Jets need to draft....Connor Cook

CurtisMartin17

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, CurtisMartin17 said:

He was throwing a lot of deep balls at Michigan state & didn't have receivers like Decker & Marshall. Tnats what led to his high incompletion %. But honestly if I could have 1 player in the 1st round it would be Jaylon smith pre injury or Ezekiel Elliot

cook's yards per attempt is slightly higher than Lynch's.  But less than 1 yard does not make up for 10% completions.

cook will never be a starter in the NFL.  He is very limited arm strength and accuracy and doesn't have the mental makeup to change.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

I hear the knocks on Cook but if he is so poor why is he Gruden's and Jaws favorite pick?

Well Jaws loved Kellen Clemens, so there's that.  And Gruden loves every QB prospect in every draft.  

35 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I'm not nitpicking when I say that Cooks completion percentage was worse than Sanchez's at USC.  That is quite terrible because we know how inaccurate Sanchez was.  Cook wouldn't survive one season as a Jets QB because the media would crucify him and he doesn't appear to have the demeanor to handle it.

and I want to like Hackenburg but he has been so bad the last two years that I find it hard to believe their is an offensive coordinator in the NFL that can guarantee to fix him enough to warrant taking him on the first two days of the draft.

i am to the point that I am not sure I could watch Geno be our starting QB, but I would take Geno over both of them.

Since Geno has 3 years on them I would take Geno too because neither of those guys are ready to come in and start day one.  That is why I go with Hack in the 2nd round.   I think he has been better than you are giving him credit for.   I remember Dan Marino having a subpar senior year and that, along with the pot rumors caused him to slip all the way to the Dolphins, who got a steal. I am not comparing him to Marino, but he has some serious arm talent and is big and mobile.  Another plus is he played in a pro style offense.  I would gamble on a kid like that. I just wouldn't do it in round one.  Of course some one else may snatch him up before we even get to pick....  

1 hour ago, #bman said:

Honestly, EVERY SINGLE Draft has a Connor Cook, Bryce Petty, Paxton Lynch, Garret Grayson, AJ Maccaron etc. Aren't they really all the same! Not one of them is a can't miss prospect. They are all Jags and there's a handfull each and every year.

Unless the Jets absolutely feel that a prospect this year is a bona fide future star then it's a waste of a pick. Especially in the first two rounds. They already have Geno and Petty. Do you thin anyone of the above are going to be THAT much better then Geno/Petty? I think the QB stuff is all a smokescreen. Jets are planning on Fitzy this year and they hope that Petty can push for the job next year.

Correct.  Every single draft has the same questions.  But look back at the last several drafts.  The first round is riddled with busts.  There are several first rounders that don't even get their 5th year option picked up.  Hell we have had 2 the last two seasons (Milliner & Coples).  I think the consensus is that there are about 10 bonefide first rounders in this draft.  The rest are crapshoots.  If you have a shot at developing a franchise QB or an equal shot at developing a LB, who would you rather have?

Front Offices don't have an unlimited time to find their QB.  And judging by what both Macc and Bowles went through in Hou and AZ at the QB position, they both want this position solved sooner than later.

And does the fact that Bruce Arians loves Lynch say anything?

47 minutes ago, varjet said:

As we have seen from recent articles, the Jets have drafted miserably over the past 5 years.  That includes at QB, and that is a deep hole to get out of.  

Are your odds better at finding a QB higher in the first round?  Yes, but they need to try in the second or third round until the find someone.  A QB like that will take 2-3 years to develop, so they need to invest now for the future.

Hopefully Petty and whomever they draft this year will work out.  But until they find a QB, picks that could go to other positions will need to be used there.

Depressing, but reality.

I think they have a Qb and his name is Fitz. And developing one takes time and often means losing games. So I'm for signing competent vet Qbs who have starting experience and know how to play the position. This idea of having to get a franchise Qb is mostly a myth. Very few guys are that good and have longevity especially with one team. We tried it with Mark Sanchez and it didn't work out. You can catch lightning in a bottle like Seattle did with Russell Wilson but there are more Matt Leinarts than Wilsons. And if you do get a good one they take up a lot of your cap. Look at all the guys the Ravens had to cut to sign Flacco. I'll settle for competency at Qb you can win without greatness.

1 minute ago, CurtisMartin17 said:

But that article was written back on March 1st. Almost 2 months later we know teams that have multiple 2nd/3rd round picks can afford to use a pick on the third or fourth qb in the draft (Cook). Denver, Cleveland,San Fran & Houston are teams that have been connected to cook in the 2nd or 3rd round. If the "most important" position still isn't settled, why not use our most important pick on a  QB every so often. When you do enough research you eventually find gold. IDK who agrees or disagrees, I want Cook & believe in him

Absolutely.

If some one over reaches for him.  O K .  I'm kind of stunned what's been given up for what, IMO, are QB's with major ?'s.  I think/hope Macc is going to have the patience to wait for some one with good value to fall to him, or as he did last year with Petty, trade up slightly, to get a guy he has graded much higher.

We should give Geno another chance by the way. Having Decker, Marshall, Forte & a deep threat in Devin Smith should play to his strengths. Plus sitting out a year gave him time to study the game & opponents. In 2013 he went 8-8 with a mediocre team. 2014 was, excuse my language, raped by John Idzik. Geno only played half a game last year so not enough of a sample size of his skills. Besides everyone gets better with age

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Absolutely.

If some one over reaches for him.  O K .  I'm kind of stunned what's been given up for what, IMO, are QB's with major ?'s.  I think/hope Macc is going to have the patience to wait for some one with good value to fall to him, or as he did last year with Petty, trade up slightly, to get a guy he has graded much higher.

Its better we use one pick on a QB at the end of the first round then trade the farm for an equally skilled qb instead of staying put. Wish Greg McElroy worked out different for us. Though he had talent

5 minutes ago, CurtisMartin17 said:

Its better we use one pick on a QB at the end of the first round then trade the farm for an equally skilled qb instead of staying put. Wish Greg McElroy worked out different for us. Though he had talent

If an astute GM feels that  QB is close to BAP, I'll agree.

If he's making the pick, just because he's the next QB up, don't think he'll still be the GM in 4 years.

IMO Macc is in the first category of GM's.   If he makes the pick, I'll be good with it.......................For now

EDIT:  Actually I liked McElroy to.  Probably talked myself into all of them, as I'm trying to do with both Lynch, and Cook...........Just in case. :)

24 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Correct.  Every single draft has the same questions.  But look back at the last several drafts.  The first round is riddled with busts.  There are several first rounders that don't even get their 5th year option picked up.  Hell we have had 2 the last two seasons (Milliner & Coples).  I think the consensus is that there are about 10 bonefide first rounders in this draft.  The rest are crapshoots.  If you have a shot at developing a franchise QB or an equal shot at developing a LB, who would you rather have?

Front Offices don't have an unlimited time to find their QB.  And judging by what both Macc and Bowles went through in Hou and AZ at the QB position, they both want this position solved sooner than later.

And does the fact that Bruce Arians loves Lynch say anything?

Don't be surprised if Hackenberg lands in AZ.  I don't get caught up in who loves who at this stage.   Player has to be available when you pick unless you move up for him.  We both know Lynch will be long gone before they pick at 29 but Hackenberg or Cook should still be there.  I could see him picking either one and have them site behind Carson Palmer for a year.  The way Palmer played in the playoffs, I think Ariens will be looking for quarterback he can develop. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

How's Fitz accuracy? Does that fit the Jets 'system'? 

Perhaps some of these inaccuratacy concerns are correctable via footwork, coaching. 

Didnt peyton manning come up small in a few of his big games?

He's still a kid

Every Florida game.  Pretty sure he was 0-4 vs them.  TN did put up around 35 a game against them though if I recall. There were some wild scores though (like 62-37 type games iirc)

29 minutes ago, CurtisMartin17 said:

We should give Geno another chance by the way. Having Decker, Marshall, Forte & a deep threat in Devin Smith should play to his strengths. Plus sitting out a year gave him time to study the game & opponents. In 2013 he went 8-8 with a mediocre team. 2014 was, excuse my language, raped by John Idzik. Geno only played half a game last year so not enough of a sample size of his skills. Besides everyone gets better with age

You are definitely new here; look out for the tar and feathers!.  FWIW I agree with your assessment; still wouldn't stop me from drafting a QB.  

48 minutes ago, CurtisMartin17 said:

When people say we are giving up the farm, what they are actually referring to is a FA that wants a long term deal at $15-16M per.  Harsh truth is that without a QB Wilkerson can't get us to the playoffs.  He hasn't played in a post season game ever.  

And even if we didn't trade Wilk, and had to give up a 2 and/or 3, who cares.  Have you seen the contributions that this team has gotten out of their last several 2nd and 3rd round picks have given them?  

How ow many starters did we have on the team last year that were drafted between the 2nd and 7th round?  zero on offense and Davis is the only one on defense.  

So if we had to give up Milliner, Devin Smith, and McDougle to get a shot at a franchise QB, it's a no brainer.  Let's not overrate these day two and three picks.  We haven't done sh*t with them yet.

these picks only become worth something if we do a better job developing them.

A franchise QB makes the entire team better.  Without one, we are just pissing in the wind.

First of all, I question the idea of having to trade up to select Paxton lynch. Most draftniks that are talking right now claim he'll be available at #20. Maybe their right, maybe their wrong, but I'm just saying it certainly isn't a lock of having to trade up to grab Lynch.

With that said, if Lynch is gone or the Jets opt to trade back? I would be fine taking someone like Hackenberg or Cook. I always liked Cook at Michigan ST and I really thought he'd be a top notch prospect in this draft. Not sure why he slipped? 

7 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I hear the knocks on Cook but if he is so poor why is he Gruden's and Jaws favorite pick?

Who gives a sh*t if Connor Cook is Gruden and Jaws favorite QB? Jaws maintained that Kellen Clemens was an excellent QB back during the time that the Jets drafted him and we all know what he turned out to be. These guys are paid by their jobs to talk about football players. That's what they do. In fact, what they do is babble on about BS every year right around draft time. It doesn't mean that they know jack squat about QB's coming out of college. Their opinion is just that, an opinion.

Oh yeah, and Jon Gruden has been quoted as saying he's confused as to why the Jets think they need to draft a QB. He claims that the Jets are still in the process of developing Geno Smith. That should give you every indication of Gruden's knowledge of the Jets and their needs.

Between Geno & Petty, the Jets already have enough mediocre QB prospects on the roster. If they can't get one of the top 3 guys in the draft, just wait until next year, improve the rest of the team, and load up to select one next year. 

33 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Between Geno & Petty, the Jets already have enough mediocre QB prospects on the roster. If they can't get one of the top 3 guys in the draft, just wait until next year, improve the rest of the team, and load up to select one next year. 

Why get a mediocre qb prospect in rd 2 or 4 when you can use a 1st rd pick to get a bad qb?

6 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Who gives a sh*t if Connor Cook is Gruden and Jaws favorite QB? Jaws maintained that Kellen Clemens was an excellent QB back during the time that the Jets drafted him and we all know what he turned out to be. These guys are paid by their jobs to talk about football players. That's what they do. In fact, what they do is babble on about BS every year right around draft time. It doesn't mean that they know jack squat about QB's coming out of college. Their opinion is just that, an opinion.

Oh yeah, and Jon Gruden has been quoted as saying he's confused as to why the Jets think they need to draft a QB. He claims that the Jets are still in the process of developing Geno Smith. That should give you every indication of Gruden's knowledge of the Jets and their needs.

jaws loved kellen clemens lol

Some of the comments in this thread are what you'd expect below a youtube video.

He has a ton of upside. I think someone will take him in the first and wouldn't even be shocked if we took him at 20. I wouldn't hate the pick in the 2nd round. People are far too critical of the Alabama game, where he's running for his on every play with WR's totally blanketed.

I think there'll be a pro-bowl QB to come out of the later rounds in this draft, just don't have a clue which one. 

7 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Or maybe gruden doesn't share the high opinion you have for the qb's that are available to the jets in the draft and FA/trade?

gruden has a super bowl ring and developed Brett Favre.  I think I trust Gruden

One thing I want to see out of a QB, especially a guy who has started 3 years in college is improvement.  I loved Cook after his sophomore year, I was hoping he would come out last year when we were at 6.  I have really wanted to like him -- I have watched a lot of MSU games hoping to like the kid, big arm, pro system, etc.  But I just can't get behind him as a pick for the Jets.  Here are his numbers from MSU.

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD TD % Int Int % Rate
*2012 Michigan State Big Ten   QB 3 9 17 52.9 94 5.5 4.1 1 5.88% 1 5.88% 107
*2013 Michigan State Big Ten SO QB 14 223 380 58.7 2755 7.3 7.7 22 5.79% 6 1.58% 136
*2014 Michigan State Big Ten JR QB 13 212 365 58.1 3214 8.8 9.1 24 6.58% 8 2.19% 149
2015 Michigan State Big Ten SR QB 13 229 408 56.1 3131 7.7 8.1 24 5.88% 7 1.72% 137
Career Michigan State         673 1170 57.5 9194 7.9 8.2 71 6.07% 22 1.88% 140

He has had 3 years as a starter with a great coaching staff and has shown little to no improvement.  Not a guy I am excited about.

This is the biggest issue with this draft.  The QB frenzy is ridiculous.

The difference between Goff > Wentz > Lynch > Cook > Hogan > Jones > Prescott > Hackenburg, etc, is marginal at best.  None of these guys are elite prospects.  None of these guys were names you've been talking about since their freshman years like a Winston or Luck or Manning, etc.  They all popped up in an all of a sudden manner when teams started freaking out about a QB.

Interestingly enough, Cook was probably the one consistent name out of these jokers. But I have a hard time drafting a guy in the 1st round who completed 57% of his passes and only completed 56% as a Senior.  A Senior, who wasnt even the captain of his team, who wasnt even a top 20 guy from a production standpoint and didnt attend the Senior Bowl.  Then when you consider the fact he plays the likes of: Western Michigan, Air Force, Central Michigan, Purdue, Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland, Penn St., Nebraska - it's a huge red flag. 

The truth is, history says they're all going to suck...except maybe 1 will have a decent career.  Which is what makes the Eagles and Rams trades so F'ing ridiculous.  History tells us, one them just ruined their near future.

I'm not taking Cook in the first 3 rounds if I'm a GM.

I don't watch enough college football to have an opinion but from what I've read every one of these QBs (possibly except Goff) need a year of learning on the bench.  If the Jets keep Petty then we'll have 2 QBs who need a year of learning (I've always read that Petty needs 2 years).  Obviously we'd need someone to start and someone to be a realistic backup QB.  My question is - do teams carry 4 QBs?

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't watch enough college football to have an opinion but from what I've read every one of these QBs (possibly except Goff) need a year of learning on the bench.  If the Jets keep Petty then we'll have 2 QBs who need a year of learning (I've always read that Petty needs 2 years).  Obviously we'd need someone to start and someone to be a realistic backup QB.  My question is - do teams carry 4 QBs?

Yes some do, but none of em are high draft picks. The 4th QB usually end up on the practice squad, so with Geno, Kyle and Paxton, who will be on the practice squad ?

Archived