that reverse 20 yards downfield. And he was doing it vs. Zack Martin for most of the game.  Impressive. 

Agree on Snacks.  I'm pretty sure Williams is the one that got sucked inside and gave up the edge on the reverse though. 

I don't think Ivory is that good a short yardage runner.  He does a bunch of his damage bouncing outside and he likes to take the ball from really deep.  He is good at getting yards after contact, but he has never seemed too successful in short yardage.  Bowles has been leaving a ton of points on the field going for it so much.  Haven't been a fan of all the 4th down nonsense.

Agree on Snacks.  I'm pretty sure Williams is the one that got sucked inside and gave up the edge on the reverse though. 

Was it Wiliams?  I thought it was someone else.  Williams wasnt lined up the outside if I recall.  He was over the center.  I thought it was Sheldon.

Either way, he stayed with it and made the play down field. 

I thought it was Sheldon.

I don't think you can put it all on Ivory; the DL was in the backfield each time. I think you have to blame the call; if you are going to go for it - rush to the line and QB sneak it, or something else - can't just keep running up the middle and loose a yard.

Maybe.  It looked to me like Williams got sucked inside.  It depends on who has responsibility for the edge. The Jets have been having trouble with those plays for ages.  McFadden killed them with that crap when he was on the Raiders.

I don't think you can put it all on Ivory; the DL was in the backfield each time. I think you have to blame the call; if you are going to go for it - rush to the line and QB sneak it, or something else - can't just keep running up the middle and loose a yard.

I certainly don't put it all on Ivory, but I don't think Ivory is as suited to short yardage as people act.  Ivory is supposedly the one that likes to take the ball  from deep, which is the play call we don't like.  I wonder how Bohannon would be at it.  They could run the play where the QB either hands to Bohannon up the gut or pitches wide to Ivory.  Ivory out in space should be able to gain the yard though it isn't a particularly safe or "manly" smashmouth way to get the first down.  I can't even remember if Bohannon was on the field for those plays.

Maybe.  It looked to me like Williams got sucked inside.  It depends on who has responsibility for the edge. The Jets have been having trouble with those plays for ages.  McFadden killed them with that crap when he was on the Raiders.

I certainly don't put it all on Ivory, but I don't think Ivory is as suited to short yardage as people act.  Ivory is supposedly the one that likes to take the ball  from deep, which is the play call we don't like.  I wonder how Bohannon would be at it.  They could run the play where the QB either hands to Bohannon up the gut or pitches wide to Ivory.  Ivory out in space should be able to gain the yard though it isn't a particularly safe or "manly" smashmouth way to get the first down.  I can't even remember if Bohannon was on the field for those plays.

Agreed.  I think most of the blame goes to the OL and Gailey... Not sure any back would make those plays.

Bad

- OLine in both phases particularly bad were Brick, Winters & Giacomini.
And their bad play led to our awful short yardage executiom=n

The other team sent 11 on those short yardage. they were bad play calls. its very tough for 9 blockers to beat 11 defenders. 

Was it Wiliams?  I thought it was someone else.  Williams wasnt lined up the outside if I recall.  He was over the center.  I thought it was Sheldon.

Either way, he stayed with it and made the play down field. 

It was Sheldon

I watched the replay again.  Bowles has been using Sheldon as an OLB.  I guess he is kind of taking Coples reps there. I think this was one of those deals.  On that play Sheldon ran up field, but there was no way he was stopping that run.  He got so far inside that the guy just ran around him.  Sheldon is fast for his size, but he isn't going to do much on that play.  Williams was the DE and was pretty far inside himself, but he was doubled because nobody had to block Sheldon who was just running flat along the line of scrimmage trailing the initial run.  I don't think he is equipped to deal with that kind of speed.  You guys were right, it wasn't Williams fault at all.

I watched the replay again.  Bowles has been using Sheldon as an OLB.  I guess he is kind of taking Coples reps there. I think this was one of those deals.  On that play Sheldon ran up field, but there was no way he was stopping that run.  He got so far inside that the guy just ran around him.  Sheldon is fast for his size, but he isn't going to do much on that play.  Williams was the DE and was pretty far inside himself, but he was doubled because nobody had to block Sheldon who was just running flat along the line of scrimmage trailing the initial run.  I don't think he is equipped to deal with that kind of speed.  You guys were right, it wasn't Williams fault at all.

that's what I thought I saw.  Thanks for recap

williams prob followed up his best game with his best game too. He was a monster yesterday 

Archived