Trading Richardson

SenorGato

I am pretty confident that Harrison will be let go in order to keep the team's best player. That would tell us only one thing - the Jets have finally entered the modern era of football and won't do something nuts like pay premium prices to stop the run. 

Don't be surprised when Harrison is unceremoniously allowed to leave and the franchise moves on quickly, without a major drop off in performance against the run or in general.

Well they were 2nd overall vs the run so any fall off will be 100% attributed to losing snacks by many people.  And I was surprised at how many of the playoff teams were good at stopping the run.  I do agree with you however in that some team will offer Harrison fairly big money and we will let him walk.  After looking (in an uneducated way) at our cap situation not likely we can keep both unless we cut D'Brick for example.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here was his post:

Arguments of "run stuffing" aside, didn't Mac, in his recent post-season interviews, say that he wants the Jets to get faster? Wouldn't that make Snacks the odd man out if it came to him vs Mo or Sheldon?

Our friend said that MacDaddy wanted more speed on the team and that made Snacks the odd man out.

I commented that MacD probably meant  the skill position guys, LB's and DB's to be faster. Not the front 3

That wasn't too tough to understand..... surprised you missed it. 

of course he meant skill positions.  Or LB.  he most certainly didn't mean NT unless he's the dumbest GM in the league.  If Snacks were under contract he'd be the last person you'd replace to get faster

It is, OTOH, not all that valuable to be a clogger in the grand scheme of things. The Jets shouldn't, and as with the past probably won't, be paying a premium for a two down DLman who only plays the run. Hit me with some reports.

Also, I get that being ultra literal really helps drag this totally-not-tedious conversation out, but nobody is talking about acquiring a faster NT. No one.

- He's talking about getting faster in general. He didn't name a position. There's no reason to add words he didn't say.

- Smart teams understand that playing the pass is many times more important than stopping the run in today's game. Smart teams avoid paying premiums to guys with limited games built around stopping the run. Smart teams understand that DLs need more than two starters.

- The Jets have a replacement in TJ Barnes.

- There is no argument that any Jets DL is better than Wilkerson. I shouldn't say that...There is no good or true argument that any of the Jets' DL, at any position, is better than Wilkerson.

- You don't get it - Wilkerson is a great player. The reality is, Harrison is the far more likely numbers casualty.

- We couldn't have less of an idea who Harrison was until 2013 despite him occupying the roster since 2011. Barnes will do fine, just as Harrison did fine when surrounded by Wilkerson and Richardson. Barnes will be the next NT Wilkerson makes into a stud just by playing next to him.

it's the job of a NT to clog the middle, occupy the middle of the line to create openings for the pass rush.  And to stuff the run up the middle.  That's what they do.  They don't rush the QB, their job is pretty simple and pretty hard to do well.  Speed isn't an asset, quickness is and Snacks has that. 

of course he meant skill positions.  Or LB.  he most certainly didn't mean NT unless he's the dumbest GM in the league.  If Snacks were under contract he'd be the last person you'd replace to get faster

Once again - he was talking in general. Stop trying to put words in his mouth - the man didn't specify a single position.

Since Snacks isn't under contract, he's the ideal guy to move on from and not pay top dollar to. As much as you like to add words and thoughts to what was said - make the team fast - signing a big, slow, 2 down NT to a premium FA contract is clearly going in the exact opposite direction of getting faster.

it's the job of a NT to clog the middle, occupy the middle of the line to create openings for the pass rush.  And to stuff the run up the middle.  That's what they do.  They don't rush the QB, their job is pretty simple and plretty hard to do well.  Speed isn't an assist, quickness is and Snacks has that. 

You keep repeating this to me and I will keep saying that none of this is hard to find or something that needs to be given premium cap space towards. A big guy who can occupy space in between Mo Wilkerson and friends for one or two downs is about the cushiest DL gig in the NFL for the guy lucky enough to get it.

Once again - he was talking in general. Stop trying to put words in his mouth - the man didn't specify a single position.

Since Snacks isn't under contract, he's the ideal guy to move on from and not pay top dollar to. As much as you like to add words and thoughts to what was said - make the team fast - signing a big, slow, 2 down NT to a premium FA contract is clearly going in the exact opposite direction of getting faster.

What words are everyone here putting in your mouth.  You say you never said it but your last sentence you say: signing a big, slow, 2 down NT to a premium FA contract is clearly going in the exact opposite direction of getting faster.  You asked, didn't Macc say he wanted more speed? Then say don't put words in your mouth.  You keep saying move Snacks but replace with who?  And you keep complaint that there are too many run stuffers, but hats the NTs job in a 3-4.  I just don't get why you want to let Snacks go as if he was some easily replaceable scrub. 

I am pretty confident that Harrison will be let go in order to keep the team's best player. That would tell us only one thing - the Jets have finally entered the modern era of football and won't do something nuts like pay premium prices to stop the run. 

Don't be surprised when Harrison is unceremoniously allowed to leave and the franchise moves on quickly, without a major drop off in performance against the run or in general.

duly noted on all counts. there is a good chance that snacks walks, and i admitted as much. wilkerson will not get a new contract from the jets, unless sheldon screws up from now till then, which i dont think he will do. wilks gets tagged for 1 more year or a contact elsewhere. book it

duly noted on all counts. there is a good chance that snacks walks, and i admitted as much. wilkerson will not get a new contract from the jets, unless sheldon screws up from now till then, which i dont think he will do. wilks gets tagged for 1 more year or a contact elsewhere. book it

So you're saying we're going to let Mo and Snacks go.

And think it's a good thing? 

So you're saying we're going to let Mo and Snacks go.

And think it's a good thing? 

they might. but i never said it was a good thing. wilk,imo, is all but gone. snacks,well, it all depends. if they dont feel they have a viable option at nose, they will resign him. if they feel they do have a viable option, they let him walk. its the same with mo. i believe they feel they have viable options at defensive end.. in the end, i think they resign snacks and trade mo wilks. i also believe thats the route they need to take

they might. but i never said it was a good thing. wilk,imo, is all but gone. snacks,well, it all depends. if they dont feel they have a viable option at nose, they will resign him. if they feel they do have a viable option, they let him walk. its the same with mo. i believe they feel they have viable options at defensive end.. in the end, i think they resign snacks and trade mo wilks. i also believe thats the route they need to take

Got it, but I think that would be a huge mistake.  

Wilkerson will probably get a new contract from the Jets. Harrison will probably walk and be replaced without much of a hassle. The Jets will field a top D without Harrison and with Wilkerson, as they've done for two years in the past.

What words are everyone here putting in your mouth.  You say you never said it but your last sentence you say: signing a big, slow, 2 down NT to a premium FA contract is clearly going in the exact opposite direction of getting faster.  You asked, didn't Macc say he wanted more speed? Then say don't put words in your mouth.  You keep saying move Snacks but replace with who?  And you keep complaint that there are too many run stuffers, but hats the NTs job in a 3-4.  I just don't get why you want to let Snacks go as if he was some easily replaceable scrub. 

Are you being obtuse on purpose? It's like you're scanning my posts hoping to get something to react to rather than reading them.

- Words are being added to what the GM said. He specified no positions. Reading literally any of my posts on the matter would make this point clear as day, there should be no confusing me for the GM from what I have written.

- Yes, Mac said he wanted more speed.

- There's no contradictions in this. You're just not reading, please read the posts if you plan to argue.

- I keep saying don't extend Snacks, and I've offered many alternatives. Again - please read if you plan to argue.

- No one is complaining about having too many run stuffers. Please read the posts if you plan to argue.

- You don't get why I don't want to extend Snacks because you, very clearly, have no taken the time to read - let alone understand - what is being said.

Wilkerson will probably get a new contract from the Jets. Harrison will probably walk and be replaced without much of a hassle. The Jets will field a top D without Harrison and with Wilkerson, as they've done for two years in the past.

Are you being obtuse on purpose? It's like you're scanning my posts hoping to get something to react to rather than reading them.

- Words are being added to what the GM said. He specified no positions. Reading literally any of my posts on the matter would make this point clear as day, there should be no confusing me for the GM from what I have written.

- Yes, Mac said he wanted more speed.

- There's no contradictions in this. You're just not reading, please read the posts if you plan to argue.

- I keep saying don't extend Snacks, and I've offered many alternatives. Again - please read if you plan to argue.

- No one is complaining about having too many run stuffers. Please read the posts if you plan to argue.

- You don't get why I don't want to extend Snacks because you, very clearly, have no taken the time to read - let alone understand - what is being said.

One last time, I know what Macc said.  We all do.  We all agree that he didnt mean NT.

Lets just end this, its going nowhere, not worth arguing

One last time, I know what Macc said.  We all do.  We all agree that he didnt mean NT.

Lets just end this, its going nowhere, not worth arguing

It's not going anywhere because you're purposely being obtuse.

For about the half dozenth time - he specified no positions and spoke in general. Unless you want to provide a quote where he specifies only the skill positions or whatever it is you believe, there is no need for you or anyone to add words to what he said. It is also pretty obvious that paying a slow, two down player big money is going the exact opposite of upping team speed. They can get a NT without a big commit, as they've always done.

It's not going anywhere because you're purposely being obtuse.

For about the half dozenth time - he specified no positions and spoke in general. Unless you want to provide a quote where he specifies only the skill positions or whatever it is you believe, there is no need for you or anyone to add words to what he said. It is also pretty obvious that paying a slow, two down player big money is going the exact opposite of upping team speed. They can get a NT without a big commit, as they've always done.

You keep repeating over and over that hes slow.  No shlt, hes a 350+ lb NT.  Thats not obtuse those are your words.  If they get rid of him its about money, not speed.  Get over it, thats what it is, not whatever youre trying to argue.  I tried being nice, youre too thick apparently to get what youre saying. 

You keep repeating over and over that hes slow.  No shlt, hes a 350+ lb NT.  Thats not obtuse those are your words.  If they get rid of him its about money, not speed.  Get over it, thats what it is, not whatever youre trying to argue.  I tried being nice, youre too thick apparently to get what youre saying. 

No, I have repeated over and over that he's a 2 down run stuffer. I have expressed zero interest in getting faster at NT in a direct way, getting faster at NT is not a reason to let Harrison go. Getting faster IN GENERAL is a reason not to pay premium dollars to the slowest position on the team, especially a player with limited skills against the pass on a team loaded with run stuffers.

Please, if you plan to argue just read the posts first. If you can't argue with what is said, please stop building strawman arguments. It really adds nothing to the discussion, takes away from it in fact, and makes you seem like an a$$hole. 

Letting 2/3's of their starting DL go.  I don't see how that makes us a better defense, a better team. 

Letting 2/3's of their starting DL go.  I don't see how that makes us a better defense, a better team. 

it wouldnt. thats why its not going to happen. harrison stays and wilkerson goes

So with you countless posts praising of Mo would it be safe to assume you think he's one of the best Jet players in history?? :) IMO I don't compare a NT at 6 million or so to a DE who is looking for a minimum of double that and probably much more.. At any rate we will see how Mac and Bowles feel in the coming months and the draft however to get something of value back Mo is the best bet for that providing he's not priced out of the market.. If I was the GM I would let his agent see what the market offered and go from there..

You can't compare a DE and an NT, as they serve different purposes. But honestly, if a choice has to be made, and it looks like it will be, I would prefer to trade Mo and keep Harrison. An end who can pressure the QB is easier to find and his absence easier to make up for (with creative blitzing schemes) than someone who is as good at stopping the run as Harrison is. Plus, the Jets already have a bunch of guys who can get after the QB. In a perfect world, I would trade Richardson, but I seriously don't think you're going to get a lot for him given his legal troubles, drug habit and probable suspension. Once a pothead, always a pothead, just ask Ricky Williams. The guy seriously should go to rehab if the Jets haven't secretly sent him there already. 

True, ends who can rush the passer from anywhere on the DL basically grow on trees. Just go shake the pass rushing tree and one will fall down, that's if the Jets even need to with all that pass rush they've got.

I'm with gato- I assume he's talking about mo here- cuz WE DONT HAVE A PASS RUSH!!!!

sheldon can't be trusted. Mo better stay or I'm gonna flip my sh*t.

If Richardson wasn't an asshat, this opinion might be different 

I've flip flopped again on trading Richardson, this time more permanently, and would be into trading him this year. Shouldn't have swayed anyway...High quality talent sure, but the Jets have two of those already without even a hint of the character concerns. Having multiple years on his rookie deal should entice someone to pay up given the premium on DL out there. Makes too much sense.

I've flip flopped again on trading Richardson, this time more permanently, and would be into trading him this year. Shouldn't have swayed anyway...High quality talent sure, but the Jets have two of those already without even a hint of the character concerns. Having multiple years on his rookie deal should entice someone to pay up given the premium on DL out there. Makes too much sense.

yup.

more I think about it, though, can't we have 2 years of these guys playing together w some OLBs before we trade one of them? 

Before Sheldon, that putz, got arrested, i was soooooo psyched for these guys playing together from August on. All that potential and , poof! , gone. In the blink of an eye, and now we have to dump somebody. What could have been great never came to fruition and, probably, never will.

Archived