Thank God the Broncos won!

Jetster

So would you eliminate the new safety rules and just have at it?

I don't think there's a right answer to that question. I think I would restructure the CBA that allowed more time for training camp which would hopefully decreased non-concussion related injuries, and increased time for team cohesiveness to create an overall better game. What's sad and frustrating is that in the next couple of years they'll probably allow for reviewing penalties, and that would likely be the final straw for me. Maybe instead of giving the victims yards, maybe give them points? I'm sure that may help. Who knows. 

EDIT: and by points, I mean literally 1 point for one infraction.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there's a right answer to that question. I think I would restructure the CBA that allowed more time for training camp which would hopefully decreased non-concussion related injuries, and increased time for team cohesiveness to create an overall better game. What's sad and frustrating is that in the next couple of years they'll probably allow for reviewing penalties, and that would likely be the final straw for me. Maybe instead of giving the victims yards, maybe give them points? I'm sure that may help. Who knows. 

I thought the new CBA was terrible fwiw. But the same people complaning about "football quality" were generally the ones complaining about the greedy owners and the poor, poor rank and file.

The NFL won't be banned, but when the talent pool depletes as parents tell their kids to find another sport, the league will crash hard. It's popularity is dependent on the best athletes in the country playing it. 

People forget, it wasn't too long ago that the most popular sports in this country were baseball, boxing, and horse racing. Things change as history progresses. This is the stuff that Cuban has been trying to get at in criticizing the NFL for so long. Compound all this stuff with the league completely oversaturating itself on television, and nobody is afraid of any sort of bubble because they're making way too much money right now. This is a league that has shown absolutely no concept of any sort of long game.

It's exactly what happened to the heavyweight division in boxing. You're a genetic freak athlete. Why the hell would you go and get your brains beat in for a living and deal with an insanely corrupt system when you can just go make $100 million playing basketball? And more importantly, as a kid, why would your parents put you into the former if the latter is an option?

I'm sure the sense will eventually catch up and hinder the sport. You bring up a good point. A lot of people today associate the NFL with head injuries. That will likely only increase.

People forget, it wasn't too long ago that the most popular sports in this country were baseball, boxing, and horse racing. Things change as history progresses. This is the stuff that Cuban has been trying to get at in criticizing the NFL for so long. Compound all this stuff with the league completely oversaturating itself on television, and nobody is afraid of any sort of bubble because they're making way too much money right now. This is a league that has shown absolutely no concept of any sort of long game.

Yet the NBA is completely dependent on one player being the bad guy. And since he left Miami, ratings have tanked.

I thought the new CBA was terrible fwiw. But the same people complaning about "football quality" were generally the ones complaining about the greedy owners and the poor, poor rank and file.

Well, I was not one of those people, so I cannot speak for them. But I think a lot of people would agree with me about the overall quality of the sport right now.

Well, I was not one of those people, so I cannot speak for them. But I think a lot of people would agree with me about the overall quality of the sport right now.

Football quality being down is more about everyone hating everything on twitter more than anything. I thought the game last night was just fine.

Football quality being down is more about everyone hating everything on twitter more than anything. I thought the game last night was just fine.

As did everyone. I  can't recall specific games this season because I got into the habit of turning them off, but a lot of them were hard to watch. And the number of referee intervention has a lot to do with that. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so. 

A slot receiver matched up on a slow linebacker is always better than running into the line of scrimmage with 300lb guys who can run like RB's of the 80's and 90's could. The game has changed because the athletes have,

Cmon man are you joking?  You think Babe Ruth was a so so athlete?   Unitas would not have been elite now?  Walter Payton would have been an average RB?  Great athletes are great across time.  They really haven't changed that much.  They either have talent or they don't.  

As did everyone. I  can't recall specific games this season because I got into the habit of turning them off, but a lot of them were hard to watch. And the number of referee intervention has a lot to do with that. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so. 

The officiating has gotten much worse, will give you that. Blandino is a jackass.

The officiating has gotten much worse, will give you that. Blandino is a jackass.

It seems like they essentially made it apart of the drama. But even what I said before about the point for an infraction would not work, because then we'll see flops. 

The more rules, the worse. Applies to almost everything.

I'm sure the sense will eventually catch up and hinder the sport. You bring up a good point. A lot of people today associate the NFL with head injuries. That will likely only increase.

I think it's already started. The pop warner numbers have been falling for the past half decade or so. And I've seen quite a few polls done with parents where the rates are pretty high for them not being comfortable with putting their kids in football. There was a good one a few years back where they surveyed NFL retirees and it was something like less than half stated they'd let their sons play football.

We'll see. Football is so entrenched in the south, so this isn't something that can happen overnight. But another couple generations, say 2-3 more decades, and I dunno.

Why are we excited about the Broncos winning? Roethlisberger, unlike Manning, doesn't sh*t his pants when Belichick leers at him from the sideline. I'm so sick that the Pats are about to ruin another Super Bowl, I can't even tell you. Eat a dick, Peyton Manning.

I think it's already started. The pop warner numbers have been falling for the past half decade or so. And I've seen quite a few polls done with parents where the rates are pretty high for them not being comfortable with putting their kids in football. There was a good one a few years back where they surveyed NFL retirees and it was something like less than half stated they'd let their sons play football.

We'll see. Football is so entrenched in the south, so this isn't something that can happen overnight. But another couple generations, say 2-3 more decades, and I dunno.

+1

I pray we're wrong/ science catches up beforehand. 

Why are we excited about the Broncos winning? Roethlisberger, unlike Manning, doesn't sh*t his pants when Belichick leers at him from the sideline. I'm so sick that the Pats are about to ruin another Super Bowl, I can't even tell you. Eat a dick, Peyton Manning.

This is all true. However, Steelers fans.

It seems like they essentially made it apart of the drama. But even what I said before about the point for an infraction would not work, because then we'll see flops. 

The more rules, the worse. Applies to almost everything.

Would agree, the ref's love the airtime. But I dont think there was any other option than to try and tone down the safety tee'ing off on a receiver like Lott used to do. It's too dangerous. I also dont think the league taking that out had killed the sport, either.

As long as colleges can make money on these kids, they will be given passes academically and the kids will continue to cling to the hope of making it 'big' in pro football. The talent level will remain.      

Manning v Brady. Again. This sh*t is getting boring. Go NFC.

This league. This damn league. They ruined one of the best sports every conceived, changing so many rules over time to just completely bias everything to the point where having any chance at sustained success is entirely dependent on finding an elite player at one position. It's created an incredibly boring league that I am legitimately starting to lose interest in.

This is where I'm at. We're going on 15 years of this now. 15 years. It's at the point where it's not even interesting to debate about or discuss anymore. It's like we're the dude from Oldboy, locked away in a hotel getting fed dumplings with too many scallions every day.

Oh, okay, that explains your ranting and raving; you've been following NFL football for only 15 years ... 

Belichick is better than everyone. All it is. And it's not like he's doing anything outrageous either.

As long as colleges can make money on these kids, they will be given passes academically and the kids will continue to cling to the hope of making it 'big' in pro football. The talent level will remain.      

Maybe. Problem is parents have to put their kids into the game before they even get to that point.

Would agree, the ref's love the airtime. But I dont think there was any other option than to try and tone down the safety tee'ing off on a receiver like Lott used to do. It's too dangerous. I also dont think the league taking that out had killed the sport, either.

I don't think it's dead, I think it's hurting. I agree though

The South is insane about football, so it the Southwest. I just don't see the game losing its athletes.  Kids love to hit LOL

Sure. For now. My point is that times change, cultures change, people change. I'm certainly not speaking as though this is an overnight process. 10 years ago the discussions we were having about this very topic were that around this time now, it would start to have a sizable effect on pop warner numbers, which it has. Another 10-20 years? Who knows. Things change. Hard to believe that a parent in New York is more concerned about head trauma when it comes to their son than a parent in Texas.

The 5 yard defensive back rule has changed the game. Once that was instituted, the balance of offense/defense being equally as important ended. Now, your offense and the QB position is essentially 70% of your teams importance.

If they fix the rule and make it a 10 yard contact rule, it will level the playing field. 

@The Crusher is actually the guy you want throwing his 2 c's in on this. His son is a really good high school player.

Been a football Dad for ten years with both boys.  Youngest just finished senior year and oldest finished freshman year of college ball.  Opinion in that short time has changed here.  Parents, especially moms just don't see the value verses risk in the game anymore.  Lacrosse has become a major player here and I would say close to 35% of the kids here play both.  I also noticed that even the players at my sons school they are realizing how brutal playing in a D1 school is And some are opting out to go to school without a full time job at the same time.   Even BabyCrusher who was tackling my 150 pound Great Dane in the backyard when he was 3 has soured on it.  After two concussions, a 360 degree right shoulder labrum tear (18 month recovery), two severe high ankle sprains and a fracture rib that tore him up inside a touch all at the High School level is assessing the value of it.  He will probably probably continue playing because it's who and what he is, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm taking my grandkids to Lacrosse, golf and baseball practice instead of football one day.  Sadly not gonna bother me as much as it would ten years ago when watching my "boys" play ball meant only one thing.  Football. 

i

Archived