Jets need to draft....Connor Cook

CurtisMartin17

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

wins & level of competition has never been a great predictor of success, for a litany of reasons. Did Colt McCoy ever lose a game? All it is, is an extra level of scrutiny to help answer some questions. Less mystery... There are of course reasons why you would draft a power 5 QB over a Div-3 QB... but that talent divide exists at a fundamental level. 

Connor cook played against big 10 opponents... with big ten Teammates.... Paxton Lynch played with walks ons and scrubs who will be selling cars at Gary's Lot next year... Lynch deserves all the credit for those big wins over programs like Ole Miss. Connor Cook helped facilitate wins for the spartans.

There's a difference IMO.

Refresh my memory. Didn't Ole Miss beat Alabama last year? The same team that made Connor Cook look like a pee-wee player? 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Refresh my memory. Didn't Ole Miss beat Alabama last year? The same team that made Connor Cook look like a pee-wee player? 

Hell of a game too. Actually that was best I've seen both Coker and Kelly look. They were playing out of their minds.

Just now, Paradis said:

Hell of a game too. Actually that was best I've seen both Coker and Kelly look. They were playing out of their minds.

Yes, but I was adding fuel to your argument. Lynch put up 42 pts on the team that beat Bama. Cook got the goose-egg. Cook is a bum.

Yes, but I was adding fuel to your argument. Lynch put up 42 pts on the team that beat Bama. Cook got the goose-egg. Cook is a bum.

I know

I'm trying not to be THAT guy this year. I want people to engage in conversation over just feeling I'm gonna jump down their throat.

*sigh* .... I'm in for a let down tomorrow night. I can feel it.

5 hours ago, Mainejet said:

More importantly, If MAC thought that Connor Cook was worth drafting? Then I would trust his opinion on things. Mac has never given us any reason (not IMO) to call him out on things he does. He turned this team in the span of one season from a joke to a fringe playoff team.

I get the blind faith but all the signs point to Cook not making an impact in the NFL.  Yea I would root my ass off if we draft him, but my expectations would be low.  

And does Macc deserve the benefit of the doubt, sure.  But he and Chan over estimated Petty, and looking back to all the years he was in Houston, they never drafted and developed a QB.

truth to told, the next QB Macc takes is gonna have to be "HIS" guy.  He really can't take a late round flyer without cutting bait on Petty.  So, we need a QB, so my guess it's going to be one pretty early so he better be right.

21 hours ago, CurtisMartin17 said:

We should give Geno another chance by the way. Having Decker, Marshall, Forte & a deep threat in Devin Smith should play to his strengths. Plus sitting out a year gave him time to study the game & opponents. In 2013 he went 8-8 with a mediocre team. 2014 was, excuse my language, raped by John Idzik. Geno only played half a game last year so not enough of a sample size of his skills. Besides everyone gets better with age

Half a game?? He went in on the first Jets drive of the first quarter against the Raiders.

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I know emoji6.png

I'm trying not to be THAT guy this year. I want people to engage in conversation over just feeling I'm gonna jump down their throat.

Happens every year.  I get so excited about the possibilities and in return we draft another DL.  It's absolutely amazing how many #1 picks we have used on DL and corners, and that we have holes in both units.  Now add how many free agents we have signed to both units and it's quite sad.  If DL is so freaking important that we need to use 4 first round picks in five years, then why the hell haven't we extended MoWilk yet?

4 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Happens every year.  I get so excited about the possibilities and in return we draft another DL.  It's absolutely amazing how many #1 picks we have used on DL and corners, and that we have holes in both units.  Now add how many free agents we have signed to both units and it's quite sad.  If DL is so freaking important that we need to use 4 first round picks in five years, then why the hell haven't we extended MoWilk yet?

We might have a hole at one corner? 

Because he's so good he will get paid big money?  That's a problem with the draft? 

59 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I know emoji6.png

Did you see the mock last night on NFL network? Jets got your man. My darkhorse, Ryan Kelly, went 4 picks later to Bengals. No matter what happens, the draft is my favorite night of sports for the year.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Did you see the mock last night on NFL network? Jets got your man. My darkhorse, Ryan Kelly, went 4 picks later to Bengals. No matter what happens, the draft is my favorite night of sports for the year.

this one's up there Sec... this is gonna be either the worst or best draft in recent memory... the last time i felt this strongly about a round 1 guy (one that we actually had interest in that is) - DMC in 2008.. What did we end up with? Gholston.. lol.. there's lots of prospects I've been head over heels with, but rarely do our needs and that passion meet like star-crossed lovers.

The reason the stakes are so high in this one, is that the alternatives are terrible IMO. We don't need the dlineman/corners, i'm not big on drafting RTs that high, i'm down on guys like Ragland and Floyd, and the day we draft a WR in the first, is the day Chrebet comes out of retirement... 

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 7:29 PM, CurtisMartin17 said:

I know everyone wouldn't be on board with this but hear me out. I never really found Paxton Lynch that good of a quarterback, its just the "draft experts" pushing him up the board. No way is it worth trading up for Lynch. Before last year's draft I read an article where someone compared Connor Cook to a young Peyton Manning. Ever since then I've been on the Cook bandwagon. Jets can't wait till the second round because the Broncos will most likely definitely take him at the end of the 1st. Take Cook at 20 or trade back to 25 max, any lower & someone (like the browns if they don't take lynch) will leapfrog us for Cook. We can address OLB in the second round by either taking Noah Spence if he slides or take the forgotten about Kamalei Correa. Just feel like Cook is more ready then Paxton Lynch will ever be, no matter how long he develops. Not to mention, Jaws & Gruden consider Cook either top QB or top 3 this year. Any chance of this happening. I think Bowles/MacCagnan liked Cook last year before he decided to stay in College 1 more year. BTW all the talk about leadership is bullsh*t in my opinion. Cook isn't anything like Geno smith

I  agree and disagree. Number 1 where I disagree is Lynch is not a good QB. He is and he has a chip on his shoulder and I like that. Where I  agree with you Cook will be an above average if not pro bowl caliber QB. I am high on both QBS. I liked Cooks internship for Gruden on his QB show. He impressed me a lot. He answered the question why he was not a captain and challenged anyone about his commitment to any of his fellow teammates or coaches. Jets need a QB.   

On 4/27/2016 at 10:20 PM, YankeeJet22 said:

Cook's arm strength is plenty strong enough. He has a real quick release. Played in a pro style offense against top college competition. Won a sh*tload of games. Big strong 6'4" frame. 

Agreed

13 hours ago, 77DRAFT said:

Petty would be rated way over both Hack and Cook if he where in this draft,

Petty is accurate, and that is something all great NFL quarterbacks possess,

not saying he will be great, but he has a chance.  We make take a flyer on a qb

in the 4th, possibly the 3rd, but I don't believe it will be on an inaccurate passer,

if there is a guy out there with an accurate gun, we want him.

You are out of your mind. Both Hackenberg and Connor played 4 years in pro style offenses, against top competition, are excellent athletes and have big arms.  Neither one of these guys will last past the 2nd round or 3rd round; Petty played in a gimmick offense and went in the 4th round for reason.  

9 hours ago, JetBlue said:

You are out of your mind. Both Hackenberg and Connor played 4 years in pro style offenses, against top competition, are excellent athletes and have big arms.  Neither one of these guys will last past the 2nd round or 3rd round; Petty played in a gimmick offense and went in the 4th round for reason.  

Definitely not an exact science, but name me one top qb in the league who is inaccurate and please don't say Fitz.

1 hour ago, YankeeJet22 said:

I must be be stupid, you must be smart.  congrats.

I watched Cook play a couple games.  I won't say I'm an expert.  I saw a team that was playing (against Iowa) to have a chance to go to a BCS bowl...  2 minute drill and they were SCARED to pass.  That says all you need to know.  He looked scared.  That's not what I'm looking for.

Also, when's the last time the starting QB, a senior, wasn't captain of his team?

6 hours ago, 77DRAFT said:

Definitely not an exact science, but name me one top qb in the league who is inaccurate and please don't say Fitz.

You are assuming that Cook and Hackenberg are both inaccurate and I disagree so your point is moot. 

Archived