Maccagnan and Bowles are downgrading this team

Kleckineau

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This has been debunked. They did not need to spend that much money on new players, no matter how many times the myth has been repeated, nor did a few of those pricey new contracts need to be backloaded with low cap hits in year 1.

In the words of Crosby and Nash ..Teach your children well

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This has been debunked. They did not need to spend that much money on new players, no matter how many times the myth has been repeated, nor did a few of those pricey new contracts need to be backloaded with low cap hits in year 1.

ToEmato ToMAto - 

I respectfully disagree : Link to reason #1 & Another link as to why we spent like we did in 2015

i respectfully disagree with your stance and stand firm with mine because we are free & clear by 2017 as we were only mandated to spend 89% through 2016.

Agree to disagree. We'll be able to blow our cap space on "Top Shelf Whiskey & Whores" again by March 2017!!!!

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If you want to make your posts longer, PM me. I can help you do that.

So much to say so little time to say it. ?It's a loaded topic resulting in repercussions by each move Mac makes or doesn't make.  Impossible to see it clearly without critical thinking in all phases and the domino effect that ensues. 

35 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

You should familiarize yourself with the term "The BIG PICTURE" and the theory of MACROECONOMICS and how that plays into this COMPETENT Front Office's strategy for building LONG-TERM success and sustaining it for, hopefully, perpetuity in a VERY Business-oriented league with a HARSH and HARD Salary Cap that ALL must adhere to. You KNOW there was a MANDATORY MINIMUM the Jets HAD TO SPEND in 2015, thus handcuffing 2016, and due to GREAT MacCags foresight will be in GREAT SHAPE again in 2017?

Lesson for you children out there, there are short-sighted people in this world, who INTEND well with their thoughts, but it doesn't mean they are AT ALL correct in their, or lack there of, rationale. 

You should familiarize with the Geno law of cause and effect. Cause: you're an azzhole. Effect: you get knocked out.

8 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

ToEmato ToMAto - 

I respectfully disagree : Link to reason #1 & Another link as to why we spent like we did in 2015

i respectfully disagree with your stance and stand firm with mine because we are free & clear by 2017 as we were only mandated to spend 89% through 2016.

Agree to disagree. We'll be able to blow our cap space on "Top Shelf Whiskey & Whores" again by March 2017!!!!

Neither of those says what you think it says. Neither says we needed to bring in so many people and pay them so much. Neither says we needed to backload any contracts to make them cheaper in year 1 of the contracts and more expensive in years 2-4. 

The team can spend money without throwing it away. We did not need to do what was done. All we needed to do was spend cash; that doesn't mean we needed to sign each new player to the new contracts we signed them to.

It's not a matter of agreeing to disagree any more than we can agree to disagree that 2+2=5.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A legit point completely ruined by hyperbole. It's pretty hard to get excited for this upcoming season. Even if they get Fitz back, this team doesn't look like it's going to be better in any areas in 2016 than they were in 2015, unless someone out there still has faith in Jace Amaro. Maybe the running game sees a bump in efficiency with Forte but I'm not sure how much that's going to matter in today's league.

It's a much harder schedule with essentially the same exact team that's a year older. Maybe we hit a grand slam in the draft, and that would be awesome but certainly not likely. It just kind of sucks being this sure that they're not going to make the playoffs when we're still 6 months away from the season starting. Only icing on the cake is if they put some prospects under center that we can watch and evaluate, and hey, cool. But this is a bridge season to 2017, no more no less.

Any merit to non-rookie GM & non-rookie HC should improve their performance in year 2?

7 minutes ago, Powpow said:

You should familiarize with the Geno law of cause and effect. Cause: you're an azzhole. Effect: you get knocked out.

Grow up already and stop with the Personal Insults like Max & Crusher told you to do you dolt. Sad you can't simply reply with a rationale argument and have to resort insults every time. Typical. SMH.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Thank you.

It seems reading comprehension is a lost art around here.

What do you think we should give up for the change at QB?

if the cost is 2016 Round 1 pick #20 for either Glennon or Kap do you make the move?

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Neither of those says what you think it says. Neither says we needed to bring in so many people and pay them so much. Neither says we needed to backload any contracts to make them cheaper in year 1 of the contracts and more expensive in years 2-4. 

The team can spend money without throwing it away. We did not need to do what was done. All we needed to do was spend cash; that doesn't mean we needed to sign each new player to the new contracts we signed them to.

It's not a matter of agreeing to disagree any more than we can agree to disagree that 2+2=5.

They actually do, it's clear we differ on the STRUCTURING of the contracts. Agree to disagree. We're in fine cap shape by 2017, that's all that matters. 

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Grow up already and stop with the Personal Insults like Max & Crusher told you to do you dolt. Sad you can't simply reply with a rationale argument and have to resort insults every time. Typical. SMH.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You should heed your own advice and not start something you can't finish. You're the one who started with the insults. And BTW Max and Crusher were also referring to you yet you continue with these 'sly' remarks thinking they have merit.  Word to the wise: if you don't like what people say keep it to yourself. No need to resort to wildly attacking others because their views are different or make more sense than yours.

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

They actually do, it's clear we differ on the STRUCTURING of the contracts. Agree to disagree. We're in fine cap shape by 2017, that's all that matters. 

No it's not all that matters IMO. We are not signing people we could now because of the sorry cap shape of 2016 (independent of temporary constraints like Ferguson and Mo). You never throw cap room away; it could have always been carried over.

And they did not address it. If we needed to spend cash, there was nothing forcing us to spend it on new players or to backload contracts.

For example, sign Carpenter and Skrine to the same (total dollar) contracts, but don't backload them. Spend more cash on them in 2015 to satisfy the "must spend" constraint and it would leave us with more space in 2016. So we could have spent another $7M in 2015 without paying $7M to Cromartie. There was plenty more to do along these lines, like pre-paying players we had (e.g. Decker) who we knew we wanted to keep past 2015: pay him more now so he costs less in the future. In the absence of outright pay cuts, players are always willing to restructure to get more $ now instead of later. Well over $10M could have been "spent" this way while not creating constraints in the future.

It's not hard to have spent the same $ to free up many millions per year after that no matter what Cimini or anyone else may have written. He's just a sportswriter who often "borrows" information from people who understand this stuff better than he does.

I can see why you may have thought so, but Cimini's checkers-player lack of imagination opinion doesn't change the empirical fact that it was not required for us to do what was done.

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You should heed your own advice and not start something you can't finish. You're the one who started with the insults. And BTW Max and Crusher were also referring to you yet you continue with these 'sly' remarks thinking they have merit.  Word to the wise: if you don't like what people say keep it to yourself. No need to resort to wildly attacking others because their views are different or make more sense than yours.

you are simply getting upset because you can not competently argue your viewpoint when it is countered with logic and you tend to short circuit. Whatever man, you are sad and a waste of my time and come across like an empty bag of hot air when discussing rationale for your football viewpoints. All the best and keep snatching the cradles. Se la vie!

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

you are simply getting upset because you can not competently argue your viewpoint when it is countered with logic and you tend to short circuit. Whatever man, you are sad and a waste of my time and come across like an empty bag of hot air when discussing rationale for your football viewpoints. All the best and keep snatching the cradles. Se la vie!

So odd how you depict yourself when viewing others. I've given several logical viewpoints on my positions. You just don't agree and for some inexplicable reason resort to vile insults. You seem like an intelligent kid, so there is hope for you. But if you lack respect on an Internet board, I can only imagine how you are in the asphalt jungle. Voltaire said its not through intelligence but by virtue that distinguishes men. Gain some.

40 minutes ago, ljr said:

Any merit to non-rookie GM & non-rookie HC should improve their performance in year 2?

I think he has already. He went from handing out deals like the Harris contract to playing Harrison and Fitz smart. That's great. Go Maccagnan. But that doesn't change the roster that's in front of us for the upcoming season. It's probably not a playoff team and it's certainly not a Super Bowl contender. It's the same guys as last year, a year older, with a harder schedule. Not a great spot to be. Seen too many seasons like that and it's a bummer to see we've probably got another one coming up. I don't think they have purposefully downgraded anything, it's just that this team isn't really any better than last year. Subtle difference between those two things given the context.

Not complaining and not being pessimistic, it just is what it is. 2017 or bust. Truth of the matter is we should have starting turning everything over way earlier, but that all really stems from not firing Rex after 2013 and even worse at the bye in 2014, and that's not Maccagnan's fault.

The guy has a hard gig coming up. This is an aging, slightly above-mediocre roster with very little young or homegrown talent outside of the DL. I think we're in for a couple of very down years because we are going to need a complete rebuild or renewal at almost every skill position; so hopefully the guy drafts better than he did last year and has some sort of cohesive plan to find a quarterback. I have no idea if he does and it's way too early to say either way.

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think he has already. He went from handing out deals like the Harris contract to playing Harrison and Fitz smart. That's great. Go Maccagnan. But that doesn't change the roster that's in front of us for the upcoming season. It's probably not a playoff team and it's certainly not a Super Bowl contender. It's the same guys as last year, a year older, with a harder schedule. Not a great spot to be. Seen too many seasons like that and it's a bummer to see we've probably got another one coming up. I don't think they have purposefully downgraded anything, it's just that this team isn't really any better than last year. Subtle difference between those two things given the context.

Not complaining and not being pessimistic, it just is what it is. 2017 or bust. Truth of the matter is we should have starting turning everything over way earlier, but that all really stems from not firing Rex after 2013 and even worse at the bye in 2014, and that's not Maccagnan's fault.

The guy has a hard gig coming up. This is an aging, slightly above-mediocre roster with very little young or homegrown talent outside of the DL. I think we're in for a couple of very down years because we are going to need a complete rebuild or renewal at almost every skill position; so hopefully the guy drafts better than he did last year and has some sort of cohesive plan to find a quarterback. I have no idea if he does and it's way too early to say either way.

...but you're not complaining. ;) 

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think he has already. He went from handing out deals like the Harris contract to playing Harrison and Fitz smart. That's great. Go Maccagnan. But that doesn't change the roster that's in front of us for the upcoming season. It's probably not a playoff team and it's certainly not a Super Bowl contender. It's the same guys as last year, a year older, with a harder schedule. Not a great spot to be. Seen too many seasons like that and it's a bummer to see we've probably got another one coming up.

The guy has a hard gig coming up. This is an aging, slightly above-mediocre roster with very little young or homegrown talent outside of the DL. I think we're in for a couple of very down years, so hopefully the guy drafts better than he did last year and has some sort of cohesive plan to find a quarterback. I have no idea if he does and it's way too early to say either way.

Perfectly summed up. I like many moves Mac has made and abhor many others. Getting Marshall, Carpenter, Forte, Fitz, Gilchrist, Skrine, Mauldin were all solid moves. Revis and Harris contracts were totally overblown and unnecessary. Cro was a huge gamble that again was wishful thinking.  It's year 2 for Mac and he needs to find a QB one way or another. The longer he waits, the longer it takes to mold one into the position. That's why so many on here are up in fumes. I argued this point after his first year as GM and he still hasn't addressed it. Crossing my fingers.

11 minutes ago, Powpow said:

So odd how you depict yourself when viewing others. I've given several logical viewpoints on my positions. You just don't agree and for some inexplicable reason resort to vile insults. You seem like an intelligent kid, so there is hope for you. But if you lack respect on an Internet board, I can only imagine how you are in the asphalt jungle. Voltaire said its not through intelligence but by virtue that distinguishes men. Gain some.

First off, I like how you ADD AFTER THE INITIAL POST to properly express yourself. 

I only respond TO vulgarity with reciprocal hostility, not always vulgar - but I agree a bit crass at times when provoked. I grew up in the Bronx during the Koch & Dinkins years so sadly I tend to reflect my nurturing environment at times, but my virtuosity is something reflected only in person, not an IP address that is as valid as some millenial's social online profile, let alone a NY Jets online fan forum - you should know that. 

I know who I am, as I am sure you know who you are without anyone else's validation. When we have disagreed in the past, your rationale comes across as truculent and superior, without in my opinion, sufficient evidence to validate your argument accordingly. It's probably best we NOT discourse in the future as, clearly our respective temperments indicate, don't often agree nor tolerate one another with proper decorum. So let it be and disregard one another accordingly from here on out. 

Or or as you may think, I'm just congruent to this charming and funny fellow and thus have no merit at all:

maxresdefault.jpg

:D

18 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Perfectly summed up. I like many moves Mac has made and abhor many others. Getting Marshall, Carpenter, Forte, Fitz, Gilchrist, Skrine, Mauldin were all solid moves. Revis and Harris contracts were totally overblown and unnecessary. Cro was a huge gamble that again was wishful thinking.  It's year 2 for Mac and he needs to find a QB one way or another. The longer he waits, the longer it takes to mold one into the position. That's why so many on here are up in fumes. I argued this point after his first year as GM and he still hasn't addressed it. Crossing my fingers.

The Jets had an easy schedule his first year and a few pieces in place to try to make a playoff run. OK, fair enough. At least he's not trying to grasp onto that any longer than he needs to be. The fallout from that is going to be the next couple years while we finally sit back and just let ourselves recover from the drafting disasters of the Tannenbaum and Idzik eras. That's really the start and the end of it right there.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/draft.htm

Look at '08 through '14. You're looking at 4 starters found in 7 drafts total. That is a monumentally epic springboard into problems that I think we're heading into. The quality players that we do have on this roster for the most part are going to be really old really soon. Which means we need starters for positions that we still don't have and replacements in the works for ones that we do have because of age. On top of the most important thing of all, no quarterback. That's a bad spot to be in. The good news is that he doesn't have any bad money really committed past this year and I guess he deserves the benefit of the doubt for the mediocrity of last year's draft class due to a shortened scouting period.

Reality is Maccagnan could wind up improving on the job for the next few years and it translates into less W's for a little while. IMO that's the likely scenario, but if there's a quarterback or two developing while that's going on then that's all that really matters.

You're making progress. I don't respond well to attacks. I too grew up in an impoverished neighborhood in Manhattan during the free wheelin 60's and 70's when everything was 'beautiful'.  Just try and be  more mindful of your words - they cut like a knife. Like I said, you're an intelligent kid and I actually enjoy reading SOME of your posts. And I actually see you more like this

imagejpeg

Mac is very very very lucky Fitz played his azz off this past year.  No one on here believed we could go 10-6 even with the revamped secondary which was just brutal in 2015.  But he has yet to secure a viable option st QB and has spent precious cap space last year which could have gone a long way this year.  TomShane said it best as well as you just did. It's early in his reign but unless he finds a QB soon, he'll be curtains in a few years.  Which is why he needs to find that man!

11 minutes ago, Powpow said:

You're making progress. I don't respond well to attacks. I too grew up in an impoverished neighborhood in Manhattan during the free wheelin 60's and 70's when everything was 'beautiful'.  Just try and be  more mindful of your words - they cut like a knife. Like I said, you're an intelligent kid and I actually enjoy reading SOME of your posts. And I actually see you more like this:

imagepng

You think my words on the Internet "cut like a knife," don't cross my path in a courtroom or owe me money. B)

you still come across smug as ever, but you only survive this world with piss & vinegar coursing through your veins, so in that regard, agree to perpetually disagree and avoid one another's paths. Go Jets.

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

You think my words on the Internet "cut like a knife," don't cross my path in a courtroom or owe me money. B)

you still come across smug as ever, but you only survive this world with piss & vinegar coursing through your veins, so in that regard, agree to perpetually disagree and avoid one another's paths. Go Jets.

I just came back from Japan and am now in Taiwan so all I can say is Buddha Bless You. 

What some see as improvements arent improvements to others. 

This team needs a franchise QB you do what you have to acquire one no matter what. 

47 years and counting.......

And who's the franchise QB we're currently missing out on?

Well under this theory they should improve every year until making the SB and then wining it perpetually. Anything less would be deemed a failure.

The bottom line is teams have and ebb and flow. Very very rarely will you have a Patriots situation unless you nail it big on an all world QB. We may not be that good this year. More for the simple fact alone that we don't have a QB. Every single available QB had/has major question marks. Kaepernick??? Fitz??? RG3??? Glennon??? None of these guys are sure shots, and most likely that all stink. The draft takes time to develop a QB when there's not a marquee guy like Luck. So chances are we will take a step back barring a miracle. But it won't be because of coaching or GM. It's because there are no options.

6 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Maccagnan and Bowles are downgrading this team.

They have created a net loss in talent by losing Harrison, Ivory, Allen and appear to be playing a game of who will blink first with Fitzpatrick when in reality they should be saying good bye Fitzy (he will return to form this year you watch) and aggressively pursuing Kaepernick or Glennon.

I realize they still have the draft ahead of them but they havent done anything (Leonard Williams?....please) in that regard to give me any confidence that they can address the QB position via the draft.

If this is how they are going to run things they will be a last place team for the next few years and will get themselves canned. 

Assuming the Jets re-sign Fitz, they're about the same on paper.

Macc and Bowles inherited the crappiest draft resume in recent history from the prior regimes, so they had to dress the roster up with veteran free agents to be competitive in year 1.  Devin Smith is put in an unfortunate situation having dink-n-dunk Fitz as his QB, but not hitting on the 2nd round pick puts a lot of pressure on Mauldin to deliver this season, otherwise things get really tough for Maccagnan to call the 2015 draft a win.

Make no mistake: the pressure is on Macc and Bowles to have a killer draft this season.  The roster is so thin on homegrown draft picks on their first contract and they can't spend so much cap space on vets.  They need at least 3, maybe 4 competent NFL players in year 1 from this draft.  I mean guys who can contribute in a positive way beyond special teams.

I think Fitz will eventually resign and Brick will restructure.  Maybe Qvale starts and Giacomini gets cut too.  I think if Fitz is back the offense will figure it out and be competent again.

But I'm worried about the defense.  The OLB position is crap right now, looks like Sheldon could get pushed to OLB duty again next season unless Mo gets traded.  The ILB position with Harris and Henderson is on the slow side.  You can't expect to beat Tom Brady with this caliber of pass coverage at the linebacker position.

I'm looking at a team with a tough schedule that could be lucky to get to 8-8.

Then, in 2017, the stench of the Tanny/Idzik drafting finally lifts off the roster, Bryce Petty takes us to the next level.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The team can spend money without throwing it away. YOUR OPINION THAT IT's THROWN AWAY. We did not need to do what was done. All we needed to do was spend cash; that doesn't mean we needed to sign each new player to the new contracts we signed them to.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No it's not all that matters IMO. We are not signing people we could now because of the sorry cap shape of 2016 (independent of temporary constraints like Ferguson and Mo). You never throw cap room away; it could have always been carried over. 

And they did not address it. If we needed to spend cash, there was nothing forcing us to spend it on new players or to backload contracts. HOW DO YOU KNOW FOR A FACT THAT MacCags VIEWED WHICH PLAYERS TO SIGN LongTerm and deemed other expendable? Most of the contracts can be cut w/no severe results allowing SalaryCap leeway within 2-3 years WHILE STILL SATISFYING the 89% rule.

For example, sign Carpenter and Skrine to the same (total dollar) contracts, but don't backload them. Spend more cash on them in 2015 to satisfy the "must spend" constraint and it would leave us with more space in 2016. So we could have spent another $7M in 2015 without paying $7M to Cromartie. There was plenty more to do along these lines, like pre-paying players we had (e.g. Decker)- WITH WHAT CERTAINTY CAN YOU STATE THAT THE NEW REGIME WANTED TO PREPAY DECKER BEFORE he played 1 DOWN in THEIR new schemes? ALSO, MOST League Execs thought Decker's INITAL IDZIK contract was ABOVE MARKET for a #2 - who we knew we wanted to keep past 2015 CITE THAT: pay him more now so he costs less in the future. In the absence of outright pay cuts, players are always willing to restructure to get more $ now instead of later. Well over $10M could have been "spent" this way while not creating constraints in the future.

It's not hard to have spent the same $ to free up many millions per year after that no matter what Cimini or anyone else may have written. He's just a sportswriter who often "borrows" information from people who understand this stuff better than he does.

I can see why you may have thought so, but Cimini's checkers-player lack of imagination opinion doesn't change the empirical fact that it was not required for us to do what was done.

Everything you state is, IMO, based on how YOU believe the Jets SHOULD HAVE spent and STRUCTURED the contracts. Yes they are permitted a carryover, but what good does that do when you have a NEW Front Office, Scouting Dept., & Coaching Staff in 2015 that had NO IDEA whether the current stock of players they inherited from 2014 and prior (Decker as you state) would "fit" their agenda & schemes. AND it seems clear, to me at least, that MacCags was MORE willing to invest LongTerm on FAs HE SIGNED - Carpenter, Skrine, Gilchrist, even Cro on a 1 yr Rental - than "pre-paying" players (as YOU STATE) we already had, but back in March 2015 we HAD NO collective IDEA whether the NEW REGIME wanted to KEEP the Tanny/Idzik players past 2015 - ala Kerley, Cumberland, Ivory, Coples, etc. So all your long-winded rationale is MERELY YOUR CONJECTURE on how YOU would have structured the contracts, BUT NO IDEA AS TO WHERE AND WHAT the NEW GM MacCags and the NEW CS's disposition & assessment would be on the inherited roster they got and whether THOSE players were WORTH PRE-PAYING. 

Like I said, Agree to Disagree because I see where you're coming from but that doesn't mean you are right, nor am I for all we know, and that I have to acquiesce to YOUR opinion which is JUST AS PROJECTED as mine. In the end, 2017 we are in MUCH better shape to SPEND on FAs w/SUFFICIENT salary cap space and being the 3rd year in with MacCag's draft picks that should be material contributors on the field at CUT-RATE draft slot salaries. 

Frustrating offseason so far.  Wilkerson tying up 16 M, no money to sign FA's. Fitz going for elite money.   Not the way I wanted to see the off season go, but it's hard for me to see what else the FO could do.

One thing I like is they haven't panicked and done anything that will hurt the future................Yet...

Few things dangling out there that have to be resolved before any kind of conclusion can be drawn   

12 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Maccagnan and Bowles are downgrading this team.

They have created a net loss in talent by losing Harrison, Ivory, Allen and appear to be playing a game of who will blink first with Fitzpatrick when in reality they should be saying good bye Fitzy (he will return to form this year you watch) and aggressively pursuing Kaepernick or Glennon.

I realize they still have the draft ahead of them but they havent done anything (Leonard Williams?....please) in that regard to give me any confidence that they can address the QB position via the draft.

If this is how they are going to run things they will be a last place team for the next few years and will get themselves canned. 

What are they downgrading from, the huge upgrade that they were responsible for last year? How did we get Marshall, Carpenter, Henderson, Skrine, Revis (again), etc. etc.? We lost Ivory and replaced him with a better overall running back for cheaper, we lost Harrison and replaced him with a solid NT for cheaper. 

We should be pursuing Glennon, but we dont know whats happening specifically behind the scenes. Just because we're not hearing about it doesnt mean that its happening/not happening. From what I've seen so far from the "Executive of the Year", I think he understands that we need a QB and preferably one not named Fitzpatrick. 

Macc is retooling, not downgrading. He's not just retooling the talent but he's also reallocating the funds, and the process takes a bit. But this team is still competitive talent wise than at anytime during the 3 years before Macc got here. We're okay. We do need a solid QB though, but its not even April. He'll get it done my friend. 

Archived