Ways to increase cap space for 2016

Tinstar

Currently the Jets are about 6.2 mil under the 155mil salary cap . There's about 579 thousand worth of dead money .   So where's the money coming from .

Cuts :

Jeremy Kerley  cap savings  =  2.5 mil with 600 thousand dead money if cut after June 1st.

Breno Giacomini cap savings =  5 mil cap savings with 625 thousand  dead money if cut after June 1st

Jeff Cumberland cap savings =  2 mil  and he can be cut today with zero dead money

Brick Ferguson cap savings  =  10+mil with 3+ mil in dead mil if cut after June 1st

That's 19.5 mil in cap money available for use thus far :

Restructures :

Nick Mangold current contract is worth 9+ mil with zero dead money .

my suggestion would be to convert that salary into a new 4 year deal worth about 50 mil with a 15 mil signing bonus and a cap hit of 5 mil  for next season saving us 4 mil against the cap .

Brandon Marshall current salary is worth 9.5 mil with zero dead money .

My suggestion would be to convert that salary into a new 3 yr deal worth 40 mil with a 15 mil signing bonus and a cap hit this year of 3.5 mil next season saving us 6 mil against the cap .

That now gives us an additional 10 mil in cap money for use this year .

Total cap money available for use in 2016 30 mil >

All this without talking to Revis and without signing Mo Wilk to a long term deal that would give us additional cap savings .

Now you folks can go sign Fitzy and be happy.

my suggestion would be to convert that salary into a new 4 year deal worth about 50 mil with a 15 mil signing bonus and a cap hit of 5 mil  for next season saving us 4 mil against the cap .

My suggestion would be to convert that salary into a new 3 yr deal worth 40 mil with a 15 mil signing bonus and a cap hit this year of 3.5 mil next season saving us 6 mil against the cap .

Mangold and Marshall are signed through 2017.... I think I would just convert some of their Cap to a signing Bonus and leave it at that.

We need to be getting younger, not older.

Fine with the other stuff.

Save money by not resigning Fitz, draft a QB and let Geno, Petty and draftee slug it out for the starting spot.

I would not restructure a single contract and start mortgaging the future. This team is not in any sort of position where that make sense. Get younger, faster, build cap and get compensatory picks to build long term success.

Just now, johnnysd said:

Save money by not resigning Fitz, draft a QB and let Geno, Petty and draftee slug it out for the starting spot.

I would not restructure a single contract and start mortgaging the future. This team is not in any sort of position where that make sense. Get younger, faster, build cap and get compensatory picks to build long term success.

This is the only answer I agree 100% 

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You cannot get comp picks for players under contract that were cut  I don't believe .  We could get a comp pick for Fitzpatrick, Powell snacks and Ivory .  

This might be a good place to ask this.  How does the signing bonuses work?  I know using it the avoid big cap hits in year one but how does it work?  You can't just change your entire roster of players and change their contracts to 15mil signing bonuses this year right?  That would have major cap ramifications somewhere down the road right?  Can Tinstar or anyone else explain the ramifications to the cap for years 17, 18 and 19 with all the signing bonuses you are doling out?  I would add Fitz resigning would also be in that 15mil signing bonus ballpark?

40 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

This is the only answer I agree 100% 

yet in the other thread, you steadfastly contend that the Jets are a "win now" team.  And here you are agreeing that it is a good idea to forfeit 2016 by not restructuring any contracts and having 3 non starting ready contenders vie for the starting position.  If Petty, Geno or a draft pick starts at QB, we are facing a 3 or 4 win season at best.

Holy self-contradiction, Batman!  

So are we a "win now" team or are we a building team?  

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

yet in the other thread, you steadfastly contend that the Jets are a "win now" team.  And here you are agreeing that it is a good idea to forfeit 2016 by not restructuring any contracts and having 3 non starting ready contenders vie for the starting position.  If Petty, Geno or a draft pick starts at QB, we are facing a 3 or 4 win season at best.

Geno won 8 games 2 years ago with the worst possible coaching and no offensive weapons. People stat BS about Geno as if it is fact all the time.  

3 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

This might be a good place to ask this.  How does the signing bonuses work?  I know using it the avoid big cap hits in year one but how does it work?  You can't just change your entire roster of players and change their contracts to 15mil signing bonuses this year right?  That would have major cap ramifications somewhere down the road right?  Can Tinstar or anyone else explain the ramifications to the cap for years 17, 18 and 19 with all the signing bonuses you are doling out?  I would add Fitz resigning would also be in that 15mil signing bonus ballpark?

I will give it a try and hope someone corrects the mistakes I make.

The signing bonus is basically the only money that's actually guaranteed in the contract .  There's other money that's guaranteed, but its tied to being on the roster at a certain time , and workout bonus  money that's earned during OTAs and training camp . The bonus is usually spread across the contract which allows for a proration of said contract. It's why most players never see the end of these huge contracts .

In the case of Marshall, he's due a total of 18+mil over the next 2 years with zero dead money .  All I suggested was taking that money, giving it to him as a signing bonus and adding 1 worthless year to his contract so we can spread out the cap hit .his cap hit and his actual salary for the year will not be anywhere close in value.

21 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Hope this does the trick:

Scenario: Player A is under contract and has a $4,000,000  salary due in 2016.  In 2014, he was signed to a 5 year deal which included a $10 million signing bonus at the time.

That bonus hits the cap as though it was spread out over the entire life of the contract (despite the player getting every penny of it up front.)  So each year, Player A's cap hit is that season's salary plus the prorated portion of the bonus.  For 2016, his cap hit would be $6,000,000 (his $4,000,000 salary + the $2,000,000 pro rata portion of his bonus).

Now assume the team desires to reduce Player A's cap hit by at least $2,000,000 for 2016.  The GM and player can agree to convert $3,000,000 of that $4,000,000 salary into signing bonus.  The player still gets his $4 million in 2016 but the $3 million portion that was converted will now be amortized over the remaining 3 years of his contract.  

So his new cap hit for 2016 would be $4,000,000 (his $1,000,000 salary plus the  $2,000,000 pro rata portion of the original bonus plus the new $1,000,000 pro rata portion of the $3 million that was converted to bonus.)  The remaining $2,000,000 of converted salary into bonus would hit the 2017 and 2018 cap.  If the player is released early, it all accelerates into that year's cap, or in the case of a June 1 cut, over the next two years' cap.  

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Scenario: Player A is under contract and has a $4,000,000  salary due in 2016.  In 2014, he was signed to a 5 year deal which included a $10 million signing bonus at the time.

That bonus hits the cap as though it was spread out over the entire life of the contract (despite the player getting every penny of it up front.)  So each year, the players cap hit is that season's salary plus the prorated portion of the bonus.  For 2016, his cap hit would be $6,000,000 (his $4,000,000 salary + the $2,000,000 pro rata portion of his bonus).

Now assume the team desires to reduce Player A's cap hit by at least $2,000,000 for 2016.  The GM and player can agree to convert $3,000,000 of that $4,000,000 salary into signing bonus.  The player still gets his $4 million in 2016 but the $3 million portion that was converted will now be amortized over the remaining 3 years of his contract.  

So his new cap hit for 2016 would be $4,000,000 (his $1,000,000 salary plus the  $2,000,000 pro rata portion of the original bonus plus the new $1,000,000 pro rata portion of the $3 million that was converted to bonus.)  The remaining $2,000,000 of converted salary into bonus would hit the 2017 and 2018 cap.  If the player is released early, it all accelerates into that year's cap, or in the case of a June 1 cut, over the next two years' cap.  

Well done  I think

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Geno won 8 games 2 years ago with the worst possible coaching and no offensive weapons. People stat BS about Geno as if it is fact all the time.  

The Jets won 8 games in SPITE of Geno that season. How many did they win with him the next year? You know. The year he was supplanted by the ghost of Michael Vick who was only interested in a money grab to pay debts. Geno Smith is a bad QB and it's been shown time and again. It even showed its ugly head against the Raiders this season. Geno isn't going to be the starting QB of this team or any other in 2016. 

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I will give it a try and hope someone corrects the mistakes I make.

The signing bonus is basically the only money that's actually guaranteed in the contract .  There's other money that's guaranteed, but its tied to being on the roster at a certain time , and workout bonus  money that's earned during OTAs and training camp . The bonus is usually spread across the contract which allows for a proration of said contract. It's why most players never see the end of these huge contracts .

In the case of Marshall, he's due a total of 18+mil over the next 2 years with zero dead money .  All I suggested was taking that money, giving it to him as a signing bonus and adding 1 worthless year to his contract so we can spread out the cap hit .his cap hit and his actual salary for the year will not be anywhere close in value.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

That bonus hits the cap as though it was spread out over the entire life of the contract (despite the player getting every penny of it up front.)  So each year, Player A's cap hit is that season's salary plus the prorated portion of the bonus.  For 2016, his cap hit would be $6,000,000 (his $4,000,000 salary + the $2,000,000 pro rata portion of his bonus).

Excellent thanks for explaining!

Mark me in the column of not cutting both starting tackles in one fell swoop either. By all means cut Breno, but no matter who the QB is going to be, he'll need a new RG and RT. No need to add a third new offensive lineman to the mix. Don't get me wrong, Brick is very replaceable, but he's even more cuttable next season and then you're only looking to replace him next season. Which could be done via FA or the draft. 

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Mark me in the column of not cutting both starting tackles in one fell swoop either. By all means cut Breno, but no matter who the QB is going to be, he'll need a new RG and RT. No need to add a third new offensive lineman to the mix. Don't get me wrong, Brick is very replaceable, but he's even more cuttable next season and then you're only looking to replace him next season. Which could be done via FA or the draft. 

I agree, although they both need to be replaced. Replace Breno now and suffer through another year of Brick's declining pass protection abilities (helps if there is a somewhat mobile QB under center) as well as his every-year atrocious run blocking .  We need to focus heavily on OL in this draft.

2016 draft and FA has to bring us at least 2-3 Olinemen, edge pass rusher, QB, RB, TE prospects

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I agree, although they both need to be replaced. Replace Breno now and suffer through another year of Brick's declining pass protection abilities (helps if there is a somewhat mobile QB under center) as well as his every-year atrocious run blocking .  We need to focus heavily on OL in this draft.

2016 draft and FA has to bring us at least 2-3 Olinemen, edge pass rusher, QB, RB, TE prospects

We might have Breno's replacement on the roster already. Qvale, perhaps. In FA you can get a younger/better/cheaper version of Brick.

Case solved.

I like the kid from Pitt coming off the ACL injury. Should be ready by camp. Schwartz might also be a possibility. Carpenter is a gig help at LG

33 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I find it humorous how we want to replace an improving RG but have a pity party at the thought of replacing a declining LT .

I find it humorous that you think Winters is improving. No one is having a pity party for Brick. There's just not much sense in replacing 3/5ths of the starting offensive line in one offseason. Offensive line is where you want some sort of stability the most. We all know Brick is average to below average. An average LT is far more valuable than a below replacement player at RG. Replace the right side this offseason and replace Brick the next. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Woody Johnson wants winning results not empty promises and almosts. 

Question. What are you going to do about Ferguson's 14+mil cap hit for 2016 ?  He can't go into the season with that cap hit. If I'm him I'm not taking a pay cut in a year where people are giving away big dollars to scrubs .  it would be absolutely stupid to restructure and extend his contract, so what's the plan  ?

Oh an only a bitter hater can't see that Winters improved as the season went along .  Kid's not the problem he was he was when he started as a Rook when he was thrown in at Guard after being an OT Kent State  .

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

The hate for Geno Smith wont allow anyone to see this,dont waste your time. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Jets won 8 games in SPITE of Geno that season. How many did they win with him the next year? You know. The year he was supplanted by the ghost of Michael Vick who was only interested in a money grab to pay debts. Geno Smith is a bad QB and it's been shown time and again. It even showed its ugly head against the Raiders this season. Geno isn't going to be the starting QB of this team or any other in 2016. 

Geno 3 4th quarter comebacks, 7 game winning drives in 2 years suggests we were not winning in spite of him. He HAS had some horrificly bad games, noticeablr the one against Buffalo where he was told to force it to Harvin.  Fitz 9 4th quarter and 12 winning drives (3 last year) in 10 years. But of course we won because of Fitz, completely discounting vastly superior coaching, healthy Decker, adding a Top 8 WR maybe higher and the emergence of Enunwa and Bilaaaaal as key contributors. The blind hatred combined with the blind love of Firz is ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Same goes for the Fitz ball washing

Johnny,  How does a preference for Fitz starting over either Geno or Petty translate into a "Fitz ball washing"?  A bit extreme there, no?

Give me an alterative to Fitz that is not Geno or Petty for 2016 please.  Otherwise Fitz should be the guy this season.  No ball washing here.  Just reality.  Smith is a train wreck out there.  Blind on the field, can't read defenses and never will. No respect from his teammates, who we know don't like him or trust him.   Petty not ready.  I surely don't love Fitz and wish there were a better alternative, but unless you offer up a better possibility, it's unfair to label those who would rather see Fitz start than the horror show named Smith or not yet ready Petty as "ball washers".  

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Same goes for the Fitz ball washing

I don't care for any of it to tell the truth .  I have a singular focus when it comes to the Jets and that is to always improve the talent on last year's team..  With all these mooks we need back, we couldn't even make the dang playoffs .  From that team, anyone I can get rid of that aids my cap situation is in danger of being cut . Anyone .

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Johnny,  How does a preference for Fitz starting over either Geno or Petty translate into a "Fitz ball washing"?  A bit extreme there, no?

Give me an alterative to Fitz that is not Geno or Petty for 2016 please.  Otherwise Fitz should be the guy this season.  No ball washing here.  Just reality.  Smith is a train wreck out there.  Blind on the field, can't read defenses and never will. No respect from his teammates, who we know don't like him or trust him.   Petty not ready.  I surely don't love Fitz and wish there were a better alternative, but unless you offer up a better possibility, it's unfair to label those who would rather see Fitz start than the horror show named Smith or not yet ready Petty as "ball washers".  

Smith has had some very very bad games.but it was not all bad. Plus, the Jets staff so enough for them to name him the starter based on the tape. But Bowles got caught up in Fitz it seems, and he prefers veterans. People dismiss them as meaningless games but Geno did play really well the last 4 games 2 years ago. And Geno has elite QB skills. People also forget that Geno played in the worst possible system for him, and Gailey has been known to coach up scrub QBs like Slash and Miller and oh yeah Fitzgerald. Taking Geno completely out of the picture, I would expect Petty to have similar numbers to Fitz in the offense.

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Currently the Jets are about 6.2 mil under the 155mil salary cap . There's about 579 thousand worth of dead money .   So where's the money coming from .

Cuts :

Jeremy Kerley  cap savings  =  2.5 mil with 600 thousand dead money if cut after June 1st.

Breno Giacomini cap savings =  5 mil cap savings with 625 thousand  dead money if cut after June 1st

Jeff Cumberland cap savings =  2 mil  and he can be cut today with zero dead money

Brick Ferguson cap savings  =  10+mil with 3+ mil in dead mil if cut after June 1st

That's 19.5 mil in cap money available for use thus far :

Restructures :

my suggestion would be to convert that salary into a new 4 year deal worth about 50 mil with a 15 mil signing bonus and a cap hit of 5 mil  for next season saving us 4 mil against the cap .

My suggestion would be to convert that salary into a new 3 yr deal worth 40 mil with a 15 mil signing bonus and a cap hit this year of 3.5 mil next season saving us 6 mil against the cap .

That now gives us an additional 10 mil in cap money for use this year .

Total cap money available for use in 2016 30 mil >

All this without talking to Revis and without signing Mo Wilk to a long term deal that would give us additional cap savings .

Now you folks can go sign Fitzy and be happy.

More or less exactly what they should do along with a Revis restructure and a Wilkerson extension. Pretty much sums up why the Jets' cap situation is wildly overblown, they'll be fine. Marshall, Mangold, Revis, ans Wilkerson are the quality of player and play they should restucture or extend. The tackles seem dramatic, but neither is good and the $20+ million they were locked into at the position could get the Jets a good T and G/T in FA. 

Archived