Willkerson’s Contract Status More Complicated Than Most

JetNation

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trade Richardson before he gets in trouble again! Major character issues in college. And now character issues in the pro's. Time to cut bait.

I've seen a few people state this here, and I still don't understand how this makes any sense.

Richardson makes peanuts on his rookie deal. His current contract is not prohibiting the Jets from signing Mo.

And given his pending legal issues and recent suspension, and his down season statistically, if you cut bait now, you're getting pennies on the dollar.

If the Jets decide to sign Mo - yes, it means Richardson does not have a future here. But you let him play out his deal this season and see if he can put together a good year and stay out of trouble.. and then you tag and trade him to the highest sucker.

Trade Richardson before he gets in trouble again! Major character issues in college. And now character issues in the pro's. Time to cut bait.

Unfortunately, every other team in the NFL is not stupid and knows these things and therefore will lowball the Jets on any deal for Sheldon. We are stuck with Richardson, for good or for bad, just like the Browns were stuck with Josh Gordon. We have to hope that Richardson is mildly more intelligent than Gordon. 

I've seen a few people state this here, and I still don't understand how this makes any sense.

Richardson makes peanuts on his rookie deal. His current contract is not prohibiting the Jets from signing Mo.

And given his pending legal issues and recent suspension, and his down season statistically, if you cut bait now, you're getting pennies on the dollar.

If the Jets decide to sign Mo - yes, it means Richardson does not have a future here. But you let him play out his deal this season and see if he can put together a good year and stay out of trouble.. and then you tag and trade him to the highest sucker.

I think if they were going to it would have been done already..The Cat looks like the real deal and Mo is the one that would bring the most in return.. If trading Mo lets the team keep Snacks and Sheldon plus get a number 1 back I'm all for it.. Plus In most 3-4 D's it's the LB'ers that get the sacks that's the area we need the most help in..

there's this idea that the Jets need to make some sort of sophie's choice but they might not. The cap goes up the last few years, usually about 10mil a time. the league just moved a team to LA that will also increase revenue and increase the cap. if they can get a decent restructure out of Brick and not break the bank on Fitz, they could have room for all these guys. 

Sheldon Richardson further muddied the water this year by not really playing that well in the grand scheme of things.  He didn't stink but he sure did not up his game to the domiant level his earlier play was indicating.  5 sacks, a great reduction in his tackles, even with his games missed he didn't have the kind of year that makes one think he is a must keep.  Mo Wilk had one of those years.  

I do honestly say that it is too bad that teams are too chicken to trade within the division because if there is one team we could fleece the hell out of in nay deal it would be Buffalo if we were offering Mo wilk or richardson.

there's this idea that the Jets need to make some sort of sophie's choice but they might not. The cap goes up the last few years, usually about 10mil a time. the league just moved a team to LA that will also increase revenue and increase the cap. if they can get a decent restructure out of Brick and not break the bank on Fitz, they could have room for all these guys. 

There are only 40 players under contacts.  The rest are FA's.  Where does the money come from to sign both Mo and Fitz and the draftees and the guys to fill in the rest of the roster?   It's not cap hell but it's close.    

There are only 40 players under contacts.  The rest are FA's.  Where does the money come from to sign both Mo and Fitz and the draftees and the guys to fill in the rest of the roster?   It's not cap hell but it's close.    

the cap went up 10 mil last year. it went up 10 mil the year before. It will probably go up again this year. 

When's the last time you heard of a team losing a star because of cap issues? 

there is no more cap hell, for anyone. 

I agree, but I wonder if that's really the direction we should look to go.  Look, most teams in a 3-4 base would dream to have Sheldon, Williams, and Snacks.  Wilkerson is just a really good problem to have.  Where we need to improve and find long term solutions is QB and OLB.  When I think of great 3-4 teams I see one or 2 stout lineman, such as Siragusa or Ngata, a couple lunchpail lineman who aren't spectacular but extremely good against the run, and then a fierce LB crew.  Think of the Ravens in 2000, what was their strength?  Lewis, Boulware, Adalius Thomas, and Sharper were the real "force" amongst them.  They wreaked the havoc.  Siragusa and Sam Adams clogged up the lanes and took up blockers, they weren't the big playmakers (though admittedly at times they did, same as I think Sheldon/Willaims/Snacks can do).  Ed Reed wasn't even there yet.  Rod Woodson played smart at Safety and McCallister was also playing well at CB.  But the main difference between our current roster and that Ravens D was the LB's.  So using Mo as potential to really find a stout OLB that is disruptive makes sense to me.  Or use him as a chip to draft a QB. 

I'd say there's a pretty good chance Sheldon demands a huge deal before his current deal expires.  He's made it very clear on several occasions that money is what motivates him.  Not that it makes him any different than most players, but the fact that he acknowledges it publicly tells me he'll want his sooner rather than later.

I agree, but I wonder if that's really the direction we should look to go.  Look, most teams in a 3-4 base would dream to have Sheldon, Williams, and Snacks.  Wilkerson is just a really good problem to have.  Where we need to improve and find long term solutions is QB and OLB.  When I think of great 3-4 teams I see one or 2 stout lineman, such as Siragusa or Ngata, a couple lunchpail lineman who aren't spectacular but extremely good against the run, and then a fierce LB crew.  Think of the Ravens in 2000, what was their strength?  Lewis, Boulware, Adalius Thomas, and Sharper were the real "force" amongst them.  They wreaked the havoc.  Siragusa and Sam Adams clogged up the lanes and took up blockers, they weren't the big playmakers (though admittedly at times they did, same as I think Sheldon/Willaims/Snacks can do).  Ed Reed wasn't even there yet.  Rod Woodson played smart at Safety and McCallister was also playing well at CB.  But the main difference between our current roster and that Ravens D was the LB's.  So using Mo as potential to really find a stout OLB that is disruptive makes sense to me.  Or use him as a chip to draft a QB. 

Agree. It's not like in Mo's absence we've got zippo on our DL. If he's gone we still could have the best (3-man) line in the NFL. Particularly if we turn him into an OLB with serious pass rushing skills. An OL can't double everyone.

Plus the reality that backup linemen are permitted to hold our monstrous DLmen and only rarely get called for it. Wish it wasn't that case (since that's where we're stacked) but it is.

if they could somehow parlay one of these top DL into a QB, that would be amazing.    

what would suck is if they let him walk or trade him just for cap space a la Revis. 

There are a decent amount of QB prospects this year.  We may have an opportunity at 20 overall for one without trading Mo (who I think will command a 1st rounder).  If we get a 1st for Mo we may have the opportunity to trade 2 1st rounders to move up for a QB, or sit pat and address both OLB and QB.  I think we have an overall strength (DL) that really doesn't equate to making us that much stronger overall by having a dearth of talent there.  To Sperm's point the ref don't call a lot of the holding that goes on at the line, they still call them on outside rushers because the hold is so much more obvious and visible. 

I'd say there's a pretty good chance Sheldon demands a huge deal before his current deal expires.  He's made it very clear on several occasions that money is what motivates him.  Not that it makes him any different than most players, but the fact that he acknowledges it publicly tells me he'll want his sooner rather than later.

generally agree but the Jets can't get trade value for Sheldon until he proves he's stable and reliable. He might never prove that. It could be another tag situation. 

generally agree but the Jets can't get trade value for Sheldon until he proves he's stable and reliable. He might never prove that. It could be another tag situation. 

That's what complicates it.  They have two great players..one due to get paid now, one in a couple of years.  Can't get fair value in trade for one, risk losing more reliable one over money.  This is what I meant with it being more complicated than your average negotiation.

I'd love for both to stay, but I think Mo gets dealt.

Its not that hard to me, I think the Jets will get a 1st and a 4th pick in this years draft for Mo.  Sheldon is locked for a few more years.  Give the money to snacks and a FA OLB.

Unless Mo takes 10 mil a year, then pay him.

It's only that simple of Sheldon isn't one incident away from a full year suspension.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's facing 4-8 games now.  Another off field incident could mean no Mo and no Sheldon if Mo is dealt.

Major?  What were the major character issues he had?  All i remember was a suspension for an unspecified disciplinary reasons 

Where has there been any indication on any level that he will ask to redo his deal, want more money before his deal is up? 

I think if they were going to it would have been done already..The Cat looks like the real deal and Mo is the one that would bring the most in return.. If trading Mo lets the team keep Snacks and Sheldon plus get a number 1 back I'm all for it.. Plus In most 3-4 D's it's the LB'ers that get the sacks that's the area we need the most help in..

The Jets need a LB who can cover side line to side line, Blitz lightning fast up the middle, cover his zone when asked, and also cover a RB, or TE man to man when asked.  Not to many of these guys around in this league, but I think 1 can be had in our draft spot in the 1st round in Scooby Wright, he had the size, speed to handle all these responsibilities, question is does he have the football IQ, desire, and toughness to put it all together in this league.  That's for the Jets, and other front offices to decide in the next few months leading up to the draft, hoping he has it all, and the early season injury he had this past year is just enough to let him slip to the Jets.

Where has there been any indication on any level that he will ask to redo his deal, want more money before his deal is up? 

He has publicly said that money is his primary motivation and that he would like to get JJ Watt money because he is on his level.  Not exactly the words of a guy who is willing to wait until the last second to do a deal. He might, he might not.  We'll see.

Major?  What were the major character issues he had?  All i remember was a suspension for an unspecified disciplinary reasons 

How often do major colleges suspend superstar players for minor rules infractions?

He has publicly said that money is his primary motivation and that he would like to get JJ Watt money because he is on his level.  Not exactly the words of a guy who is willing to wait until the last second to do a deal. He might, he might not.  We'll see.

Everyone is or says they are motivated by money.  Nowhere does that say "im going to breach my contract and hold out for more money years before its up"  I would love to see a link where he says he wants to get JJ money today too.  I remember him saying hes as good a player or something along those lines but don't remember him saying he wants to be paid like him.  I do remember him saying Mo should get JJ money.  

Everyone is or says they are motivated by money.  Nowhere does that say "im going to breach my contract and hold out for more money years before its up"  I would love to see a link where he says he wants to get JJ money today too.  I remember him saying hes as good a player or something along those lines but don't remember him saying he wants to be paid like him.  I do remember him saying Mo should get JJ money.  

Right.

Its not that hard to me, I think the Jets will get a 1st and a 4th pick in this years draft for Mo.  />

Seriously, a 1st and a 4th for Mo?

What team out there would give that up for a 5 sack guy who is looking for JJ Watt money?

Al Davis has been dead for a while now.

What team out there would give that up for a 5 sack guy who is looking for JJ Watt money?

Aren't you the one who said we were all delusional for saying the Jets would get a first round pick for John Abe?  How'd that work out?

5 sacks ?

that sounds like a pats* fans friday night

Archived