Jets need to draft....Connor Cook

CurtisMartin17

13 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I hear the knocks on Cook but if he is so poor why is he Gruden's and Jaws favorite pick?

Gruden is a joke and Jaws has NEVER seen a QB he didn't love. These guys are TV personalities NOT scouts or personnel managers. I don't buy into very much they have to say.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Yes some do, but none of em are high draft picks. The 4th QB usually end up on the practice squad, so with Geno, Kyle and Paxton, who will be on the practice squad ?

Are practice squad guys protected?  E.g. could we move Petty to the PS without losing him?

Just now, Ex-Rex said:

Gruden is a joke and Jaws has NEVER seen a QB he didn't love. These guys are TV personalities NOT scouts or personnel managers. I don't buy into very much they have to say.

I'm 100% positive that these kids agents pay Gruden to suck them off in that room.

13 hours ago, C Mart said:

So then how do we know what's the Jets "system" is if all we have seen under Gailey has been Fitz

Good thorough scouting report on Cook. 

LOL.  We need more details, such as which ball he sucks first.

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Are practice squad guys protected?  E.g. could we move Petty to the PS without losing him?

Nope.  PS players can be claimed to the active roster of any other team in season.  Petty (or anyone else) would have to clear waivers before before being placed on PS.  Even if our CS sees him as nothing more than a career back up, I can't see them leaving him exposed.

32 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Or maybe gruden doesn't share the high opinion you have for the qb's that are available to the jets in the draft and FA/trade?

gruden has a super bowl ring and developed Brett Favre.  I think I trust Gruden

Actually that was Steve Mariucci the Packer QB coach at the time Gruden was the W/R coach..:)

Petty would be rated way over both Hack and Cook if he where in this draft,

Petty is accurate, and that is something all great NFL quarterbacks possess,

not saying he will be great, but he has a chance.  We make take a flyer on a qb

in the 4th, possibly the 3rd, but I don't believe it will be on an inaccurate passer,

if there is a guy out there with an accurate gun, we want him.

9 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Who gives a sh*t if Connor Cook is Gruden and Jaws favorite QB? Jaws maintained that Kellen Clemens was an excellent QB back during the time that the Jets drafted him and we all know what he turned out to be. These guys are paid by their jobs to talk about football players. That's what they do. In fact, what they do is babble on about BS every year right around draft time. It doesn't mean that they know jack squat about QB's coming out of college. Their opinion is just that, an opinion.

Oh yeah, and Jon Gruden has been quoted as saying he's confused as to why the Jets think they need to draft a QB. He claims that the Jets are still in the process of developing Geno Smith. That should give you every indication of Gruden's knowledge of the Jets and their needs.

I was simply showing that not every evaluator was down on Cook.  Indeed I could have chosen others and I'm quite sure that you would have posted some variation of your post.  

Simply put since neither you are I are professional evaluators of NFL talent I think that they are at least worth mentioning even if disagree with what they are stating.   Disdmissing a paid analyst opinion as babble isn't saying anything unless you say why they are wrong in their opinion  

But please don't let me stop you; feel free to post your personal interviews, tapes and visual  breakdowns of the various collegiate players with accompanying astute observations  

I for one know that I will be waiting...... and waiting.......and waiting and..... ☺️

10 minutes ago, peebag said:

hmmm...I saw several Michigan State games and I'd want him on the Jets.  Kid knows how to win.

I watched his games vs Alabama and Michigan...counted roughly 13 dropped passes that were on the money.  I wasn't so worried about his comp pct after that, but wouldn't be so quick to draft most of his receivers.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I watched his games vs Alabama and Michigan...counted roughly 13 dropped passes that were on the money.  I wasn't so worried about his comp pct after that, but wouldn't be so quick to draft most of his receivers.

So if Cook comes to the jets, he'll have Marshall, Decker, Forte, devin smith & Enunwa. Watch his completion % go up to at least 70

17 minutes ago, peebag said:

hmmm...I saw several Michigan State games and I'd want him on the Jets.  Kid knows how to win.

He had a lot of help, MSU has put out a fair number of good players the last few years and more will we drafted his year.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

plus the talent on alabama's d is insane.

5 minutes ago, CurtisMartin17 said:

So if Cook comes to the jets, he'll have Marshall, Decker, Forte, devin smith & Enunwa. Watch his completion % go up to at least 70

That's a bit low...I'd say 83% while he learns the ropes...with a bump to the low 90's by year two.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

plus the talent on alabama's d is insane.

Both those defenses were excellent, which is why I chose those games.  He put the ball on target consistently....he can't catch it too.

I I never really found Paxton Lynch that good of a quarterback, its just the "draft experts" pushing him up the board. No way is it worth trading up for Lynch. Before last year's draft I read an article where someone compared Connor Cook to a young Peyton Manning. Ever since then I've been on the Cook bandwagon.

Thats just make no sense

Anyone can watch his passes against Bama on youtube. He never stood a chance on most of the plays and if anything probably did more than could have been expected.

Lynch's display against Auburn is similar, the team was just clearly overmatched although I think Cook played better.

Just now, Irish Jet said:

Anyone can watch his passes against Bama on youtube. He never stood a chance on most of the plays and if anything probably did more than could have been expected.

Lynch's display against Auburn is similar, the team was just clearly overmatched although I think Cook played better.

And he had zero ground game to help him out against Alabama.  I think Mich St had 8 yds on 12 carries at the half.

Here's the difference between being the next Alex Smith game manager and developing into Aaron Rodgers...

QB#1

SEASON  CMP  ATT  YDS     CMP%  TD INT
2015       229  408   3131  56.1    24  7 
2014       212  365   3214  58.1    24  8 
2013       223  380   2755  58.7    22  6

QB#2

SEASON  CMP   ATT   YDS    CMP%   TD  INT  RAT 
2015       296   443    3776   66.8   28   4   157.5     
2014       259   413    3031   62.7   22   9   137.6
2013       203   349    2056   58.2   9   10   110.4 

Anyone care to take a stab at what the MOST important thing is take away from those 2?

4 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Actually that was Steve Mariucci the Packer QB coach at the time Gruden was the W/R coach..:)

Good point, Savage.. No, but really... Maybe I came on a little too strong, but I have NEVER seen anything that Jaws and Gruden say as anything other than fluff or hype surrounding the draft. They seem like little NFL puppy dogs.

More importantly, If MAC thought that Connor Cook was worth drafting? Then I would trust his opinion on things. Mac has never given us any reason (not IMO) to call him out on things he does. He turned this team in the span of one season from a joke to a fringe playoff team.

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Here's the difference between being the next Alex Smith game manager and developing into Aaron Rodgers...

QB#1

SEASON  CMP  ATT  YDS     CMP%  TD INT
2015       229  408   3131  56.1    24  7 
2014       212  365   3214  58.1    24  8 
2013       223  380   2755  58.7    22  6

QB#2

SEASON  CMP   ATT   YDS    CMP%   TD  INT  RAT 
2015       296   443    3776   66.8   28   4   157.5     
2014       259   413    3031   62.7   22   9   137.6
2013       203   349    2056   58.2   9   10   110.4 

Anyone care to take a stab at what the MOST important thing is take away from those 2?

Ok try this one:

QB#1 
Year     Record     Ranked Opponents           Record Against Ranked OPPs
2013     3-9                      1                                       0-1
2014     10-3                    2                                       0-2
2015     9-3                      2                                       1-1

QB#2  
Year     Record     Ranked Opponents            Record Against Ranked
2013     13-1                    4                                       3-1
2014     11-2                    4                                       2-2
2015     12-2                    4                                       3-1

3 minutes ago, peebag said:

Ok try this one:

QB#1 

QB#2  

Yeah, I'll take the whole michigan state team vs the whole memphis team.  We are talking about drafting one player some of these 'team' justifications are the same ones used by the sanchez lovers in the crowd, even though he was lousy the team did okay thus he is really good. 

12 minutes ago, peebag said:

Ok try this one:

QB#1 

QB#2  

wins & level of competition has never been a great predictor of success, for a litany of reasons. Did Colt McCoy ever lose a game? All it is, is an extra level of scrutiny to help answer some questions. Less mystery... There are of course reasons why you would draft a power 5 QB over a Div-3 QB... but that talent divide exists at a fundamental level. 

Connor cook played against big 10 opponents... with big ten Teammates.... Paxton Lynch played with walks ons and scrubs who will be selling cars at Gary's Lot next year... Lynch deserves all the credit for those big wins over programs like Ole Miss. Connor Cook helped facilitate wins for the spartans.

There's a difference IMO.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah, I'll take the whole michigan state team vs the whole memphis team.  We are talking about drafting one player some of these 'team' justifications are the same ones used by the sanchez lovers in the crowd, even though he was lousy the team did okay thus he is really good. 

beat me to it by a min! 

The year after peyton manning left Tennessee, tee martin took virtually the same team to a national championship. Which qb would you rather have? 

Wins and losses in college football are meaningless.  

With that said,  lynch has far more upside but the same could have been said if people argued between lynch and brady.  Personally I'm not too high on either at 20. Both have enough question marks to drop to 2nd round.  

Archived