Willkerson’s Contract Status More Complicated Than Most

JetNation

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say there's a pretty good chance Sheldon demands a huge deal before his current deal expires.  He's made it very clear on several occasions that money is what motivates him.  Not that it makes him any different than most players, but the fact that he acknowledges it publicly tells me he'll want his sooner rather than later.

Completely agree.....All too often you hear Sheldon talk about money.  He's going to be difficult to deal with - and he's has multiple off the field issues.  I don't really think you can consider keeping him over Mo...If it came down to him or Mo you gotta take Mo. 

I think it's just a matter of do we want to pay Mo what he's asking.  I

Guess the link isn't coming

Compares himself to Watt and says he wants to be paid like Suh, puclicly acknowledges that he plays hard to get paid...so tell me again why it's such a stretch to suggest the Jets may want to consider the fact that he's a guy who may want to get paid sooner rather than later if you will.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12048890/sheldon-richardson-new-york-jets-says-same-level-jj-watt-houston-texans

http://nyj.247sports.com/Bolt/Jets-Sheldon-Richardson-Mo-Wilkerson-and-I-deserve-Suh-money-37691664

what's your problem?  

You want to sit here and tell us that college programs don't suspend players often? 

Hey, when a player is stupid enough to do something that gets in the police blotter, you have no choice.  If it can be kept in house and under wraps...far less likely to suspend a guy.  

Seriously, a 1st and a 4th for Mo?

What team out there would give that up for a 5 sack guy who is looking for JJ Watt money?

Al Davis has been dead for a while now.

The Bucs once gave us that for Revis coming off an ACL tear, then stupidly let him go after 1 season.  There are plenty of dumb organizations out there.

Serious question: what exactly has Sheldon Richardson ever done in this league that leads anyone to believe that we can't afford him when his next contract is due?(assuming Mo gets his $)

Guy is severely overrated by this fan base. He's not an All-Pro

He was rookie of the year and went to the pro-bowl in 2014...He's a very good player.

The Bucs once gave us that for Revis coming off an ACL tear, then stupidly let him go after 1 season.  There are plenty of dumb organizations out there.

You really can't compare a first time Pro Bowl player Mo to a 3 time All Pro 4 time Pro Bowler Revis who at the time was considered a all time great.. Yes he was coming off a injury but it wasn't that stupid.. The stupid part was making him play in a zone D..:rolleyes:

Seriously, a 1st and a 4th for Mo?

What team out there would give that up for a 5 sack guy who is looking for JJ Watt money?

Al Davis has been dead for a while now.

I agree he shouldn't get JJ Watt money but 5 sacks? He 1/2 sack behind Chandler Jones and is a better player than Jones. He's better at stopping the run and he's not a drama queen like Jones. 

You really can't compare a first time Pro Bowl player Mo to a 3 time All Pro 4 time Pro Bowler Revis who at the time was considered a all time great.. Yes he was coming off a injury but it wasn't that stupid.. The stupid part was making him play in a zone D..:rolleyes:

Elite DL are just as valuable as elite CB's.  And when Revis was traded, he was 28.  Wilkerson is 26. 

Serious question: what exactly has Sheldon Richardson ever done in this league that leads anyone to believe that we can't afford him when his next contract is due?(assuming Mo gets his $)

Guy is severely overrated by this fan base. He's not an All-Pro

He's a phenomenal player.  Won rookie of the year and his physical skills are absolutely elite.  Still young enough that he's likely to continue getting better.

Elite DL are just as valuable as elite CB's.  And when Revis was traded, he was 28.  Wilkerson is 26. 

So you think Mo is equal in talent as a DL man to Revis as a CB?? Is Mo also better then Klecko and every other D- lineman in Jet History IYO?? Even Abe was a All Pro when we traded him for a 1st pick.. I think Mo is a very good player but I don't see him as Elite.. Is Chandler Jones on the Pats also Elite??

Quick question for the trade Mo crowd (or even the people against it)

I wouldn't want to trade Mo, you should try and keep your good players...With that said, the Jets are in a unique position in that they are overloaded at his position.

Trading for draft picks is simply too much a crap shoot, but what if we can find another team in a similar situation.  Open to moving a top flight player (either because DL is a major position of need or they simply aren't prepared to pay his asking price)  A trade like that might make sense.

You might lose a good player but you're making your team better immediately.

I know trades like that are very hard to pull off, but it's worth a discussion.

Quick question for the trade Mo crowd (or even the people against it)

I wouldn't want to trade Mo, you should try and keep your good players...With that said, the Jets are in a unique position in that they are overloaded at his position.

Trading for draft picks is simply too much a crap shoot, but what if we can find another team in a similar situation.  Open to moving a top flight player (either because DL is a major position of need or they simply aren't prepared to pay his asking price)  A trade like that might make sense.

You might lose a good player but you're making your team better immediately.

I know trades like that are very hard to pull off, but it's worth a discussion.

I would like to see Mo a Jet for life but like most things it comes down to Money.. I'm up for anything that improves the team and I want a rush LB'er as a top priority..

He's a phenomenal player.  Won rookie of the year and his physical skills are absolutely elite.  Still young enough that he's likely to continue getting better.

Rookie of the Year i meaningless. Did he improve this year (his 3rd)? No, he regressed. All the other things you mention are things you can still say about Vernon Gholston and dozens of guys who play in this league. 

Winning ROY award and then stagnating as a player and displaying poor personal judgment is not going to get you a big payday. I'll be happy if he goes out next year and puts up 15 sacks and earns it. But he hasn't yet.

Rookie of the Year i meaningless. Did he improve this year (his 3rd)? No, he regressed. All the other things you mention are things you can still say about Vernon Gholston and dozens of guys who play in this league. 

Winning ROY award and then stagnating as a player and displaying poor personal judgment is not going to get you a big payday. I'll be happy if he goes out next year and puts up 15 sacks and earns it. But he hasn't yet.

How much winning ROY means is subjective.  I'd say it means a player stood out to the rest of the league as being a very good first year player.  I'd also say his regression was due to missing four games and then getting moved around from D-line to OLB.  He's a great player IMO.  In time, we'll know for sure.  

Having that 4 game suspension took it's toll on his season this year.. Because of his off the field problems it may make him easier to sign come contract time.. 

Having that 4 game suspension took it's toll on his season this year.. Because of his off the field problems it may make him easier to sign come contract time.. 

I only think he hurts himself if he has another incident which you can't rule out at this point.  If he manages to keep himself on the field for a full season before he's due for a new deal and he'll dominate, followed by demanding to be top paid DL in the NFL.  

Hey, when a player is stupid enough to do something that gets in the police blotter, you have no choice.  If it can be kept in house and under wraps...far less likely to suspend a guy.  

college players are suspended all the time.  The idea that he was a major problem is wrong.  The idea that if he was a problem it could have been covered up so that he was only suspended once is laughable.  We can only go by facts.  Not crystal ball nonsense.  He was suspended once. Hardly major problem child.   You want him gone. Fine leave it at that

college players are suspended all the time.  The idea that he was a major problem is wrong.  The idea that if he was a problem it could have been covered up so that he was only suspended once is laughable.  We can only go by facts.  Not crystal ball nonsense.  He was suspended once. Hardly major problem child. 

When Aaron Hernandez was in college he was accused of shooting a guy in the face.. Plus

After the draft, the Boston Globe reported Hernandez had failed multiple drug tests, perhaps as many as six, while at Florida, which led Hernandez to issue a statement admitting to the one failed test that led to the 2008 suspension.

college players are suspended all the time.  The idea that he was a major problem is wrong.  The idea that if he was a problem it could have been covered up so that he was only suspended once is laughable.  We can only go by facts.  Not crystal ball nonsense.  He was suspended once. Hardly major problem child.   You want him gone. Fine leave it at that

Cool

he was forced into playing LB, dropped into coverage, was asked to play different role this year.  Can't judge him on this, he didn't regress or become stagnant after winning ROY

When Aaron Hernandez was in college he was accused of shooting a guy in the face.. Plus

After the draft, the Boston Globe reported Hernandez had failed multiple drug tests, perhaps as many as six, while at Florida, which led Hernandez to issue a statement admitting to the one failed test that led to the 2008 suspension.

So Hernandez wasn't suspended when the Globe thinks he should have been.  How does that change the comment that many are suspended?  Or how does Hernamdez not getting suspended prove that Sheldon was a major POS who should have been suspended often? 

So Hernandez wasn't suspended when the Globe thinks he should have been.  How does that change the comment that many are suspended?  Or how does Hernamdez not getting suspended prove that Sheldon was a major POS who should have been suspended often? 

Dude I was agreeing with you WTF?? And before you forget again Sheldon is one of my favorite players..

Dude I was agreeing with you WTF?? And before you forget again Sheldon is one of my favorite players..

Im saying exactly what you are and going against his argument.  He's going with the Sheldon was a bad guy in school routine.  

Sorry if I led you to think I was arguing with you.  Nice, right? lol

Im saying exactly what you are and going against his argument.  He's going with the Sheldon was a bad guy in school routine.  

Sorry if I led you to think I was arguing with you.  Nice, right? lol

Of course he wasn't a bad guy.  Major programs suspend top-flight talent for no reason all the time.  I bet they suspended Sheldon for doing too much volunteer work in the community.

Wait, so my point is that college teams will rarely suspend players unless what they do ends up on the police blotter/in public eye.  Aaron Hernandez started 13, 13, and 14 games in college despite possibly shooting somebody?  Kinda proves my point, no?

Of course he wasn't a bad guy.  Major programs suspend top-flight talent for no reason all the time.  I bet they suspended Sheldon for doing too much volunteer work in the community.

Who said no reason?  But who says one suspension for a college kid is "major problem"?

What difference does it make if its a top player or not if its a legit program? 

Who said no reason?  But who says one suspension for a college kid is "major problem"?

What difference does it make if its a top player or not if its a legit program? 

If you honestly don't know the answers to those questions, I don't have the time to help you.

All the best...go jets!

If you honestly don't know the answers to those questions, I don't have the time to help you.

All the best...go jets!

Wait, so my point is that college teams will rarely suspend players unless what they do ends up on the police blotter/in public eye.  Aaron Hernandez started 13, 13, and 14 games in college despite possibly shooting somebody?  Kinda proves my point, no?

Again, if Hernandez should have been suspended but wasnt how does that translate into because SR was only suspended once it should have been more?  Using your logic every player, especially a top player, could or should have been suspended, might have not been suspended because of a cover up.

Therefore was a major problem.  You're telling us what happened when you dont know because of snide, "if you dont know how the answers to those questions" type responses.  

Again, if Hernandez should have been suspended but wasnt how does that translate into because SR was only suspended once it should have been more?  Using your logic every player, especially a top player, could or should have been suspended, might have not been suspended because of a cover up.

Therefore was a major problem.  You're telling us what happened when you dont know because of snide, "if you dont know how the answers to those questions" type responses.  

My point was that programs will often let star players get away with murder before suspending them as was the case with Hernandez in the example somehow being used to say I was wrong?  

My point was that Sheldon must have screwed up royally to get his team to sit him. 

If you haven't watched enough football to realize that star players are treated differently than JAGs, all I can do is tell you to keep watching and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Archived