Gailey pouring over old Redskins/Baylor games.

32EBoozer

Trying to see if RG3 can handle his system.

Chan came out of retirement to win a ring. I'm not sure that his affection for Fitz would override his desire to get to the Playoffs and win a ring.

I'm sure he realizes Fitz can't take him there. Can RG3? Can Petty?Really sucks being in the position again... trying to find competent QB play.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they're just doing their homework on him now than it's not a great thing.  Everyone who pays any attention to the NFL know RG III was going to be available.  As bad as the Jets QB situation has been, I would've expected them to start looking at him as soon as the season ended as opposed to the day he showed up.

Just now, AFJF said:

If they're just doing their homework on him now than it's not a great thing.  Everyone who pays any attention to the NFL know RG III was going to be available.  As bad as the Jets QB situation has been, I would've expected them to start looking at him as soon as the season ended as opposed to the day he showed up.

True, but the whole Fitz thing blew up only last week. I think Mac assumed Fitz to be back. Now they need to plan as if he won't be.

12 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Trying to see if RG3 can handle his system.

Chan came out of retirement to win a ring. I'm not sure that his affection for Fitz would override his desire to get to the Playoffs and win a ring.

I'm sure he realizes Fitz can't take him there. Can RG3? Can Petty?Really sucks being in the position again... trying to find competent QB play.

Its this actually true or is this assumption? If Gailey feels the need to do this then that actually makes me feel comfortable about RG3 atleast from a speculatory perspective. I trust Chan Gailey. 

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

True, but the whole Fitz thing blew up only last week. I think Mac assumed Fitz to be back. Now they need to plan as if he won't be.

Yep, but even as much as I've supported Fitz and enjoyed watching an NFL QB for a change, I think we all knew they had to start looking to find a younger/long-term option.

Either way, they may be looking at him, they may not. 

The fact that nobody else has had RGIII in for a visit and this is a two day stay...dude might be a Jet very soon.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yep, but even as much as I've supported Fitz and enjoyed watching an NFL QB for a change, I think we all knew they had to start looking to find a younger/long-term option.

Either way, they may be looking at him, they may not. 

The fact that nobody else has had RGIII in for a visit and this is a tow-day stay...dude might be a Jet very soon.

You could have a point. If Macc could get RG3 to sign a contract in the range of what Geno is expected to receive this year they may just sign him and cut Geno. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

You could have a point. If Macc could get RG3 to sign a contract in the range of what Geno is expected to receive this year they may just sign him and cut Geno. 

Fear not...I've been reading the board a lot lately, and if our experts are right, the Jets should be able to deal Geno to a QB hungry team for a pair of firsts and a third.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not famililar with Jeff George but I think RG3 is better than the highest point in Ryan Leaf's career. 

I get your point though. 

Really?

How old are you dude?  

Or am I just that old now......

(In)famous Jeff George quote:  That leadership stuff is overrated.

More on George:  http://espn.go.com/chrismortensen/s/2001/0926/1255617.html

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Really?

How old are you dude?  

Or am I just that old now......

(In)famous Jeff George quote:  That leadership stuff is overrated.

More on George:  http://espn.go.com/chrismortensen/s/2001/0926/1255617.html

Im 35. I know who Jeff George is, im just not familiar with his career. I'll check out the link though. 

17 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Its this actually true or is this assumption? If Gailey feels the need to do this then that actually makes me feel comfortable about RG3 atleast from a speculatory perspective. I trust Chan Gailey. 

When Chan was 1st hired by the Jets, there was an article by a Jets beat writer/blogger stating how much Chan was enjoying retirement but always felt he had some unfinished business.

His wife was the one who convinced him to go for it. It was a nice story... one you don't hear too often.

Most coaches are adreniline junkies and are fighting to stay in the league. Chan was very content but he and his wife decided to go for it 1 last time.

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im 35. I know who Jeff George is, im just not familiar with his career. I'll check out the link though. 

I should stress, wasn't meant as an insult Vill, more a lol-look-how-old-Fish-is chuckle.

You'd probably remember him most as a Falcon, had a couple decent years there (especially 1995).  But aye, check the link, alot of Georges flaws apply to RGIII.

It's not their physicals potential, it's their brains and priorities.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Seriously, is there any news that states Gaily's is reviewing his film? or was this just a guess?

It was an "educated" guess. Wouldn't we all be pouring over tape to see why such a talented QB coming out of college who dazzled his rookie season just fell off a performance cliff? 

Can he be reclamated? Can we get this guy back to where he was and more importantly can we fit a system around him to help him succeed?

Can he play in our existing system and take it up a level? All this before giving him a few mil/yr.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

RG3's a disaster.

Do you think Fitz and his agent are saying the same thing?

If so, Fitz can wait and call Mac's bluff...or.... might be telling Sexton to get on the horn and get a deal done.

I wish there was an EMOJI of someone playing with fire!

I prefer Fitz, but not at $10m+

Whatever he did prior to the devasting knee injury would be pointless to look at.  RG3 didnt become a bad qb because of his attitude, or his coaches, or the Redskins.  RG3 cant play anymore because his knee is shot.  He will never be the guy he was his rookie year.  He cant play in this league anymore.

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

RG3 cant play anymore because his knee is shot.  He will never be the guy he was his rookie year.  He cant play in this league anymore.

There is some sad irony of this post coming from a poster named Joe W. Namath.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

... Of epic proportions 

seriously what is one more wasted year to jet fans? Perfect year to tank, more time to eat cheeseburgers, play golf and have a stress free football yr. Watson will shift the balance of power to Jets while the aging brady and bellie ride off into sunset.

Just now, afosomf said:

seriously what is one more wasted year to jet fans? Perfect year to tank, more time to eat cheeseburgers, play golf and have a stress free football yr. Watson will shift the balance of power to Jets while the aging brady and bellie ride off into sunset.

That is fine but you do that by staying with Geno.  Not by bringing in this entitled fragile prima dona. 

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I should stress, wasn't meant as an insult Vill, more a lol-look-how-old-Fish-is chuckle.

You'd probably remember him most as a Falcon, had a couple decent years there (especially 1995).  But aye, check the link, alot of Georges flaws apply to RGIII.

It's not their physicals potential, it's their brains and priorities.

Didnt take is as an insult, for as long as you watch yourself with Mike Glennon! :-) 

With Ryan Fitzpatrick still playing hard to get, the Jets have decided to court another quarterback: Robert Griffin III.

Multiple sources told Newsday that the Jets hosted the former Redskins quarterback on a visit Friday that included dinner and an overnight stay.

The Jets’ top priority remains re-signing Fitzpatrick, who had a career resurgence while throwing to Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker last season. But with the sides still unable to agree on a multiyear deal, the Jets are taking their time and exploring other options.

Will they like what they see in Griffin? Once a bright star in Washington, he flamed out in recent years as questions about his leadership and mental toughness surfaced. The second overall pick in 2012, Griffin was the Offensive Rookie of the Year and a Pro Bowler before a knee injury and team discord derailed his promising career. He was released March 7.

It is telling that the Jets would entertain Griffin despite their desire to reunite with Fitzpatrick. It also speaks volumes that Griffin’s trip to Florham Park wasn’t just an in-and-out meeting. The longer he spends in New Jersey, the less leverage Fitzpatrick may have.

Fitzpatrick, 33, is coming off the best season of his 11-year career, throwing a franchise- record 31 touchdown passes and leading the Jets to a 10-6 record, their first winning season since 2010. Not surprisingly, he wants to be compensated like other starting quarterbacks (such as Brock Osweiler) who recently have signed deals, most in the range of $15 million to $18 million a year.

The Jets’ offer to Fitzpatrick reportedly was similar to the deal the Eagles gave to backup Chase Daniel — three years, $21 million, with $10 million guaranteed. But after days of trying to negotiate, the Jets don’t appear willing to cave in to Fitzpatrick’s agent, Jimmy Sexton. Instead, they’re doing their due diligence with other quarterbacks.

On Thursday, reports surfaced that the Jets, Browns and Broncos had discussed trades for 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. At the time, all three were desperate for quarterback help, but the Jets reportedly were the least aggressive. By Friday, Kaepernick reportedly had expressed a strong desire to play for Browns coach Hue Jackson and Broncos general manager John Elway announced that he had sent a 2017 conditional pick to Philadelphia for former Jet Mark Sanchez.

Getting Fitzpatrick back in the fold — at a more team-friendly price — remains the Jets’ objective, but for now, they’ve turned their attention to Griffin, who could be an intriguing fit in offensive coordinator Chan Gailey’s spread system.

Gailey, who became the Jets’ offensive coordinator last year, has a long history of adapting when it comes to his quarterbacks. Fitzpatrick experienced success playing in Buffalo from 2009-12, when Gailey was the Bills’ head coach, and was able to revive his career in Gailey’s quarterback-friendly system.

Throughout his coaching career, Gailey has had success working with more athletic quarterbacks such as Kordell Stewart and Tyler Thigpen. Griffin brings arm strength and a level of quickness that the Jets wouldn’t have with Fitzpatrick behind center. But it remains to be seen if Griffin is mature enough to be a locker room leader again and if he can improve his pocket poise.

The 26-year-old was benched twice by the Redskins in favor of Kirk Cousins, but he has an undeniable skill set that the Jets might find difficult to ignore.

Along with Griffin, the Jets hosted several free agents Friday, according to various sources: offensive tackle Kelvin Beachum, defensive end Jarvis Jenkins, linebacker Shea McClellin, tight end Jermaine Gresham and wide receiver Rod Streater. The Jets are trying to work out a deal with Jenkins, but it is not done, a source said.

Archived